VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Oct 24, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #4,261 of 7,982
I just received my GR07 in the mail today and listened to the first few songs. They're obviously not burned in, so I wasn't expecting much. I think they sound good, and seem pretty neutral. The detail is excellent. The treble is bothersome...not really with sibilance, but rather it just sounds quite...congested. I'm going to chalk this up to them being new, and I'm having my player play through some music on shuffle right now. The bass seems quite detailed and very quick. The midrange is really quite nice. On first listen, these didn't sound too dissimilar from my burned-in CX-300s, aside from the obvious amounts of detail, amount of treble, and speed of the driver. One hour in, though, and things are already quickly changing for the better.

My first impression is strictly with the stock eartips that came on the earphones themselves. I haven't had time to check the other tips, but I need to as the ones I used didn't stay in my ears very well...I can't tell if they're too big or too small. I'll try the bi-flange and then the foams next.

But first, I must study for tomorrow's organic chemistry exam...

I'll update my findings as the days go on.

One thing I must say...Skinny Puppy's Tin Omen sounds pretty damn good on these...

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #4,262 of 7,982
Quote:
I just received my GR07 in the mail today and listened to the first few songs. They're obviously not burned in, so I wasn't expecting much. I think they sound good, and seem pretty neutral. The detail is excellent. The treble is bothersome...not really with sibilance, but rather it just sounds quite...congested. I'm going to chalk this up to them being new, and I'm having my player play through some music on shuffle right now. The bass seems quite detailed and very quick. The midrange is really quite nice. On first listen, these didn't sound too dissimilar from my burned-in CX-300s, aside from the obvious amounts of detail, amount of treble, and speed of the driver. One hour in, though, and things are already quickly changing for the better.

My first impression is strictly with the stock eartips that came on the earphones themselves. I haven't had time to check the other tips, but I need to as the ones I used didn't stay in my ears very well...I can't tell if they're too big or too small. I'll try the bi-flange and then the foams next.

But first, I must study for tomorrow's organic chemistry exam...

I'll update my findings as the days go on.

One thing I must say...Skinny Puppy's Tin Omen sounds pretty damn good on these...

Congrats.

As for organic chem, I skipped almost every single day. This website taught me twice as much as my professor ever could: http://www.khanacademy.org/science/organic-chemistry

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #4,263 of 7,982
^ It will take some time adjusting to their signature, also they truly need 250 hours burn in. I know it sounds crazy but for the first 50 - 100 hours I didn't notice any change and thought what a waste of time, but in the end they pulled together, treble will soften slightly, dynamics will improve. I also felt an increase in separation.

Don't make the burning in a choir though, just use them normally and burn when you're not. It took mine a month to reach that many hours in-between listening. Most of all don't expect wow from them immediately, they will show you in time what GR07 is about.

Goodluck.

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #4,264 of 7,982
Oct 25, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #4,266 of 7,982
Quote:
^ It will take some time adjusting to their signature, also they truly need 250 hours burn in. I know it sounds crazy but for the first 50 - 100 hours I didn't notice any change and thought what a waste of time, but in the end they pulled together, treble will soften slightly, dynamics will improve. I also felt an increase in separation.
Don't make the burning in a choir though, just use them normally and burn when you're not. It took mine a month to reach that many hours in-between listening. Most of all don't expect wow from them immediately, they will show you in time what GR07 is about.
Goodluck.

I'm believing you about the burning in. I let them play overnight for 8 hours or so, and listened to them this morning. Quite a noticable difference in sound. The treble is much more detailed now and not nearly as congested. The bass is about the same, as is the midrange. Separation is very slightly better, too.

I finally got a chance to try some different tips that came with the earphones -- the biflange fits me the best, but makes the sound far too sibilant. The foams also fit quite well, but muddy up some of the very fine details ever so slightly. I tried a few of the silicon tips, but while they sounded good, they didn't keep a seal for longer than maybe five minutes. I need to try more sizes of the included silicon tips, as I only had time to try a few.

