Vista--why I will never get it
Jan 12, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #46 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Some geek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmmm So an armed robber doesn't harm you, he helps you. He could kill you but he doesn't. I'm glad you see onerous copy protection is a glass half full.

In this case you don't have the choice the robber does. The person whose options are increased is not harmed. (Assuming no psychological issues on his part that would require constraint.)
Quote:

It's not an issue that it takes SOME recourses. It's a matter of degrees. --- Let's take your argument into another realm. All headphones cost money. But you don't see people arguing people should not make headphones...

OK I have a pair of slightly used KSC-75s that I'll sell you for $500.00

I am not harmed by your offer. You could even offer to kill me on top of that. I am still not harmed.
Quote:

ROTFLMAO. Oy, the irony.

I think it is on you rather.

Jan 12, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #47 of 85
Quote:

WOW. Have you not read the multiple people who purchased HP home theater computers that came with HD DVD movies and the movies that came FROM THE FACTORY did not work?

You statement should read... "they all work well with Vista IF each and every piece of hardware including every graphics adapter and every sound card (or cards in our cases) is approved by Microsoft."

And you trust a patients lives on the fact you doubt something. Shouldn't you be a bit more concerned than that?

I would hope so too... But I'd prefer the doc just look at the real scan and not one he didn't know was manipulated. You wouldn't?

Eh OK....someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning! Well if you and the author wanted to argue about security issues within Vista.....that would be a better debate. Instead of coming up with plainly ABSURD assumptions. I only tagged onto the medical analogy since I have experience in the medical field. His assumption is competely out in left field, and is obviously a way to try to be sensational. "Oh my god, Vista actually can kill people".....I heard the same things when y2k was happening. Literaly, the news said that any airplanes flying in the air when the clock struck midnight would all fall from the sky!!! The shear terror!!! And you had to stock up on food, because all the cash registers at the food market would be completely frozen. Needless to say, I completely ignored these assumptions too
wink.gif

Point me to these threads that everyone with a Vista media computer can't ever connect to a HT rig? As long as it's HDCP complient (as many posters on here have said was not created by Microsoft) there shouldn't be problems. Every computer that has a Blu Ray or HD DVD drive has to be HDCP complient....as per the will of Intel, Sony, and Toshiba. Of course with any computer, you can experience long setup times due to both computer and human errors
icon10.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=751319

Jan 12, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #48 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sheesh, this gutmann fellow seems to have based the whole article on his own fears and doubts. It's remarkable how people have taken this as the gospel truth. Who is the guy anyway? What makes his own spin on things "fact" ? I don't think it'll create anywhere near the issues he says. Sure it's protected, did anyone expect otherwise? If you're not trying to crack the content yourself I don't see the problem?

Hardly Disparaging, asking who the guy is is not exactly a doubting his credibilty. He's just not a name that's well know to me. And I made no assumuptions that he was full of bull. I merely stated he seems to have based it all on a worst case scenario, when he himself readily admits it's mostly guesses. and again, the ships calling home has nothing whatsoever to do with (allegedly) degraded audio or video.

Oh and the owner of a thousand ships should know better than to let the critical systems of a ship be run on a computer people are gonna play dvd's on. Lock it down, it's really very simple, remove any media player software, make it a limited user account. bingo, problem fixed.

just accept it, DRM isn't going away, and don't believe everything everyone says.

Oh and yeah I looked at his (very amatuerish) homepage, cryptography seems to be his thing. oh and he calls himself a professional paranoid, so he's hardly gonna see anything positive is he? That and the fact he's all over open source software means he's not really gonna be that positive about windows. one could even say he'd be heavily biased against it. Shocker!

Now, do us all a favour and stop assuming we're all idiots because we choose not to spend all day reading cryptography pages. We actually come here to talk about headphones and related stuff, which is what the thread was originally about.

Most (if not all) of the prople here are not going to be running mission critical imaging software on their home computers, so it's not really going to be an issue for us.

Oh and none of the "issues" have been proven yet, so let's not jump to conclusions.

Now, i have REAL work to do, have a head-fi day

Jan 12, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #49 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if you and the author wanted to argue about security issues within Vista.....that would be a better debate.

HUH? That's the WHOLE debate. Maybe you missed that???

Jan 12, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #50 of 85
Whether or not you like what Vista offers, we will all be using it eventually. Unless you jump ship to Mac or Linux, or something else.

To say you'll never accept it is naieve.

