Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
May 20, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #5,176 of 5,715
I just purchased the EXTs from Musicteck today. Can’t say enough about how great Musicteck is and I only recently realized they’re local to me! Anyway, even without burn in the EXTs just sound great across the board. I’m driving them with a Shanling M9 (also from Musicteck) which has more than enough power to give a good bass wack and tends to even out any treble spikes the EXTs may be prone to.

Congrats, you’ve got a nice setup! 👍

May 20, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #5,177 of 5,715
I just purchased the EXTs from Musicteck today. Can’t say enough about how great Musicteck is and I only recently realized they’re local to me! Anyway, even without burn in the EXTs just sound great across the board. I’m driving them with a Shanling M9 (also from Musicteck) which has more than enough power to give a good bass wack and tends to even out any treble spikes the EXTs may be prone to.
The EXT are amazing, in my case even fit wise, almost like a custom. I am driving them through AK SP2000T (Hybrid mode normally), LP6K and AK SE100, never noticed that treble spike and I am very sensitive with treble …

May 22, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #5,178 of 5,715
The EXT are amazing, in my case even fit wise, almost like a custom. I am driving them through AK SP2000T (Hybrid mode normally), LP6K and AK SE100, never noticed that treble spike and I am very sensitive with treble …
I thought I had read they had treble spikes but in using them much more I think the treble is near perfect.

May 25, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #5,179 of 5,715
X-Post from @PLUSSOUND thread

I’m just now putting this gorgeous X6 hybrid+ through its paces but thought I would share a couple of pics and very early impressions.
No A/B yet, and haven’t listened very critically yet, either. Mostly just trying to ‘get to know’ the cable. I’ll likely compare with my other PS cables in the coming days.

Build quality and craftsmanship are A+, as expected from Christian and his @PLUSSOUND team.
Despite being an X6, the cable is stiffer and thicker than its X8 brothers that I own; not stiff to the point of the ergonomics being bad by any means, it’s just stiffer - still very reasonable for portable use.

Have used it on my U18s, EXT, and (as you can see below) Erkly LE. Three things pop out at me so far based on the Erkly LE (just because that’s what I happen to have in my ears at the moment). Setting 2, DX312EX, Lossless Apple Music: sub-bass pops more than I recall from a pure silver cable (again, I’ll do true A/B in a few days), which is a welcome quality with the Erkly, which is more mid-bass focused. I don’t notice much change to mids, which are still beautifully rendered in Erlky’s “heavier” quality. Treble is smooth and extended. Soundstage is slightly wider than I recall, but still intimate on the Erkly.

More to come but so far, I am super pleased with this cable!

C8E38750-C760-4566-9550-4F515CBFFA77.jpeg
2BBCEB6D-5477-4151-98F1-81E257FB7CDC.jpeg

May 30, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #5,182 of 5,715
May 30, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #5,183 of 5,715
Cross post from Watercooler thread.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ex-on-first-page-all-welcome.957426/page-1720

Vision Ears Phönix Impressions

Per my usual disclaimers.

I’m not an ‘audiophile’ by any means but I love my music and I love how certain headphones, IEMs, and TWS invoke fond memories and emotions of past and present life experiences with my family.

Tested on genres such as Classical, Jazz, Pop, EDM, Hip Hop, Movie scores and soundtracks such as Wonder Woman, Batman Begins, Inception on stock cable with 2.5mm termination on FiiO M11 Plus ESS and Spinfits CP360 XL tips

This is my first time listening to an all BA configuration, let alone 13 BA’s in an IEM and I am pleasantly surprised at the poise and organic timbre the Phonix presents. It’s elegant but can also punch when it needs to punch on elegant tracks, bass tracks and mid-range heavy tracks.

It has a stunning degree of openness and airiness that I just love in IEMs. This is my musical choice when it comes to the sonic qualities of an IEM. I appreciate detail and resolution but when it comes to being ‘immersed’ in my music, I much prefer the opportunity to be enveloped in the velvety embrace of this sonic blanket whether in the high frequencies, mid-range or bass. I like to feel ALL of it but it needs to have poise, cohesion, control, naturalness and enough space for me not to feel fatigue or cramped.