Hopefully the sibilance will settle down a bit as time goes on, so I can use those nice bi-flange tips. If I can't get a good seal out of the included tips, I'll purchase the meelec tri-flange set mentioned in the GR07 thread. I'll wait until the 'phones are fully burned in, however.

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #4,267 of 7,982
So the sibilance is apparent. This is my first IEM and I'm thinking I may return them. But I believe in a burn in so I'm waiting. But my main problem is they sound so muffled compared to my D5000's. I know I shouldn't compare over ear headphones but the whole muffled thing may be the deal breaker.

BUT

As I'm listening to them the details in these is great. I can't compare soundstage but it's pretty good. The mids are something of their own. Not excessive or recessed but nicely down. The bass though is good as well quality vs the quantity. In my opinion they are not warm. But these are some great headphones.

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #4,268 of 7,982
So the sibilance is apparent. This is my first IEM and I'm thinking I may return them. But I believe in a burn in so I'm waiting. But my main problem is they sound so muffled compared to my D5000's. I know I shouldn't compare over ear headphones but the whole muffled thing may be the deal breaker.
BUT
As I'm listening to them the details in these is great. I can't compare soundstage but it's pretty good. The mids are something of their own. Not excessive or recessed but nicely down. The bass though is good as well quality vs the quantity. In my opinion they are not warm. But these are some great headphones.

I understand what you're saying...

I never thought I'd say it either but after hearing T-Peos H-100K Hybrid yesterday switching back to GR07 MK2 was a touch difficult, and I've been a GR07 fan for sometime now. They still perform really well, their timbre may never be completely replicated but as you said muffled is how I described them after hearing H-100K. Completely different concept though Hybrid to dynamic..........

This does not mean they're a bad IEM they're indeed excellent you'll be hard up finding something better as an all rounder still.

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #4,269 of 7,982
After reading pages and pages and pages of reviews, comparisons, and what not, I have decided to order these. Hopefully they'll be here by next week! :)

Also, do you guys these are a considerable step up from the Klipsch S4? Those are what I have now and I was in the market for something better.

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #4,270 of 7,982
Quote:
I understand what you're saying...
I never thought I'd say it either but after hearing T-Peos H-100K Hybrid yesterday switching back to GR07 MK2 was a touch difficult, and I've been a GR07 fan for sometime now. They still perform really well, their timbre may never be completely replicated but as you said muffled is how I described them after hearing H-100K. Completely different concept though Hybrid to dynamic..........
This does not mean they're a bad IEM they're indeed excellent you'll be hard up finding something better as an all rounder still.

Quote:
BUT

It takes readjusting. After a week with my etymotic, my GR07 sounded like a 20 inch sub strapped to my brain.

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #4,271 of 7,982
After reading pages and pages and pages of reviews, comparisons, and what not, I have decided to order these. Hopefully they'll be here by next week! :)
Also, do you guys these are a considerable step up from the Klipsch S4? Those are what I have now and I was in the market for something better.

They will be a decent step up from your S4.

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #4,272 of 7,982
It takes readjusting. After a week with my etymotic, my GR07 sounded like a 20 inch sub strapped to my brain.

Haha....That's how they sounded to me yesterday exactly!, The bass was in ma FACE!. Funny you say that eke.

You need to hear those H-100K though. :wink:

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #4,273 of 7,982
Quote:
Haha....That's how they sounded to me yesterday exactly!, The bass was in ma FACE!. Funny you say that eke.
You need to hear those H-100K though.
wink.gif

Eh. Let me give my pocket a few days to recover

Oct 26, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #4,275 of 7,982
Quote:
After reading pages and pages and pages of reviews, comparisons, and what not, I have decided to order these. Hopefully they'll be here by next week!
smily_headphones1.gif

I have TWO pairs of S4s that have never been used again since acquisition of my GR07

Users who are viewing this thread

Back