VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #6,766 of 7,982

My direct upgrade to the GR07 would be the CKR9, but I don't know if you want to spend that much or not. 

Used to read that joker really love his CK10. Using it as his benchmark (if I may say so) akin to RE272 is to ClieOS. CKR9 never cross my mind before as I was thinking the price might be fetching like 400++ or something. But at 200 region, I have to go read some reviews now.

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #6,768 of 7,982
Do these stand up to daily use on the move? Like can it handle some sweat, etc?

Yes. They are quite durable. The cable is very durable. Sweat on!

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #6,769 of 7,982
Used to read that joker really love his CK10. Using it as his benchmark (if I may say so) akin to RE272 is to ClieOS. CKR9 never cross my mind before as I was thinking the price might be fetching like 400++ or something. But at 200 region, I have to go read some reviews now.

I wld say AT-IM70 as well,a dual dynamic push-pull config,RC an added advantage.....you have enuff window to decide on your next iem tho, given your gr07s cable is not totally died on you but just the sheath started to gave up and you can tape up and continue using until its last breath......

Edit >>> correction-only ckr9/10 series are of dual dynamic push-pull config.my bad. :frowning2:

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #6,770 of 7,982
I wld say AT-IM70 as well,a dual dynamic push-pull config,RC an added advantage.....you have enuff window to decide on your next iem tho, given your gr07s cable is not totally died on you but just the sheath started to gave up and you can tape up and continue using until its last breath......

The IM70 is better than the GR07 for me because of the more 3d presentation and more natural and forward midrange, but I'd say the CKR9 is more of a match for the GR07 because of the IM70's much bigger bass and smooth treble. The CKR9 sounds much more similar to the GR07 than the IM70, even if I would rate the IM70 a bit higher overall. Also, IM70 is a straight line configuration; only the CKR series is push-pull.

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #6,771 of 7,982
The IM70 is better than the GR07 for me because of the more 3d presentation and more natural and forward midrange, but I'd say the CKR9 is more of a match for the GR07 because of the IM70's much bigger bass and smooth treble. The CKR9 sounds much more similar to the GR07 than the IM70, even if I would rate the IM70 a bit higher overall. Also, IM70 is a straight line configuration; only the CKR series is push-pull.

err my bad...thx for correcting zap.....so whats that diff ckr9s has besides double thr gr07 price....I was thinking its may be just below the woodies jvc fx750/850s......

Jan 25, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #6,772 of 7,982
err my bad...thx for correcting zap.....so whats that diff ckr9s has besides double thr gr07 price....I was thinking its may be just below the woodies jvc fx750/850s......

CKR9 compared to GR07 has much better depth and height in the image, better sub-bass, better layering, detail, etc in the bass. Mids are more natural, forward, and ethereal than the GR07. The treble is less sharp, but still very bright and detailed. The high mids can be a bit much for some people, but I love how they sound. Overall, the sound is much more realistic and natural. The bass is some of the best I've ever heard and can make you think you're listening to over ear headphones or even speakers on some tracks. Imagine a GR07 with more forward mids, a more forgiving (still bright, sparkly) treble, and more overall refinement and you'd have the CKR9.

As far as the JVC comparison, I think the consensus is something like CKR10=850 > CKR9 > 750. It all depends on preference though. Those who like intimacy, warmth and more mid bass will prefer the 10 where those who love clarity, detail, and airiness will prefer the 9. I've seen people say the 9 beats the 10, or the 750 beats the 9, etc. All about what you like. 

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #6,773 of 7,982
  My trusty R07 is beginning to show sign of aging. The cable is now deteriorating, exposing the inner cable. Any idea of direct upgrade for this? Or at least similar capabilities like the R07? Would like to try something else (I know the R07 Classic is still in production). Got the  RE400 in mind though.

i wouldn't say the re400 is a direct upgrade more like a "side grade" or an alternative

its a step up in terms of isolation and comfort (because of the super small footprint, i can't imagine anyone would put the words "uncomfortable" and re400 in the same sentence

build quality is really spotty on the re400s though i would have to say, mines have been babied for about a year and half now, still going (but they are not being used too often) just a few hours every few days.

soundwise as stated above, they are smoother and more easy going > the gr07( i have the be edition). and the treble is more polite, which i find better for classical music (where the piano notes seem a bit strident (maybe thats not the right word, my brains blank atm)

the mids are more forward on the re400s as well and i find they sound slightly more drier and transparent

after owning both of them i find its not really necessary to have BOTH. they overlap in many areas imo. 

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #6,775 of 7,982
This was the best purchase so far. I like this sound compared to the Ma750, and are wayyy more comfortable than the im50.

Any preffered tips or burn in hours
?

As far as tips go, I prefer the GR07 with wide bore tips, since they don't restrict the punch and snap. The downside with wider bore tips is that they can slightly further accentuate the treble peaks over narrower bore tips that tend to keep things more glued together and "compact". My recommendation, find some snappy metal music, if that is your fancy, and test tips until you find one that has the punch you want, and which avoids the upper treble sounding too whispy or resonant.

Feb 1, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #6,776 of 7,982
This was the best purchase so far. I like this sound compared to the Ma750, and are wayyy more comfortable than the im50.

Any preffered tips or burn in hours
?

cant go wrong with sony hybrids!

or the rha eartips =)

both are my fave so far gives the bass good oomph while the hybrids tame the peaks in the treble to some extent

the rha actually makes them a lot bassier and the treble a bit peakier and more emphasized (opposite effects but i like some variety) :D

Feb 1, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #6,777 of 7,982
+1 for Sony hybrids.

I'm using phonak pfe tips, I consider these the best of all

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #6,779 of 7,982
+1 for Sony hybrids.

I'm using phonak pfe tips, I consider these the best of all

yess!!! but where can i get em that can ship up to canada! earphonesolution is charging some absurd amount for shipping for a few tips =(.
  Yes, the Phonak PFE tips pairs wonderfully with the GR07. The Sony hybrid tend to cutoff the highs quite a bit for me.

but the sony hybrids are so comfortable thoughhh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back