VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
May 1, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #6,243 of 7,982
So I just realized I have to ask...

I've got my GR07 MK2 for about 2 months. Got them with the "Mark 2"-branded packaging, including the huge assortment of eartips in 2 plastic zip-bags, also the soft pouch with the "push-flap" at the top.

I just now realized that all the pictures of the Mk2 I can find are of the black shell variety, where the black eartips and the shell of the iem are the same tone of black-dark grey.

Mine are a lighter blue shade. Did the Mark 2s come in a blue variety aswell? I thought it was now only with the Classic Edition that they used the blue color (along with the maroon/brownish and silver colors).

Since some Classic Edition packaging were at one point incorrectly labelled "Mark 2" I therefor wonder if mine are in fact the blue-colored Classic Edition version, mistakenly sold by the dealer as the MK2 due to the packaging being labelled as such (though if it was the BE I shouldn't have gotten the huge tip assortment and pouch apparently, unless this was during a transition period for Vsonic where some early Classics had the MK2 accessories included).

Can someone shed some light? Just curious.

May 1, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #6,244 of 7,982
  So I just realized I have to ask...

I've got my GR07 MK2 for about 2 months. Got them with the "Mark 2"-branded packaging, including the huge assortment of eartips in 2 plastic zip-bags, also the soft pouch with the "push-flap" at the top.

I just now realized that all the pictures of the Mk2 I can find are of the black shell variety, where the black eartips and the shell of the iem are the same tone of black-dark grey.

Mine are a lighter blue shade. Did the Mark 2s come in a blue variety aswell? I thought it was now only with the Classic Edition that they used the blue color (along with the maroon/brownish and silver colors).

Since some Classic Edition packaging were at one point incorrectly labelled "Mark 2" I therefor wonder if mine are in fact the blue-colored Classic Edition version, mistakenly sold by the dealer as the MK2 due to the packaging being labelled as such (though if it was the BE I shouldn't have gotten the huge tip assortment and pouch apparently, unless this was during a transition period for Vsonic where some early Classics had the MK2 accessories included).

Can someone shed some light? Just curious.

Are they the same with the photo I posted above? If, yes, you got a pair of GR07 classic and you are right with your assumptions. If you paid 99 USD, that would be ok but if you paid for the price of MKII which is more expensive, I think you were cheated by the seller.

May 1, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #6,245 of 7,982
Well that clears that up then.

Mainly I want to know if I ever buy a 2nd pair that I can expect the same sound from future CE versions. I did pay more than 99 dollars, but living in Sweden and waiting a month for delivery, plus feeling like I got every cent worth I'm not really too upset.

I would assume though that there would have been "Classic Edition" printed somewhere on the packaging (as I recall the mislabelled CE versions had the edge stickers with MK2 print but "Classic Edition" somewhere on them aswell. On the packaging I got there was only Mk2 mentionings.

Still, if the actual CE version is pretty much the MK1 (including the slight sibilance tendency over the Mk2) and I also got the same tip assortment that MK1 and MK2 included, I'll gladly take it.

Thanks for the reply airomjosh, if anyone has some more info I'd be happy to know.

EDIT: I just checked, the warranty card which I saved in the pouch also says GR07 MKII. Were those also part of the mixed up packaging for the CEs perchance?

May 1, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #6,246 of 7,982
  Well that clears that up then.

Mainly I want to know if I ever buy a 2nd pair that I can expect the same sound from future CE versions. I did pay more than 99 dollars, but living in Sweden and waiting a month for delivery, plus feeling like I got every cent worth I'm not really too upset.

I would assume though that there would have been "Classic Edition" printed somewhere on the packaging (as I recall the mislabelled CE versions had the edge stickers with MK2 print but "Classic Edition" somewhere on them aswell. On the packaging I got there was only Mk2 mentionings.

Still, if the actual CE version is pretty much the MK1 (including the slight sibilance tendency over the Mk2) and I also got the same tip assortment that MK1 and MK2 included, I'll gladly take it.

Thanks for the reply airomjosh, if anyone has some more info I'd be happy to know.

EDIT: I just checked, the warranty card which I saved in the pouch also says GR07 MKII. Were those also part of the mixed up packaging for the CEs perchance?

quoting myself from  http://www.head-fi.org/t/699768/vsonic-gr07-classic-color-2014-edition-unboxing-and-first-impressions/150#post_10433183
There is a note here http://www.lendmeurears.com/product_info.php?cPath=15&=89
Note: Due to a mistake by the manufactuer, the seal as well as the warranty card states that it is the GR07 Mk2. However, please be assured that the model you are receiving is the GR07 Classic. 

When they begin to sell the Classic, it had the extras eartips.
But if you want to feel a little better: http://www.taobao.pe/product/13444490193/

May 1, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #6,247 of 7,982
May 18, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #6,248 of 7,982
So doing some more comparisons I was able to further articulate what I love about the GR07.

Their extremely excitable response to small differences in volume. Even if I EQ to make them similar in pink noise response to other, perhaps smaller or more conventional IEMs, they are extremely vibrant in terms of picking up small nuances and "lengthening" them. It must be the extremely light-weight driver and the other tech around it, but it feels like these can move in an instant and aren't as sluggish as other drivers can be.

So if you just play pinknoise, the randomly generated frequencies will be slightly "rippling" on the surface, like a pond with flowing water. The GR07 will make those details, and the contrast between them, stand out more. It's like the Photoshop equivalent of the clarity tool, which can increase contrast to, for example, make a subtle pattern appear more defined.

