Vista--why I will never get it
Jan 8, 2007 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

Jon L

For him, f/1.2 is a prime number
Disappointing but can't say it surprises me
frown.gif

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...vista_cost.txt

Jan 8, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 85
Wow thats rediculous, a good read however, but i wasnt really feeling Vista anyways.

Jan 8, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #4 of 85
Some people will find HDCP a useful feature. Other people will find other aspects useful. If you don't use a particular feature just ignore it. Most people will find it worth the cost to get vista but each to his own.

Regarding the essay you post:

Functionality isn't disabled. It is increased. With HDCP support if you have the wrong card you can see HDCP material in low quality, and if you have the right card you can see it in high quality. Without it you can't see anything. In both case there is greater functionality. Useless to some, probably including myself, but useful to others.
Decreased performance similarly, performance is decreased only when you play HDCP protected files. Just as it is decreased when you do anything to any file. It takes computer power to do anything and that is no argument against providing the ability to do anything.

It may be (or may not depending on the effects on demand and competition) that you will have to pay a very little more for graphics cards or monitors but if that is the case it will be so regardless of the operating system you use.

I don't care about people using any operating systems they want but I do care about their using bad logic.

Jan 8, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 85
I won't buy vista to begin with and if I ever need it I will just get a really big hard drive and dual boot with XP.

Jan 8, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #8 of 85
With my new Dell I was able to get the redemption coupon for a free upgrade to Vista. I have already exercised the coupon to get it. It should be here sometime in Feb. I probably will get around to install it until sometime in 2008 when it becomes stable and the audio is proven not to interfere with my system.

Remember the Borg you will be assimilated. There is no going around it unless you abandon all of Windows programs.

Jan 8, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #9 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really. And if they did, the difference here, is that everything in that article is true.

humm....no, this article is definitely out in left field! I know it's rediculous, because they use the same statements as some of the other Vista articles that have been circulating around here. From now on, if I see this paragraph in one of these nay sayer articles, I'm just not going to read it at all!! DRM is already here people.....get over it. Buy CDs or SACDs, rent DVDs or HD DVDs....they'll all work well in Vista.

Quote:

Beyond the obvious playback-quality implications of deliberately degraded
output, this measure can have serious repercussions in applications where
high-quality reproduction of content is vital. For example the field of
medical imaging either bans outright or strongly frowns on any form of lossy
compression because artefacts introduced by the compression process can cause mis-diagnoses and in extreme cases even become life-threatening. Consider a medical IT worker who's using a medical imaging PC while listening to audio/video played back by the computer. This scenario is already very
common, the CDROM drives installed in workplace PCs inevitably spend most of their working lives playing music or MP3 CDs to drown out workplace noise.

Who ever thought this up, has obviously never worked in a medical center. For one thing, I doubt that Vista can corrupt graphics while playing mp3s (you can be sure that the professional graphics field would be sueing them if that was the case). Number 2, medical exam rooms are too busy for lab techs to be listening to mp3s on terminals. Number 3, I hope a professional doctor would be able to determine if a scan is high enough resolution to make a diagnoses.

Jan 8, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #10 of 85
I might get Vista .. but not until I've got a much more powerful PC. And then I'll probably dual boot it with Linux as Windows is only really useful for games (IMO)

But I can still check out what Vista can do as my folks have an upgrade for it with their latest laptop and they'll be getting it.

Jan 8, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #11 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some people will find HDCP a useful feature. Other people will find other aspects useful. If you don't use a particular feature just ignore it. Most people will find it worth the cost to get vista but each to his own.

AFAIK, HDCP only comes into play if you want to get a computer that has a Blu Ray or HD DVD drive. Sony and Toshiba wanted to make sure that these new formats would not be easy to copy on a PC. So they came up with HDMI, that has HDCP incorperated in it. I believe the new videocards need a HDCP interface....so that the monitor is getting a hardware overlay of the HD DVD content. And it means that there's no software decoder for HD DVD or Blu Ray.

Jan 8, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #12 of 85
sheesh, this gutmann fellow seems to have based the whole article on his own fears and doubts. It's remarkable how people have taken this as the gospel truth. Who is the guy anyway? What makes his own spin on things "fact" ? I don't think it'll create anywhere near the issues he says. Sure it's protected, did anyone expect otherwise? If you're not trying to crack the content yourself I don't see the problem?

Jan 8, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #13 of 85
The other thing is ... they are putting all this hardware into place in an attempt to stop piracy and the like.

Has anything like this ever happened in the past and worked? I reckon that other people will find a way around this... I mean consoles were setup so that they couldn't be copied - so the hackers etc came up with a mod chip that meant they play copied games and cracked the games so that they could be copied.

I can't see anything truly working for long in this fight against the people who are determined to copy things. No matter how many people you have working on this copy protection schemes there are many many more people working to break them.

Jan 8, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #14 of 85
What one has to realize, also is that protected content does not have to be purchased. Hence, no diminished quality. I know that none of my music has that license crap on it because I refuse to have music that is not truly mine.

Stick it to the man, as it were...lol.

Jan 9, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #15 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarathustra19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What one has to realize, also is that protected content does not have to be purchased. Hence, no diminished quality. I know that none of my music has that license crap on it because I refuse to have music that is not truly mine.

Stick it to the man, as it were...lol.

Guess you won't buy a single high-def movie then...

I don't like this trend at all, though. As always, it's the honest people who will have to go through additional trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back