Vmoda M80 vs Beats Solo HD
Aug 16, 2012 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

amipat01

New Head-Fier
Please don't hate on me until you read! I currently own a pair of ATH-M50 that I have recently purchased. The sound is great and all but they are just too heavy and I find them a bit uncomfortable. I also now realize I want portability. I am considering the Vmoda M80 but people have been saying they're bass light. In fact I found the ATH-M50 lacking the bass I was seeking for, and m80 seems to have less bass than that. Don't shoot me for saying this but I'm considering the beats solo hd for the combination of bass and portability I'm looking for. Or will the m80 have good bass? I'm a big listener of EDM music which is why I need that bass to make my songs come alive.  What do you think?

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion but I'm willing to spend more for better quality! my price range is 120-230.

Doesnt really matter. Its the best you can get for your budget. The Vmoda's are bass light and the Solo HD's are absouletly horrid. 

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #6 of 17
I always thought the M50's were pretty portable. But whatever.

In my experience, the M80's didn't have much of a difference in terms of the quantity of bass to the M50's. I only used them for 20 minutes, so I could be wrong.

The K181DJ's are more bassheadish, as are the HFI-580's. I can't really say how portable they are, since I already thought the M50's were portable. 

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #7 of 17
Err...K81's are definitely not the best in his budget. He can get the overlooked K181DJ for example. Then there's the Phiaton MS400. The rest I can't really speak for, but look through Joker's review thread for more ideas. There should be a link in the blue box in the subforum page.

Are the M80's actually bass light? I haven't heard them, shockingly, but that seems to go against everything V-Moda stands for. The Crossfades were obnoxiously bassy.

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #8 of 17
I always thought the M50's were pretty portable. But whatever.

In my experience, the M80's didn't have much of a difference in terms of the quantity of bass to the M50's. I only used them for 20 minutes, so I could be wrong.

The K181DJ's are more bassheadish, as are the HFI-580's. I can't really say how portable they are, since I already thought the M50's were portable. 

Aha! Two for the K181! The folding system is brilliant for stuffing in bags. Haven't broken them yet, somehow.

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:
Are the M80's actually bass light? I haven't heard them, shockingly, but that seems to go against everything V-Moda stands for. The Crossfades were obnoxiously bassy.

They opened a brand new box for me to try. I was expecting a lot of bass, but it didn't seem to live up to my expectations at all. I'm supposing being fresh-out-of-the-box might be something to do with it, I don't know.

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #10 of 17
I don't really have any headphones to recommend, but have you thought about going for In-Ear Buds/Canal Buds? I use a pair of SkullCandy Titans when I'm out, no I don't recommend those, but just the general design pluses of canal buds allow for great isolation, easy to drive from portable players, and they can deliver HUGE amounts of bass without being too fatiguing on the ears.

For instance my Titans drown out probably 90% of the background noises from just wearing them... and they also deliver more bass then the Q40s I had before but they didn't destroy my ears like the Q40s did lol.  I guess most of that bass comes from the buds creating a seal in your ear canal which is also responsible for they're great isolation.

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #11 of 17
Klipsch Image ONE fits the bill, lots of extra punch semi one noted bass, also the DT-770 pro 80 but there kinda big but light.

Solo's are awful, Mixrs are a little better...

If you like the M80's you could try the Crossfade LP's? but there big and heavy.

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #12 of 17
You have to ask yourself, is it bass if you can't tell what note is being played?  There's a lot of 'phones out there where that's true, and that was my impression of the Beats Solo HD. 

I recently decided to treat myself to a nicer set of travel headphones (I use custom in-ears most of the time, but sometimes prefer the on ear or over the ears for a break.)  I'd been using a set of AKG Quincy Jones 460 for travel, and while they were nice, clear, and balanced, I was in the mood for something new, and thought maybe something better around the same price range.  Also wanted something for more rock, electronic, and "big" music - a bit of bass boost, for contrast with my other headphones, all of which tend towards balanced.

I tried a couple of the different Beats and Monster 'phones, and my impression of them, as a group (maybe that's unfair because there were differences within the brands... but there was also a pretty common character) is that they all boosted bass in a way that made it un-musical.  Not bass, but blat, so that the difference between a bass player's lowest register and a bass drum were indistinguishable. Some also boosted treble in a way that made my teeth get on edge.  That's how I find the radios in rental cars, mostly, so I reckon there's a taste for that in some people, for some music types. But on several different tracks with male vocals, it sounded like they were singing far, far away compared to the rest of the music.  So, if you're listening only to electronica, they're probably OK.  But even hip hop (the Roots, for example) the voice was recessed.

