Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Apr 27, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #5,147 of 5,715
The one advantage of it's "predecessor" !
Vision Ears Elysium (2).jpg
I'll choose customs without a blink if it is available. Sadly for my lineup, none were offered as customs....

Although Elysium has always intrigued me. How is the pairing with the 1Z? How is the sound compared to a higher-powered source?

Apr 27, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #5,148 of 5,715
I'll choose customs without a blink if it is available. Sadly for my lineup, none were offered as customs....

Although Elysium has always intrigued me. How is the pairing with the 1Z? How is the sound compared to a higher-powered source?
It's midcentric and smooth but with plenty of detail, but Elysium does definitely scale up with a higher powered source. It's more dynamic and the bass is tighter with less bleed into the lower mids. Also, I've used the Elysium universal, and the customs provide a noticeable boost in bass, likely due to the better seal I suppose. I use either my P6 Pro or the 1Z with the C9, so yes, the sq does improve with higher power. Still waiting on the US tour sets to arrive to hear the EXT and Phonix.

Apr 27, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #5,149 of 5,715
I'll be the devil here: try the M9, dead silent with the Phonix and great pairing sonically.

For me WM1ZM2 is better but it does hiss ever so slightly when music is off, and much more expensive.
I can share my experiences and also reached out to VE.
With the 3max, P6pro and RS6 and also LPGT , there's no hiss at all.
With the N8ii, there's a hiss in P+ mode and with mid/high gain. With the C9, there was a hiss at any time.
So, it deepends on the DAP and gain settings.
I love my Phoenix , but it's really sensitive.

Apr 27, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #5,150 of 5,715
With the N8ii, there's a hiss in P+ mode and with mid/high gain. With the C9, there was a hiss at any time.
It actually doesn't bother me at all if I can't hear the hiss during music playback, and TBH to me the Phonix with the ZM2 can be treated as dead silent. I don't think I have noticed anything even without music playing unless I put 100% attention to it. Maybe the cable also contributed to less hiss?

I don't think I am that sensitive anyway - FWIW I have never heard hissing so loud that I can pick up even during music playback with any IEM. Maybe I should try plugging in my Phonix to my Macbook Pro to experience true hissing.....

Apr 27, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #5,151 of 5,715
It actually doesn't bother me at all if I can't hear the hiss during music playback, and TBH to me the Phonix with the ZM2 can be treated as dead silent. I don't think I have noticed anything even without music playing unless I put 100% attention to it. Maybe the cable also contributed to less hiss?

I don't think I am that sensitive anyway - FWIW I have never heard hissing so loud that I can pick up even during music playback with any IEM. Maybe I should try plugging in my Phonix to my Macbook Pro to experience true hissing.....
Yes. I tried it with a Shure 2pin and the hiss was less noticeable.

Apr 27, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #5,152 of 5,715
I don’t want to part with the Phonix but I want to address the hissing issue I’m having. I was having a read through this thread and I saw the iFi iEMatch mentioned which I’m hoping may be able to help. I’ve had a search and found it on Amazon, and it looks like you can get it in 2.5mm or 4.4mm.

Is this the right thing I need to help remove the hissing?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iFi-Headphone-Ear-Monitor-Amplifier-Attenuator/dp/B09HXRSB9B?th=1

That's affirmative. Our iEMatch was designed specifically to reduce noise and expand available headroom, which is particularly useful in case of sensitive IEMs. Thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 27, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #5,153 of 5,715
I think a pretty high chance😂the EXT nozzle is just way too big and the rest of the shell bends in weird ways like a CIEM.

FWIW I find the EXT much more comfortable than the Phonix. EXT is either extremely comfortable or outright unbearable, so yeah as you have said, just have to demo it.
Thanks!
Settled with the Azla Sedna Light Shorts.

Tip rolling is a complete nightmare. My fingers are nearly bleeding.
At least it wasn't your ears bleeding, lol 😂

Apr 27, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #5,154 of 5,715

I can't pick it up during playback either. It's usually between songs and quiet night, low volume listening.

