VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Apr 1, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #2,911 of 7,982

Quote:
I noticed in the Joker's IEM review thread that you just ordered them. Try the tips it comes with before going on a tip hunt.

Actually, I was just answering someone's question about what tips will work best on the GR07, but thanks for the suggestion 
wink.gif

I just received my GR07 today, and I'm glad to say the stock tips works well with me, so I won't be looking for other tips...

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #2,912 of 7,982

Quote:
Actually, I was just answering someone's question about what tips will work best on the GR07, but thanks for the suggestion 
wink.gif

I just received my GR07 today, and I'm glad to say the stock tips works well with me, so I won't be looking for other tips...

Oops. I actually never read anyone recommend ADDIEM tips so that was interesting actually, not that I have any.

Hope you like them.

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #2,913 of 7,982

Quote:

It would be interesting to here your impressions as you just received them

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #2,915 of 7,982

eke2k6 and vwinter, both you guys own the GR07 and the Aurisonics ASG-1. How do you both compare them? 
wink.gif

It's a bit of a mixed bag, really. Here's a transcript of a PM me and vwinter exchanged about the same issue. Hopefully this doesn't violate vwinter's privacy: 

vwinter
Mar 31, 2012 at 12:33 pm

If you have time, I'm curious to know how you hear the performance of each on this song:
Mind Heist - Zack Hemsey

It's the song from from the main Inception trailer. Let me know if you want me to send it to you in reasonably high quality.

eke2k6
Mar 31, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Is it just me, or does the GR07 completely smash the ASG-1 in this track?

I'm hearing better bass rumble, more detail, better separation...just better overall tonality. At ~ 1:25 until near the end, the ASG-1 just becomes a mess. This is unfiltered one btw.

eke2k6
Mar 31, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I'm curious to see what you think

vwinter
Mar 31, 2012 at 5:17 pm

The reason I asked is that this is one of the few tracks that shows one of the GR07's few weaknesses that's due to the way it was designed to produce the amazing sound that it does. They seem to have used a lower output drive unit, once explained by mvw2 (sp?) on this forum, that allows it to have the speed and fatigue free sound its known for. Its because of this that I hear it lacking the power to reproduce this track in the grand scale that I think was intended. Its hard to verbalize what I'm hearing, but that was my best shot.

I pretty much agree with how you hear it:
Tonality on the GR07 is just great. It also hands the ASG-1 its hat when it comes to texture. This makes it seem like there is more detail on the GR07 but I can't really tell if there is really a significant difference in resolution yet (especially compared to the non-filtered). Separation sounds better on the GR07 but that might be because the parts that need separating after 1:25 are mostly higher frequency oriented and those take such a backseat on the ASG-1 that they just kind of get lost, whereas the GR07 has such great balance and everything is represented so well.

It kind of shocks me that I hear the black filtered ASG-1 to present music somewhat similarly to the GR07, fatigue free, just with great power and skewed to the low/mids and less clarity.

eke2k6
Mar 31, 2012 at 5:34 pm

I barely hear it that way. I recently switched to the large triple flange tips that came with the hisound popo (the meelec m6 large triple flanges may have the same effect), and those just took the GR07 to a whole new level of dynamics and bass rumble.

I'll compare again when I have the filters in hand. Thanks for showing me that masterpiece of a song.

eke2k6
Mar 31, 2012 at 5:36 pm

This may sound trivial, but I just love the way the "peeerrrrmmmm" sounds on the GR07 vs the ASG-1

eke2k6
Mar 31, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I wish PMs came with edit buttons :)

I can hear the power difference now that I'm listening for it, but it doesn't really change the 'enjoyability' of the song for me.

vwinter
Mar 31, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I suspect you might be right about a great change using different tips. I just find the stock tips to have the best clarity and comfort of any tips I've tried so I don't want to let them go. It's sad lol.

