VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions
May 25, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #1,051 of 2,697
I
Not necessarily, but being strictly over ear and having adjustable nozzles, the GR07 does take some adjustment and getting used to initially.  There is a minor struggle every now and then to get them in place, but once they are there, they disappear (for me anyway).  Being adjustable, though, means that if the nozzle is moved, you'll have to re-adjust it again to your preferred position.  I've personally found silicone tips (stock and genuine sony hybrids) to be the best fit and most comfortable for long listening sessions, but either way you have to get a good seal for the best sound.  I think the overall presentation really comes together after about 50-75 hours of use.

I think it varies from person to person, IEM to IEM - some people have slightly different shaped canals in each ear, so getting a perfect fit with universals can be hit or miss.  I wanted to comment that I've also narrowed my next IEM down to the 5.0 as well, and recently it's been noted that it relies a good bit on the right tip for optimal fitment - I still think it will varies for everyone, though.

I sleep with my GR07's, like a baby.

May 26, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #1,052 of 2,697
Yesterday, I got to try the Sony EX1000 (EXK) which I believe are no longer in production, but you can still find them new for about $400.  While my demo was relatively short, I would say the BE holds it's ground to them.  Ultimately the EXK is the better, more refined IEM and has superb build quality, but they are considerably larger and had a slightly more noticeable presence on the ear while still remained very comfortable.  One of my favorite things about the GR07 is that it's small, it just vanishes once they've been seated properly in your ear.  Isolation was noticeably lower with the EXK.  Bass presentation was pretty spectacular, a slight bit more presence and refinement than the BE, but in terms of control and texture I felt they were on par...and the BE seemed a slight bit quicker.  The EXK so far is the best IEM I've heard to date, but am I going to sell my BE and pick up one?  Not likely.  For me, I don't feel that they are worth almost $250 more, and in my book (for portability sake) smaller is better.

May 28, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #1,055 of 2,697
Two quick questions please:
Has anyone encountered any hissing with the gr07 BE (after burn-in of course)?
Is there a loss in details between the gr07 BE and the gr07 or mk2 (some complain the BE sounds muddier)?
Thanks in advance!
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #1,056 of 2,697
Two quick questions please:
Has anyone encountered any hissing with the gr07 BE (after burn-in of course)?
Is there a loss in details between the gr07 BE and the gr07 or mk2 (some complain the BE sounds muddier)?
Thanks in advance!:D

No. No

Here is ijokers review of BE's. Scroll down a bit.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-281-iems-compared-vsonic-gr07-be-and-r02-silver-added-05-15-13-p-688/10305
Quote:
"The midrange of the BE is very similar to that of the original GR07 – what differences there are all stem from the more prominent bass, which upsets the bass-midrange balance slightly in favor of the low end and makes the midrange sound a touch more recessed. Aside from that, it’s still the good old GR07 – clear, detailed, and open-sounding. Compared to the less expensive GR06, the GR07 BE very obviously sounds clearer, more natural, and less congested despite the greater bass presence."

I'm with ijoker. Note however he is comparing to MK I. Mine are MK II's.

May 30, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #1,058 of 2,697
Describe what you mean by muddies. A part of the frequency being severely recessed might give me that impression. What the singer is saying would become hard to understand. Slightly recessed, no. Everything would still be perfectly audible/clear.

May 30, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #1,060 of 2,697
Quote:
Describe what you mean by muddies. A part of the frequency being severely recessed might give me that impression. What the singer is saying would become hard to understand. Slightly recessed, no. Everything would still be perfectly audible/clear.

Slightly recessed ~ muddies, forgive my ignorance. :D

What I mean to say is that to these ears, the BE makes everything less clear vocally. It's as if it's hidden behind the boomy bass. That said, thanks for taking the time to help me understand the difference. ie. muddies is more severe vs slightly recessed.

May 30, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #1,061 of 2,697
Quote:

Slightly recessed ~ muddies, forgive my ignorance. :D

What I mean to say is that to these ears, the BE makes everything less clear vocally. It's as if it's hidden behind the boomy bass. That said, thanks for taking the time to help me understand the difference. ie. muddies is more severe vs slightly recessed.

Dude, you're in a topic of a headphone which has BASS EDITION on its signature. If more bass means less quality on mids for you, you should not even be looking for it.

May 30, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #1,063 of 2,697
^ Whew! Glad we got it sorted out that the mid-range on my BE's is not muddied up - I was getting worried there for a moment!
wink.gif

May 30, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #1,064 of 2,697
I was just about to ask why do people get so defensive when someone dares to criticize something they own
confused.gif

Stop me if you've heard this before. We are all entitled to our opinions.

May 30, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #1,065 of 2,697
Quote:
I was just about to ask why do people get so defensive when someone dares to criticize something they own
confused.gif

Stop me if you've heard this before. We are all entitled to our opinions.

Personally, I'm more concerned about misinformation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back