Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Nov 10, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #5,657 of 5,717
IMG_8806.jpeg

IMG_8807.jpeg

Finally settled on some tips for the EXT.

Introducing the NF Audio MS42 tips.

Probably one of the smoothest tips I’ve ever used. I’ve been having issues with the treble on older rock tracks and these eliminates all hints of sibilance to me. They are also extremely comfortable. The silicone they use feels even softer than Spinfits/Spiral Dots.

Nov 13, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #5,658 of 5,717
Thought I'd throw in my 2c on tip selection, but it kinda turned into more of a full-blown tip/fitment review. :sweat_smile:

I have been using the EXT's almost exclusively for the last 2-ish years since their release, and after many months of tip rolling I realized that the single biggest factor influencing the sound of these is how deeply the tips allow you to seat and seal them in the ear. It's true with most IEM's, but especially so with these.

I ended up using the Sedna Crystals, since they grip my ear canals the best and the short/wide bore keeps the sound mostly unaltered. Small bore tips seem to scoop the mids, while spiral dots/ longer tips slightly muted the highs, resulting in a more bass dominant sound. This is just my opinion and preference though.
Without getting too in the weeds, The EXT's have individual exits for each driver arranged in a relatively larger diameter spread, and preserving the consistency of this diameter until the frequencies mix in my ear canal seemed to sound best for me personally but again its obviously more of a subjective thing.

Many of the criticisms I see from reviewers is that the highs can bite a little and there is a slight lack of sub-bass. Yea, they definitely have a treble boost, but a shallow seal influences the pinna gain, shifting the treble spike these have lower into the 5k-6k region which gives some vocals and instruments a rough edge. Achieving a deep seal keeps it properly closer to the 8k region, adding a bit of sparkle to the overall presentation without causing as many offenses and brings the mids a bit closer. They obviously aren't bass cannons and don't exactly compete with something like the W9 woofers found in EE's products, but I I promise you, once you figure out how to get these snug past that 2nd bend in your ear, any notions of objectively weak sub-bass will vacate the premise unless you are a bass connoisseur in the truest sense.

Fitment/depth is huge with these being semi custom and all, with the positive of this being almost perfect seal/isolation with a good fit, but the negative being more difficult to achieve for a wider range of people. I swear the intended sound of these is almost like a well kept secret to people who can't get these things custom level deep inside their ears without discomfort. I also had fitment issues at first, and many people who I let try them couldn't get a good seal either even with different tips. I don't know if my ears adjusted to their shape or I perfected the art of seating them, but after about 2 months of constant use they began to fit deeply snug like customs and the sound became sublime. It's when the philosophy behind the sound signature VE was going for became super apparent, and almost ruined using universals for me after owning quite a few IEM's in the kilobuck range. It was the moment I knew I was holding on to these baby's for the long haul.

For the sake of fairness, I feel obligated to reiterate that they have an obvious U shape sound sig, and those coming from more neutral phones may find the mid-bass/treble distracting. They definitely aren't the final word in detail/transparency/soundstage, but the way in which they tastefully balance those things with musicality is why I stopped feeling the perpetual need to purchase the next hot thing in this hobby and have turned more toward collecting instead of the endless cycle of sampling and selling.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #5,661 of 5,717
Sharing initial impression from VE-X against Phonix:
- VE-X is a great allround sounding IEM
- VE-X offer more clarity, nuances, and open feel than Phonix
- Vocal is neutral, clean, full body. Phonix is sweeter, more intimate and less upper mid attack. Both IEMs are different in this section , yet, they still share same DNA from Vision Ears house sound ( Vocal on VE-X still more similar to Phonix than to EXT)
- Rumble sub bass effect is much better with VE-X than Phonix. I always imagine what if Phonix have Bass section of VE EXT. I think VE-X is the answer.
- VE-X is more spacious in term of width, but comparable to Phonix in term of depth.
- Phonix is more forgiving for bad recording
- I never thought Phonix lack of sub bass quality, but when AB comparison side by side with VE-X, that was what I felt.

Additional notes: VE-X able to trade blows equally to my Radon 6 (With Spinfit W1). Both IEMs have their own pros and cons. I can easily enjoy both of them well. They have some similarities in character such musical, density notes, rich of rumble deep bass, natural vocal, smooth treble. Radon feeling more open and better depth, but VE-X has sweeter vocality, with more versatile to use at crowd place (or on flight). At such noisy ambience, sound quality of Radon drop considerably.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #5,665 of 5,717
I was not very enthusiastic about the VE10 at CanJam London 2023 as soon as VE said a custom option might be 2024 :)stuck_out_tongue:) but I would find a comparison against the PP8 interesting
Please take this comparison as a grain of salt:relaxed: just by memory:

Major difference between the two lies in their bass. VEX has stronger kick and thump, while PP8 is linear/slightly recessed.

Mids-wise VEX is lush yet 'accurate', reminiscent of VE7. You have your VE magic with loads of detail. Note weight is well-controlled, everything sounds natural without any being emphasized. PP8, on the other hand, is very 'studio' like. It sounds more neutral, perhaps a bit 'dead-sounding' because of recessed ultra-highs; but still a gem of its kind. Details are sufficient, comparable to VE8.

Treble-wise they actually share similar traits. Mid and upper treble aren't overemphasized, which allows listeners enjoy extended periods or music (I have to admit I am 'treble-adverse'; tinnitus waves at me when I put on bright iems for half an hour). VEX, though, extends much further to give more air and present more life-like higher-pitched instruments.

Technicality-wise I have to admit VEX has the upper hand. You have top-of-the-line staging, detail, soundstage. The PP8 is by no means inferior; as a monitoring tool it still performs it job well. I do agree with headfonia that PMX is a better choice of comparison, where both iems are equipped with 10 drivers. PP8 is more reminiscent of VE8; remarkable iems of their time catering different audiophile needs.

Still, at the end of the day hats off to German engineering:tophat: you can't really go wrong with any of these.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #5,669 of 5,717
Has anybody been able to graph the VE 10 yet? Curious to see how it measures based on listening impressions.

Enjoy :)

VE_VE10_Aura_PHX.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back