VOTE: Headphones or earphones?
May 16, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #17 of 44
Thanks for your inputs, I further clarify my requirements: source: definitely portable player. I mostly listen to online radio shows, podcasts and such, I don't want to mess with CDs, and I just think the best source nowadays is a portable player with actual capacity. Though, capacity doesn't have to be exactly huge, to listen to some actual downloaded podcasts, you see. I also like the the freedom to move around in my house with my rig on.

As the source should be an earphone or a headphone... Hung0702, the Yuin PK3 recommended by you is the only type which is not going to work, because this type simply cannot stay in my ears. So it can be a pair of in-ear phones or headphones. Of headphones, I don't know it's open or closed, which sounds better.

Which one it should be then? What is interesting that you said that for the same price a headphone produces better sound than earphones. So let's make three comparisons, either winner can be an in-ear phone or a headphone: best sound under $50, under $100 and under $500?

I like pure and natural sound with no distortion.

With all this clarification for my requirements, I think it is quite fair to compare these two -even if you may call these- different kinds of animals.

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #21 of 44
For straight-up musical enjoyment, open headphones at home or in an otherwise secluded spot. But there are plenty of times when that's not practical. Walking to class, on a bus ride, others sleeping in the room... That's where IEM's come in.

Jun 25, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #22 of 44
Sorry guys, you're all wrong!

IEMs usually slide in easily but if you pull 'em out too fast the negative pressure hurts the eardrums. Also pulling on the cords is extremely uncomfortable. For the right sound you have to fiddle around and search the perfect fit just to pull 'em out if somebody wants to talk to you - just to start all over again afterwards.
If you want to put them aside you have to be very carefully as not to knot together the cordles.
Headphones are visible for everyone, but with hidden IEMs you might come off as arrogant or inobservent to people calling your name. Also it's a threat when walking down the street and bicycles/cars think you'll hear them coming - with headphones they know you don't!

My ear canals sweat also more from IEMs than my ears sweat from black headphones in daylight.

IEMs are just very inconvinient in every way possible to me. Good if you actually use them as in ear monitors but they fail as portable earphones.

Jun 25, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #24 of 44
Quote:
How can anyone be wrong when all this comes down to is personal choice or preference?

Quote:
Sorry guys, you're all wrong!
wink_face.gif

Fixed. Happy now?

Jun 25, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #25 of 44

Quote:

Does anyone else believe this?
Quote:
IEM's excel in portability, stealth and price.  At any quality.

What IEM is that?

Jun 25, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #26 of 44
Jun 25, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #28 of 44

Quote:
Also it's a threat when walking down the street and bicycles/cars think you'll hear them coming

Stay on the sidewalk.
wink_face.gif

IEMs for public imo, mostly because they're more easily stored away when not in use, and wearing big cans looks silly. At home I use a pair of Sony MDR-NC80s that I found. Left a note but nobody claimed them. I have no idea if they're considered good or not, but they seem pretty nice to me.

Jun 25, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #29 of 44
For me - headphones. To this time, I don´t fall in love with in-ear-things 
gs1000.gif

Explanation why: I really don´t care what people think about my HUGE cans, if I love how they sounds. Howgh

Jun 25, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #30 of 44
I do agree that to get the same quality from an earphone as you would a headphone, you tend to pay a bit more. And as for headphones being ugly in public, its not necessarily the case. OK, a pair of massive sennheisers WILL get you some funny looks, but smaller headphones aren't so bad. And I've never been as comfortable shoving things in my ears so i stay away from earphones if can

Users who are viewing this thread

Back