Vorzüge VorzAMP PURE II - review and impressions
Feb 10, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #61 of 873
Thank you but my experience is far from vast...I am just an amateur who wastes too much time and money on headfi....trust me
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, you have either owned or heard the iems that I plan to get in the future...so Im usually looking out for you 

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #64 of 873
I don't know what more I can say about the Pure II. Any more would just be redundant & make me come across as a fanboy. There isn't anything sonically I find lacking here. It does dynamics really well, no constriction of sound stage, extension on both ends, etc. if I were to nitpick I'd say battery life isn't exactly stellar (I get ~9 hours typically but that's fine as it seems to match what I get out of my RWAK100-S)

It's just a great portable amp amongst a sea of such devices

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #67 of 873
Very interested on these amps...have UM Mentor and Geek Out coming...

popcorn.gif

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #68 of 873

I've had this on my desk and plugged somewhat indirectly into my ears since November. I took my precious time to finish reviewing it. Now I'm done. I put up a review at headfi, too, but because we don't have a place for PURE II yet, it is up under PURE I reviews. Oh well. I think reviews should pour in soon enough. My comparatively short one will have to suffice for now. 

ohmage: sound

This thing is the best portable headphone amp I've heard to date. It does nothing wrong, nothing. Industry-leading noise floor. Industry-leading stereo image. Industry-leading drive-to-low-impedance resolution and fidelity. There are no earphones/portable headphones that stymie this amp. Its lowest levels of performance (when under intense load) equal or better many amps' best performance when driving no load. Yesterday's PURE and DUO were chained to gain stages that buggered sensitive-eared listeners. Pair a W4 or worse, a Shure SE500 or Sleek Audio CT7 with the old PURE or DUO and at lowest L/R balance volume settings, sensitive-eared people had to listen to their music at 5-8dB above their comfort levels. I am one of those. PURE II does away with that. The new gain stage not only fractionates the PURE II's output into low, medium, and high gain settings, control over each setting is better spread over the course of the volume-pot's throw. Today's PURE II has the best spread of gain I've seen yet in a portable amp. Because noise floor is so low, the noise of your source can be almost completely eliminated. 

And this badboy's output is easily able to keep up with the likes of the best portable sources out there. It will never be the bottleneck in your system that other, lesser, amps can become. 

If you want me to effuse, I'll do it in the responses to this thread. This thing is amazing. I loved the old VorzAMPs. I am addicted to the new PURE II. 

ohmage: polish

For the most part, PURE II is built as well as its forebears. Countersunk everything, single-bolt sizes, nice paint job and great box. Accessories are clever and Vorzüge are keen on environmental standards. Bettering the PURE II will be hard or impossible for most companies out there.

porridge: polish

The gotcha to all of this is that there has been a bit of cost cutting. The old channel-marked volume pot is replaced by a thin, easily-rubbed-out line of paint. The insides still jiggle a bit. The lamp is much too bright. All of these are easy to address. I'm very surprised that that person lamp is still so blinding, even in daylight settings. This amp is not friendly for nightstand use unless you gaffer tape over the lamp. After that, battery life has dropped to plus 25 hours to less than 12. For a portable amp, that is a stark and divisive mark. For the performance and sound you get from this badboy, however, I think it is a fair trade off. The size of this amp precludes a large-capacity battery. Oh well. I'm down with the current form factor and 9-11 hours is more than enough for a day of listening. 

conclusion

This isn't merely the best VorzAMP yet, it is the best single-ended portable amp I've ever tested or happened upon in headfi/headphone show meets. Tradeoffs are minimal. What rocks about it really really rocks. I think that will become hot knowledge once this thing gets off of its backorder status. 

Just wanna ask, how does the pure II compare to the portatube+? Ive read ure GVP+ review and it seems they are the bees knees.. Owh and can the GVP be stacked? I would imagine it will be warm

Feb 19, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #69 of 873
Should receive this amp on Friday.  Really quick and curtious service from Vorzamp.  I had to choose between this and the Pico Power but already have the Slim so this was the logical choice for me.  Looking forward to this amp.

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #70 of 873
Me too

I'm really curious how Vorzüge Pure II sounds compared to Pico Power, anyone heard both amps and wants to share some words? Thanks

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #72 of 873
Ordered mine direct from Vorzuge last night, they shipped from Singapore this morning with tracking number!  No back order issues. So far, so good.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #74 of 873
  Thanks for the update. I hope your charging problems get fixed. I love this amp, too.

Does this not come with a wall charger?  I think both my laptops have regular USB connections, not mcro USB, unless the micro is on the unit itself.  What will I need to charge this?  Mine is in transit, so I thought I better double check the charging situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back