So 4.4mm iEMatch is offered in UK but I can't find one in US... hmmm

Apr 27, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #5,155 of 5,715
Have you considered getting a different DAP?
Yes I have. On my short list are N8ii, M9 and WM1ZM2. I guess my concern is whether I still get hissing with them. From other replies it seems M9 or 1ZM2 may be a good proposition.

I hear you... it really limits where you can enjoy it. I have used iEMatch with Andro in the past and they could work. I always felt that I was losing dynamics and staging when using iEMatch. Have not tried with Phonix so its hard to say how Phonix will respond.

I do think that my iBasso DX240 pairs very well. Essentially no hiss. iBasso family (220/240/300) has always been good with sensitive IEMs.
I’m glad I’m not alone with this issue. Good to hear about the iBasso DAPs. When the 300 came out I was close to getting it, but decided in the end to stay with the R8. As the iEMatch is only around £60 I’m going to give that a go in the first instance to see if it solves the problem.

I'll be the devil here: try the M9, dead silent with the Phonix and great pairing sonically.

For me WM1ZM2 is better but it does hiss ever so slightly when music is off, and much more expensive.
Those two DAPs are already on my radar. I recall reading elsewhere that the M9 was a good pairing with the Phonix. The new Sony does interest me though albeit it comes with a big price tag too.

Thanks for sharing this. It’s interesting to know what sources pair well with the Phonix.

That's affirmative. Our iEMatch was designed specifically to reduce noise and expand available headroom, which is particularly useful in case of sensitive IEMs. Thanks!
Thanks for confirming. I’m going to order one and see how it goes.

Apr 29, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #5,156 of 5,715
I’ve ordered the iFi iEMatch 2.5mm for my Phonix so fingers crossed it does the job. 🤞

Apr 29, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #5,157 of 5,715
I’ve ordered the iFi iEMatch 2.5mm for my Phonix so fingers crossed it does the job. 🤞
Keen to hear your thoughts on the iFi match with Phonix :)

Apr 30, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #5,158 of 5,715
I hope someone can give me a little help with this. I listen to the Phonix out of my R8 and I enjoy the sound from this pairing. However, the Phonix does appear to be rather sensitive and I am experiencing hissing when I listen to music. A lot of the time it is to be heard on quieter songs or those with pauses or gaps in the track. Sometimes though I think I can hear hissing even when a busy song is playing.

I don’t want to part with the Phonix but I want to address the hissing issue I’m having. I was having a read through this thread and I saw the iFi iEMatch mentioned which I’m hoping may be able to help. I’ve had a search and found it on Amazon, and it looks like you can get it in 2.5mm or 4.4mm.

Is this the right thing I need to help remove the hissing?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iFi-Headphone-Ear-Monitor-Amplifier-Attenuator/dp/B09HXRSB9B?th=1
I have a Hiby impedance adapter 4.4 to 4.4 somewhere and a few iFi matches somewhere also that I can send you to try. Send me a PM. That should take care of the hiss but there is always a change of dynamics etc. Not worse but different. I have tried numerous that are out there since I had an Andro obsession at one point.

I am super sensitive to hiss. Numerous DAPs I have liked, I have had to sell due to any sort of background noise with sensitive IEMs.

I have had the best luck with iBasso DX300, DX300 Max, and DX300 Max Ti. Those are the three most versatile DAPs I have owned. And they can handle the power hungry IEMs.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #5,159 of 5,715
Keen to hear your thoughts on the iFi match with Phonix :)
Sure. The package has arrived and so I’ll do some testing shortly.

I have a Hiby impedance adapter 4.4 to 4.4 somewhere and a few iFi matches somewhere also that I can send you to try. Send me a PM. That should take care of the hiss but there is always a change of dynamics etc. Not worse but different. I have tried numerous that are out there since I had an Andro obsession at one point.

I am super sensitive to hiss. Numerous DAPs I have liked, I have had to sell due to any sort of background noise with sensitive IEMs.

I have had the best luck with iBasso DX300, DX300 Max, and DX300 Max Ti. Those are the three most versatile DAPs I have owned. And they can handle the power hungry IEMs.
Thanks, that’s really good of you to offer. I’ve purchased the iFi iEMatch and it’s just been delivered and so I’m going to give that a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back