VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions
Apr 5, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #616 of 2,697
Quote:

Hang onto them all long enough to include the XBA40's - that will be really interesting. But the 40's awesomeness depends greatly the source/amp, so I hope you've got the right one lined up.

Welp i have tried these gr07 BE with my E17 but it didn't do much if anything to them. These gr07 BE sounds best unamped since they can be driven to good volumes straight from my ipods.  Yeah the XBA 40s will be interesting to hear and compare for sure. Will see..................

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #617 of 2,697
Quote:
Can you try to listen to this song and tell if gr07 or fxz200 sounds better:

PLease listen in 720p.

Thanks.

Just listened to this song with the gr07 BEs/ ATH CKN70/ FXZ200s. All via ipod nano on "Flat" EQ preset.

FXZ200 sounded kinda dull and lots of the micro details seems to be lost. Bass is bold and has a lot of weight but there is not much texture to it. Vocals are good, but not that well extended and does not really stand out, hence further adding to the dullness of the overall sound.

CKN70 sounded extremely transparent, meaning that vocals are crisp/ clear/ well extended with a lush punchy fast bass, though not that much weight to it. Micro details are presented with a lot of 3Dness which floats from one side of your head/ ear to another. 

gr07 BEs micro details are apparent but not as 3D in presentation. Bass has good texture and weight to it but its not as fast as the CKN70s.  Vocals are pretty well extended but not as sharp/ clear as those of the CKN70s as well. So basically they are somewhat like a fusion of the FXZ200s and the CKN70s in sound and sonic abilities.

Right now I still think the CKN70s are much more versatile and engaging than the other 2.   

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #618 of 2,697
Quote:
Right now I still think the CKN70s are much more versatile and engaging than the other 2.   

Interesting. Any sibilance still, or has that tamed with burn in?

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #620 of 2,697
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, this might be mental burn-in or the real affects of burn-in but i am hearing more emotion in acoustic instruments and soundstage seems to have gotten a lot bigger.
triportsad.gif

What's going on here???
confused_face.gif

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #621 of 2,697
Quote:
Just listened to this song with the gr07 BEs/ ATH CKN70/ FXZ200s. All via ipod nano on "Flat" EQ preset.

FXZ200 sounded kinda dull and lots of the micro details seems to be lost. Bass is bold and has a lot of weight but there is not much texture to it. Vocals are good, but not that well extended and does not really stand out, hence further adding to the dullness of the overall sound.

CKN70 sounded extremely transparent, meaning that vocals are crisp/ clear/ well extended with a lush punchy fast bass, though not that much weight to it. Micro details are presented with a lot of 3Dness which floats from one side of your head/ ear to another. 

gr07 BEs micro details are apparent but not as 3D in presentation. Bass has good texture and weight to it but its not as fast as the CKN70s.  Vocals are pretty well extended but not as sharp/ clear as those of the CKN70s as well. So basically they are somewhat like a fusion of the FXZ200s and the CKN70s in sound and sonic abilities.

Thanks sfwalcer. I was rather wondering how bass sounds in FXZ200 compared to GR07. Which one do you prefer and why? I also feel like highs could be better with GR07, so I changed the EQ to give +1db to 12-14-16k. I feel like this helped. I think mids are indeed forward in GR07 (in a good way), at least sounds good to me now.

And in terms of speaking, I can only say 8 hours of listening all made the difference to me. I don't think this is evolving, not to say they sound bad now. 

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #622 of 2,697
So I'm still experimenting with tips. At least to my ear I can definitely tell the difference between gray foams and blue foamless tips. 

I LOVE the bass I'm getting from gray ones. They are just deep and tight but highs kinda feel veiled highs sound tamed, definitely no sibilance. When I try the blue foamless tips, highs just shine sound a bit harsher (but might dare to say a bit sibilant) and there is still very strong bass but it just doesn't sound as full and tight. I think I'd listen to instrumental with blue tips and electronic with gray ones. The best way I can tell how different bass sounds between these tips is the Swedish House Mafia's "Don't Worry Child". Starting at 0:22, there's very little tight bass in the background. Gray ones sound just more forward, feeling that little throbbing but blue ones treat that as non to little bass, flat.

The main difference with gray and blue tips is the placement in ears. The gray foams are supposed to go deeper in ear channel to produce nice bass and blue tips or all other non-foam tips would lose bass if they are inserted too deep in the ear channel. 

I can't say any of two is the best and would sound best for all genres. But I'm at least happy to know now the headphones themselves are able to produce nice sound that can be easily shaped/trimmed by tips. 

Verdict: I gave gray tips 24 hour listening, will do the same with blue ones. So far my preference is towards gray ones since I'm mostly listening to house music.

Can anyone share their own experience between dark blue foamless tips and gray foam tips? I'd love to read what others are hearing/thinking. 

Also can anyone tell me if there any other foam tips that fit in these babes? Do comply foam tips fit in these?

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #623 of 2,697
Quote:
Thanks sfwalcer. I was rather wondering how bass sounds in FXZ200 and GR07. Which one do you prefer and why? I also feel like highs could be better with GR07, so I changed the EQ to give +1db to 12-14-16k. I feel like this helped. I think mids are indeed forward in GR07, at least sounds good to me now.

And in terms of speaking, I can only say 8 hours of listening all made the difference to me. I don't think this is evolving, not to say they sound bad now. 