The "length" of the dynamics are also one of the biggest auditory queues for determining distance (a snare drum struck at 10 feet will have a loud snap at the very beginning compared to the body of the sound, where as a snare drum at 30 feet will have that relationship slightly reduced due to small reflections off surfaces blending in to diffuse the snap slightly, as well as having to move through alot of air will slowly loosing the edge of the sound. So even if you record the snare at 3 feet and 30 feet, and them change their volumes to play them at the same volume, the 30 feet sound will sound more diffuse and slightly less direct.

This helps to create the property of the GR07 I just love. They play sounds without smoothing over anything, and retain their energy through their entire range, rather than feeling sluggish or stiff (this doesn't help sibilance either, it will be flung at you with great articulation)
It's like the difference between trying to speak when your face is cold vs. warm. When you are cold, you can say pretty much anything (if we use this as an analogy for frequency response), but you will almost start to slur your speech slightly if you try to speak too fast, since your muscles can't get to where they need to be fast enough. So the articulation and enunciation  is not as good as when you warm up again.

I just got the Zero Audio Carbo Tenores, which are superbly balanced and extremely flat. Superb for analytical listening. But the surface of their sound them is noticeably smoother than the GR07s, even when correcting for frequency response.

Their speed and strong micro-articulation also help the GR07 be so incredibly non-fatiguing and airy and "light"/crisp-feeling. The articulation helps them be very clear, and your brain doesn't need to work as hard to discern the smaller details. Plus if you set the listening volume based on the loudest peaks, the body of the sound will be further away on the GR07s compared to other headphones, since they are "taller" in their sound. Other headphones can basically in comparison sound like they have had a very transparent, but still very real, compressor applied to them, making them sound less open and spacious.

So these were just some thoughts I wanted to articulate.

EDIT: To further illustrate the idea behind it, this is an image with different levels of contrast to it.

http://www.tocofi.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/high-low-contrast.jpg

They both contain the exact same information, but one of the images is clearly more relaxing and "easy" to look at, due to containing more "energy" and bigger differences in tonality.

May 28, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #6,249 of 7,982
Hey guys, received my GR07 last week and was really enjoying them... that is until they broke. 
Yesterday, I plugged them into my phone as usual, and the left ear would not play any sound. I tried a few other sources and concluded my earphone was at fault. Anything I should try before going through the trouble of sending them back to Hong Kong on warranty?

Thanks.

May 28, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #6,250 of 7,982
Ouch, that sucks. Good luck on the return, hopefully it won't be too painful.

I suppose the standard thing to check is the L-plug, I've seen some people mention that it seems like the weakest point (probably mostly the case though for headphones considering the stress put on it). Try carefully putting it to various angles and see if one angle will give you sound back. Not a solution obviously but atleast you can identify the problem area if the cable has problems.

May 31, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #6,251 of 7,982
  Hey guys, received my GR07 last week and was really enjoying them... that is until they broke. 
Yesterday, I plugged them into my phone as usual, and the left ear would not play any sound. I tried a few other sources and concluded my earphone was at fault. Anything I should try before going through the trouble of sending them back to Hong Kong on warranty?

Thanks.

Sorry to hear that (no pun intended), where and which model did you buy? I just got my first Vsonic (Gr07 BE) from Lendmeurears and I really like them like you but now I'm worried that my pair might break like yours.

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #6,252 of 7,982
my gr07 mk2 has developed a peculiar problem,,,,the right channel has about 5-6% less sound than left one,,,,untrained can't notice but its making me highly uneasy and i have stopped using them,using my monster pro copper instead.

what should i do??is it a case for warranty??i bought these in nov last year

Jun 2, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #6,253 of 7,982
my gr07 mk2 has developed a peculiar problem,,,,the right channel has about 5-6% less sound than left one,,,,untrained can't notice but its making me highly uneasy and i have stopped using them,using my monster pro copper instead.

what should i do??is it a case for warranty??i bought these in nov last year

Yes it is. Go through your point of purchase to open an a return.

I had exactly the same thing as you happen after I lent them out for a review on here, they came back and I noticed an imbalance with the right side being attenuated, mainly in the bass frequencies.

I had a great experience with Vsonic, considering mine were out of warranty and I essentially begged them to help me out :D You can read about it here if you like:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632207/a-tale-of-great-customer-service-courtesy-of-vsonic

I asked what happened and apparently the driver had become unstuck so, essentially, they glued it back. been fine since.

Jun 2, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #6,254 of 7,982
Yes it is. Go through your point of purchase to open an a return.

I had exactly the same thing as you happen after I lent them out for a review on here, they came back and I noticed an imbalance with the right side being attenuated, mainly in the bass frequencies.

I had a great experience with Vsonic, considering mine were out of warranty and I essentially begged them to help me out
biggrin.gif
You can read about it here if you like:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632207/a-tale-of-great-customer-service-courtesy-of-vsonic

I asked what happened and apparently the driver had become unstuck so, essentially, they glued it back. been fine since.

thanks man,,,because monster pro's are really killing my rock music with their bloated bass

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #6,255 of 7,982
Yep the GR07 kill it with rock! Best guitar and drums in the business.

It may not be a short process of sending them back but it's worth it. I understand you can take them apart yourself with a little patience and a hairdryer, but clearly the better option is to return them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back