Vista--why I will never get it
Jan 12, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #76 of 85
I can understand why people are so upset. But here's my take...

In a future world our children don't own CDs or Dvds anymore. In fact, they don't own any copyright material. Everything is streamed for single use or playing in certain portable contexts. They don't pay a $1 for any one thing but they pay pennies for absolutely everything. They also have access to all the music, movies and knowledge that exists. They find the concepts of scratchable/crashable media, or anything but instantaneous access to whatever they fancy, to be hilarious.

Don't believe it? How many of you watch broadcsat TV? Or do you rather pay every month for a superior service? Paradigms change.

The question then is: how does society get from here to there? (Because that is where we are going.)

Vista follows the .net and the iTunes Store as early efforts in the transition. They will be clumsy and scary in many ways. They will trample on freedoms taken for granted and have insideous potential side-effects. They will most certainly piss off many current technical users.

But those users aren't the target audience any more than great grandpa was the target audience for TV.

Jan 12, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #77 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if it was a mix up with another patient......that happens a lot

No, to my way of thinking (being a geek and not a doc) they used the wrong tool for the job. They used ultrasounds. When it was all over I asked the guy if an MRI would have given them better information that would have made a difference and he sheepishly admitted it probably would have. (of course we'll never know for sure without a time machine)

I didn't even fuss much less do something like get a lawyer and sue... That's not my way, they did what they thought was best. Ultrasound was a reasonable diagnostic tool - to a point.

It does rather annoy me to this day that an MRI was never mentioned. As a patient (well, husband of patient) we assume the methodology they where using was valid. As soon as I learned that the images they where using did not tell the WHOLE story I immediately asked about the MRI, it just seemed obvious even to a layman.

I like to think if I was the doc I would have done an MRI but that far exceeds my scope of knowledge so I can't really speculate.

Bottom line, they caused an awful lot of grief because they thought they saw something that wasn't there.

Jan 12, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #78 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Some geek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bottom line, they caused an awful lot of grief because they thought they saw something that wasn't there.

I'm truely sorry what you went through. Does sound pretty horrific. And just goes to show that it's not the fault of the diagnosing equipment. Unfortunately, there isn't one magic machine that can scan for everything: MRIs are good for soft tissues, CTs are good for bone and metal, etc etc. So it's the physician that has to first make up hypothetical diagnosises about what it could be: and what tools would be the best to make the final diagnosis. Only way to know how much the hospital might be at fault would be to get some more opinions by other physicians.

Jan 12, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #79 of 85
Can't we all be friends. You're discussing software, not world peace. Stay on topic, no personal attacks and the thread stays open. Otherwise, I will lock it.

Thanks!

Jan 12, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #80 of 85
tyrion

It is Microsoft after all. Talking about MS is like talking about religion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't we all be friends. You're discussing software, not world peace. Stay on topic, no personal attacks and the thread stays open. Otherwise, I will lock it.

Thanks!

Jan 12, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #81 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tyrion

It is Microsoft after all. Talking about MS is like talking about religion.

I can't argue with that.

Jan 12, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #82 of 85
Well I think things have resolved themselves with me, Some geek, and Jokieman. Since the article is layered with opinions, hypotheticals, and assumptions.....it can not be considered all fact. No one here should treat it as such. Because the same things happened with other issues of Windows, Y2K, and so many other things....doom and gloom. I'm not BSing about any of that
icon10.gif

Now if Some geek and Jokieman want to actually talk about Vista's limitation with DRM that's a good topic. Stick to that. Let's not say that Vista will contribute to misdiagnosis and kill people
icon10.gif

Jan 14, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #84 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riboge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't tell for sure reading this thread: Does the latest foobar version run under Vista or not?

Yes it does.

foobar-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back