I absolutely love the width, depth, layering and imaging capabilities of the Phonix. It is step up from the CFA Dorado 2020 but not ‘too’ far off but it is a nice step up nonetheless and noticeable. When I listen and describe the qualities of an IEM, I try to provide the emotions that they invoke when I listen to my music and try to focus less on the technicalities and more on the musicality and how it makes me feel overall with my library. Listening to the FFXIV soundtrack gives me a sense of grandeur with its airy and organic presentation with great poise, layering, body and weight to its sonic profile. It really is outstanding. I’m literally transported into the midst of the orchestra with that grand sense of space and 3-dimensional aspect.

Fit and Build Quality 4.5/5
  • Feels premium, excellent fit
  • Smooth where it needs to be smooth to have a good fit and not create any weird itches or scuffing in your ears or any of the cartilage
  • No wearing fatigue or soreness even after several hours of usage
Treble 4/5
  • Just the right amount of air and extension without fatigue and sibilance
  • Precise textured and gives plenty of detail and resolution without over extending the FR
Mid-Range 4.5/5
  • Sweet, elegant, lush, forward and positioned well around the listener without feeling cramped
  • Those guitars, flutes, violins and pianos are highly resolving and sounded very accurately placed from a layering, width and depth perspective.
Vocals 4/5
  • Warm across the board for both Male and Female vocals. Female vocals sound crisp, airy with excellent extension and not a single resemblance of sibilance or harshness, it’s incredible
  • Male vocals sound accurate, husky and has great texture
Soundstage/Imaging 4.5/5
  • Simply outstanding, the best I’ve heard in an IEM thus far in terms of width, depth and 3-dimensional space that it creates without feeling artificial or forced
  • Layering is composed, accurate and right where the instruments should be to my ears
Bass 4/5
  • Could have used a little more mid and sub-bass, I may be a bass head but I love the texture and bass detail of the Dorado 2020 and listening to the Phonix left me wanting a little bit more on that front. The Dorado’s rattle my skull a little bit more and I would have appreciated a little more ‘oomph’ on that front but still provided great texture, detail and impact for a BA setup.

The biggest challenge for me still remains. Which is the price. Is the Phonix worth it’s insane $4.5K+ CAD price point? When I compare the subtleties and differences in its sonic profile vs the CFA Dorado 2020, the answer is unfortunately a no for me. It definitely gave me an extra sense of emotion and musicality that is still similarly presented by the Dorado 2020 but doesn’t warrant the 3x price point in my view.

Nevertheless, I have very much appreciated this community, the thoughts shared across a number of IEMs and I count myself fortunate to be part of the banter and trying out such gems, even if only for a short period. Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts and impressions 😊

Ps. I will try to replicate a similar format for thoughts and impressions of the EXT in the coming weeks. Thanks again @Rockwell75 for organizing these tours!

Attachments

• 20220530_180537.jpg
    20220530_180537.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220530_180520.jpg
    20220530_180520.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
May 31, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #5,184 of 5,715
Cross post from Watercooler thread.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ex-on-first-page-all-welcome.957426/page-1720

Vision Ears Phönix Impressions

I’m not an ‘audiophile’ by any means but I love my music and I love how certain headphones, IEMs, and TWS invoke fond memories and emotions of past and present life experiences with my family.

Tested on genres such as Classical, Jazz, Pop, EDM, Hip Hop, Movie scores and soundtracks such as Wonder Woman, Batman Begins, Inception on stock cable with 2.5mm termination on FiiO M11 Plus ESS and Spinfits CP360 XL tips

This is my first time listening to an all BA configuration, let alone 13 BA’s in an IEM and I am pleasantly surprised at the poise and organic timbre the Phonix presents. It’s elegant but can also punch when it needs to punch on elegant tracks, bass tracks and mid-range heavy tracks.

It has a stunning degree of openness and airiness that I just love in IEMs. This is my musical choice when it comes to the sonic qualities of an IEM. I appreciate detail and resolution but when it comes to being ‘immersed’ in my music, I much prefer the opportunity to be enveloped in the velvety embrace of this sonic blanket whether in the high frequencies, mid-range or bass. I like to feel ALL of it but it needs to have poise, cohesion, control, naturalness and enough space for me not to feel fatigue or cramped.

