VSonic GR-07 vs Westone UM3x
Jul 30, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #31 of 42

Quote:
Okay, I'll go UM3x for the sake of balance. I've not heard the GR-07 but at least one GR-07 supporter hasn't heard the UM3x ... i.e. both pointless opinions.

When the SM3 first burst onto these forums there was a poll about which was better - the SM3 or the UM3x - and the SM3 comprehensively beat the UM3x by about 93% to 7%. Fast forward a few months and suddenly I was reading lots of comments from people who had both and I'd say that the UM3x had the slight upper hand (though it's close).

In other words, when the hype dies down you'll get a true reflection of what people think. Take the current hype about the GR-07 with a pinch of salt. That's not to say it's not a great IEM (and the price point makes it look ilke a MASSIVE bargain) but it has all the markings of a FOTM at this point in time.

Interestingly the people who are saying they prefer the GR-07 are the people who own the GR-07 but not the UM3x. Doesn't that suggest some bias at all?

Anyway, the only person who'll be able to tell you whether the GR-07 or UM3x is better is you. It's always a personal choice and it doesn't matter what someone else tells you.

Actually, over half of those who voted for the SM3 had not heard the UM3X, but the SM3 hype at the time was unstoppable. 

Jul 31, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #32 of 42
Whatever the case, why is hype bad? If there's a psychological component that makes you enjoy your music more, I say so be it. 
I think for every good earphone that comes out there just has to be a couple unsatisfied individuals that have to go against the majority expert reviewers out there. No one said the gr07 was perfect, not even perfect for the price-range. I'm sure that depends on your preference. However, it is a **** **** good iem. And if at first you were disappointed like I was, it's largely due to the fit. That being said, they present music with an openness I haven't seen since customs. So that being said is there hype? Most likely yes. Just like all the sm3s, dba02s, and lcd2s out there. But no matter what there always be people that will continue to love them. And I can certainly see myself in that group.

Aug 2, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #37 of 42
Most BA earphones you need to insert very deep, dynamics not.
So UM3X has much better isolation.

But R-07 has not bad isolation against another dynamic IEMs.

For example Westone = 10/10
Vsonic = 7/10 (it is good)

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #39 of 42
Does it have a "different flavor" than the RE 262?
I wonder if I'll only get better sound quality for Rock and Techno if I spend a lot more than 180 dollars.

Aug 2, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #40 of 42
MikonJuice, R-07 are better on hard rock than Etymotic ER4P, Shure SE535, UE TripleFi10.
I'm loving Sepultura, Slipknot, Korn, Nirvana etc with Vsonic. They are greatest on this music.
Also they are great on another styles.

Aug 3, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #41 of 42

Quote:
MikonJuice, R-07 are better on hard rock than Etymotic ER4P, Shure SE535, UE TripleFi10.
I'm loving Sepultura, Slipknot, Korn, Nirvana etc with Vsonic. They are greatest on this music.
Also they are great on another styles.

Berkovajazz, there's one thing that is keeping me from the GR-07: isolation. Although for the majority of my time I stay in rather low noise places I completely hate any sound in my ears. That said, I must say that, if I thnk Hifiman RE262 is a 8 (probably because I listen to music in a real loud way), is the Gr-07 still 7?
Another one that is really making me think is  the DBA-02.
To summarize:

- Bassheaded: Atrio MG7 (for heavy metal and Techno)
 - Balanced towards warm feeling: RE262 (Vanessa mae, BB King)
 - Detail: GR-07 ( Orchestra, MPB or Brazilian popular music)
 - Analytical: DBA-02

All of them comes with the problem of not having good isolation, right? None of them would do good in the street, for example?
It's pretty much a good list of iem to have, right?(SM3 is my dream to come true... maybe one day...)
Opinions?

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #42 of 42
2 MikonJuice, They are balanced, detailed, analytical with good emotions.
They've got bass similar to armature bass, thin, but fast. Good speed and good quantity. Not so fat and punchy like another good IEMs.
I like such quality, so only not for hip-hop.

Ther are very detailed. Also they've got very big soundstage (like IE8), good free space around instruments, very good separation.

GR-07 are very good IEMs, very!:) 

Armature IEMs you need to insert deep, so you will have better isolation.
R-07 are good on the streets or underground as for dynamics:)

I was using Sony Hybrids with R-07 = 7-8/10.
Sennheiser IE8 + Sony Hybrid = 6-6.9/10
Shure SE215/SE535 + Shure Foam = 11/10:)
Shure SE215/SE535 + Shure Silicon = 10/10
Etymotic + Shure Silicon = 10/10

So now i need advice:
Westone (all models) is the last BA brand which i want to try. I was having all BA earphones which i want. Now i sold everything.
So, should i try it now, or i wouldn't be happy with Westones (2, 3, UM2, UM3x) ?
I need advices only about sound, everything else is ok:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back