VISION EARS | LAUNCH: EVE and ELYSIUM universal
May 1, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #47 of 115
Hey, everyone! My First Look at the @Vision Ears EVE 20 - with photos, sound impressions and initial comparisons - is now live on TheHeadphoneList.com. Enjoy! :D

Thanks for the great write-up, Daniel. What are your thoughts on the size/design of the universal shell of the EVE 20? I found the demo version of the Elysium quite large & could barely fit the Erlkonig in my ears. VE8 was more bearable, but still somewhat large as well. EVE 20 does look to be more compact.

May 1, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #48 of 115
Thanks for the great write-up, Daniel. What are your thoughts on the size/design of the universal shell of the EVE 20? I found the demo version of the Elysium quite large & could barely fit the Erlkonig in my ears. VE8 was more bearable, but still somewhat large as well. EVE 20 does look to be more compact.

Much appreciated! From what I can remember, the EVE 20's shells are very similar to the ELYSIUM demo. I don't know whether or not they have the exact same dimensions, but they do have the same curvature to them.

They are indeed a lot shallower than a lot of universals, but the tear drop shape does allow the outside part to go a lot deeper too, unlike - say - the old JH universals where the whole body (bar the tip) would hang out the sides of your head. I can understand where you're coming from with regards to the size, and it may have to do with the shells' height. Personally, my ears are shaped a bit differently; my left is larger than my right. So, it fits perfectly (almost like a custom) in my left ear, while I can feel it slightly pressing upwards against my antihelix in my right ear. But, all I have to do is let the top of the earpiece hang out slightly, and the fit becomes perfectly comfortable.

So, the best-case scenario would obviously to be demo the EVE 20 directly. If comfort is a concern, perhaps VE could send you an empty shell to test the fit. For me, personally, that slight right ear issue aside, they're the most custom-like UIEMs I've tried in quite a while.

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #49 of 115
Much appreciated! From what I can remember, the EVE 20's shells are very similar to the ELYSIUM demo. I don't know whether or not they have the exact same dimensions, but they do have the same curvature to them.

They are indeed a lot shallower than a lot of universals, but the tear drop shape does allow the outside part to go a lot deeper too, unlike - say - the old JH universals where the whole body (bar the tip) would hang out the sides of your head. I can understand where you're coming from with regards to the size, and it may have to do with the shells' height. Personally, my ears are shaped a bit differently; my left is larger than my right. So, it fits perfectly (almost like a custom) in my left ear, while I can feel it slightly pressing upwards against my antihelix in my right ear. But, all I have to do is let the top of the earpiece hang out slightly, and the fit becomes perfectly comfortable.

So, the best-case scenario would obviously to be demo the EVE 20 directly. If comfort is a concern, perhaps VE could send you an empty shell to test the fit. For me, personally, that slight right ear issue aside, they're the most custom-like UIEMs I've tried in quite a while.

The demo shell was indeed quite shallow, but also taller than other universal shells. I know what you mean about letting the top of the shells hang out; I was able to force them into my ears, but it would cause the tops of my ears to stick out at a weird angle. I did have better luck with the VE8, which I quite enjoyed. I will say the shells did seem especially solid. I’ll have to look into the empty shell suggestion, it never occurred to me that was even an option. Thanks again! Looking forward to your full review of these.

May 4, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #51 of 115
I had the opportunity to hear EVE20 and VE8 last week with A&K SP1000 as source.

Want to agree on @findthereal4’s impression on EVE20. It has awesome build quality and for me perfect fit. Regarding SQ it has wide soundstage, nice bass performance with well textured, punchy bass, very balanced and detailed mids with good layer separation, and nicely balanced, clear and crisp treble.

But I also need to disagree on his impressions in comparison to the VE8! VE8 has slightly more bass foundation, wider soundstage, more microdetails and treble sounds more precise with less sibilants.

I’m new to the world of audiophiles, so my impressions are kinda noobish. But I wanted to share my thoughts here, because for me the VE8 is an outstanding IEM and the EVE20 doesn’t outperform it. Without doubts the EVE20 delivers awesome performance! That‘s why I decided to place a deposit for the EVE20, so I can get it hopefully by end of May.

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #53 of 115
People have been mad curious about the EVE20, and I've just received mine today so here go some preliminary impression!

Packaging and build: VE have really outdone themselves with the EVE20 - a few rough photos, but they come in a beautiful carbon fibre box with a purple VE logo. Awesome metal case with internal padding as well, a brush, disinfectant and a 6.3mm adapter - definitely one of the more pleasant unboxing experiences I've had recently (I'm looking at you 64Audio :D). Included cable is alright, I'll end up replacing that pretty quickly though.

