VSonic GR-07 vs Westone UM3x
Jul 26, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 42
Although I'm one of those people who've mentioned that the two are similar, they're really only similar in that they tend to the side of warmth while maintaining detail and clarity amidst neutrality, and impart great instrumental separation. These qualities, along with very good comfort for both IEMs, give both the GR07 and the UM3x an edge when it comes to professional monitoring. The similarities end here.

I don't have the UM3x but have listened to it on multiple, extended occasions and can compare it to the GR07 that I have. The UM3x is much more intimate feeling than the GR07; voices are very separated from the music, up close and detailed. The rest of the music doesn't feel very dynamic, although separation and imaging are superb. On the other hand, the GR07 is more laid back in the vocals, but still quite detailed. Personally, I feel the GR07 has greater overall control over the bass than the UM3x, and more detailed in this lower spectrum as well. The GR07 is designed to be well extended on both ends, but tends toward sibilance and has a slight lower treble hump. The UM3x, in my memory, is a bit flatter up top. The GR07 is vented, and therefore will be a little less isolating. Its housings are less bulky, though. Lastly, we need to keep in mind the natural differences in the rendering of sound between dynamic and balanced armature based IEMs.

Both are great IEMs, with the GR07 being a bit more affordable. I used to lust over the UM3x until I got my GR07. I would still pick the UM3x up should I ever accrue some spare change, though.

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #3 of 42
UM3X has a very unique trait of providing a weighti-ness to the bass without being overbearing or bass heavy.  There is very nice impact that is missing from so many other phones.  Exceptional for a BA.

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #4 of 42
They certainly do have some similarities. I dubbed the GR07 "the dynamic version of the um3x" after hearing it.

I need a GR07 to partner with my UM3x :frowning2: the reachable price doesnt help my itch for it either

Jul 26, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 42

Quote:
They certainly do have some similarities. I dubbed the GR07 "the dynamic version of the um3x" after hearing it.

I need a GR07 to partner with my UM3x :frowning2: the reachable price doesnt help my itch for it either

Head-Fi, the only place in the world where one needs a top-tier universal IEM to 'partner' another top-tier universal IEM that arguably sounds quite alike...

Jul 26, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 42
I know right? Man this hobby is making me crazy 
rolleyes.gif

What the UM3x has over the GR07 is the detail and instrument separation which it still does better and is still the better performer overall. However what it lacks is the Soundstage and the Dynamic PRaT which BA IEMs simply cannot reproduce. The non-fatiguing dynamic bass on the GR07 is another great selling point.

Quote:

Head-Fi, the only place in the world where one needs a top-tier universal IEM to 'partner' another top-tier universal IEM that arguably sounds quite alike...

Jul 26, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #7 of 42
Thanks for all very very much!
I was having a lot of earphones but Vsonic R-07 are something from space for me. Loved them for all time when i was using them. They are better than SE535 for me and for some of my friends.
I'm very interested in Westone.
So what will be better Vsonic R-07 or  Westone UM3X?
Lets take only sound. Really interested with opinions of headfi'ers:)

Jul 27, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #8 of 42
I think it depends on the way you use your IEMs. Unamped, the UM3x is probably a bit better than the GR07 in terms of detail and instrumental separation. I've never heard the UM3x amped, but when the GR07 are amped, they are about as detailed as dynamic drivers get. The UM3x is overall warmer. It has more bass, although faster and less impactful than the GR07. The GR07 is slightly more detailed in the bass IMHO. You can't really say definitively that one has better SQ over the other, since dynamic and BA drivers are so different.

The Sensaphonics Japan k-phonics K2 SP seems to be the perfect marriage between the GR07 and the UM3x. It's quite an exotic IEM, though; they're quite pricey and only a very small handful of head-fiers have actually heard them, but they come highly recommended by the top reviewers, like ClieOS & shigzeo.

Jul 27, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #9 of 42
Thanks a lot Tomscy2000!
I don't hear a big difference between 3-drivers IEMs when they are amped or unamped. But with dynamics and 1-driver i'm hear a lot.
UM3X is the last BA earphones which i want to try, others i've had.
I'm loving big soundstage, really good instrumental separation, and universal sound for all kind of music (especially rock).
SE535 i don't like, TripleFi's+EQ=better for me. Now i'm with Ety er4P, i need more separation (i don't like using amp but i know that it helps with them).
R-07 are quite good even from my iTouch4G, so i can save a lot of money to be quite happy, or maybe UM3x will make me the happiest man:)

Ok lets throw out prices. What users will prefer more R-07 or UM3X?
Just "R-07" or "UM3x":)

Jul 27, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 42
Well you get to tell people LOOK!! I've got THREE SPEAKERS IN ONE EAR!!!  aint that cool!!??  with the UM3X

but with the Gr07, you can say HEY!! I've got fungus-grown speakers in my ear!!!  BIOTECHNOLOGY!!!

as a biotechnologist, I will by default choose the latter..

Jul 28, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #11 of 42
This is not really true to count drivers in ears.
My Ety er4p won SE535 in every aspect, IMO. 

Only sound, only preferences!

Ok! First + for R-07 :)

Jul 28, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #12 of 42

Quote:
This is not really true to count drivers in ears.
My Ety er4p won SE535 in every aspect, IMO. 

Only sound, only preferences!

Ok! First + for R-07 :)

That's good if it works for you but ER4P has one of the most unrealistic bass of of any IEM.  You can sort of "hear" bass tones but there is virtually no impact of any kind.  While I am not a huge fan of SE535 I think it destroys ER4P in this regard.  ER4P also struggles to maintain transients with busy passages of music while the Shure barely breaks a sweat.

Jul 28, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #13 of 42
R-07 from me, I just prefer a dynamic speaker sound over every BA based IEM I have heard so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back