Maybe it has something to do with the authority of the ASG-1 mid-bass and the height of their soundstage...

vwinter
Mar 31, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Yes! edit buttons.
and YES! the "peeeerrrrmmmmmm" is the awesome GR07 texture I was talking about. It's soooo good.

The power thing is pretty subtle. It's like a heft to the sound that doesn't actually weigh it down. The closest thing that comes to mind is like being punched by a regular guy at 70mph vs getting punched by a sumo wrestler at 70mph.

I love the song on the GR07, it was just one of the first times a song made it noticeable enough to... notice lol. Austin Powers flashback.

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #2,916 of 7,982

Haha, you could have left out the part about the Austin powers flashback. You know, some tasteful editing to make me look good lol.

Just so everyone knows, these current impressions are based on ASG-1 with what appear to be 2nd version test filters. I'll take them out eventually, as they might not go back in unlike the production models, and post comparisons. From memory, the ASG-1 without filters had top notch clarity, detail, and imaging. Still less texture, accuracy, and transparency than the GR07 though.

I posted some comparisons of the unfiltered ASG-1 a bunch of pages back based on some HQ binaural and soundfield mic'd tracks that eke posted a link to.

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #2,919 of 7,982
Ok guys, but please tell me, is it a worthy upgrade/exchange? Or is it more a like side-step? 
rolleyes.gif

I hate to be this guy but it depends on what you want beyond what or different than the GR07 offers.

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #2,920 of 7,982
To me, it's an extreme sidestep. If what you want is more power and imaging, the ASG-1 will be an upgrade. However, the GR07 slaps the ASG1 in texture, treble, and I think it has more low end rumble because it's not being drowned by the mids. I'm about to go check my mail box to see if I got the ASG-1 filters.

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #2,921 of 7,982
Quote:
To me, it's an extreme sidestep. If what you want is more power and imaging, the ASG-1 will be an upgrade. However, the GR07 slaps the ASG1 in texture, treble, and I think it has more low end rumble because it's not being drowned by the mids. I'm about to go check my mail box to see if I got the ASG-1 filters.

By power you mean what, bass power? From your comment, I guess the ASG-1 aren't for me... I really enjoy the GR07, and I was curious about that big dynamic driver on the ASG-1, as it could be something like the GR07, but with even better bass impact... 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #2,922 of 7,982
No matter what I say about them being long lost brothers, the character of the bass, presentation, and treble presence are so vastly different that it's even hard to compare them without picking a part a specific aspect of sound reproduction.

About power, read the conversation, I know it's long but I do provide what I feel is a solid analogy about how the word power is used.

I personally really like both. It's like Yin and Yang, id and superego.

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #2,923 of 7,982

Quote:
It would be interesting to here your impressions as you just received them

I'm still new, but I'll explain it the best I can 
tongue.gif

Detail and clarity is just amazing, the GR07 really shows the flaw of some of my poorly ripped 128kbps songs
And I never heard a better soundstage in a IEM before, my best IEM's before this the HiSound Crystal, clarity is about the same...
Though my Crystals are warmer, with more mid-bass.... that's all I noticed for now...

Also, I haven't even burned them in yet... I didn't notice any sibilance even before burn-in, perhaps I'm just not sensitive to it, which is good

I'm hoping my GR07 will be even better after burn-in 
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #2,924 of 7,982

Quote:
No matter what I say about them being long lost brothers, the character of the bass, presentation, and treble presence are so vastly different that it's even hard to compare them without picking a part a specific aspect of sound reproduction.
About power, read the conversation, I know it's long but I do provide what I feel is a solid analogy about how the word power is used.

I see. Thanks... 
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #2,925 of 7,982

Quote:

Nice. Getting your Freud on, I see.

Although I like the GR07 more, the ASG-1 has a sort of rawness to it that works great with some genres. I was listening to some old Bob Marley songs, as well as some newer reggae, and the ASG-1 just sounds so...so...good. It's like when you have a sore muscle that hurts when you rub it, but at the same time it feels good so you keep rubbing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back