VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions
Jul 29, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #1,217 of 2,697
After 48hrs of burn in, the upper frequencies have smoothed out nicely. No roughness whatsoever. I love these!

CaptSharpe- these are not basshead IEMs and may still lack bass thump even with the Bass Edition title.

I have a limited collection, but from what I have, the Sony XBA-4 and the Meelec M-Duo have major bass thump without sacrificing clarity.

Others with more experience can give a better recommendation. And Joker's Multi-IEM review is a great resource.

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #1,218 of 2,697
Quote:
Are these only better over the mkii if you're a bass head? I don't listen to a lot of techno, but some tracks (e.g., zimmer soundtracks) could use a bit of thump, yet also wouldn't want to have less clarity.

I don't think a basshead would be satisfied with these.  I feel the Bass Edition label is added cause it has more emphasis on bass compared to the vanilla, but it's a far cry from a basshead IEM.

Jul 30, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #1,222 of 2,697
I think what's being forgotten here is how the bass fits into the presentation. 

The GR07's bass is one of the best I've heard in terms of speed, texture, extension, and impact. The quantity of the bass fits in very well with how the overall presentation is. That's why you rarely see anyone say the GR07\s bass is lacking.

Jul 30, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #1,223 of 2,697
If those are really your impressions, 20 years of "burn in" won't change them lol.

Every phone I have I listen through my fiio e07k(Andes), and after a while I just realized that the dac had the bass on +8, cause I was listening hip hop on my m50s, so I lowered the bass and things are now clearer... But not THAT clearer, unfortunately :frowning2:

I also bought some IE8's... Lets hope they arrive soon... But I still have faith on these iems!

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #1,224 of 2,697
Possibly you are not getting the best synergy with the e07k and the be's.

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #1,226 of 2,697
Quote:
I think what's being forgotten here is how the bass fits into the presentation. 

The GR07's bass is one of the best I've heard in terms of speed, texture, extension, and impact. The quantity of the bass fits in very well with how the overall presentation is. That's why you rarely see anyone say the GR07\s bass is lacking.

This sums it up perfectly, I agree.  All are quite neutral overall with the BE being the least so, but only off by 2-3dB.  It's a good coloration if you don't want your bass to interfere with the other frequencies, but still enjoy a warmer, darker signature overall.

Quote:

That sounds more what i'm after - not something overwhelmed by bass, but for it to just have a bit of presence.

Quote:
Are these only better over the mkii if you're a bass head? I don't listen to a lot of techno, but some tracks (e.g., zimmer soundtracks) could use a bit of thump, yet also wouldn't want to have less clarity.

I'd say if you lay somewhere between 'neutrality seeker' and 'basshead', you'll be right at home with the BE.  They are definitely closer to neutral than anything else with a 'BASS' label on the packaging, and I find their slight bass emphasis to be perfect for rock, metal and any type of electronic/techno/synth.  The BE will beef up something like Hans Zimmer's works without compromising the overall clarity (it will feel more cinematic, as his works are intended to be), but expect a slight dip in the mids at the cost of more bass presence.  It is quite minimal between the two IMO.

Or... the MKIIs are these without bass impact (unless the track is mixed with lots and lots of bass) + brighter + slightly more forward mids.

They're both good phones, but the vanilla gr07s are sometimes awkward with hip hop, because listening to hip hop w/o bass is like listening to rock while barely every hearing the guitar.

Brighter yes, but I found the treble to be almost identical.  The very slight added warmth of the bass bump makes the BE a bit darker overall.  The mids are a few dB more forward on the MKII, more in line with the lower and upper frequencies, and more neutral overall.  I think that the MKII are capable of some solid bass impact if the song calls for it, as I've found on some tracks, but the warmer, darker tone of the BE is my preference.  I believe any version is good, it just depends on what you're using them to listen to primarily.

Not really digging the bass edition. I feel like it muddles the mids compared to the original gr07. Also a bit silibant.

If you are comparing a brand new BE to a well used MKI, they will seem sibilant at first.  The upper FR does soften out a bit, even more so by some accounts for both the BE and the MKII, over the MKI.  I can't say as I've not heard an MKI before.  Comparing the MKII and the BE, I don't feel that the bass emphasis (and therefore mid recession) compromises the overall presentation, and I will say both are excellent 'genre masters' in their own regard.  Side by side, the BE is going to sound best with rock/electronic type genres, where the MKII is going to be best with vocal/acoustic.  I've read the MKII is the closest to neutral out of the three, most forward mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back