Welp albums there were putting me to sleep yesterday afternoon now sounds pretty awesomesauce now. These things are sounding a lot more lively and engaging across all genres now. Interesting.................

The bass sound crazy bold and powerful with certain albums on the FXZ200 "2.1 speaker" effect, but it lacks a bit of lushness/ texture. The overall bass quality is for sure better on these gr07 BEs, though it sounds a bit too tight sometimes, same goes for the mids. There is just this tightness to their sound, if the mids/ lows were more loose and fluid, it would sound even more amazing.

I guess burn-in is improving how these are sounding, just noticed this difference last night and thought i was trippin' cuz it was late. haha

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #624 of 2,697
Quote:
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, this might be mental burn-in or the real affects of burn-in but i am hearing more emotion in acoustic instruments and soundstage seems to have gotten a lot bigger.
triportsad.gif

What's going on here???
confused_face.gif

Seriously? This is the thing that's driving me crazy though. Sometimes these headphones sound like 500$ pieces but then sometimes they don't sound as that good. 

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #625 of 2,697
Quote:
Welp albums there were putting me to sleep yesterday afternoon now sounds pretty awesomesauce now. These things are sounding a lot more lively and engaging across all genres now. Interesting.................

The bass sound crazy bold and powerful with certain albums on the FXZ200 "2.1 speaker" effect, but it lacks a bit of lushness/ texture. The overall bass quality is for sure better on these gr07 BEs, though it sounds a bit too tight sometimes, same goes for the mids. There is just this tightness to their sound, if the mids/ lows were more loose and fluid, it would sound even more amazing.

I guess burn-in is improving how these are sounding, just noticed this difference last night and thought i was trippin' cuz it was late. haha

So you're saying the GR07 is this:

tumblr_m29ow3ld0P1qefm89o1_500.jpg

But sometime you prefer this FXZ-200's bass, which is this:

huge_ass_by_thatdude34-d41rnhq.jpg

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #626 of 2,697
Quote:
So I'm still experimenting with tips. At least to my ear I can definitely tell the difference between gray foams. 

I LOVE the bass I'm getting from gray ones. They are just deep and tight but highs kinda feel veiled. When I try the blue foamless tips, highs just shine sound better (but might dare to say a bit sibilant) and there is still very strong bass but it just doesn't sound as full and tight. I think I'd listen to instrumental with blue tips and electronic with gray ones.

The main difference with gray and blue tips is the placement in ears. The gray foams are supposed to go deeper in ear channel to produce nice bass and blue tips or all other non-foam tips would lose bass if they are inserted too deep in the ear channel. 

I can't say any of two is the best and would sound best for all genres. But I'm at least happy to know now the headphones themselves are able to produce nice sound that can be easily shaped/trimmed by tips. 

Can anyone share their own experience between dark blue foamless tips and gray foam tips? I'd love to read what others are hearing. 

Also can anyone tell me if there any other foam tips that fit in these babes? Do comply foam tips fit in these?

Welp to make you feel better i am still on my MH1C tips. LoL

SO no tips/ source has been changed, but the sound sure seem to have!!!

Quote:
Seriously? This is the thing that's driving me crazy though. Sometimes these headphones sound like 500$ pieces but then sometimes they don't sound as that good. 

Well i am not sure about these sounding like $500 pieces, but they do sound good. But noticed one major flaw with them but burn-in seems to be improving it. Let me guess, sometimes the music sounds flat and life less as hell am i correct???

Apr 5, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #628 of 2,697
Quote:
Welp to make you feel better i am still on my MH1C tips. LoL

SO no tips/ source has been changed, but the sound sure seem to have!!!

Well i am not sure about these sounding like $500 pieces, but they do sound good. But noticed one major flaw with them but burn-in seems to be improving it. Let me guess, sometimes the music sounds flat and life less as hell am i correct???

Flat that a bit fatiguing but this happens very rarely so can't make my mind up about these. By this I mean they are definitely the best of I've used so far (I've not listened to a Westone 4 or a se535) but sometimes these are surprising me in good (mostly) and bad ways (bads rather rare and not sure)

Apr 5, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #629 of 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_shooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Verdict: I gave gray tips 24 hour listening, will do the same with blue ones. So far my preference is towards gray ones since I'm mostly listening to house music.

Can anyone share their own experience between dark blue foamless tips and gray foam tips? I'd love to read what others are hearing/thinking.

I know this is ear canal size dependent, but have you tried the light blue (almost white) foamless tips yet? I get a much better seal with them, which results in the bass being basstastic, and also I find the treble to be tamed just slightly (which for me works big time).

Also, how many hours of burn in do you have on them?

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #630 of 2,697
Quote:

I know this is ear canal size dependent, but have you tried the light blue (almost white) foamless tips yet? I get a much better seal with them, which results in the bass being basstastic, and also I find the treble to be tamed just slightly (which for me works big time).

Also, how many hours of burn in do you have on them?

I've got them on Wednesday around 6PM. Listened 4-5 hours that night. Yesterday 4-5 more. Today so far 5 hours and 3-4 more to come.

So total 15 hours. Do you max out while burning in?

And as the tips go, I'll give it a try to light blue ones. When I first tried them (my first listening was on them), I didn't like them much but since I'm feeling sound has improved vastly, I'll give them another try after some burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back