Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Jan 8, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #5,431 of 5,715
Any DAP recommendations for Phonix? I am considering the NW-WM1ZM2 from Sony and the SP3000 from A&K
iBasso DX300, DX300 Max, DX300 Max Ti play really well with Phonix. No hiss and they bring out the best of Phonix. I have not tried DX320. Both Max versions have the ability to play around with digital and analogue volume so there is no volume issue with sensitive IEMs nor hard to drive stuff.

Jan 8, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #5,432 of 5,715
I am the oddball that prefers the WM1ZM2 more than the SP3000 with the Phonix.....

Well, maybe the LE would be an even better pairing considering it is a bit less warm.

Jan 8, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #5,433 of 5,715
iBasso DX300, DX300 Max, DX300 Max Ti play really well with Phonix. No hiss and they bring out the best of Phonix. I have not tried DX320. Both Max versions have the ability to play around with digital and analogue volume so there is no volume issue with sensitive IEMs nor hard to drive stuff.
The classic Lotoo PAW Gold Touch is hiss-free as well. ‘Could be a great option if you can find one in the classifieds.

Jan 14, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #5,434 of 5,715
F1B8C01B-7205-4CC5-AC7C-ADC1DE0A4722.jpeg

Really excited for the 222 limited Black and purple Phonix. So stealthy just the Black Panther. Before it arrives, let me listen to the stealth wealth Black and gold phonix.

Jan 20, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #5,435 of 5,715
New to the forum but thought I'd weigh in on the Phonix. I bought my first pair along with the PWAudio First Times cable, in the 4.4mm balanced configuration. I thought the cable connection was a bit loose when I switched from the oem cable to the First Times cable. I didn't think much more about it until I got home from a trip abroad and found that one of the monitors had gotten disconnected from the cable and lost. I decided to buy 2 more pairs of Phonix, just for insurance and because I knew I could use both pairs, one on my balanced system, and the other single ended with my laptop. What I found with the 2nd and 3rd pairs was that the connection was quite a bit tighter. I haven't had any issues of the cables and monitors pulling apart. I believe the original pair was defective. If you buy a pair, make sure the connection is very tight! That being said, the monitor is exactly what I was looking for in terms of sonics, especially with the First Times cable. With the oem cable, it has wonderful definition, clarity, detail, and a continuousness that is addicting. Note that this monitor is not the end-all in clarity and detail compared to other monitors (I had a pair of J Harvey customs that had more of each), however, for me, the Phonix is balanced in a way my other monitors were not. I find monitors which emphasize clarity and detail many times become analytical and not as musical. The Phonix has great clarity and detail but is incredibly musical with an emotional connection I have not found in other monitors. Granted I have not listened to ultra expensive monitors. I listen mostly to classical music but also to vocals (Josh Groban, Andrea Bocelli, Sarah Brightman, Patricia Barber, etc). The frequency response is resonably flat with a tight bass which gives music a wonderful foundation. The sound is not forward, more neutral to slightly laid back. Voice is spectacular from bass to soprano. Leading edges are natural and decay is accurate. All this with the oem cable. Once I added the First Times cable, everything got markedly better. Slight veil was gone; better dynamics and detail; voices had more air; greater cohesion and transmittal of emotion. All 3 pairs sounded identical which suggests good quality control over the internal hardware and interaction with the shell. As noted in prior posts, they are very sensitive, which makes pairing with amp/DAC important. I use the Shanling M9 and it gives me exactly the type of sound I want- musical and emotional first, with excellent detail, clarity, coherence, and sound staging, and no significant bass boost or too much shimmer in the mid to upper. For me, totally non-fatiguing and completely immersive. No background hiss and the background black is incredible. I also used them with the Sony NW-WM1A which works well but looses some of the coherence, musicality, continuousness, and emotion. No background hiss but the background black isn't as black. I also use them with my MacBook Pro single-ended, and the sensitivity forces me to put the laptop volume almost to 0, but there is almost no background hiss.

Hope this helps some folks who are considering monitors in this price range.

