VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions
Jun 23, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #1,099 of 2,697
Quote:
I'm guessing more portable than the Mad Dog?  How do they compare to each other in your opinion? (I've not heard the MD yet)

That's actually a great question. I haven't compared them side to side...

There must not be an extreme difference because there isn't much of an adjustment (sound wise) when going portable with the BE.

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #1,100 of 2,697
Quote:

That's actually a great question. I haven't compared them side to side...

There must not be an extreme difference because there isn't much of an adjustment (sound wise) when going portable with the BE.

Going from portable rig to home rig immediately for me takes about 15 minutes to adjust to, but if there is a time gap it's not too big of an issue.  Once you get used to a signature you know what to expect to a certain degree.  I see you have two full-sized cans I'm curious to hear though, they've been getting a lot of praise recently. 
cool.gif

I was just asking because I know some people use their MD for portable use, but if you're looking for something more compact like a supra-aural on ear, I would definitely recommend checking out Joker's guide: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-107-portable-headphones-reviewed-astrotec-as-100hd-as-200hd-added-12-02-12 He is the guru of all things portable and his descriptions are very accurate, so maybe you can compare/contrast there. In this realm I've personally owned the Beyer DT1350 and tried both the Senn HD-25 and Audio Technica ATH-M50 (briefly) so I can recommend either depending on what you're looking for, but you may also want to check out the V-Moda Crossfade M-80/V-80 (not to be confused with the Crossfade LP).  

I originally pursued a portable headphone before checking out IEMs, and while I really enjoyed my time with the DT1350 (a wonderfully balanced signature, speedy driver and excellent isolation - highly recommended) I ended up selling them to help fund my full-sized endeavors and because I favored the comfort (I wear glasses and the clamp would become overbearing at times) and ultra-compactness of IEMs.  The GR07/GR07-BE are pretty excellent for the price, but as far as a similar signature in portable headphones you may find some more info on the standard GR07 thread.

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #1,101 of 2,697
Quote:
Going from portable rig to home rig immediately for me takes about 15 minutes to adjust to, but if there is a time gap it's not too big of an issue.  Once you get used to a signature you know what to expect to a certain degree.  I see you have two full-sized cans I'm curious to hear though, they've been getting a lot of praise recently. 
cool.gif

I was just asking because I know some people use their MD for portable use, but if you're looking for something more compact like a supra-aural on ear, I would definitely recommend checking out Joker's guide: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-107-portable-headphones-reviewed-astrotec-as-100hd-as-200hd-added-12-02-12 He is the guru of all things portable and his descriptions are very accurate, so maybe you can compare/contrast there. In this realm I've personally owned the Beyer DT1350 and tried both the Senn HD-25 and Audio Technica ATH-M50 (briefly) so I can recommend either depending on what you're looking for, but you may also want to check out the V-Moda Crossfade M-80/V-80 (not to be confused with the Crossfade LP).  

I originally pursued a portable headphone before checking out IEMs, and while I really enjoyed my time with the DT1350 (a wonderfully balanced signature, speedy driver and excellent isolation - highly recommended) I ended up selling them to help fund my full-sized endeavors and because I favored the comfort (I wear glasses and the clamp would become overbearing at times) and ultra-compactness of IEMs.  The GR07/GR07-BE are pretty excellent for the price, but as far as a similar signature in portable headphones you may find some more info on the standard GR07 thread.

I see what you mean by the 15 minute adjustment (after spending the whole weekend with my full size cans at home). It's not too much of an issue, though, like you said.

I don't have the kind of swag to pull off the MDs on the go... plus it's too hot here in Florida for those pads 
tongue_smile.gif
. So yes, a supra-aural would be more fitting. I had the Amperior but it was too U-shaped to go along with my other cans. It made more sense when I had the K702 Annies, but when i switched to the X1 and MD it stuck out like a sore thumb (sound wise). I have been looking into the M80 but have been told it doesn't isolate very well. Another option I've been looking at is the Momentum but that price tag is ridiculous for what it offers.

Yes, both the X1 and MD have been getting much praise and I love both of their distinct sound signatures. They are different but compliment each other very well. The levels, however, from bottom to top are somewhat similar (except for a slight difference in mids). I don't do well at describing sound so I won't even bother.

I am curious as to what your HE-500 sounds like. It was on my radar but I needed an open and closed option for home use, so I went with what I have. If I would have chosen the HE-500, I would not have been able to afford a closed alternative.

