Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Dec 18, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #4,456 of 5,715
I owned this Horus, I’m surprised with the synergy…
I tried the Octa version and yeah it is a good match. Although one could also say nothing much has changed because it didn't alter the sound signature at all.

Some others I have tried so far that worked (read: everything was a fine match)
- Eletech Aeneid: some might find it a bit on the warm side but good synergy overall.
- Code 51: this works with anything anyway
- Brise Yatono Ultimate: sounds buttery smooth, but the cable is anything but. Literally stiffer than barbed wire.

Phonix seems to work with most cables. TBH it doesn't seem to respond to cable rolling that much. I can't pick up significant differences compared to the stock cable (unlike EXT for example).

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #4,457 of 5,715
IMG-20211102-WA0008.jpg
Ecstatics is always important part of my earphone journy. Vision Ears and Effect Audio are great pairing. Black amd gold color combination is nice. I am a simple man, when my gears looks good, I feel good. Of cuz it must also sounds good, but I have no worries about the sound because I can trust and leave it all to Vision ears to handle that aspect.
How was the sound paired with horus?

Dec 19, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #4,458 of 5,715
How was the sound paired with horus?

The Phonix is a very well-tuned IEM. It basically will sound good with any cable that you throw at it. This shows that how good the Phonix is. It sounded so good by itself already, rolling the cable is only icing on the cake. No matter what cable or player you paired with it, you can still tell it is the sound signature of the Phonix as Vision Ears tunned. Playing with cable is mostly a personal preference. Have a listen to the Phonix, and let it sink in, then everything you read will start to make sense.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #4,459 of 5,715
I tried the Octa version and yeah it is a good match. Although one could also say nothing much has changed because it didn't alter the sound signature at all.

Some others I have tried so far that worked (read: everything was a fine match)
- Eletech Aeneid: some might find it a bit on the warm side but good synergy overall.
- Code 51: this works with anything anyway
- Brise Yatono Ultimate: sounds buttery smooth, but the cable is anything but. Literally stiffer than barbed wire.

Phonix seems to work with most cables. TBH it doesn't seem to respond to cable rolling that much. I can't pick up significant differences compared to the stock cable (unlike EXT for example).
I owned the Horus 4, the 1960 4 Kmod and I own the code 51.
I agree with you, the code 51 match with every iems I own : Fourté noir Signature + Erlknonig LE + Elysium.

The Horus octa was different sounding compared to the Horus 4. The resolution, bass, treble soundstage… Everything was superior, and the mids were forward and lush.
But not as warm as the 4.
A great pairing with Soundwriters, if not the best.

I found the Horus 4 very colored, reason why I was surprised…

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #4,460 of 5,715
*Cross post from Flin17*

Battle of the Birds: Vision Ears PHöNIX versus Oriolus Traillii JP
FullSizeRender 18.jpgFullSizeRender 17.jpg

Let me preface this aerial fight with that I went into buying PHöNIX with hopes that it could replace Traillii for me. I am approaching my 1-year anniversary with my custom Blackbird, which is easily my longest commitment to any IEM. From impressions and reviews I've read, as well as my experience with the ERLKöNIG, I figured PHöNIX would provide the rich, emotional mid-range for vocals and instruments with world-class technicalities and tuning.

Does it? Mostly. Does the Firebird replace the Blackbird for me? Sadly, no.

Ergonomics + Synergy:

Two of my favorite tangible things about the Traillii has been:

1. It's superb fit
2. How consistently it sounds good across various DAPs/DACs/cables/file sources

I cannot say the same for PHöNIX. I had some fit issues with ERLKöNIG, but I thought it was the weight and figured PHöNIX would suffice better. But only one set of tips kept the IEM glued to my ears, and that was the trusty ol' Xelestecs. PHöNIX simply does not deem my earholes as an ideal nesting place :sob: .

Similar to ERLKöNIG, PHöNIX is more sensitive than Traillii on DAP synergies. It slightly hisses from my SP2000, iDSD Pro Signature, and to an extent, the L&P W2. It is not particularly noticeable but something worth noting. I also genuinely don't think the SP2000 is an ideal synergy for the PHöNIX (yet, amazing for the Blackbird), something I believe @Damz87 also noticed. Yet, for the majority of these impressions, I directly A/B'd the two IEMs on a mix of SP2000 and iFi iDSD Pro Signature (Solid State).

PHöNIX easily wins for general build, with a beautiful sapphire glass exterior and unique back-shell. It also has a much more elegant unpacking experience-but it's not difficult to beat Traillii's infamous cardboard box.

