VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions
Jun 27, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #1,111 of 2,697
Quote:
I bought Vsonic GR07 BE about a week ago and has nearly 20 hours on them. Up to now,  the bass seems very heavy and slow. And mid bass overshadows the sub bass. Sibilance is also there but that depends upon track. From I have XBA-3 and sony MH1C.. Both seems to have more controlled bass than GR07 BE. Weird.  I just expected opposite...... 

I'm a recent owner, too, and I have to say that these are almost the same feelings I had when I started listening to the GR07 BE. But in the last days, after almost 80 hours of burn-in it looks like the bass is not so heavy and "redundant", very small sibilance, if any. I think they have a pleasing sound to listen to...

Jun 28, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #1,112 of 2,697
8-month owner here. Still my on-the-go workout/school headphones. One thing I wish it had is a brighter signature sound like the one I get from my Senn's HD-280 Pro's. Although the 280's are closed full size headphones, it's what I prefer using when I am at home due to better comfort as well.

Jul 6, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #1,113 of 2,697
Hey just thought I'd add my impressions trying to find an upgrade to my current Shure SE215. After trying many other headphones (Jays, Monster, UE, Etymotic, Rock-It Sounds and Sony) I have to say that these are easily the best. Although the Rock-Its are exceptionally clear (but also super forward) and the Monster are fun if you're in the mood for bass.

I find the Vsonic GR07 BE to be fairly flat, clear and most of all clean. Very low distortion. Good isolation although good be better. The bass is well extended without being too boomy or overwhelming. The highs are extended as well and they can be a little sibilant they aren't too forward. All in all I find them to be well balanced and the best buy under $200. Good soundstage as well. Also an important consideration for me is sturdiness. I use my SE215 on the train, working out, on long international flights, everywhere. So I need something that can take abuse. So I think I finally have a winner in the Vsonics. And the candy stripe cord and huge assortment of tips is awesome.

The cable is a bit thick which is a pro and a con. It looks great and doesn't tangle easily. Time will tell how robust it is. My biggest issue is fit. With the default tips they don't seal in my ears and the over the ear portion of the cable won't stay in place. Switching to a larger tip fixed most of this but I hope the cable will develop a little memory.

All in all pretty darn happy.

Jul 6, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #1,114 of 2,697
Quote:
Hey just thought I'd add my impressions trying to find an upgrade to my current Shure SE215. After trying many other headphones (Jays, Monster, UE, Etymotic, Rock-It Sounds and Sony) I have to say that these are easily the best. Although the Rock-Its are exceptionally clear (but also super forward) and the Monster are fun if you're in the mood for bass.

I find the Vsonic GR07 BE to be fairly flat, clear and most of all clean. Very low distortion. Good isolation although good be better. The bass is well extended without being too boomy or overwhelming. The highs are extended as well and they can be a little sibilant they aren't too forward. All in all I find them to be well balanced and the best buy under $200. Good soundstage as well. Also an important consideration for me is sturdiness. I use my SE215 on the train, working out, on long international flights, everywhere. So I need something that can take abuse. So I think I finally have a winner in the Vsonics. And the candy stripe cord and huge assortment of tips is awesome.

The cable is a bit thick which is a pro and a con. It looks great and doesn't tangle easily. Time will tell how robust it is. My biggest issue is fit. With the default tips they don't seal in my ears and the over the ear portion of the cable won't stay in place. Switching to a larger tip fixed most of this but I hope the cable will develop a little memory.

^ Keep these on the burner, they will open up even more after 200hrs, no joke.

