Vista--why I will never get it
Jan 10, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #31 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sound like Vista is really more of an environment made for corporations that have a controlling IT department that can set up accounts in a proper manner.

Vista also hasn't been released to consumers yet. I'd expect most of the literature out there to be targeted to their current customers: IT departments.

Jan 10, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #32 of 85
Quote:

I have been reading about the Vista User Account Manager. I sound like Vista is really more of an environment made for corporations that have a controlling IT department that can set up accounts in a proper manner.

It really does not seem like a user friendly OS from reading that material.

If you are a user, don't read the documentation just click the buttons and it will be user-friendly. If you are a business IT department you expect to have to learn a few things.

Jan 10, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #33 of 85
In the medical field. Computer xray is pretty much now mainstream. Even the hospitals here in Lower Alabama are digital now. There are rules about "diagnostic reading" of xray images (what the radiologist does, generating the report) which do require a certain monitor size, and resolution. The medical image itself is called a DICOMM file, and is lossless, and has various identifying data with it, perhaps even the readin. Across the hospital, in my office and even wireless on a laptop/tablet in range of the WiFi at the hospital, you can view xrays, and various amount of compression may be used. As an orthopedist, I can see a compressed image and tell if the bone is broke or not. Certainly there are some questions I would have to answer at a full imaging station. I (being a techie) do happen to upgrade the image status at most every hospital station I log into. While I can usually get by with some compression of an image, I do prefer to see a clear image.

What I can't change on some of the machines is the actual display resolution, as the generic hospital machines have administrator control that I don't have access to.

I am leaning to a MAC for my next notebook myself. OS X from apple upgrade was like $50? I am seeing $250+ for Vista. And don't get started on yet another upgrade to the Office Bloatware. I switched to OpenOffice this round, and so far like it.

Jan 11, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #34 of 85
Quote:

Remember the Borg you will be assimilated. There is no going around it unless you abandon all of Windows programs.

People have been doing this for years...and Microsoft is only going downhill. Hence the uprise of Apple. Don't you know? Apple is the new PC....all because of the iPod....

But if you want function over form, and sometimes function AND form..people have been doing this for years....it's called Linux.

Jan 11, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #35 of 85
I wouldn't blame Vista, as it is indeed an industry standard and was not developed at all by Microsoft. You can blame Intel, because they came up with the idea and means.
http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20000218S0008

And besides, someone, somewhere, will always crack the DRM, no matter how hard they try to make it "unbreakable". It's difficult to say whether or not to give up on DRM (industry-wise) but to me it's just looking like a waste of time and resources. Funding should be put to better things. Perhaps more incentive for buying things would be better...(better sound quality, yes?).

And what kind of PC gamer buys Apple?
tongue.gif

~Tom

Jan 11, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #36 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The medical image itself is called a DICOMM file, and is lossless, and has various identifying data with it, perhaps even the readin.

Actually, DICOMM isn't entirely lossless. To be utterly lossless, a digital image or 3D model has to be contigous and "artifact" free. And with 3D images, it's really hard to extrapolate tissue densities in internal anatomy. The main inherent problem with medical imaging is resolution.....developers are always trying to make scanners that have more finite resolution. But the problem is that the data is voxel based (voxel being like a pixel, but instead of a square, it's a cube). So in order to get a good resolution image of an entire person's anatomy, it requires massive amounts of hard drive space and memory. I think it would be totally cool if scanners could plot tissue and make a contigous mesh in 3D. Currently, that process is very time consuming with a 3D scanner and totally impossible with a MRI or CT.

My dad's in internal medicine.....he used to run Unix at his office (for the longest time, medical software was only Unix). Now they're Windows based, because most of the neighboring hospitals now use Windows.

Jan 11, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #37 of 85
Heh, medical Unix... Most office systems were sold with UNIX and on an expensive "mini-computer." We are getting a new system this summer. My tightfisted partners finally consented after we had a crash this year, and the spare parts for our existing computer came from .... EBAY. The system is no longer supported, and spare parts were not available from IBM.

