VSONIC GR01: A review (salt not included)
Apr 13, 2012 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Reomero

500+ Head-Fier
 ​
(All images can be clicked to enlarge)

Introduction
I am fairly new to this hobby, and the GR01s are the first dual-BA (TWFK) IEM I have heard (so I can’t make comparisons against its other obvious competitors). I also don’t have a lot of experience with other IEMs and most of the listening was done through my 4th-gen iPod Touch, because right now, I can’t justify buying an amp/DAC. I’m not bothered in getting a cheaper amp/DAC either as I believe that the improvements in overall SQ are negligible, and only causes me want to hurt my wallet more, causing me to continue climbing this incredibly tall ladder. Being a newbie some adjectives I use may be interpreted differently by you, than I interpret it; and this is also my first attempt at a “good” review. Therefore a decent amount of salt should be sprinkled over my review. 
wink.gif

My GR01s were purchased from LendMeURears, and was lucky to pick them up at the lower price of $190SGD while they were on sale (approx. $151USD at time of writing).

Packaging & Accessories
The GR01s came in a plastic box with a window showcasing the IEMs themselves and part of the large array of tips they come with. My pair came with twelve tips:  three different sizes of silicon tips and a pair of bi-flanges, another six varying sizes of Sony Hybrid lookalikes, plus three more of the Hybrid lookalikes that have foam stuffed in them. It also came with a soft carrying pouch which appears to be made of pleather. It may be quite hard to open at first, as the metal which keeps it shut is very stiff, but it does loosen up after a while due to use. The case, although great, is not as great as the hard clam-shell case that came with the previous packaging-style Vsonic used. Unfortunately it also doesn’t come with a shirt clip, which would help a lot in eliminating most of the microphonics.

Build
When I first saw the GR01s nestled in their packaging, I was surprised at how small they are (smaller than HF5s). Although I am aware that some of you won’t be as you are already familiar with other dual-BAs such as Logitech’s UE700, which (judging by images) look tiny.
The Vsonics have a metal housing with a plastic/rubber rear, which also becomes the strain relief. The nozzle also has a metal filter which can be removed by unscrewing, although it is possible for it to come off quite easily. I say that because with my experience on the left earpiece, the filter is quite prone to being twisted loose as I insert it into my ear. I feel that the housings used are very durable, and should last for quite some time.
I am underwhelmed by the GR01’s cable, because it simply appears to be quite cheap, and looks akin to some cliché cheap IEMs when compared directly to the GR07’s more confidence-inspiring cable. The cable is actually quite good. Saying that they're akin to some cheap IEMs was a huge overstatement. They might look thin and maybe even "weak" to some extent, but they're actually fairly strong (sheathed in TPU  a very strong polymer). Although I still have more confidence in the GR07 cable, I have more confidence in the GR01 cable compared to the one used on the HF5, despite being coated in kevlar.
The cable doesn’t have a chin slider, which would have been a nice addition, but instead the cable was still stuck together after the Y-split and had to pull them apart to the desired length. The cable is thin and is terminated by an L-jack. There is no strain relief at the Y-split, but the strain relief at the L-plug is actually soft and actually works contrary to the GR07’s cable. 

Comfort
Wearing these, to me, is similar to wearing the Etymotic IEMs where it is inserted deeply in the ear canal. I had originally found inserting it quite deep to be uncomfortable, but fortunately I have grown accustomed to this depth in insertion. With that said: if the idea of inserting something deeply into your ears scares you, I guess you should skip over to another IEM. But, I just want to add that although it may be uncomfortable initially, you will get used to it over time. As it fits quite deep, it isolates very well, although not quite on par with the Etymotics. Microphonics is also quite an issue when it comes to wearing these cable down, but diminishes when worn over-the-ear. Having become accustomed to the deep fit, these IEMs are comfortable; however I’m not going to say that they are very comfortable. Compared to the GR07 (taking only stock tips into account), the GR07s to me are much more comfortable.

