Vmoda Crossfade LP, Why all the bad reviews?
Jun 7, 2012 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 181

c0reyl

New Head-Fier
Something everyone should note before using these is that A: they require a very long burn in time using agressive full range music, and they really need a good headphone amp and FLAC files to really sound good.

Took those pics

People say too bassy. People say that the highs are resessed, and not detailed at all..they say it's muddy and sloppy, and has worse quality than the beats... This is all true until the burn in is complete, and then it becomes a lot better, until it has a headphone amp, then it becomes nothing short of amazing for the $130 I paid two years ago.

I probably have over 600 hours of burn in time so far, using dubstep connected to a random ipod playlist blasting while I wasn't using them. at one point, the ipod was blasting music into these cans for over a month straight, non stop. While that seems harsh to do, keep in mind that these headphones were designed for a headphone amp and this is nothing for them, also, I would change valume from 50-75 and full at different burn in sessions.

Then, when I moved, I lost my headphones for a few months, ended up just using my Sennheiser CX-6 (my Etymotic ERi 6 replacement because they broke), which always had better fidelity than my Crossfade LP, and I admit I only bought them for electronic music and home theater movie purposes for the bass.

I then found them in a box, and was delighted to brush the dust off of them and see the Kevlar cord still intact, but this time, I connected them to the headphone amp in my usb mic instead of just some crappy line out. I was absolutely amazed at what I was hearing out of these headphones. while the Yeti mic doesn't have the best headphone amp ever, it does push over 120db @ 1khz, with about 0.009% THD (Total Harmonic Distortion), and has 15Hz-22Khz response, and 130mW rms output. pumped up all the way, they are louder than laptop speakers, 20% in windows is FAR TOO LOUD and any louder will damage your ears for sure.

but, I was hearing things, that I shouldnt have been hearing in these cans that have the most terrible reviews Iv'e ever seen, even my friend told me they really sucked after connecting them to his computer crappy sound card. I was hearing things like they sound in a studio (I've interned at Cue Studio where I used to live near DC, and know what a studio sounds like). I Was hearing detailed things that I could not usually hear out of such a cheap set of headphones, and have only heard from actual expensive speakers. They became more detailed than my M-audio BX5a studio monitors hooked up to my friend's $1,000+ musical fidelity CD player using the headphone amp and FLAC files. Call me dumb, but the fact I was hearing things like the pluck of the pick on every guitar string, and the[size=small] [/size]inconsistencies of the drumsticks hitting the symbols and snares was making me think that either I have a brain tumor, or these headphones are much better than people think, and possibly just need a really long burn in time, and a decent headphone amp to drive them. Dubstep FLAC files are really creeping my out now, because it no longer sounds like dubstep, as much as real midi synth sounds like I'm in the recording studio, and the instruments no longer sound like electronic music, sometimes they sound like real instruments, but I never bothered with dubstep FLAC until I actually noticed how good these sound now.

So yeah, either I'm dumb, or I don't know what good speakers sound like? I guess Iv'e never heard my home audio setup of my Auzentech X-Fi Home Theater HD analogue surround sound to M-Audio Kevlar 5" Bi amplified 70w class AB, 1" silk dome studio monitors with a Velodyne ULD 18 (which is the PRIME DRIVER of it's model btw), 400 watt 18" class B servo amplified sub that pushes 104db @ 20Hz with 0.5% THD, and is flat down to 14Hz...or that I haven't heard high end systems from companies like Focal, JM Lab, ATC, Gallo, Mcintosh, Quad, Theil, Celestian, Velodyne, Marrantz, and others..

My studio monitors might be garbage for you guys... but I can at least say Iv'e heard high end systems. The only audiophile headphones I've heard so far are the Sennheiser CX6 and Etymotic ER6, because I don't count the garbage BOSE quiet comfort 3 I had, or the garbage Dr Dre $300 "swagphones" but these as of now blow every set of headphones Iv'e heard so far out of the water, including my old Etymotic ERi6.

The point is... I might agree with some of the bad reviews for these headphones..if I hadn't experienced them the way I did. You guys just gonna troll me like no other, or believe some truth to it, and possibly try burning them in way harder like I did? 

One thing I will say is while some people say the highs are recessed and others say bright, I say they sound more like the silk domes on my monitors but just a tad softer, but EVERYTHING is there, and detailed. they are not bassy at all on my headphone amp, but all the bass is there, and if I EQ them for bass and pump it up, one time, I went half deaf for an entire day. My headphone amp has no EQ the way I listen to it. people need to stop listening to garbage DSP and DAC's driving these headphones before they say how bad they are, and give them time to burn in..an Iphone is NOT a good sound source.

I predict epic amounts of flaming incoming. lol.

