Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Nov 14, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #3,678 of 5,715
I concur… started to notice it after around 30 hours but 50 would certainly do the trick.
How does EXT rank in your collection?

Nov 14, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #3,679 of 5,715
Picked up my EXT from Musicteck on Friday. How many hours of burn-in are you guys saying they need?

I wonder if anyone else gets the same first impression as me- ie the EXT is an absolute no-go.
I did read that someone else reported that the mids were lacking a lot and bass was overpowering but it seems like these issues disappeared after a period of burn in.

Naturally, I would be more than happy to eat crow and actually buy a pair after all.
What kind of music do you listen to? I have the legend x and atlas in my collection because I love bass and mid-upper treble. Definitely not a fan of upper mids (2k-4k) which is why I sold my Odins. The reason I ordered the EXT is because I've been looking for a signature like that but a bit more neutral than the other two. Rock/hip-hop sounds great on the X and just hip-hop works well for the atlas. Hoping the EXT performs well in those genres but with a bit better mid performance and clarity

Nov 14, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #3,680 of 5,715
I wonder if anyone else gets the same first impression as me- ie the EXT is an absolute no-go.
I did read that someone else reported that the mids were lacking a lot and bass was overpowering but it seems like these issues disappeared after a period of burn in.

Naturally, I would be more than happy to eat crow and actually buy a pair after all.
That's fine not to like EXT (I absolutely love mine though). According to someone (sorry, forgot his name), the EXT already had 100 hours burn in when you received it. I dont think further burn in would make huge differences.

Nov 14, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #3,681 of 5,715
What kind of music do you listen to? I have the legend x and atlas in my collection because I love bass and mid-upper treble. Definitely not a fan of upper mids (2k-4k) which is why I sold my Odins. The reason I ordered the EXT is because I've been looking for a signature like that but a bit more neutral than the other two. Rock/hip-hop sounds great on the X and just hip-hop works well for the atlas. Hoping the EXT performs well in those genres but with a bit better mid performance and clarity
I don't focus on a single genre as my collection is super diverse. From pop to folk to jazz to electronic to rock etc etc.
Sadly, I didn't listen to the EXT nearly long enough to compare to my other IEMs, but a very unscientific observation led to me moving on to other gear I have.

The test in question was to listen to a few specific tracks with both the EXT and my Obravo Ra 21 C-Cu (which, admittedly, is a rather exotic IEM in itself);
The Ra sounded far more spacious with more clearly defined mids as the bass didn't steal the show to the point of me hearing the mids as recessed (which was the case with the EXT);

I guess that the EXT will be quite a bit more neutral than both Odin and Legend X.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #3,682 of 5,715
I just noticed MusicTeck changed the status on the Phönix from pre-order to order, so it appears it is now in stock. I’m waiting for @Deezel177 ‘s review …

Nov 14, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #3,683 of 5,715
I don't focus on a single genre as my collection is super diverse. From pop to folk to jazz to electronic to rock etc etc.
Sadly, I didn't listen to the EXT nearly long enough to compare to my other IEMs, but a very unscientific observation led to me moving on to other gear I have.

The test in question was to listen to a few specific tracks with both the EXT and my Obravo Ra 21 C-Cu (which, admittedly, is a rather exotic IEM in itself);
The Ra sounded far more spacious with more clearly defined mids as the bass didn't steal the show to the point of me hearing the mids as recessed (which was the case with the EXT);

I guess that the EXT will be quite a bit more neutral than both Odin and Legend X.
How long did you have the ext? They need a good burn in for the dds to settle, then the cohesion is sublime.

Nov 14, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #3,684 of 5,715
I just noticed MusicTeck changed the status on the Phönix from pre-order to order, so it appears it is now in stock. I’m waiting for @Deezel177 ‘s review …
A review's gonna take a little while. My initial impressions are a couple photos away from being ready. Gimme a day or two. :wink:

Nov 14, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #3,685 of 5,715
How long did you have the ext? They need a good burn in for the dds to settle, then the cohesion is sublime.
As @Tanjiro posted, "That's fine not to like EXT (I absolutely love mine though). According to someone (sorry, forgot his name), the EXT already had 100 hours burn in when you received it. I dont think further burn in would make huge differences."

I suppose we can't all like the same things.
I didn't feel like spending more time with something I categorically knew wasn't for me. The only part of the sound signature that impressed was the low end.

However, I am glad to see that lots of folks seem to be loving theirs.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #3,686 of 5,715

I've never learned to love an IEM. Time only seems to solidify my initial 10 min impressions. Oh, for sure I've felt like I needed to due to cost or to not feel like I am the only one, and everyone else likes it, so what's wrong with me, etc.
But you get over that.
If I need a break after 10 initial minutes, I am 90%+ certain it will go to the chopping block. (as long as burn in does not factor and they've been adequately seasoned)

Stick to your guns and dislike it. It's fine.

Nov 14, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #3,687 of 5,715
A review's gonna take a little while. My initial impressions are a couple photos away from being ready. Gimme a day or two. :wink:

No worries, take your time. Since I committed to buying a MEST Indigo, I need to wait till the first of the year before I can contemplate a further 4K purchase. ✌️

Nov 14, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #3,688 of 5,715
Signing up for the tour on your site Bill. Theres so much to chose from now, I fear I'll be picking up at least 2 TOTL Iems since I havent bought anything since A18t release. Considering trailli, ext, phonix, odin, indigo, fusang, eco, erlkonig, m5, some new 64 flagship. Thanks for great impressions, one question. Do both ext and phonix have more or less impactful mid/sub bass than A18t/U18t?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #3,689 of 5,715
Nov 14, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #3,690 of 5,715
Signing up for the tour on your site Bill. Theres so much to chose from now, I fear I'll be picking up at least 2 TOTL Iems since I havent bought anything since A18t release. Considering trailli, ext, phonix, odin, indigo, fusang, eco, erlkonig, m5, some new 64 flagship. Thanks for great impressions, one question. Do both ext and phonix have more or less impactful mid/sub bass than A18t/U18t?
Dude, have you been living under a rock?! Where you been?

Good to see you around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back