I absolutely love the width, depth, layering and imaging capabilities of the Phonix. It is step up from the CFA Dorado 2020 but not ‘too’ far off but it is a nice step up nonetheless and noticeable. When I listen and describe the qualities of an IEM, I try to provide the emotions that they invoke when I listen to my music and try to focus less on the technicalities and more on the musicality and how it makes me feel overall with my library. Listening to the FFXIV soundtrack gives me a sense of grandeur with its airy and organic presentation with great poise, layering, body and weight to its sonic profile. It really is outstanding. I’m literally transported into the midst of the orchestra with that grand sense of space and 3-dimensional aspect.

Fit and Build Quality 4.5/5
  • Feels premium, excellent fit
  • Smooth where it needs to be smooth to have a good fit and not create any weird itches or scuffing in your ears or any of the cartilage
  • No wearing fatigue or soreness even after several hours of usage
Treble 4/5
  • Just the right amount of air and extension without fatigue and sibilance
  • Precise textured and gives plenty of detail and resolution without over extending the FR
Mid-Range 4.5/5
  • Sweet, elegant, lush, forward and positioned well around the listener without feeling cramped
  • Those guitars, flutes, violins and pianos are highly resolving and sounded very accurately placed from a layering, width and depth perspective.
Vocals 4/5
  • Warm across the board for both Male and Female vocals. Female vocals sound crisp, airy with excellent extension and not a single resemblance of sibilance or harshness, it’s incredible
  • Male vocals sound accurate, husky and has great texture
Soundstage/Imaging 4.5/5
  • Simply outstanding, the best I’ve heard in an IEM thus far in terms of width, depth and 3-dimensional space that it creates without feeling artificial or forced
  • Layering is composed, accurate and right where the instruments should be to my ears
Bass 4/5
  • Could have used a little more mid and sub-bass, I may be a bass head but I love the texture and bass detail of the Dorado 2020 and listening to the Phonix left me wanting a little bit more on that front. The Dorado’s rattle my skull a little bit more and I would have appreciated a little more ‘oomph’ on that front but still provided great texture, detail and impact for a BA setup.

The biggest challenge for me still remains. Which is the price. Is the Phonix worth it’s insane $4.5K+ CAD price point? When I compare the subtleties and differences in its sonic profile vs the CFA Dorado 2020, the answer is unfortunately a no for me. It definitely gave me an extra sense of emotion and musicality that is still similarly presented by the Dorado 2020 but doesn’t warrant the 3x price point in my view.

Nevertheless, I have very much appreciated this community, the thoughts shared across a number of IEMs and I count myself fortunate to be part of the banter and trying out such gems, even if only for a short period. Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts and impressions 😊

Ps. I will try to replicate a similar format for thoughts and impressions of the EXT in the coming weeks. Thanks again @Rockwell75 for organizing these tours!
Really good impressions.

I think the cost point is the same with most of these big TOTLs. They may cost 3x as much but the question is are they 3x as good? I would agree this is not necessarily the case. I think once you reach a certain level ( say £1,500 for arguments sake), then the ability of more expensive IEMs go up in smaller increments than say the difference between a £500 IEM and a £1,000 IEM. That’s what I’ve found of course and YMMV and all that. 😃

May 31, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #5,186 of 5,715
Really good impressions.

I think the cost point is the same with most of these big TOTLs. They may cost 3x as much but the question is are they 3x as good? I would agree this is not necessarily the case. I think once you reach a certain level ( say £1,500 for arguments sake), then the ability of more expensive IEMs go up in smaller increments than say the difference between a £500 IEM and a £1,000 IEM. That’s what I’ve found of course and YMMV and all that. 😃
Thanks! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and YMMV for sure. If I had the disposable income, I would probably justify the cost because it's within my 'means' but in my current stage of life, it's not.
It's called the point of diminishing returns
Diminishing returns, agree. It is quite a special IEM though for an all BA setup. Not quite $4.5K special (in my view), but special, nonetheless. :)

May 31, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #5,187 of 5,715
Cross-post from Watercooler thread. :)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ex-on-first-page-all-welcome.957426/page-1734

Vision Ears EXT Impressions

At first listen, the EXT immediately impressed with its highly resolving mid-range, treble response and extension. Pianos have this amazing resonance with the weight of the lower notes which completely immerses the listener into audio bliss. This is clearly the EXT’s strength and combined with the weightiness of the DD, mid-bass and sub-bass is impactful, well textured and very satisfying. It’s easy to see why this IEM has gotten the attention it has to-date. I could see these being the perfect choice if you want energy and resolution. I think long-term listening would be a challenge for me though. It’s not as smooth as the Phonix.

