Vista--why I will never get it
Jan 9, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #16 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess you won't buy a single high-def movie then...

I don't like this trend at all, though. As always, it's the honest people who will have to go through additional trouble.

What's so hard about hi-def movies?? Just buy or rent a Blu Ray or HD DVD and stick it into your player or drive. Hit play. Is that hard?
blink.gif
The only difference now is that you won't be able to rip a HD DVD to your computer. Big deal, since I don't do that much DVD ripping.

Jan 9, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #17 of 85
I said this in the other 'omg vista sucks!' thread too but here it is again. Microsoft didn't invent DRM, all they are doing is to give people means to use the new high quality medias. I'm definitely looking forward moving beyond DVD's limits, of course world would be a better place without DRM but it really isn't Microsofts decision. They can only either support DRM or leave users without the option of taking everything out of their systems.

Jan 9, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #18 of 85
can you guys say DX10?

did you see the crysis video?!?! WOW!!!!

it almost makes the 360 and ps3 look like last gen consoles (a bit exaggerated but im excited)

Jan 9, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #20 of 85
I didn't read the entire article but I know this is regarding HDCP and them spying on you, cracking down on illegal movies and what not. This is unavoidable, it's not just in the software but in all the latest hardware too. HDCP was introduced by Intel, and guess what, it's built in to their latest CPU's from Pentium D onwards, that includes the Core DUO's.

Jan 9, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #21 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by feckn_eejit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vista--why I will never get it:
blue-apple-logo.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist...

You do know that Apple is just as bad, if not worst with DRM don't you??
tongue.gif
icon10.gif
And if the Mac ever gets Blu Ray or HD DVD, it will also have to have HDCP. DRM is unavoidable....unless you go back to vinyl
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #22 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't read the entire article but I know this is regarding HDCP and them spying on you, cracking down on illegal movies and what not. This is unavoidable, it's not just in the software but in all the latest hardware too. HDCP was introduced by Intel, and guess what, it's built in to their latest CPU's from Pentium D onwards, that includes the Core DUO's.

I really don't see why people are scared of HDCP.....it merely makes it so that a hi-res DVD has to be output digitally to a monitor. Yes, it's a way to circumvent the PC so that it can't be ripped. But it also means good quality. If you Mac people don't want HDCP, then you're not going to get Blu-Ray or HD DVD
tongue.gif
DRM is already all over the Mac. I know....
eek.gif
eek.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #23 of 85
Quote:

blue-apple-logo.jpg

wink.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #24 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif
icon10.gif
And if the Mac ever gets Blu Ray or HD DVD, it will also have to have HDCP. DRM is unavoidable....unless you go back to vinyl
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Exactly.

HDCP isn't something MS created, it's an industry standard built into every hd-dvd and blu-ray player and pretty much any HDTV made within the last few years. If you want access to full HD content and other future audio/video formats you'll have to deal with HDCP no matter what platform you are running.

For those that wish to complain about Vista at least make sure you are complaining about something that is Vista specific and can be blamed solely on Vista.

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #25 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those that wish to complain about Vista at least make sure you are complaining about something that is Vista specific and can be blamed solely on Vista.

Jesus christ you are asking for a lot. You want people to be think for themselves and be reasonable? That's totally ridiculous - I'm not entirely certain where you get off suggesting that people only complain about things that are legitimate to complain about. Personally, I want to blaming Microsoft Windows Vista for the luggage that Air Canada lost and my dog injuring her foot while running.

And just for clarity -- I'm being sarcastic.

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #27 of 85
Quote:

blue-apple-logo.jpg

Have fun being spoon-fed in the Reality Distortion Field
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

That said, I'm so utterly frustrated that seemingly so few outside crApple can do industrial design...

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #28 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif
icon10.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Only on the external software level. The core OS of Apple's OSX does not contain the exploitive inner reworking that Vista does to extend DRM protection. In Vista, it will not be escapable. Only iTunes itself has DRM protection. If you use something like amaroK or Songbird on a Mac, DRM won't even be an issue.

Jan 9, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #29 of 85
I have been reading about the Vista User Account Manager. I sound like Vista is really more of an environment made for corporations that have a controlling IT department that can set up accounts in a proper manner.

It really does not seem like a user friendly OS from reading that material.

Jan 9, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #30 of 85
User-friendliness is hardly important anymore. A large demographic of computer buyers can already sufficiently use a computer, and learn how to use new technologies, with ease.

Vista is just as insecure, just as slow, just as idiotically constructed, and possesses just as poor a kernel, as Windows XP, and every other Microsoft operating system that preceeds it. Linux + GNOME + Beryl will provide the same "user friendliness" as Vista and one will never need to touch the terminal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back