Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
May 2, 2022 at 2:47 AM Post #5,165 of 5,715
May 2, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #5,166 of 5,715
I unboxed the iFi iEmatch and put it on the side ready to use. The next thing I did was find some tracks where I could easily hear some hissing so that I could test it.

Without the iEmatch I found a tiny bit of hissing on one track, but it was so feint I had to really zone in to hear it. So this is where it got weird. I have been hearing hissing with the Phonix / R8 pairing for a while, to the point that on soft or quiet songs it was becoming really annoying. Today however there is no hissing. Bar that first feint one, there was no hissing on any other song. I must have gone through and tested over 100 songs to check, and included all the ones with quiet passages or intro’s that I have. I haven’t changed anything to my set up and so answers on a postcard to explain that one.

So I couldn’t actually test the iEmatch at this point. However, I thought I’d test it anyway to see if there was a reduction in dynamics or similar issues. My set up before introducing iEmatch was:

Phonix >> stock cable 2.5mm >> ddHi-fi 2.5mm to 4.4mm >> R8 >> Tidal

When I added the iEmatch to the chain the first thing I noticed was the volume. Ordinarily I listen at a volume of 26, but after the addition I had to go to 38 to volume match. I then did an A/B with and without the iEmatch and I found that with including the device the music lost a bit of punch and crispness. The quality of the track was still good but everything seemed just a little reigned in. I think you could get used to this, and with a little brain burn I found I could do exactly that. However I found it difficult to get past the feeling that I was missing out a little on the music.

One thing I can’t comment on though is how good the iEmatch removes hissing. Right now the gremlins have already removed it for me. But I’ll report back with my findings when the hissing decides to return and I can then test the iEmatch again.

May 3, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #5,167 of 5,715
I bring good tidings courtesy of VE Ely!
Distributes very narrowly, ie to me.
But, hey, no harm in the ol’ ‘just saying’, right? (Though I’m not alone, can’t be.)

Ely > Spiral dots++ (small) > stock cable (!?!) > balanced, A&K se200, AKM side = Oh so very, just exactly perfect.

Aaahhhh….
Mids so clear crisp vivid and elegant.
Bass and treble support, gracefully dexterous.
Cyrus Chestnut Trio.
Moods change, hearing too but no denying—this is sheer delight.
Wholesome titillation!
Ok. I’m done now. Cheers

Add info: key “mod”—nozzle spacer rings used as backstops to spiral tips. Adds tip length to Ely apertures, rather than tips flush to stem

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #5,168 of 5,715
My EXT on classifieds if anyone interested, shipping within Europe only!

May 11, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #5,169 of 5,715
Just arrived from @doctorjuggles :)

How nice is this cable! If it sounds even half as good as it looks I will be very happy :)

Attachments

• IMG_1610.jpg
    IMG_1610.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
May 11, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #5,170 of 5,715
May 15, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #5,174 of 5,715
Thanks to MusicTeck's promotion, I can have both VE7 and VE8 IEMs at the same time, I will also do some more objective comparisons. The VE8 is going to be released before the VE7, it has a warmer, more detailed sound, and I think the cables from Eletech and Effect Audio would fit nicely. VE7 is more inclined to restore, without too much modification, but the sound is very delicate, I will be more inclined to copper cables.

May 19, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #5,175 of 5,715
I just purchased the EXTs from Musicteck today. Can’t say enough about how great Musicteck is and I only recently realized they’re local to me! Anyway, even without burn in the EXTs just sound great across the board. I’m driving them with a Shanling M9 (also from Musicteck) which has more than enough power to give a good bass wack and tends to even out any treble spikes the EXTs may be prone to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back