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 181
I own these. I run them of my Fiio E6 with a line out to a ipod touch. Had em about 5 months, maybe 100 hours of burn in total. They are nice for the $100 I paid, though the midrange is too recessed and lacks some detail. Great for pop, rap and basic electronic. Not for me though.

Jun 7, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 181
Quote:
Their good for electronic/rap/hip-hop. But they're pretty awful for rock.

see  that's the thing, they WERE bad for rock and classical and had bad instrumental seperation until I dusted them out of a box with 600 hours+ of burn in time and now they are no longer bassy, they seem extremely flat now, but they are detailed with a sound stage of being in a big room with really good speakers which are extremely detailed.

My point is that for whatever reason, the sound characteristic of these headphones changed entirely. It's messed up when your friend who has been having $10,000 speakers shoved in his face his entire life says they are by far the best headphones he's ever heard.

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #5 of 181
Okay so using a dedicated headphone amp, Why the hell do I have outstanding instrumental seperation on songs like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqUdI4AIDF0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsYcRSNL8To

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqw2WAcv8Tw

Using FLACs ofcourse..and obviously I'm not even claiming my headphones are even good for a Head-Fi'er..but 

THESE HEADPHONES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE GARBAGE..explain why everyone on head-fi says these headphones are such garbage if they sound as good as they do? Why are they sounding better than sennheiser's on the same headphone amp?

Surely it can't be the 600+ hours of burn in, and over 200 hours of max trebel min bass max volume burn in straight with 140mw of power?

point is, How can I trust a single god damn review, unless am I dumb? Have I NOT HEARD $10,000+ high fidelity speaker systems?? eplain how come using a decent headphone amp without EQ, these headphones are not bassy at ALL, and the treble is just crisp enough to be transparent enough to create an actual soundstage, and **** sounds REAL (possibly because of the 35,000 Hz frequwncy response using 1st, 2nd, and 3rd order harmonics, like a ribbon tweeter?)

After I rebuild this headphone amp, I'm going to ask people with multi thousand dollar speaker systems to try them out with the amp on..I don't understand why everyone on the internet is saying they sound like garbage, unless they are dumb and using an iphone for the DAC/DSP..

Also if you went to the Apple store and said they sucked, then YOU ARE A DUMBASS, because PEOPLE BASH THE HELL OUT OF THINGS ON DISPLAY, YOU ARE USING A GARBAGE DAC, DSP, and AMPLIFICATION FROM A GARBAGE MP3 IPOD...

Here's a few posts I found saying how Horrible these headphones are:

I  think I ruined my ears for the LPs by going with the SR60is for the last month. Didn't last half an hour with the LPs before packing them up to go back.

But they look sweet and the accessories and packaging are first rate. If the M80s keep that up and are a decent companion to the Grados and M50 I already have, just need to wait for payday. 
beyersmile.png

m80 are way better than the lp.

if not, the beats pro aren't as bad as people say, for that price. it isn't a bad deal.

You should get the beats pro since the price is worth it. The crossfades doesn't sound really good anyway.

At that price I'd rather pick Beats Pro, they are better than the V-Moda LP2, don't know about soundstage but LP2 doesn't really have that impressive soundstage, quite average.

I haven't heard the LP2s, but I do have the LPs (well my wife has them now).  The Beats Pro, beats the LP in every way.  I love base/sub bass, which the Beats Pro do very well while still maintaining great separation between the mids and highs, but the LP's bass in my opinion is really muddy and bloated (a little more like the Beats Studio to my ears).  This is only my humble opinion, but you will have to hear them for yourself to see how they sound to your ears.  If you do get the Pros though, make sure they are a legitimate pair, as I'm sure more than half of the ones being sold on ebay are fakes.  I'm pretty sure the fakes are what helps to give the Beats a negative impression also - even to bass heads.

Edit:  My comparison was based primarily listening to hip hop and rap music from an unamped source.

If somebody put a gun to my head and made me choose a pair of beats headphones I would absolutely choose the Pro's (though that is the only way I would buy a pair of beats) . . . I have never heard the Crossfade LP's, but from what I see around these head-fi forums, they aren't good headphones . . . in fact a lot of people go as far as to say that they sound WORSE than beats! 
eek.gif

I just think we overlook the LP because we can look to the m80s and forget all about the Lp.
Honestly, the LP were horrible when I tried them.