New system will be Microsoft Server based etc. Of the 3 hospitals I work at, 1 is Windows via Citrix, the other 2 still run on mainframes, and are substantially behind the curve. (radiology departments excepted, there are not legacy digital imaging.)

Jan 11, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #38 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do know that Apple is just as bad, if not worst with DRM don't you??
tongue.gif
icon10.gif
And if the Mac ever gets Blu Ray or HD DVD, it will also have to have HDCP. DRM is unavoidable....unless you go back to vinyl
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Yeah. But I don't buy music online at all, so I don't give a rip... when anyone starts buggering with plain jane audio CD's then I'll be angry... I haven't been hit by the couple of CD's I own with copy protection so far, they just work for me in my regular CD players. Don't care about playing them in the computer. In the past before The Big Hard Drive Crash That Turned Me Off Playing Music on the Computer, I had no problem ripping protected CDs with EAC. Quote:

Originally Posted by mateo05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have fun being spoon-fed in the Reality Distortion Field
wink.gif

I love it in here. Though I have to say I love the OS, and the higher-end computers, but I don't own or want an iPod. The iPhone, however...

Jan 12, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #39 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sheesh, this gutmann fellow seems to have based the whole article on his own fears and doubts. It's remarkable how people have taken this as the gospel truth. Who is the guy anyway?

HEH- Only one of the better known computer security people in the world. Check his home page. If you can understand it, I'll continue the discussion with you.

Quote:

What makes his own spin on things "fact" ?

Actually much of what he said is not fact. And he says that. If you took the time to read it -and think about it- much of the information from MS is incomplete, vague and often contradictory. He is point out that from what we do know combined with what are REASONABLE assumptions, we have problems Lucy.

Quote:

I don't think it'll create anywhere near the issues he says. Sure it's protected, did anyone expect otherwise? If you're not trying to crack the content yourself I don't see the problem?

If you don't see the problem, I can only -literally- chalk it up to a reading comprehension problem. He just spend 4 pages explaining the problem.

-- If you think this is abstract and improbable, you need to revisit that assumption. I had a 30 minute phone call yesterday with a client who has a BIG problem with Vista. His company has thousands of ships in the field. (well, in the sea) There are thousands of potential "land mines" in Vista that will make it stop working unless it calls home.

So literally he can have a boat out on a 9 month deployment and 1 month into it a critical computer will refuse to work until it gets an internet connection....

I won't bother explain why he's losing sleep over this. It should be self evident.

Jan 12, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #40 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding the essay you post:

Functionality isn't disabled. It is increased. With HDCP support if you have the wrong card you can see HDCP material in low quality, and if you have the right card you can see it in high quality. Without it you can't see anything. In both case there is greater functionality. Useless to some, probably including myself, but useful to others.
Decreased performance similarly, performance is decreased only when you play HDCP protected files. Just as it is decreased when you do anything to any file. It takes computer power to do anything and that is no argument against providing the ability to do anything.

hmmmm So an armed robber doesn't harm you, he helps you. He could kill you but he doesn't. I'm glad you see onerous copy protection is a glass half full.

It's not an issue that it takes SOME recourses. It's a matter of degrees. --- Let's take your argument into another realm. All headphones cost money. But you don't see people arguing people should not make headphones...

OK I have a pair of slightly used KSC-75s that I'll sell you for $500.00

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't care about people using any operating systems they want but I do care about their using bad logic.

ROTFLMAO. Oy, the irony.

Jan 12, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #41 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by blinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can you guys say DX10?

did you see the crysis video?!?! WOW!!!!

it almost makes the 360 and ps3 look like last gen consoles (a bit exaggerated but im excited)

Seriously.

If you're a gamer, you WILL eventually get Vista. Or you're dumb.
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #42 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Some geek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HEH- Only one of the better known computer security people in the world. Check his home page. If you can understand it, I'll continue the discussion with you.