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #1,102 of 2,697
Quote:

I see what you mean by the 15 minute adjustment (after spending the whole weekend with my full size cans at home). It's not too much of an issue, though, like you said.

I don't have the kind of swag to pull off the MDs on the go... plus it's too hot here in Florida for those pads 
tongue_smile.gif
. So yes, a supra-aural would be more fitting. I had the Amperior but it was too U-shaped to go along with my other cans. It made more sense when I had the K702 Annies, but when i switched to the X1 and MD it stuck out like a sore thumb (sound wise). I have been looking into the M80 but have been told it doesn't isolate very well. Another option I've been looking at is the Momentum but that price tag is ridiculous for what it offers.

Yes, both the X1 and MD have been getting much praise and I love both of their distinct sound signatures. They are different but compliment each other very well. The levels, however, from bottom to top are somewhat similar (except for a slight difference in mids). I don't do well at describing sound so I won't even bother.

I am curious as to what your HE-500 sounds like. It was on my radar but I needed an open and closed option for home use, so I went with what I have. If I would have chosen the HE-500, I would not have been able to afford a closed alternative.

I was in a similar situation debating having an opened and a closed, but the isolation at home isn't mandatory.  I originally had the HE-400 and since moved to the HE-500 after hearing them at a meetup.  I had the BE before both, and I'd say it sounds closer to the HE-500 tonality-wise because of recessed mids in the HE-400.  The BE is still fairly neutral with the exception of a small bump in the midbass, so I imagine the original or the MKII sounds even closer in tone.  Based on your preference indications, I'm sure you'd love the HE-500, though it does require a good source to sound it's best.  Most of my head-fi related funds are currently going towards building an amp with a friend and a new DAC, so any other headphone adventures will have to wait.

With that, I'd definitely suggest checking out the DT1350 - Amazon has them for about $240 new and there's a pair for $190 used...plus you can also check out Ebay and the Classifieds here.  I got my pair new at full price so I'd consider either of those a great deal, and it's a much better headphone than the Momentum from what I've read.  Fit and finish is quality all around.  I ran them decently out of my Cowon J3 and my Galaxy SIII with no issues, but an amp (even a small one) could be of benefit.  They do isolate very well so you won't need to worry about driving them crazy loud to drown out any outside sounds, but do remember that they are technically 'DJ style headphones and have a bit of a clamp.  This is adjustable though if you bend the headband carefully, but fair warning if you wear glasses.  I did like that the cups swiveled so you can comfortably wear them around your neck.  
cool.gif

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #1,105 of 2,697
Quote:
My GR07 BE come with colored tips, the GR07 BE of the first page has black tips. Why is the Vsonic did it?

I'm fairly sure it's not a fake - this is how the latest packaging/accessories for the GR07 look now.  Not sure why they chose to do it exactly (maybe to differentiate themselves from the original tips that look like Sony Hybrids, perhaps a new silicone material), but my recommendation would be to order a set of authentic Sony Hybrid Tips as they fit perfectly and are a bit more comfortable IMO: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-BLK-Replacement-Earbuds/dp/B001RB24UA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #1,107 of 2,697
Quote:
My GR07 BE come with colored tips, the GR07 BE of the first page has black tips. Why is the Vsonic did it?

I've recently bought a GR07 BE from the UK warehouse of a reputable seller (mp4nation) and the sealed box I received had a different format: it was horizontally shaped instead of vertically. Inside it the iems had black tips mounted, however. It was one of the very few in stock, they were selling all of them.

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #1,108 of 2,697
Quote:
I've recently bought a GR07 BE from the UK warehouse of a reputable seller (mp4nation) and the sealed box I received had a different format: it was horizontally shaped instead of vertically. Inside it the iems had black tips mounted, however. It was one of the very few in stock, they were selling all of them.

Hmm, maybe they switched back to the standard hybrid tips while still using the newer packaging?  Perhaps the multi-color tips were a limited edition type deal.  I think what's most important is 'how do they sound'? 
tongue.gif
 Fantastic of course lol

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #1,110 of 2,697
I bought Vsonic GR07 BE about a week ago and has nearly 20 hours on them. Up to now,  the bass seems very heavy and slow. And mid bass overshadows the sub bass. Sibilance is also there but that depends upon track. From I have XBA-3 and sony MH1C.. Both seems to have more controlled bass than GR07 BE. Weird.  I just expected opposite...... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back