VSonic GR-07 vs Westone UM3x
Jul 28, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #16 of 42
Thats OK after the hype dies down I will just continue to enjoy my GR07
wink_face.gif

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #17 of 42
I detect a new flavour of the month. I give it 3 months before the GR07 overhype dies down.

Pretty sure I've owned the GR07 for almost three months now. So adding your additional three months, let's call it the flavour of the semi-year!

There is indeed a lot of hype, but I'm not convinced it isn't justified regardless.

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #18 of 42
More + for R-07 against UM3x for now.

Spyro, i can't agree with you.
I'm using Shure Olives and i'm quite happy with bass quality and quantity. They are natural and punchy. While SE535 has only low and mid dry unnatural big punch. I was spending a lot of time in studios and on concerts, so drums are more lively with Etymotic.
I can also listen hip-hop with them and i'm feeling more happy with them against SE535. Very deep and good quality beats. Not so punchy like it should be, but very interesting with Ety style. I'm loving more hard rock and hard electronic music, so hip-hop is not my main music. After couple of days i've found ER4P very musical. Mids are more clear and little more detailed than Shure has. Treble is greatest. Vocals are really beautiful with Ety, not with Shure.
SE535 warm and coloured, i don't find them really natural.
ER4P are better for me in every aspect than SE535. IMO.
lot of people lot of opinions. I said what i hear.
Peace!
beerchug.gif

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #19 of 42
+2... the GR07 has been "FOTM" for quite a while now... the momentum didn't seem to pick up until after I bought mine in May, and suddenly everyone started raving about it. The hype is largely justified, though, IMO --- I can't say it's the best dynamic universal I've ever heard (that honor goes to the EX1000 -- knock on wood), but it's undoubtedly up there; maybe the price hike will begin to deter people, but it really is an impressive little guy considering its lack of major flaws.

Quote:
Pretty sure I've owned the GR07 for almost three months now. So adding your additional three months, let's call it the flavour of the semi-year!

There is indeed a lot of hype, but I'm not convinced it isn't justified regardless.

Jul 28, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #20 of 42
Jul 29, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #24 of 42
Okay, I'll go UM3x for the sake of balance. I've not heard the GR-07 but at least one GR-07 supporter hasn't heard the UM3x ... i.e. both pointless opinions.

When the SM3 first burst onto these forums there was a poll about which was better - the SM3 or the UM3x - and the SM3 comprehensively beat the UM3x by about 93% to 7%. Fast forward a few months and suddenly I was reading lots of comments from people who had both and I'd say that the UM3x had the slight upper hand (though it's close).

In other words, when the hype dies down you'll get a true reflection of what people think. Take the current hype about the GR-07 with a pinch of salt. That's not to say it's not a great IEM (and the price point makes it look ilke a MASSIVE bargain) but it has all the markings of a FOTM at this point in time.

Interestingly the people who are saying they prefer the GR-07 are the people who own the GR-07 but not the UM3x. Doesn't that suggest some bias at all?

Anyway, the only person who'll be able to tell you whether the GR-07 or UM3x is better is you. It's always a personal choice and it doesn't matter what someone else tells you.

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #26 of 42
Completely Agree. That's the main point.

The two are similar enough that they can provide the same type of musical enjoyment for a multitude of people, but at the same time different enough that it's difficult (if not downright impossible) to name a head-to-head winner. In the end, what you prefer is your preference. It need not be swayed by the opinions of others, GR07 fanboys or the UM3x old guard. Both camps have their valid points, as well as their personal biases.

I've mentioned that since I own the GR07, I no longer have a burning desire to buy the UM3x. However, that doesn't mean that one is better than the other. It merely means that, to me, the two occupy a very similar sonic role in my listening experience. I'm completely convinced that you can't go wrong with either choice. In the world of high-end IEMs, there is never a consensus opinion on the superiority of one over another.

Quote:
Anyway, the only person who'll be able to tell you whether the GR-07 or UM3x is better is you. It's always a personal choice and it doesn't matter what someone else tells you.

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #27 of 42
So TCD1975 which part of my stating I prefer dynamic based IEM's over BA based IEM's equates GR07 hype?

I do agree in the end it will be up to the OP what he prefers though.

BTW my string of IEM purchases and sales does make it hard to know whether I am truly satisfied or not. All I can say is that the only other headphone I have owned that I felt as good about as the GR07 is my D7000 and I still own them almost a year later which is a record for me. After I got them I just didn't want to buy another high end headphone even after hearing many higher priced "better" models at local head-fi meets. But the proof will be in the pudding as they say :). So if after 3 months I have moved on you have my full permission to say "I told you so!" :xf_eek:

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #28 of 42
Interesting this debate between the GR07 and the UM3X since I've read that the W4 is like an improvement of the UM3X and I just received my W4 today. On the W4's appreciation thread I just wrote that the Westone 4 reminds me a lot of the GR07 (because I heard the GR07 first is why I wrote it that way), which I think is a very high compliment to the Vsonic. I'm not saying at all that the GR07 is technically superior (overall) than the W4, but both signatures remind of each other. I still like, however, the way the drums are presented in the GR07 more than I do in the W4. Both are great IEMs to have IMO.

Quote:
Completely Agree. That's the main point.

The two are similar enough that they can provide the same type of musical enjoyment for a multitude of people, but at the same time different enough that it's difficult (if not downright impossible) to name a head-to-head winner. In the end, what you prefer is your preference. It need not be swayed by the opinions of others, GR07 fanboys or the UM3x old guard. Both camps have their valid points, as well as their personal biases.

I've mentioned that since I own the GR07, I no longer have a burning desire to buy the UM3x. However, that doesn't mean that one is better than the other. It merely means that, to me, the two occupy a very similar sonic role in my listening experience. I'm completely convinced that you can't go wrong with either choice. In the world of high-end IEMs, there is never a consensus opinion on the superiority of one over another.

Jul 30, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #29 of 42
My wallet hates this thread...

But because the Gr07 is also about HALF the price of the UM3x..  I guess its hard to compare objectively...  because people tend to feel a slight affinity for something they feel they really hit a sweetspot for their money's worth.

Jul 30, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #30 of 42
Absolutely, if most people who have heard both on are on the fence about which one is better and then there are even those that feel that the w4's are not that much better and the gr07 does some things better you should then start looking at reasons other than sq to make a purchase. Price is always a huge concern and for the money, comfort and build quality it is my opinion that the r07's cannot be beat for the price. The R07's may be the current hype however that just shows you that there are alot of people who are impressed with them for one or more reasons. If not there certainly wouldn't be much buzz around them. Take it for whatever it is worth since I have never heard the um3's and I too am also biased since I prefer the sound of dynamic drivers over ba.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back