I just grabbed the crossfade lp's for $100 which I thought was a good deal. They just arrived today, I'm not satisfied at all with them. They sound DECENT, for $200 IMO they should sound wayy better! Let me mention, I purchased the v-moda vibrato's as well (their IEMs). So of course I went ahead and tried the crossfade's first. The sound is DECENT as I said but not amazing IMO. and the WORST thing about them is they are not sound proof at all!!! They are only a tad bit louder with them on. Another words, anyone around you can hear just about every word to the track your listening to. Pretty sad, very very disappointed. My vibrato's I got from them are 10x better and get louder and way more sound proof and sound better IMO. all I can say is these are going back to v-moda. The only positive thing about these is the packaging which is very nice, the case is awesome, and I love the cords and I love how they are detachable, other then that, these headphones are horrible, very disappointed. 
frown.gif

Maybe I got a defective pair, but while the bass is quite strong, it's very loose and muddy and overpowering.  The mids & highs are very repressed and sound quite muddy, as well.  If what I've heard is what its capable of, then it's way overpriced.  A+ for the aesthetics, though.  But in my opinion, this set of cans is for looking-at, and not listening-to.

So, why are there thousands of posts online saying how terrible they are, when they actually have outstanding detail that is actually better than my studio monitors?

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #6 of 181
You yourself may not have neutral hearing. In fact, a majority of people don't. So what sounds like trash to someone else may be gold to you. Or, your studio monitors might not actually be as good as you think they are.

That Upside Down song you linked has artificial separation in that the instruments are hard-panned to one side. So they sound wide on my $20 KSC75. A real binaural recording will have information from the other side that can make instruments seem as though they're further away than what a simple hard-panning can do.

Either way, congrats on finding your dream headphones.

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #7 of 181
I think the problem often is, there's a general misconception about what bass heavy headphones are really for.  My guess is that people who bash on headphones like this probably haven't ever been in a club that plays real EDM, since that's what they're trying to emulate.

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #8 of 181
Well it also depends on what headphones you got experience with previously, if this is your first somewhat serious headphone then obviously it's gonna sound great to you but if you've tried like 10 other headphones in the same pricerange your opinion will change somewhat.

V-Moda Crossfade LP are typical headphones picked up by people who want to get a little better headphone than Apple ibuds and also want it to look great so I feel there's where the problem lies, I don't reckon seeing people praising these that have great experience with lots of headphones. Then again the original LPs cost like $80 or whatever today which is quite justisfied but they originally were like $199 which was way too much, I also think LP2 costs too much for what they offer as it's not a high enough improvement from LP1. OK well if you value style and durability then why not but if it was only based on sound quality alone (the far most important aspect to me at least which I always prioritize way higher) it'd fare quite bad.

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #9 of 181
Quote:
You yourself may not have neutral hearing. In fact, a majority of people don't. So what sounds like trash to someone else may be gold to you. Or, your studio monitors might not actually be as good as you think they are.

That Upside Down song you linked has artificial separation in that the instruments are hard-panned to one side. So they sound wide on my $20 KSC75. A real binaural recording will have information from the other side that can make instruments seem as though they're further away than what a simple hard-panning can do.

Either way, congrats on finding your dream headphones.

I could pick up the artificial separation but what about the other songs I linked?

obviously my studio monitors aren't the best, they're ****ty M audio BX5a with 5" Kevlar woofers and 1 inch silk dome tweeters 70 watts each bi amplified with 0.5% THD Class AB amplification, and they have about 90DB efficiency with 1w 1m.

I didn't say I have the best headphones ever, I'm implying that these headphones are much better than people give them credit for being. if you judge how good headphones are by going to the Apple store, then you are dumb.

People are claiming that Beats rape these things...BEATS?! are you KIDDING ME? the build quality alone of the beats are garbage plastic, they are rickety, and every time I've tried them on from my friend's, including IN MY HEADPHONE AMP, they sounded pretty bad. barely better than my brother's budget skullcandy's.

By the way, I will admit that the treble is slightly recessed, but the detail is ALL THERE. detail is not comprimised, you just have to actually listen, because it's not in your face doesn't mean it's not there. They are actually more flat sounding to my ears, because the fact that my amp is totally lacking any EQ means that they are actually lacking in bass for my ears, because I'm a bass head. If I EQ the bass up, then crank up the volume, on a bass heavy song, they will start literally movign off my ears from the sound pressure, with 100% CLEAN BASS.

even then though, my Velodyne ULD 18 will RAPE any headphones ever made for bass, 104db @ 20Hz with 0.5% THD using a QUARTER INCH of excursion? I'm pretty sure it's the most musical subwoofer I will ever hear. it's the only really good piece of audio equipment I own, which happens the be the PRIME DRIVER for it's model.