With MEElec Triple-flanges, the fit and isolation goes on-par to my HF5 (i.e, very, very comfortable)

Sound impressions
Now comes the part where most people scroll down to when looking at a review. The other IEMs I used for listening while doing this review are the GR07s and the Etymotic HF5. Coming from the GR07, and seeing as these are Vsonics’ new and current flagship IEM, I was intrigued at how well these can perform knowing how good the GR07s already are. When I first unboxed these I was already quite excited to plug them in and listen. Already having read reviews of other TWFKs, I expected them to be quite bright, and to perhaps be unsatisfied with the bass.

The GR01s has a tough time competing with the GR07 in the bass, as the GR07 sets the standard for me in this area. Stating before that my expectation was to be underwhelmed by the bass, I was wrong. The GR01s surprised me with its bass presence. It isn’t lean like the HF5s, and is able to provide decent quantity when a track calls for it. The bass is quick, and has the edge over the already quick GR07. In terms of weight, the GR01 lags slightly behind. The weight of the drums in metal and hard rock feels much more satisfying with the GR07s. Obviously, I can’t discern a mid-bass bump, and overall the bass is very well controlled with good punch.

I found the mids of the GR01 to be somewhat similar to the GR07, although that touch of warmth present in the GR07 is not present in the GR01. The mids are very clear and detailed, edging out the GR07. As easy as I found it already to pick up on tiny nuances in a recording with the GR07, the GR01s were able to pick these up easier. In terms of vocals, to my ears, the GR01 loses out slightly to the GR07. The vocals are forward in the GR01, but to me, it doesn’t have enough emotion and that ‘delicateness’ in comparison to the GR07. Switching to the HF5s after listening to some classical pieces on the GR01, the GR01s somehow made the HF5s to sound tonally ‘off’, in the sense that the instruments just didn’t sound ‘right’.

Moving on to the treble, the GR01s are relatively smooth, yet being quite forward. Cymbals on the GR01 sound very clear and refined and violins have that added brilliance to them. I also feel that the GR01s is more resolving, and is better at presenting microdetail to the listener compared to the GR07. In a certain track (“Make Fun” – Perfect Future) I could actually hear the cymbal in the opening seconds of the song to ‘splash’ (sorry but I don’t know how else to explain). Prior to hearing this track with the GR07, that particular cymbal hit sounded like it was smoothed over, taking away the crispness I encountered with the GR01. The GR01s are also prone to sibilance, although not as much as the GR07s when the GR01s are inserted properly. If the GR01s are inserted too shallow, the sibilance is quite overwhelming to me, in that it accentuates sibilance already present in a recording, enough so that it makes me take them out of my ears. Overall the treble is very competent, and I’m pleased with the amount of sparkle and detail they present.

The presentation of the GR01 is similar to the GR07, although not as wide, and doesn't feel as 'closed-in' as the HF5s. Instead the headstage to me feels round and presents the music as if its front of me. I also find instruments to be well placed. For example, the placement of the drums' components are 'just right' to my ears, instead of being too close when using the HF5s. When it comes to instrument separation, I feel that the GR01s just manages to pass the GR07s in this aspect, even though the GR07s are already very good at separating the individual instruments in a recording.

Conclusion
Imagine the GR07 with a better refined and slightly more prominent treble, with the bass quantity, weight, and rumble toned down slightly. With that said, I suggest bassheads to look away (why would you be looking at a TWFK in the first place?). The bass is well controlled and will show up when called for, though obviously not enough to satisfy a basshead, but is adequate for me personally. In terms of what genres the GR01s can handle, they are like the GR07s, in that they can handle basically any genre you throw at them; but I’d still prefer to avoid any bass-heavy genres as the quantity won’t suffice, although the bass does extend deep and has good punch.

I wouldn’t consider the GR01 as an upgrade from the GR07 although it is better in its technical ability. I regard it to be as a complement in the sense that if I want to listen to bass-heavier music, I can rely on the GR07, and switch to the GR01 if the treblehead (no that doesn’t mean I’m a treblehead) within me craves sparkle.

To sum up its sound signature, the GR01s are quite natural with forward vocals, and with slight bias towards the higher frequencies.

