Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Aug 8, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #5,551 of 5,715
Hi Guys,

I am super excited to see your happy responses on here regarding our new baby!

As it is past my time to leave the working desk already, I will keep it short and simple and come back tomorrow:

Yes, it is indeed the red prototype, although the externals are completely different.
Yes, it will be in London the weekend after next.
Yes, it will be at a few other shows that will be announced here, too.
Yes, we are planning on offering it as a custom version, as this is the flagship of our VE-line, not the premium line.
Yes, it can be used live on stage as well as for audiophiles :wink:
Yes, there will be demos available - but I have to ask for a bit of patience there.

And most important:

Yes, it does sound amazing!
That is spoken as my private opinion and not meant as advertisement - and I am sure that a lot of you will come to a similar conclusion :)

See you all tomorrow,

Jonas :)

So VE10 is a flagship of VE-line while A&K x VE Aura collab is still planned for release and aligned with the premium line (on a flagship level as well?) ?

Aug 8, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #5,552 of 5,715
So VE10 is a flagship of VE-line while A&K x VE Aura collab is still planned for release and aligned with the premium line (on a flagship level as well?) ?

Looking like it. I'm not sure if they technically speaking define that as a flagship though.

Aug 9, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #5,553 of 5,715
IMG_4200.jpeg

Two Phonix resting at its nest.

Aug 11, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #5,554 of 5,715
quick impressions of ve10 at the hkav show:

1. preamble
looking for a new pair of in-ears to listen to edm, pop, and hip hop. getting ready to pull the trigger on the exts

2. gears used
- ak kann alpha at mid gain
- spiral dot (not ++) tips
- stock cable

3. test tracks
- but beautiful (tony bennett & lady gaga - cheek to cheek album)
- plastic hips (siriusmo - enthusiast album)
- monochrome ii (ondekoza - dotou banri album)

4. impressions
- feels somewhat like phonix and ext had a baby
- sensitive to background noise
- vocals are forward, warm, and lush
- visceral bass
- good dynamics with gentle attack
- detailed but overall texture is a bit too smooth for my taste
- good soundstage and image seperation
- light in weight and comfortable to wear

5. comparison to ee ravens
tried the ravens with the same setup. the ravens have a bigger 3d soundstage but perhaps because of this, vocals sound smaller in size and hallower. compared to ve10, the ravens are not as sensitive to background noise, have drier vocals, have more solid and harder hitting but splashier bass. cymbals on the ravens seems tinny as well. maybe because they're new units?

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #5,555 of 5,715

1. preamble
looking for a new pair of in-ears to listen to edm, pop, and hip hop. getting ready to pull the trigger on the exts

2. gears used
- stock cable

3. test tracks

4. impressions
- visceral bass

tried the ravens with the same setup. the ravens have a bigger 3d soundstage but perhaps because of this, vocals sound smaller in size and hallower. compared to ve10, the ravens are not as sensitive to background noise, have drier vocals, have more solid and harder hitting but splashier bass. cymbals on the ravens seems tinny as well. maybe because they're new units?
Have you received any information of VE 10 on pricing and expected release date?

Aug 12, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #5,556 of 5,715
Have you received any information of VE 10 on pricing and expected release date?
Its price in HK supposedly converts to around 3000-3200 USD. Of course, you also have to consider the slightly-different MSRPs each region might get depending on tax and what-not. I’ve heard the release date is October.

Aug 12, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #5,557 of 5,715
Aug 12, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #5,559 of 5,715
Just compiled my impressions on VEX :)

Impressions on VEX:
Tuning:
Neutral with VE signature mids.

Sound profile:
Lows:
Good slam and attack. I hear more mid bass than sub bass. Could have more extension as a DD.
Mids: VE signature, warm and lush as usual. It does sound a bit thinner compared with other VE models due to more treble.
Treble: Smooth yet extended. Air is sufficient but not excessive. Just well-tuned.

Technichalities:
Soundstage:
Great width and depth.
Resolution: Great. Flagship level resolution to me.
Layering and positioning: Good. Sounds can be discerned from one another.
Dynamics: Good. The DD defintely took a big role.

Aug 12, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #5,560 of 5,715
VEX sounds promising. I would be interested in custom-fit but I would need to know more about the sound signature, especially if it matches my library of prog/rock/metal/instrumental/classic.

Aug 12, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #5,561 of 5,715
VEX sounds promising. I would be interested in custom-fit but I would need to know more about the sound signature, especially if it matches my library of prog/rock/metal/instrumental/classic.
I personally believe VEX to be jack of all trades. It may not excel at classical, but you will defintely not be disappointed.

Aug 12, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #5,562 of 5,715

Impressions on VEX:
Tuning:

Sound profile:
Lows:
Good slam and attack. I hear more mid bass than sub bass. Could have more extension as a DD.
Mids: VE signature, warm and lush as usual. It does sound a bit thinner compared with other VE models due to more treble.
Treble: Smooth yet extended. Air is sufficient but not excessive. Just well-tuned.

Technichalities:
Soundstage:
Great width and depth.

Impressions on VEX:
Tuning:

Sound profile:
Lows:

Technichalities:
Soundstage:
Great width and depth.
What is the difference between VE8 and VEX?

Aug 12, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #5,563 of 5,715
VE8 vs VEX
TLDR: VEX excels VE8 in highs and technichalities.

Sound profile:
Lows
: VEX has better slam, while VE8 has a slight edge in attack. VE8's BA bass is still among the bests to me.
Mids: VEX is slightly thinner than VE8. I personally believe this is influenced by VEX's highs. Thus VE8 is relatively more soulful, while VEX is comparatively more accurate.
Highs: VEX is the winner. Smooth yet with sufficient extension. VE8 sounds a bit recessed.

Technichalities:
VEX > VE8 in terms of detail, soundstage, dynamics and layering. Resolution is an apparent step-up.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #5,564 of 5,715
IMG_4200.jpeg
Two Phonix resting at its nest.

Jealous! What a beautiful pair, congratulations!

1. preamble

2. gears used
- stock cable

3. test tracks

4. impressions
- visceral bass

Its price in HK supposedly converts to around 3000-3200 USD. Of course, you also have to consider the slightly-different MSRPs each region might get depending on tax and what-not. I’ve heard the release date is October.

Impressions on VEX:
Tuning:

Sound profile:
Lows:

Technichalities:
Soundstage:
Great width and depth.
VE8 vs VEX
TLDR: VEX excels VE8 in highs and technichalities.

Sound profile:
Lows
: VEX has better slam, while VE8 has a slight edge in attack. VE8's BA bass is still among the bests to me.
Mids: VEX is slightly thinner than VE8. I personally believe this is influenced by VEX's highs. Thus VE8 is relatively more soulful, while VEX is comparatively more accurate.
Highs: VEX is the winner. Smooth yet with sufficient extension. VE8 sounds a bit recessed.

Technichalities:
VEX > VE8 in terms of detail, soundstage, dynamics and layering. Resolution is an apparent step-up.

Thanks for all the impressions on the VEX guys. Very excited about this one.

Yes, it will be around $3000-3200 depending on MSRPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back