I stayed off XP for as long as I could. But try to find hardware or software that is compatible, or has drivers for, Win9x or Win2k anymore. You're basically left out in the cold unless you "upgrade" your OS. Its that simple.

One way or another, all the stuff you hate about Vista, will have workarounds eventually. Its inevitable. Every single "protection" they throw at us gets bypassed in no time.

What aggravates the hell out of me is that meanwhile, those of us who buy our stuff are left to deal with (suffer through) all the poorly implimented and personal use infringing technologies... which have zero impact on the pirates.

Jan 12, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #51 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh and yeah I looked at his (very amatuerish) homepage, cryptography seems to be his thing. oh and he calls himself a professional paranoid, so he's hardly gonna see anything positive is he? That and the fact he's all over open source software means he's not really gonna be that positive about windows. one could even say he'd be heavily biased against it. Shocker!

Now, do us all a favour and stop assuming we're all idiots because we choose not to spend all day reading cryptography pages. We actually come here to talk about headphones and related stuff, which is what the thread was originally about.

HUH? The thread had nothing to do with headphones. From the start it was about Vista.

And of course crytogeeks are professional paranoids. DO you want your locksmith to be paranoid that someone might break into your house or do you want him to "keep the faith" that everything will be fine?

Basically the guy did a mountain of research and wrote a whitepaper. You reply by calling him names. Don't be real surprised if I believe him over you.

Jan 12, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #52 of 85
Quote:

HUH? That's the WHOLE debate. Maybe you missed that???

Huh??? Maybe you missed the rest of my post! Stick with things you actually know. The author doesn't know one thing about medical imaging, and he's saying that Vista can kill! That's as big BS meter for me: he's definitely trying to be sensational, instead of saying what areas in network security Vista might have troubles with.

Jan 12, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #53 of 85
You said:

Quote:

We actually come here to talk about headphones and related stuff, which is what the thread was originally about.

This thread was not even about headphones, it was about Vista form the start. Try to keep up.

Jan 12, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #54 of 85
Quote:

Stick with things you actually know.

I have a Masters Degree in Comp Sci and I teach a class called "Applied Real Time Digital Cryptography."

Any you?

Jan 12, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #55 of 85
Quote:

I have a Masters Degree in Comp Sci and I teach a class called "Applied Real Time Digital Cryptography."

Any you?

Well here you are misquoting people and not being able to type "and" instead of "any"
wink.gif

So you and the author have no experience with medical imaging....MY POINT!!!!!

Jan 12, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #56 of 85
Quote:

HUH? The thread had nothing to do with headphones. From the start it was about Vista.

And of course crytogeeks are professional paranoids. DO you want your locksmith to be paranoid that someone might break into your house or do you want him to "keep the faith" that everything will be fine?

Basically the guy did a mountain of research and wrote a whitepaper. You reply by calling him names. Don't be real surprised if I believe him over you.

Show me the names I called him. If you can't I'd suggest you take a minute to take a big breath, (preferably outside) think about your posts and calm down. You'll feel a lot better.

Now stop all this angry, reactionary posting please.

This is not why we come to Head-Fi.

Jan 12, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #57 of 85
Quote:

humm....no, this article is definitely out in left field! I know it's rediculous, because they use the same statements as some of the other Vista articles that have been circulating around here. From now on, if I see this paragraph in one of these nay sayer articles, I'm just not going to read it at all!! DRM is already here people.....get over it. Buy CDs or SACDs, rent DVDs or HD DVDs....they'll all work well in Vista.

Who ever thought this up, has obviously never worked in a medical center. For one thing, I doubt that Vista can corrupt graphics while playing mp3s (you can be sure that the professional graphics field would be sueing them if that was the case). Number 2, medical exam rooms are too busy for lab techs to be listening to mp3s on terminals. Number 3, I hope a professional doctor would be able to determine if a scan is high enough resolution to make a diagnoses.

#1: Vista has already failed to work with a lot of hardware devices. So not everything is hunky dorey in Vista world (it even failed to work with the Zune).

#2: DRM has already failed. The legality of DRM is still in question in a big way. The majority of the populace refuses to even accept it's existence. And in order for a law to be enforced, a society must agree that it is a good law that SHOULD be enforced.

#3: I know people who work in the medical field, They have to check equipment quite often to make sure everything is running as it should be. Even a very SMALL corruption of an image can cause catastrophic results. And the fact of the matter is if YOU knew how busy the doc's and tech's were, then you'd know for a fact that they often don't have the time to worry about whether or not something looks a bit fuzzy, or whether that little dot is cancer or just some problem with the image.