On the flipside, Blackbird comes with a better cable [PWA 1960 4wire], one that even elevates PHöNIX a notch or two versus its' stock cable.

Winner: Blackbird

Which Bird Sings Better?

IMG_1301.jpg

Bass: In direct A/B, Blackbird's bass performance wins out for me. They are both top of their class when it comes to balanced-armature bass, providing excellent detail, speed and impact. But ultimately, the Blackbird's subbass emphasis is more tastefully done because it provides that additional detraction from the occasional BA-timbre midbass that ALL BA's will suffer from to some extent. (E.g., plasticky, lack of air movement). There is a noticeable subbass rolloff on PHöNIX, with an emphasis on midbass punch (which is no surprise given its' Erlky DNA).

PHöNIX's bass is clean and actually tighter than Blackbird. It provides solid punch but I did notice "pillow-y" BA timbre on tracks such as in Shahmen's "Mark (Emr3yugal Remix). Blackbird, on the hands, extends deeper into the frequencies with a more "DD-like" slam. Of course, neither will slam more authentically than an elite DD [EVO] or even Planar [LCD5], but still perform at the top of their class.

Winner: Blackbird

FullSizeRender 20.jpg

Mids: ERLKöNIG is in my top 3 for best mids of all time...not sure if I can say the same for PHöNIX. The best analogy I can use is the PHöNIX is to ERLKöNIG much like the LXSE is to the LX. Both PHöNIX and LXSE provide additional treble and air to their OG counterparts, which unfortunately affects the texture and warmth that I personally found special on the OGs.

Don't get me wrong-vocals sound excellent. PHöNIX adopts Erlky's DNA with more forward mids than Traillii, which will better suit those who found Traillii too laid-back. But I found Blackbird to have more texture and warmth which made instruments and vocals sound more organic than on PHöNIX. It's almost as if the mids on PHöNIX are clearly present, but glossed-over with a layer of air which just made it tougher for me to get engaged.

There is no winner here-it'll come down to preferences. If you want your vocals a little pushed back in the mix but with excellent microdetail and hint of warmth, go Traillii. If you want your mids more forward with strong body but on the brighter side, go PHöNIX.

Winner: Depends. [Blackbird for me though]

Treble: I have a sensitivity to poorly done and/or excessive lower treble, so it's no surprise that Blackbird's lower-treble dip strongly resonates with me. Yet in overall treble quantity, PHöNIX easily wins. There is more detail and air than on Bird, and I imagine this will suffice better for genres that require more upper-harmonics. Despite the treble quantity on PHöNIX, it is very smooth and eloquent. Yet, I still found Blackbird providing more sparkle, probably because it is easily for the sparkle to present itself in the midst of a darker lower-treble.

Although I personally prefer Blackbird's treble, I think I can admit that PHöNIX generally has the better overall treble balance- which makes it even more impressive given it uses BAs instead of electrostats.

Winner: PHöNIX
FullSizeRender 19.jpg

Soundstage/Technicalities: I'll keep this one brief. Blackbird wins in soundstage width and slightly depth, PHöNIX easily takes soundstage height. @toaster best described the Erlky's staging as a "Christmas Tree", meaning average width but staggering upwards to a nice peak. Fortunately, the same unique staging applies to PHöNIX, which provides an intimate, airy presentation. This can work excellently depending on the track.

Imaging is excellent on both, and despite Blackbird lower-treble recession, I found it to have more accurate imaging with a touch more depth. The average width on PHöNIX made it difficult for me to pinpoint notes as easily, although I know others would argue otherwise.

Layering is a touch better on Blackbird. But PHöNIX does win on dynamics, meaning punchier transients (not just in bass, but overall) which does help with engagement for those who find Traillii too laid-back or "flat".

Winner: Blackbird, for me. I can respect an intimate presentation, but found PHöNIX width just too average.

IMG_1297.jpg

Conclusion:

Traillii is old news to many, including myself. But after an optimistic blind-buy on PHöNIX, it did help me rekindle my love for the Noir bird. There is something magical about its tuning, balancing warmth with technicalities for a rich, airy, textured, emotional listen.

I've never been to a jazz club, so the PHöNIX staging analogy is a bit foreign to me. But it is undeniably more intimate, mid-forward and airy. Although I would classify the two IEMs closer to one another than the ERLKöNIG is to Traillii, PHöNIX & Traillii are still different enough to justify holding both if funds aren't an issue.