Glad you love them so much, these are pretty impressive i would have to say. If anyone wants a version of these on steroids check out the ATH CKS1Ks, holy smokes they are nuts!!! Makes these gr07 BEs sound almost too polite. haha
duggehsmile.png

Jul 7, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #1,115 of 2,697
Quote:

An excellent and accurate assessment in line with most of the impressions here.  These are easily the most enjoyable IEM I've found for under $200 so far, a tremendous value IMO.  The only other IEM I've heard that 'bested' them for me so to speak was the Sony EX1000, which is Sony's flagship IEM and is at least 2-3 times as expensive on average.  Even still, I preferred the BE not only because it was so close in sound refinement, but the driver was a tad bit quicker overall and they are about half the size of the Sonys.  Any of the GR07's are incredibly impressive for their price, and I often recommend them.  These do have a break-in or burn-in period, so once you hit about the 150 hour mark, the sibilance almost disappears and they really smooth out in the treble region.  Glad you're enjoying them!

Jul 7, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #1,116 of 2,697
Quote:
An excellent and accurate assessment in line with most of the impressions here.  These are easily the most enjoyable IEM I've found for under $200 so far, a tremendous value IMO.  The only other IEM I've heard that 'bested' them for me so to speak was the Sony EX1000, which is Sony's flagship IEM and is at least 2-3 times as expensive on average.  Even still, I preferred the BE not only because it was so close in sound refinement, but the driver was a tad bit quicker overall and they are about half the size of the Sonys.  Any of the GR07's are incredibly impressive for their price, and I often recommend them.  These do have a break-in or burn-in period, so once you hit about the 150 hour mark, the sibilance almost disappears and they really smooth out in the treble region.  Glad you're enjoying them!

I wonder why they discontinued the EX1000s... I owned the EX600s and loved them but after hearing the 1000s I wish I had made the jump and held on to them.

Jul 7, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #1,117 of 2,697
Quote:
I wonder why they discontinued the EX1000s... I owned the EX600s and loved them but after hearing the 1000s I wish I had made the jump and held on to them.

Not sure, I don't keep up with the Sony IEMs so I'm not even sure what is the current flagship, but I think they moved to multi-BA configurations instead of dynamic drivers.  You can still find the EX1000 on Amazon or Ebay used for around $350 sometimes, but new they go for about $450.  Still the GR07 is so close and thus is a far greater value IMO 
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #1,118 of 2,697
Just got my pair. Is there some mechanism to the pivots on the earbuds, like push in or pull out to lock it? I find that my right one will move all around with littler effort, but the left one does not move at all. I'm also afraid to push it too hard.

Not a huge deal as I don't find the pivot very important. Somewhat of a slight nuisance, actually, unless there is a way to lock them in place once you find the correct angle.

Jul 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #1,119 of 2,697
Quote:
Just got my pair. Is there some mechanism to the pivots on the earbuds, like push in or pull out to lock it? I find that my right one will move all around with littler effort, but the left one does not move at all. I'm also afraid to push it too hard.

Not a huge deal as I don't find the pivot very important. Somewhat of a slight nuisance, actually, unless there is a way to lock them in place once you find the correct angle.

It should be tight enough to hold it's position pretty easily, like your left side does.  You may have to contact customer support to see if it can be fixed or replaced if it becomes a problem, but as far as I know there is no locking mechanism.

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #1,121 of 2,697
Quote:
It should be tight enough to hold it's position pretty easily, like your left side does.  You may have to contact customer support to see if it can be fixed or replaced if it becomes a problem, but as far as I know there is no locking mechanism.

It's kind of the opposite. The left one doesn't want to pivot at all. The right does and it holds is position fine, it's more of a nuisance when I'm trying to put on different eartips.

Jul 9, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #1,122 of 2,697
Quote:
It's kind of the opposite. The left one doesn't want to pivot at all. The right does and it holds is position fine, it's more of a nuisance when I'm trying to put on different eartips.

Ah I'm sorry, seems I read your other post wrong.  They should both work the same though, but if it's too stiff for you to comfortably move it with fear of breaking it, then I'd definitely try to replace them or contact customer support for advice still.  They should both pivot freely but there should be enough resistance that they stay in place when they're in your ears like how you described the right one.