Additional images
 ​
Packaging
 ​
The L-jack.
 ​
Tips removed, and metal filter unscrewed. Filter paper​
that goes behind the metal mesh is also shown.​
 ​
 ​
Thanks for reading my review! 
smile.gif
 ​
 ​
 ​
EDIT #1: Tried these with tri-flanges and it feels much more comfortable now compared to using the single flanges they came with.

EDIT #2: Changed my impression on the cable.

EDIT #3: Updated my thoughts about the comfort.

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 20
Nice writeup! The cable is disappointing to read about, as the GR07's cable (especially the revised version) is quite nice. Glad to see that VSONIC put actual work into port length and filter tuning, though. That sets them apart from all the other TWFK offerings out there, though I still feel they missed out on implementing different filters for different signatures a la Phonak and AKG. Hopefully, that will come with the GR08... *fingers crossed*

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 20

Agreed, good job. I'm in the same boat with the DAC/AMP situation. I've been looking at the Audinist MX-1 for weeks just itching to click the buy button but always talk myself out of it.

Quote:
Nice writeup! The cable is disappointing to read about, as the GR07's cable (especially the revised version) is quite nice. Glad to see that VSONIC put actual work into port length and filter tuning, though. That sets them apart from all the other TWFK offerings out there, though I still feel they missed out on implementing different filters for different signatures a la Phonak and AKG. Hopefully, that will come with the GR08... *fingers crossed*

They should have done it here, for the GR01. I have a feeling that if they do with the GR08, people are just going to scream ripoff. They're probably too busy trying to figure out how to stuff 6 drivers into one earpiece anyway
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #8 of 20

Thanks guys. 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
The cable is disappointing to read about, as the GR07's cable (especially the revised version) is quite nice.

Perhaps I was a bit too harsh on the GR01's cables. I do think that they are fairly good, and feels quite strong, but again, next to the GR07 the cable on the GR01 doesn't seem 'good enough'.

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #9 of 20
Fantastic review. Also, I love how classy these headphones look, and they seem to be very durable 

I think I'll end up buying them pretty soon (gasp!!!!)

And I've already spent some money on the TripleFi 10's and UE 700's (ohh... damn)

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #10 of 20

Quote:
Thanks guys. 
beerchug.gif

Perhaps I was a bit too harsh on the GR01's cables. I do think that they are fairly good, and feels quite strong, but again, next to the GR07 the cable on the GR01 doesn't seem 'good enough'.

In GR07 is the best stock iem cable that I saw, nice !!! and yes seems to be worse in GR01

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #13 of 20
I have just been testing my GR01 which I received today. After trying a couple of the eartips I noticed the paper and metal filter for one of the two pieces is missing! lol! The filter turns down the overall sound volume A LOT: 50% at least! I'm not sure if I can find the other little two-piece filter, and I don't know yet how much this affects the sound quality or signature. I took the filter from the other one out and the thing now sounds fine, I think.

But if the filter is really important for the sound to be good, this is really stupid: the filter easily goes missing after a few times changing the tips and they're so small it's hard to even notice this. A warning about this may have made a difference.

By the way. these fit in my custom Etymotic earplugs almost perfectly (in place of the ER-25 filters) and they sound better with the earplugs than with the smallest included tips. (my ear canals are much smaller than average I think, and not exactly round-shaped like the tips). Sound quality/signature is ok with the customs but with the tips it was pretty much total crap, having way too much treble and extreme sibilance (and muddy-sounding mids, though out of all that mess I could still notice some details I didn't hear before from my Mackie desktop monitors. I'm listening to them right now (obviously with the filter removed) but don't know if I can say all that detail is now present without the filters. Not listening to the same tracks yet but the thing doesn't sound really detailed anymore.

(These are my first relatively expensive earphones.)

Seeing any comments from people who own these would be appreciated.

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #14 of 20
Hmm actually I just re-inserted the filter into the left piece and don't notice any difference in the overall volume this time! Not sure what it was that made the big difference in the volume of the channel last time I had the filter in, cause they fit perfect in the earplug!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back