I also tried Sol Republic Tracks HD.  They were better - still bass boosted, and a bit flabby, but you could at least detect pitch.  You might like them - they're very light and comfortable.  Still, mid-range seems pushed away, with treble also boosted but not as much as the bass was.

I ended up with a set of V-Moda LP2. I listed to the LP2 and the M80, and found them to be very much similar in sound signature. I got the LP2 because they were a bit cheaper on special, and for my use, the better sound isolation is nice.  Bass is boosted, but still musical, mid-range is much more evenly matched with bass, and the high range is nicely balanced - not edgy or shriek-y.  For electronica, alternative, even for a lot of jazz, a nice sound.  Bombastic classical, lovely; string quartets, not so much so.  Remind me some of my Ultrasone 780, but with more bass and a slightly smaller sound stage.

The V-moda M80 were pretty light, seem to be crazy sturdy, and got me the different sound I was looking for.  On LCD Soundsystem, on Flying Lotus, killer.

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
You have to ask yourself, is it bass if you can't tell what note is being played?  There's a lot of 'phones out there where that's true, and that was my impression of the Beats Solo HD. 

I recently decided to treat myself to a nicer set of travel headphones (I use custom in-ears most of the time, but sometimes prefer the on ear or over the ears for a break.)  I'd been using a set of AKG Quincy Jones 460 for travel, and while they were nice, clear, and balanced, I was in the mood for something new, and thought maybe something better around the same price range.  Also wanted something for more rock, electronic, and "big" music - a bit of bass boost, for contrast with my other headphones, all of which tend towards balanced.

I tried a couple of the different Beats and Monster 'phones, and my impression of them, as a group (maybe that's unfair because there were differences within the brands... but there was also a pretty common character) is that they all boosted bass in a way that made it un-musical.  Not bass, but blat, so that the difference between a bass player's lowest register and a bass drum were indistinguishable. Some also boosted treble in a way that made my teeth get on edge.  That's how I find the radios in rental cars, mostly, so I reckon there's a taste for that in some people, for some music types. But on several different tracks with male vocals, it sounded like they were singing far, far away compared to the rest of the music.  So, if you're listening only to electronica, they're probably OK.  But even hip hop (the Roots, for example) the voice was recessed.

I also tried Sol Republic Tracks HD.  They were better - still bass boosted, and a bit flabby, but you could at least detect pitch.  You might like them - they're very light and comfortable.  Still, mid-range seems pushed away, with treble also boosted but not as much as the bass was.

I ended up with a set of V-Moda LP2. I listed to the LP2 and the M80, and found them to be very much similar in sound signature. I got the LP2 because they were a bit cheaper on special, and for my use, the better sound isolation is nice.  Bass is boosted, but still musical, mid-range is much more evenly matched with bass, and the high range is nicely balanced - not edgy or shriek-y.  For electronica, alternative, even for a lot of jazz, a nice sound.  Bombastic classical, lovely; string quartets, not so much so.  Remind me some of my Ultrasone 780, but with more bass and a slightly smaller sound stage.

The V-moda M80 were pretty light, seem to be crazy sturdy, and got me the different sound I was looking for.  On LCD Soundsystem, on Flying Lotus, killer.

Thanks for your great response, and the others too. I guess I'll cross the beats solo hd out. I'll be going to college soon in a year, and the beats will prob make me feel childish too. I honestly did eeny meeny miny mo to decide between the athm50 and the crossfade lp2, which I hear definitely has more bass than the athm50. I didn't think the athm50 were portable because i found them huge on my small 7 1/8 head, plus the coiled cable is pretty heavy and bulky in my pocket. I know that the crossfade lp2 comes with a 3 ish feet cable. But for the headphones itself, how big is it compared the athm50? How much lighter? 

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:
Thanks for your great response, and the others too. I guess I'll cross the beats solo hd out. I'll be going to college soon in a year, and the beats will prob make me feel childish too. I honestly did eeny meeny miny mo to decide between the athm50 and the crossfade lp2, which I hear definitely has more bass than the athm50. I didn't think the athm50 were portable because i found them huge on my small 7 1/8 head, plus the coiled cable is pretty heavy and bulky in my pocket. I know that the crossfade lp2 comes with a 3 ish feet cable. But for the headphones itself, how big is it compared the athm50? How much lighter? 

Yeah the beats Pro's aren't that bad but the Solos are awful. You could also look at the B&W P5's but I liked the Image ONE's better and there half the price.

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:
Quote:

Aha! Two for the K181! The folding system is brilliant for stuffing in bags. Haven't broken them yet, somehow.

Another vote for the K181DJ, though you may have to stretch them a bit and wear them for a while to get rid of any discomfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back