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #1,123 of 2,697
I finally got it moving when I was changing the tips. Definitely different resistances per tip, but it's not too bad.

On the note of tips, I found that not too many fit very well in my right ear specifically. I've always had this problem with the few IEMs I've had. My left ear stays sealed, but my right ear never does for very long. The two that do seem to fit well though are the foam tips and the bi-flange. I was originally using the foam tips but found the bass impact of the bi-flange much better than this or even the stock tips (might just be me or the fact I have more burn-in on them). Anyone else notice this?

Also, what did you guys use to burn them in? I've been alternating between bass-heavy tracks and pink noise/sine waves. Will running these things at the same time have any impact on the amount of time needed?

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #1,124 of 2,697
Quote:
I finally got it moving when I was changing the tips. Definitely different resistances per tip, but it's not too bad.

On the note of tips, I found that not too many fit very well in my right ear specifically. I've always had this problem with the few IEMs I've had. My left ear stays sealed, but my right ear never does for very long. The two that do seem to fit well though are the foam tips and the bi-flange. I was originally using the foam tips but found the bass impact of the bi-flange much better than this or even the stock tips (might just be me or the fact I have more burn-in on them). Anyone else notice this?

Also, what did you guys use to burn them in? I've been alternating between bass-heavy tracks and pink noise/sine waves. Will running these things at the same time have any impact on the amount of time needed?

Good to hear, they may even out over time.  I actually have this exact same fitment problem, but it's not so different that I can use 2 different sized tips effectively.  The right side always takes a little longer to get fitted properly for me.  Foam tips are no problem though, but I prefer the hybrid tips or just silicone in general.  I should try the biflange tips out, though I think they only come with one size so they may not fit.  I have read that the Meelectronics tips for the M6 http://www.meelec.com/category_s/379.htm perhaps I'll finally get a set to try out, but others have said they work well.

I just made a playlist and let it go on shuffle for burn in, I think I let them play for 2 days straight before I started listening again, so about 50 hours, but it's not until you reach the 100-150 hour mark that I'd consider them fully broken in.  For me, initial out of the box impressions were good but the upper frequencies were a bit intense.  After that burn in time, it was noticeably better, but after a few weeks they really smoothed out.  

What you are using should be fine, honestly just use whatever you're going to be listening to and it will work, you probably don't need to have multiple things playing at once though.  It's a bit of a wait, but it's worth it.  Also remember, when people talk about 'burn in' it's not just the drivers, but also your ear adjusting to the sound signature, which is commonly referred to 'brain burn in' on head-fi 
tongue.gif
  I believe that in most cases with hifi it's brain burn in, but in this case I think it's a combination of the two given the nature of these drivers, and that for once I actually heard a big difference in a few of my tester/reference tracks.  I'm honestly still amazed every day when I listen to these, they're just so fun and energetic without any major frequency range compromises.  I'm curious to try the standard GR07 sometime, if only to hear the differences with the slightly more forward mids.

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #1,125 of 2,697
Quote:
For me, initial out of the box impressions were good but the upper frequencies were a bit intense.  After that burn in time, it was noticeably better, but after a few weeks they really smoothed out. 

Oh yea. I actually had to delete "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen from my playlist because there's a harsh high pitch effect used once or twice in it that felt like it almost shattered my ear. Hopefully that will resolve with a bunch of burn-in time. I was playing it pretty loudly which I normally don't like to do, but I found I have to with the GR07BEs to get everything I wanted out of them (impactful bass).

So here's a question. If I want some more impactful bass, would any old amp give that to me without having to increase the volume? How about one with bass boost? I don't really want the bass to be more prominent so that it overshadows the vocals, just more punchy mid-bass so that I can feel the drum smacks. Can anyone give me some tests with their amps (specifically something like the Fios amps out of an iPhone 4s would be nice). Some test songs: Hypercaine by DJ Fresh and Ghostwriter by Dead Ringer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back