VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions
Nov 6, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #1,668 of 2,697
  Hail to the Collective Wisdom of the Forum!  Fifty hours and they are improving.  Also observed that with proper insertion I can no longer hear my ex wife's demands for more money!

You're 1/6 there!! I'm at about 200hrs and it has steadily improved. I have the Bass Edition and the major change happened at around 100hrs when the grainy treble has smoothed over. After that, improvements after that are slight: I'm noticing it's a little less sibilant now than before when listening to the same song. This may be a combination of 3 things: 1) physical burn in 2) brain burn in 3) tip selection and proper nozzle angle. I have settled with the double flange which gave me the best seal and comfort.

Happy listening!

Nov 6, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #1,670 of 2,697
  You're 1/6 there!! I'm at about 200hrs and it has steadily improved. I have the Bass Edition and the major change happened at around 100hrs when the grainy treble has smoothed over. After that, improvements after that are slight: I'm noticing it's a little less sibilant now than before when listening to the same song. This may be a combination of 3 things: 1) physical burn in 2) brain burn in 3) tip selection and proper nozzle angle. I have settled with the double flange which gave me the best seal and comfort.

Happy listening!

I'm looking forward to this change.  I have about 15-20 hours on mine at this point and I haven't really noticed a difference yet.  Compared to my LCD2's, the midrange is more recessed and the treble has quite a bit more grain and general unfriendliness.  Of course the GR01 has taken most of my head time since I received them, surprisingly I like them quite a bit more than the LCDs

Nov 7, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #1,671 of 2,697
I'm looking for an alternative headphone (< $500) that can sound like my gr07be (I love its low bass and treble extension). I listen to mostly symphonic/power metal (orchestra + opera + metal). I've been lurking around the headphone forum, but none of the hp seems to go well with all orchestra + opera + metal, have enough bass (I'm not a basshead) and good instrument separation. Currently I'm looking at Beyer DT880, Senn HD600, Grados 325i. Can you guys recommend me what you own? Thanks.

Nov 7, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #1,672 of 2,697
The HD600 doesn't sound like the GR07 BEs the mids on the HD600s are more forward and there's less mid and sub bass.

Nov 7, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #1,673 of 2,697
Treble is also quite laid back on the HD600s so a very relaxed listening experience

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #1,674 of 2,697
  I'm looking for an alternative headphone (< $500) that can sound like my gr07be (I love its low bass and treble extension). I listen to mostly symphonic/power metal (orchestra + opera + metal). I've been lurking around the headphone forum, but none of the hp seems to go well with all orchestra + opera + metal, have enough bass (I'm not a basshead) and good instrument separation. Currently I'm looking at Beyer DT880, Senn HD600, Grados 325i. Can you guys recommend me what you own? Thanks.

I use V-MODA M100s as my full sized headphone and I think they compliment the GR07 BEs quite nicely.  Slightly different sound sig, but to me, they are very similar.  Maybe a little more recession in the mids on the M100s, but only slightly.

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #1,676 of 2,697

ROFL! Prove it. What $15 set matches this $185 set?

with the GR07BE not yet burned-in and improper seal, then most of the $15 sets would sound better since bass is nonexistent and sound is tinny/trebley. I guess you didn't see he redacted that previous post with the following:

Hail to the Collective Wisdom of the Forum!  Fifty hours and they are improving.  Also observed that with proper insertion I can no longer hear my ex wife's demands for more money!

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #1,677 of 2,697
OK, maybe a $19 dollar set - fresh out of the box as I mentiined. At 100 hours there is a remarkable difference....as predicted by forum members. They are sounding pretty good now...the grainy harsh high
end has diminished, and there is some bass.As the break in period seems to be a known issue, I do not understand why the manufacturer didn't address it, or even mention it in the included paperwork. Calling them a.'bass" model is mystefying....but they are improving by the day.

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #1,678 of 2,697
Regardless of whether you believe in burn in or not, it is ridiculous to say that these can go from tinny crap to good IEM's because of burn in.

Actual physical driver change from burn in is minimal and can perhaps make a minuscule difference in sonic properties.

Mental burn in of course is much more real. Reality is in many ways defined by change in perspective. Not only in sound but everything else.

Magical change after 300 hours? 100 hours? Ridiculous. 

Sorry I just get annoyed by this once in awhile lol. It's okay to acknowledge changes in perception (and it doesn't make the change any less valid), but to say the IEM itself changes that drastically is stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back