#4: The medical exam room is not where the images are read. The tech's are the ones who take the images, the images are passed on to doctors with training to read them, who read them, make a diagnosis, then pass it on to the doctor who ordered the procedure in the first place along with a copy of the image for their own perusal.

#5: There are times in a hospital setting where music is allowed. (though usually it is on a personal device). People do occasionally use their work computers (even at hospitals) to surf the internet.

#6: Yes by all means, if there WAS a professional graphics administration, i'm pretty sure they would be suing, but since their is no graphics-over-lord-administation to do so, it is left up to the individuals to sue. And only time will tell, but my guess is that Microsoft (like Apple and iTunes) will be facing quite a few lawsuits over the fiasco that is Vista.

#7: Companies are notoriously slow when it comes to upgrading O.S's, they will wait and decide whether or not they want to update when the smaller organizations have upgraded to see how things go. It's very possible in fact that Vista will NOT be adopted into the corporate world for several years if Vista's problems are as bad as everyone claims (including testers).

Really man, the only difference between your B.S. and that article's B.S. is that article back's up it's B.S. and you haven't... And that's a big freaking difference. lol.

Jan 12, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #58 of 85
In looking at this thread, I can see that I can’t try to answer each point that is incorrect.

I think a large number of people either didn’t read the link completely or didn’t pay much attention and just leapt to conclusions. Adding to the problem is that it's a fairly technical field.

Let me bring it out the computer world and see what people think……

----------------------------------------------------

Drunk driving is bad.

So Congress passes a law that all new cars should have breathalyzers built in so people can't drive drunk. – That's fine you say; I don’t drive drunk.

[In case you're bad at analogies, Microsoft is Congress and drunk driving is copying so called "premium content."]

But Congress doesn't stop there.

Congress knows that breathalyzers can be spoofed (by having your buddy blow into the tube or using a can of air) so they also make write into the law that car makers should prevent this. (but don’t tell them how to do such a task) Of course there is no way car makers can prevent it but Congress is serious so they write another law….

If someone manages to spoof a breathalyzers in one make or model of car, congress can send a signal from a satellite (OH BTW Congress said there had to be satellite receivers in every car,) and shut of ALL of that make car.

So if Congress finds out that someone got past the security of a Toyota Camry, Congress just shuts down every Toyota Camry in the county until Toyota makes a spoof proof breathalyzer.

If some guy in Iowa spoofs his Camry and you life in New Jersy, too bad buddy, your Camry doesn’t work. Take it up with Toyota. – OH AND BTW if you have your car towed and your mechanic tries to see what is wrong with the car, (mind you only troubleshooting not bypassing the breathalyzer) the mechanic can go to the Federal Pen. (see also DCMA)

NOW… If all you people think this would be OK in cars, then you should have no problem with Vista.

IF you think I'm exaggerating, think again:

http://www.engadget.com/2005/07/21/t...iny-red-button

Jan 12, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #59 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jokieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
#2: I know people who work in the medical field, They have to check equipment quite often to make sure everything is running as it should be. Even a very SMALL corruption of an image can cause catastrophic results. And the fact of the matter is if YOU knew how busy the doc's and tech's were, then you'd know for a fact that they often don't have the time to worry about whether or not something looks a bit fuzzy, or whether that little dot is cancer or just some problem with the image.

But that was one of my points!!! Medical techs are too busy to be playing mp3s on the computer they're using to diagnose on. So therefore, all this business about premium content seems moot. The author's assumption is just used to make a sensational diatribe about how Vista can kill. Now if he had more sane points, then I wouldn't be "spouting off".
icon10.gif

And P.S. I do know more about the medical field since I work in it!!!

Jan 12, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #60 of 85
Quote:

So you and the author have no experience with medical imaging....MY POINT!!!!!

That's silly. Your argument defeats itself.

The discussion is about how Vista will treat medical images. You don't know anything about the topic BUT you do know (supposedly) medical images.

Perhaps I'm just silly, but if I worked with medical images I'd want to know how they will be treated in the future. You don't???

So you know medical images. Who cares?

Do you think Stevie Wonder is qualified to discuss programming a DSP?

Do you think (insert musician names here) is qualified to build a circuit for a DAC because they know music?

Silly.

Would I hire an X-Ray tech to write a program that produced digital X-Rays? No, I'd hire a programmer.

Your self proclaimed knowledge in one field denotes you know little about the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back