Actually much of what he said is not fact. And he says that. If you took the time to read it -and think about it- much of the information from MS is incomplete, vague and often contradictory. He is point out that from what we do know combined with what are REASONABLE assumptions, we have problems Lucy.

If you don't see the problem, I can only -literally- chalk it up to a reading comprehension problem. He just spend 4 pages explaining the problem.

-- If you think this is abstract and improbable, you need to revisit that assumption. I had a 30 minute phone call yesterday with a client who has a BIG problem with Vista. His company has thousands of ships in the field. (well, in the sea) There are thousands of potential "land mines" in Vista that will make it stop working unless it calls home.

So literally he can have a boat out on a 9 month deployment and 1 month into it a critical computer will refuse to work until it gets an internet connection....

I won't bother explain why he's losing sleep over this. It should be self evident.

Ok. 2 things to note here.

One: Don't be so obnoxious. Your implication that we (I) are too stupid to understand the article is both incorrect and insulting. Just because I wasn't aware of the guy does not mean I cannot comprehend his article.

Two. As you say (and he does to) it's not all based on fact, the information is vague and he (and you) makes a lot of assumptions. Well we all know about assumptions don't we.

oh and your problem about ship's not calling in has NOTHING whatsoever about (allegedly) degraded audio or video. So that's a bit of a moot point isn't it.

That's all.

Jan 12, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #43 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidober /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously.

If you're a gamer, you WILL eventually get Vista. Or you're dumb.
biggrin.gif

Yeah... I'm a gamer and so (when I'm able to upgrade my PC to use the new hardware available) then I will be getting Vista. If it wasn't for gaming I wouldn't touch Windows at all as I actually quite enjoy using Linux (hey.. I'm a geek - what can I say! lol)

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #44 of 85
Quote:

Buy CDs or SACDs, rent DVDs or HD DVDs....they'll all work well in Vista.

WOW. Have you not read the multiple people who purchased HP home theater computers that came with HD DVD movies and the movies that came FROM THE FACTORY did not work?

You statement should read... "they all work well with Vista IF each and every piece of hardware including every graphics adapter and every sound card (or cards in our cases) is approved by Microsoft."

Quote:

"Who ever thought this up, has obviously never worked in a medical center. For one thing, I doubt that Vista can corrupt graphics while playing mp3s"

And you trust a patients lives on the fact you doubt something. Shouldn't you be a bit more concerned than that?

Quote:

Number 3, I hope a professional doctor would be able to determine if a scan is high enough resolution to make diagnoses.

I would hope so too... But I'd prefer the doc just look at the real scan and not one he didn't know was manipulated. You wouldn't?

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #45 of 85
Quote:

Ok. 2 things to note here.

One: Don't be so obnoxious. Your implication that we (I) are too stupid to understand the article is both incorrect and insulting. Just because I wasn't aware of the guy does not mean I cannot comprehend his article.

I suggested you could not understand his home page, not the article. You disparage the guy and called his qualifications into question. I simply point out that he is an expert in the field. IF you can "hang" with him ok. If not...

Quote:

Two. As you say (and he does to) it's not all based on fact, the information is vague and he (and you) makes a lot of assumptions. Well we all know about assumptions don't we.

Yes we do. And you are assuming that this guy is full of bull. Should I believe him -an expert in the field- and his assumptions, or yours?

Quote:

oh and your problem about ship's not calling in has NOTHING whatsoever about (allegedly) degraded audio or video. So that's a bit of a moot point isn't it

Yes and no. The example I gave was about Vista copy protection proper... But that's only a subset of the larger issue. The problem is that the OS is DRMed to death. It is in the DNA so to speak.

For for the sake of this argument, the exact issues this guy raises are ALSO a concern. They also do all sorts of imaging (including of ice flows on their ice breakers, cool stuff) What happens when a deck hand in Singapore buys a DVD and it crashes the imaging station???????

Should the owner of a fleet of a few thousand boats go with your assumption that "it will all be OK" or should he take the warnings of experts seriously?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back