- The fit on these is BRUTALLY awesome - they sit perfectly flush in my ears, and I kid you not they fit me better than any customs I have ever owned. Insanely pleasant deep and proper insertion

Sound

- If you've heard the VE8 - this is practically a VE8. I haven't owned the custom version of it yet, and the demo was very sibilant, but the changes people described when they went from universal to custom VE8 are practically what I am hearing when I went from the VE8 demo unit to the EVE20 universal. If you haven't, read on

- Most broadly put, exceptional lows - nice and slow decay typical for a DD with that BA speed. Not excessive in quantity, rather balanced and slightly above neutral to complement the rest of the signature of the EVE20.
- Top-notch midrange, with a relaxed treble presentation to complement it. The keyword here is textured. I've said before that as far as BA mids are concerned VE have no competitor (Elysium remains my DD midrange king still), and they've confirmed that once again with the EVE20. Rather detailed as well with decent separation. Considering
- Relaxed treble presentation - it is somewhat unlike me to enjoy relaxed highs, but I think in this signature and with these lows they work quite well. If you lift the highs on top of the lows and the mids you'd get an overly intense and fatiguing presentation. The relaxed highs make stuff like EDM and modern rap/hip hop sound really good without being overly fatiguing, which can often be an issue depending on the mastering.
- They're rather technical, not unlike the VE8 - decent detail, separation, clarity and a fairly wide soundstage. Nothing like the IER Z1R, Fourte, A18s or any of the really heavy soundstage hitters, but rather good. The warm and pleasant tonality takes quite a lot of attention away from how technical they are, but either way they're certainly up there and no worse than the VE8, which is already a great great IEM

Overall verdict

- This is where I'm a bit divided. On one hand, these are a pair of awesome awesome IEMs, and they've satisfied my recent desires for a VE8 - since they're practically a universal VE8 if I have to be 100% honest. They might be slightly different in one aspect or another but ultimately it's the same presentation, tuning and considering they're both really technical, owning both would make no sense.

In the 1000-1500 euro bracket my previous favourite was the Acoustune 1695Ti but I dare say this outperforms it quite heavily in terms of detail, separation and overall tonality (it doesn't have that upper midrange tilt of the 1695Ti). My other favourite is the Andromeda S, which remains the option with the sparklier treble but its midrange is heavily behind in terms of texture and the bass is flat out inferior as well. I think the EVE20 will certainly give a lot of other models on the market a run for their money

My only quarrel with the EVE20 is that it feels like the universal version of the VE8, and its identity will inevitably always be tied to that of the VE8 - in a way it feels like a send off for the VE8 more so than its own unique 2020 model. Considering the limited edition Erl is coming up soon, which is a send off for VE's TOTL BA monitor, does this mean that VE are turning the page on two of their most revered monitors?
IMG_0541.jpg
IMG_8098.jpg

May 8, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #54 of 115
Has anyone had their Elysium universal ship yet?

May 12, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #56 of 115
After DHL decided to show my EVE20 around a bit, they did land today (delayed from the planned touchdown on Friday). Packaging is really nice, beautiful case (although much too heavy for daily use -- plus the foam in the box misses inserts to let me easily remove the case).

Sound is interesting, very dynamic yet non-fatiguing (interesting combination...), Bass reaches quite deep, feels a bit better than many pure-BA setups, yet I still prefer the DD bass on my N8. Bass has a nice attack, without midbass bloat. I do like a bit more pronounced subbass, but overall its fine.
The shells look very nice and are really small. Yet they just don't fit my ears and hurt after only 20min. Tried both the small and medium included spin-fit tips. They insert rather deep, which is not comfortable to me to begin with, and they develop hotspots within my left ear canal and around the shell. Right side seems better though. I'll have a third try later this evening or tomorrow, but if I don't find a solution to this they'll have to leave...

May 12, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #57 of 115
After DHL decided to show my EVE20 around a bit, they did land today (delayed from the planned touchdown on Friday). Packaging is really nice, beautiful case (although much too heavy for daily use -- plus the foam in the box misses inserts to let me easily remove the case).

Sound is interesting, very dynamic yet non-fatiguing (interesting combination...), Bass reaches quite deep, feels a bit better than many pure-BA setups, yet I still prefer the DD bass on my N8. Bass has a nice attack, without midbass bloat. I do like a bit more pronounced subbass, but overall its fine.
The shells look very nice and are really small. Yet they just don't fit my ears and hurt after only 20min. Tried both the small and medium included spin-fit tips. They insert rather deep, which is not comfortable to me to begin with, and they develop hotspots within my left ear canal and around the shell. Right side seems better though. I'll have a third try later this evening or tomorrow, but if I don't find a solution to this they'll have to leave...

Try letting the tops of the shells hang out slightly. That should hopefully allow them to fit more easily.

May 13, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #58 of 115
Elysium universal inbound :gs1000smile:! Just in time for some quality weekend listening sessions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back