EXT are a little more difficult to drive than the Phonix. I need them at high gain with a few additional notches on the volume to get it to a reasonable listening level as the Phonix. Cymbal crashes, kick drums really shine on the EXT and it has this chesty impact that again, is very satisfying. I tend to prefer a ‘fuller’ sound with more airiness and EXT is far from sounding ‘thin’ to my ears, but it could definitely use a little more ‘fullness’ to it’s sound. If the Phonix had the impact and sub-bass rumble of that DD from the EXT, I think that would be my end game IEM. (at this point in time) Unless I hear something else in this price range that can match or surpass the Phonix in its current standing, I will be keeping my eyes on a used pair in the future. I do caveat this by saying that I haven’t heard the XE6 and other FIR IEMs which I am pretty excited to also try with this tour. That DD is freaking addictive and EXT just kills it.

Fit and Build Quality 4/5
  • The vented design is a bit of love and hate. Might collect grime and dust overtime so I’m not as a big of a fan for long-term use but the EXT’s visual aesthetics is spectacular
  • Feels premium, good fit
  • Snug and has a deep insertion depth. Slightly uncomfortable after a few hours of usage
Treble 4.5/5
  • Great sparkle without fatigue and has an outstanding amount of detail and resolution
  • Treble clarity and emphasis are where the EXT also shine IMO
  • Cymbal crashes are accurate and with right amount decay to my ears
Mid-Range 4.5/5
  • Highly resolving and this is where the EXT’s strength really shines. Elegant, refined, lush, somewhat forward.
  • Violins sound realistic and cry with hair raising emotions
  • Flutes and guitar crunches are satisfying, extremely detailed and resolving.
  • Trumpets and trombones accurately reverberate with a high degree of realism and depth resonating from the brass
  • Piano’s have a satisfying amount of weight and body for lower notes and crisp for higher notes
Vocals 4/5
  • Female vocals sound crisp, airy, with excellent extension and no sibilance or harshness, it’s fantastic
  • Male vocals sound weighty, has chesty elements and satisfies
Soundstage/Imaging 4/5
  • Not as airy or spacious as the Phonix which set the bar pretty high for me. Stage is wide, not as deep but the imaging and detail is good, just not as immersive and airy as the Phonix
Bass 4.5/5
  • Love the texture and impact of the DD on the EXT. If the Phonix had a DD to produce the slam, I think it would near perfect for my taste. IMO, nothing beats the detail, and immersive feeling of a DD bass slam.
  • Kick drums have a nice thump and weight with good decay
  • Cello's have an outstanding amount of weight and resonance
  • The Supermoon’s bass detail, texture and slam from the planar is pretty darn close, if not the same or better.

Overall, EXT is a fantastic IEM but it didn’t give me the same emotional response as the Dorado, Supermoons, or Phonix did. There’s just something about the weight, depth and airiness of the Phonix’s sonic profile that triggers many more emotions and that’s where I extract the most enjoyment in an IEM. As I mentioned in my Phonix impressions, I like to feel ALL the elements of my music with cohesion and impact across the FR. I can definitely appreciate the EXT’s detail, resolution and mid-range performance but it didn’t quite hit the mark for me in terms of overall enjoyment and immersion.

Ps. I will try to replicate a similar format for thoughts and impressions of the FIR IEMs when they hit my doorstep in the coming weeks. Thanks again for reading fellow coolereans. :)

Attachments

• 20220530_180033.jpg
    20220530_180033.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220530_180006.jpg
    20220530_180006.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Jun 1, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #5,189 of 5,715
Cross-post from Watercooler thread. :)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ex-on-first-page-all-welcome.957426/page-1734

Vision Ears EXT Impressions

At first listen, the EXT immediately impressed with its highly resolving mid-range, treble response and extension. Pianos have this amazing resonance with the weight of the lower notes which completely immerses the listener into audio bliss. This is clearly the EXT’s strength and combined with the weightiness of the DD, mid-bass and sub-bass is impactful, well textured and very satisfying. It’s easy to see why this IEM has gotten the attention it has to-date. I could see these being the perfect choice if you want energy and resolution. I think long-term listening would be a challenge for me though. It’s not as smooth as the Phonix.