But ultimately for me, the Blackbird outmaneuvers the new, sexy, fiery PHöNIX and will continue nesting safely in my home.

TL;DR:

PHöNIX's additional treble may be a welcome treat for many who found ERLKöNIG too thick and warm, but it unfortunately does so at the expense of texture and overall engagement for me. Despite falling short to my personal Blackbird Traillii, PHöNIX still offers a unique, seductive staging with excellent vocals and technicalities and should comfortably hold its' spot in the summit-fi world.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #4,462 of 5,715
How close are the mids and highs on the ext when compared to the odin? Odins are pretty forward, but I do like that.
They are very different throughout. Which aspects of the mids and highs do you want to compare? The mids are nowhere near as forward as Odins and upper treble comes across a lot more extended lending to more of a ‘U’ type signature on the EXT.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #4,463 of 5,715
Bob: Can you please stop just talking about Vison Ears IEMs and how they compare to each other! Can you please compare the new VE IEMs with other IEMs.

SLC: Yes, sir my Lord!

VE Extended as compared to EE Odin: DD/DD/4 Estat versus 2 DD/5 BA/ 4 Estat

There is a massive difference in warmth between the two monitors. EXT comes off as very warm with thicker notes versus the detail master that the Odin is. The analogy that comes to mind for me is how the keys on a piano sound. The keys on the Odin make quick precise notes. The keys on the EXT create a slower, warmer note.

The next thing that hits me is the bass. The same thing applies with the bass. The Odin bass is tight and quick with a big slant toward the sub bass. The EXT has a little more overall bass with an equal amount of sub and mid bass.

The next area that I hear is the treble. The treble on the Odin is more impactful. Too much for some most likely. The EXT treble goes along better with the rest of the signature. Warm and not overwhelming at all.

That leads to a big difference and that would be with the upper mids. There is an upper mid bump with the Odin that really stands out. Very easy to discern the difference with female vocals. They are more forward with Odin.

My ears hear a “darker” IEM with the EXT and a brighter IEM with Odin. When A/Bing the two, each of those areas of focus really get accentuated. When listening to each on their own the differences are not so extreme. The Odin has massive detail with a sub bass bump and an upper mids bump. The EXT has warmer notes without any bumps. The only slant of the EXT could be toward the lower mids.

Dec 20, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #4,466 of 5,715
Congrats!
This is quite an unboxing experience, is it?

Nothing like VE there, I still remember my Elyisum unboxing :heart_eyes:

Dec 20, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #4,467 of 5,715
Congrats!
This is quite an unboxing experience, is it?

Thank you and 100% agree with you, there is nothing like VE ! This is what I wrote in my other thread !

Absolutely blown away ... !!

It is the Unboxing !!

Trust me, I have thought long and hard whether to spend so much on any headphone.
The presentation of the product alone has convinced me that
It is absolutely worth it !
I have never unboxed anything so premium even for higher prices than this. I feel like a celebrity :D

A huge thanks to Amin and the VE team for sending me this just before the holidays !!
Listening to my favorite tracks now. More details to come later :wink:

Dec 20, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #4,468 of 5,715
One stupid question. I can't for the love of God seem to be able to put the stock Azla tips on the Elysium EXT.
The holes in the eartips are just too small. I gave up after a while, trying not to break anything. Is there a trick to this lol ?

I am using the SpinFit tips so far and I'm quite happy with it, but I was just wondering why the other one did not fit.
Man, these headphones go deep into the ear and fits perfectly. Whoever designed this Universal is a genius !

Dec 20, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #4,469 of 5,715
By far the most satisfying unboxing experience I’ve ever had in my entire audiophile life 😁

Dec 20, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #4,470 of 5,715
It's
One stupid question. I can't for the love of God seem to be able to put the stock Azla tips on the Elysium EXT.
The holes in the eartips are just too small. I gave up after a while, trying not to break anything. Is there a trick to this lol ?

I am using the SpinFit tips so far and I'm quite happy with it, but I was just wondering why the other one did not fit.
Man, these headphones go deep into the ear and fits perfectly. Whoever designed this Universal is a genius !

Its tricky but there's a way. You gotta turn the tips inside out, pinch the base and put the bottom lip on at an angle, then stretch and push the rest of it over. I was worried I was gonna tear the tip but they seem to be quite resilient. Once it's over. Push it all the way down. It may seem like like they aren't on when your trying to stretch them over but as long as the bottom lip doesn't slip it'll go on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back