Edit:

I forgot about my Gallo Nucleus center channel speaker, it's an outstanding driver for home theater use for vocals because of how natural it sounds with voices, but it's a $200 3" driver. I plan on getting another one some time and using them for rears in my HT setup placed in the ceiling, which is the best possible place for rears, because speakers at ear level in the rear will cause hearing fatigue due to the fact that our brains don't care about sounds level to us as much as things like a bird chirping above us, heard from ear level, it will mess with our heads.

and, my Auzentech X-Fi Home Theater HD sound card is one of the best possible sound cards for analogue surround sound you can possibly get, which is one of two sound cards ever made with HDMI pass thru capability.

make that only 3 good pieces of audio equipment that I own..

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #10 of 181
Quote:
I could pick up the artificial separation but what about the other songs I linked?

obviously my studio monitors aren't the best, they're ****ty M audio BX5a with 5" Kevlar woofers and 1 inch silk dome tweeters 70 watts each bi amplified with 0.5% THD Class AB amplification, and they have about 90DB efficiency with 1w 1m.

I didn't say I have the best headphones ever, I'm implying that these headphones are much better than people give them credit for being. if you judge how good headphones are by going to the Apple store, then you are dumb.

People are claiming that Beats rape these things...BEATS?! are you KIDDING ME? the build quality alone of the beats are garbage plastic, they are rickety, and every time I've tried them on from my friend's, including IN MY HEADPHONE AMP, they sounded pretty bad. barely better than my brother's budget skullcandy's.

By the way, I will admit that the treble is slightly recessed, but the detail is ALL THERE. detail is not comprimised, you just have to actually listen, because it's not in your face doesn't mean it's not there. They are actually more flat sounding to my ears, because the fact that my amp is totally lacking any EQ means that they are actually lacking in bass for my ears, because I'm a bass head. If I EQ the bass up, then crank up the volume, on a bass heavy song, they will start literally movign off my ears from the sound pressure, with 100% CLEAN BASS.

even then though, my Velodyne ULD 18 will RAPE any headphones ever made for bass, 104db @ 20Hz with 0.5% THD using a QUARTER INCH of excursion? I'm pretty sure it's the most musical subwoofer I will ever hear. it's the only really good piece of audio equipment I own, which happens the be the PRIME DRIVER for it's model.

Edit:

I forgot about my Gallo Nucleus center channel speaker, it's an outstanding driver for home theater use for vocals because of how natural it sounds with voices, but it's a $200 3" driver. I plan on getting another one some time and using them for rears in my HT setup placed in the ceiling, which is the best possible place for rears, because speakers at ear level in the rear will cause hearing fatigue due to the fact that our brains don't care about sounds level to us as much as things like a bird chirping above us, heard from ear level, it will mess with our heads. Also, because it's a full range driver, there absolutely no phase problems from the tweeters at all.

and, my Auzentech X-Fi Home Theater HD sound card is one of the best possible sound cards for analogue surround sound you can possibly get, which is one of two sound cards ever made with HDMI pass thru capability.

make that only 3 good pieces of audio equipment that I own..

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #11 of 181
Oh yeah, I forgot I had this:

This thing is a beast! 80 amp maxifuse to push 25watts RMS per channel in stereo @ 4 ohms.

my Soundstream Class A 10.2, Rubicon Class A amplification.

Oh, did I mention it's stable down to a QUARTER OF AN OHM? it pushes 1000 watts RMS bridged at a quarter ohm with 0.1% THD, oh, and it has about 100 db signal to noise ratio, which is impressive for Class A amplification, and it has other nifty features. I may actually send this thing to a professional to repair it, because this thing is true audiophile quality sound.

I would like to get an LMS ultra 5400 DVC driver, which can take 2000 watts RMS easily, and bridge this thing at a 1 ohm load to have 1000 watts RMS pushing the best 18 inch woofer money can buy :3

8 cu ft box? I'm pretty sure I could get down to 10Hz flat, at probably over 110 db with maybe .7% THD with that woofer, if this damn amp worked :3

Any suggestions for places to have it fixed? :D

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #13 of 181
So say  if i bought these. And burned them in with over say......200 hours to Months of burn in of burn in with 320kps tracks using a sony nwz-A865(no way am i  using flack.i don't use flack due to ,in my opinion,Uselessly taking up my music storage space >.>) how good will these sound?

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #14 of 181
I just picked up the Crossfade LPs and the Klipsch Image X10 I wanted something I could carry around easy for listening while I also wanted something that I can plug into my SSL console in the studio to listen to. So I guess I got both. I wonder which one will I like more tho. I am hearing alot of good stuff about the Klipsch but V-moda.... eeeehhh not so much lol P.s. both are for like 80$ today. 

Nov 27, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #15 of 181
I just bought a pair of lps. I was looking at m80s but decided to wait till m100 had been out for a bit. Then I saw amazon had lps for $75. I know they won't be as good but I'm getting them to see if they are comfortable for gaming. Saves spending nz$400 on m100 to find they are too tight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back