EXT are a little more difficult to drive than the Phonix. I need them at high gain with a few additional notches on the volume to get it to a reasonable listening level as the Phonix. Cymbal crashes, kick drums really shine on the EXT and it has this chesty impact that again, is very satisfying. I tend to prefer a ‘fuller’ sound with more airiness and EXT is far from sounding ‘thin’ to my ears, but it could definitely use a little more ‘fullness’ to it’s sound. If the Phonix had the impact and sub-bass rumble of that DD from the EXT, I think that would be my end game IEM. (at this point in time) Unless I hear something else in this price range that can match or surpass the Phonix in its current standing, I will be keeping my eyes on a used pair in the future. I do caveat this by saying that I haven’t heard the XE6 and other FIR IEMs which I am pretty excited to also try with this tour. That DD is freaking addictive and EXT just kills it.

Fit and Build Quality 4/5
  • The vented design is a bit of love and hate. Might collect grime and dust overtime so I’m not as a big of a fan for long-term use but the EXT’s visual aesthetics is spectacular
  • Feels premium, good fit
  • Snug and has a deep insertion depth. Slightly uncomfortable after a few hours of usage
Treble 4.5/5
  • Great sparkle without fatigue and has an outstanding amount of detail and resolution
  • Treble clarity and emphasis are where the EXT also shine IMO
  • Cymbal crashes are accurate and with right amount decay to my ears
Mid-Range 4.5/5
  • Highly resolving and this is where the EXT’s strength really shines. Elegant, refined, lush, somewhat forward.
  • Violins sound realistic and cry with hair raising emotions
  • Flutes and guitar crunches are satisfying, extremely detailed and resolving.
  • Trumpets and trombones accurately reverberate with a high degree of realism and depth resonating from the brass
  • Piano’s have a satisfying amount of weight and body for lower notes and crisp for higher notes
Vocals 4/5
  • Female vocals sound crisp, airy, with excellent extension and no sibilance or harshness, it’s fantastic
  • Male vocals sound weighty, has chesty elements and satisfies
Soundstage/Imaging 4/5
  • Not as airy or spacious as the Phonix which set the bar pretty high for me. Stage is wide, not as deep but the imaging and detail is good, just not as immersive and airy as the Phonix
Bass 4.5/5
  • Love the texture and impact of the DD on the EXT. If the Phonix had a DD to produce the slam, I think it would near perfect for my taste. IMO, nothing beats the detail, and immersive feeling of a DD bass slam.
  • Kick drums have a nice thump and weight with good decay
  • Cello's have an outstanding amount of weight and resonance
  • The Supermoon’s bass detail, texture and slam from the planar is pretty darn close, if not the same or better.

Overall, EXT is a fantastic IEM but it didn’t give me the same emotional response as the Dorado, Supermoons, or Phonix did. There’s just something about the weight, depth and airiness of the Phonix’s sonic profile that triggers many more emotions and that’s where I extract the most enjoyment in an IEM. As I mentioned in my Phonix impressions, I like to feel ALL the elements of my music with cohesion and impact across the FR. I can definitely appreciate the EXT’s detail, resolution and mid-range performance but it didn’t quite hit the mark for me in terms of overall enjoyment and immersion.

Ps. I will try to replicate a similar format for thoughts and impressions of the FIR IEMs when they hit my doorstep in the coming weeks. Thanks again for reading fellow coolereans. :)
As a 'non-audophile.' You pretty much nailed how the EXT sounds. Excellent job.

Jun 1, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #5,190 of 5,715
As a 'non-audophile.' You pretty much nailed how the EXT sounds. Excellent job.
Thanks for the kind words! It's been a blast listening to these TOTL IEMs. So many good options in the market and I'm now wondering when and how I can potentially get my hands on a second hand pair in the future. Supermoon and Phonix are on the top of my list so far. That may change when I hear the FIR IEMS but I feel like I've been spoiled now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back