John

Jan 22, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #5,436 of 5,715
New to the forum but thought I'd weigh in on the Phonix. I bought my first pair along with the PWAudio First Times cable, in the 4.4mm balanced configuration. I thought the cable connection was a bit loose when I switched from the oem cable to the First Times cable. I didn't think much more about it until I got home from a trip abroad and found that one of the monitors had gotten disconnected from the cable and lost. I decided to buy 2 more pairs of Phonix, just for insurance and because I knew I could use both pairs, one on my balanced system, and the other single ended with my laptop. What I found with the 2nd and 3rd pairs was that the connection was quite a bit tighter. I haven't had any issues of the cables and monitors pulling apart. I believe the original pair was defective. If you buy a pair, make sure the connection is very tight! That being said, the monitor is exactly what I was looking for in terms of sonics, especially with the First Times cable. With the oem cable, it has wonderful definition, clarity, detail, and a continuousness that is addicting. Note that this monitor is not the end-all in clarity and detail compared to other monitors (I had a pair of J Harvey customs that had more of each), however, for me, the Phonix is balanced in a way my other monitors were not. I find monitors which emphasize clarity and detail many times become analytical and not as musical. The Phonix has great clarity and detail but is incredibly musical with an emotional connection I have not found in other monitors. Granted I have not listened to ultra expensive monitors. I listen mostly to classical music but also to vocals (Josh Groban, Andrea Bocelli, Sarah Brightman, Patricia Barber, etc). The frequency response is resonably flat with a tight bass which gives music a wonderful foundation. The sound is not forward, more neutral to slightly laid back. Voice is spectacular from bass to soprano. Leading edges are natural and decay is accurate. All this with the oem cable. Once I added the First Times cable, everything got markedly better. Slight veil was gone; better dynamics and detail; voices had more air; greater cohesion and transmittal of emotion. All 3 pairs sounded identical which suggests good quality control over the internal hardware and interaction with the shell. As noted in prior posts, they are very sensitive, which makes pairing with amp/DAC important. I use the Shanling M9 and it gives me exactly the type of sound I want- musical and emotional first, with excellent detail, clarity, coherence, and sound staging, and no significant bass boost or too much shimmer in the mid to upper. For me, totally non-fatiguing and completely immersive. No background hiss and the background black is incredible. I also used them with the Sony NW-WM1A which works well but looses some of the coherence, musicality, continuousness, and emotion. No background hiss but the background black isn't as black. I also use them with my MacBook Pro single-ended, and the sensitivity forces me to put the laptop volume almost to 0, but there is almost no background hiss.

Hope this helps some folks who are considering monitors in this price range.

John
Thanks for letting know. I have EXT and have experienced it couple of times where the left ear piece drops a lot. I thought it might be due to how I handle them but today I tried them with different cable and it was very loose. Right side is fine and while connecting a new cable I feel the click but for left side IEM it is definitely looses. Thankfully I use them at home only so lucky that I have not lost it 🤓

@Vision Ears can it be confirmed that left side is defective and can it be checked ??

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #5,437 of 5,715
My right ear piece is also a little too loose on the OEM cable for my liking. It's fine for listening, but extra care needs to be taken handling them so as it doesn't detach.
I'll possibly send them back when my Phönix LE arrive and let @Vision Ears service/replace the connection.
Great IEM, has made my "3 to keep list".

Jan 22, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #5,438 of 5,715
Thanks for letting know. I have EXT and have experienced it couple of times where the left ear piece drops a lot. I thought it might be due to how I handle them but today I tried them with different cable and it was very looses. Right side is fine and while connecting a new cable I feel the click but for left side IEM it is definitely looses. Thankfully I use them at home only so lucky that I have not lost it 🤓

@Vision Ears can it be confirmed that left side is defective and can it be checked ??

Interesting. I have not experienced this. Would be curious, too.

Jan 30, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #5,439 of 5,715
876C1905-EF6B-420D-A4E8-622A8A14E100.jpeg

Phonix looks so gorgeous at any angle. Piece of art.

Feb 14, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #5,443 of 5,715
My EXT all of a sudden feels like it’s not so dynamic as it used to be. It feels a bit flat in the sub and mid bass and the trebles sound higher. Does it come with the usual acoustic filters that VE models have and if so could it be that the filters need replacement ?

I‘ve listened to the same old tracks many times and it does feel different. I hope I’m not being paranoid.

Feb 14, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #5,444 of 5,715
My EXT all of a sudden feels like it’s not so dynamic as it used to be. It feels a bit flat in the sub and mid bass and the trebles sound higher. Does it come with the usual acoustic filters that VE models have and if so could it be that the filters need replacement ?

I‘ve listened to the same old tracks many times and it does feel different. I hope I’m not being paranoid.
did you replace cable recently?
I had issue on other iem when I replaced cable and had wrong polarity on one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back