Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Mar 22, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #902 of 5,715
Mar 22, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #903 of 5,715
giphy.gif 6.gif

Mar 29, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #904 of 5,715
Hey guys! I just got back from the Vision Ears launch event at ConnectIT, where they unveiled the VE3.2 and VE4.2 for the very first time in Singapore. Unfortunately, the Elysium was not in attendance, but I will be listening to it tomorrow at CanJam Singapore 2019. Here are photos from the event (click for the full image), and some brief impressions of the VE3.2 and VE4.2. Enjoy! :D

Like the original VE3, the 3.2 possesses a linear tonal balance. Thankfully, the 3.2’s most noticeable improvement is the original’s main flaw: Spatial performance. The stage it exhibits is now stable with decent headroom, strong holography and even proportions. The diagonals are particularly impressive. When listening to overhead mics, the VE3.2 accurately positions them at 10 and 2 o’clock; how the drummer would hear it. In terms of frequency response, the only forwardness I hear are in the upper-mids, while a mid-treble dip smoothens articulation quite a bit. For my tastes, I believe those regions could be better balanced. With an EQ, I added a 2dB dip at 4kHz and a 1.5dB rise at 8kHz, and I found the result more energetic, engaging and clean (or defined) all around. The verdict on whether or not it could compete with its peers (resolution-wise, especially) is still up in the air to me, but as a well-balanced, spacious and inoffensive all-rounder, I’d say Vision Ears have done an impressive job reprising the VE3.

The VE4.2 possesses a signature that’s more space-oriented. A laidback upper-midrange and a more articulate treble creates a stronger sense of space. The treble seems to extend further as well, rendering a blacker background, greater headroom and a more holographic presentation. Despite the VE4.2 pitch as a bass-driven IEM, the signature is actually impressively well-balanced. Echoing in-ears like Empire Ears' X Series or the 64 Audio A6t, the low-end is more sub-bass driven, but there's a fair bit of mid-bass body as well. Again, the midrange is gorgeously spacious whilst remaining likeable with a large majority of music. It’s a thicker shade of neutral, so it sounds pleasing with everything. Like the 3.2, the midrange possesses strong dynamic range as well, but the blacker background and the sense of space exacerbate that effect. I found the treble more coherent and articulate on the VE4.2, though I believe it's more so because its upper-midrange sounds more laid-back. Considering how mixed I was with the original VE4, I think the VE4.2 has gone to greater lengths to improve upon its predecessor. It's now an IEM I'd call an all-rounder plus bass with great midrange integrity to boot.

Apr 8, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #905 of 5,715
Where can I get more info on those elysium? Not even on their website there are info on those.

If they are slightly better overall -with more punchier lows than the V8- consider one pair sold.

Also, vision ears can take orders without a 3rth party involved? They have my 3d prints already and my v8 fits like a dream already, no need for alterations.

Apr 8, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #906 of 5,715
Where can I get more info on those elysium? Not even on their website there are info on those.

If they are slightly better overall -with more punchier lows than the V8- consider one pair sold.

Also, vision ears can take orders without a 3rth party involved? They have my 3d prints already and my v8 fits like a dream already, no need for alterations.

The Elysium is set to launch in May, so it'll only be on their site by then. I think the VE8 is overall fuller-sounding. The Elysium has a sound that's more geared towards clarity, precision and tightness. If you want more bass impact, I don't think the Elysium will give you that over the VE8.

Apr 8, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #907 of 5,715
The Elysium is set to launch in May, so it'll only be on their site by then. I think the VE8 is overall fuller-sounding. The Elysium has a sound that's more geared towards clarity, precision and tightness. If you want more bass impact, I don't think the Elysium will give you that over the VE8.

I see, well maybe I'll skip those, I still want to try them.

The V8 are great, I wish they have something like TIA drivers for the treble and a notch more of bass for my very own personal preference which can be considered V shape.

I dream for the day that a earphone combines the lows of the atlas, the treble similar to the TIA (without the occasional hissing noises) and the overall quality and mids of the V8, my own homer car.

Apr 9, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #908 of 5,715
I see, well maybe I'll skip those, I still want to try them.

The V8 are great, I wish they have something like TIA drivers for the treble and a notch more of bass for my very own personal preference which can be considered V shape.

I dream for the day that a earphone combines the lows of the atlas, the treble similar to the TIA (without the occasional hissing noises) and the overall quality and mids of the V8, my own homer car.

Perhaps the custom version will have more prominent bass response. We'll have to see.

Apr 9, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #912 of 5,715
Both within 1k to 1.2k I feel.

If you want to make the VE6 a bit sharper-sounding and less wispy/airy in the upper-mids, the Han Sound Audio Aegis is a great choice. If you want to make the VE6 sound even lighter and airier (with body to the treble), Effect Audio’s Leonidas II is a great option as well. For a source, I think iBasso’s DX200 is a great option for an open, neutral sound. The DX220 is coming out soon, but I don’t know how expensive it’ll be.

Apr 9, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #913 of 5,715
If you want to make the VE6 a bit sharper-sounding and less wispy/airy in the upper-mids, the Han Sound Audio Aegis is a great choice. If you want to make the VE6 sound even lighter and airier (with body to the treble), Effect Audio’s Leonidas II is a great option as well. For a source, I think iBasso’s DX200 is a great option for an open, neutral sound. The DX220 is coming out soon, but I don’t know how expensive it’ll be.
Oh great! I read about the DX220 as well. Pricing wise will have to wait and see. I was considering the Han Sound Audio Muse. How would that influence the VE6? Oh and also, how will the noise be when it comes to pairing the VE6 with the DX200?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #914 of 5,715
Oh great! I read about the DX220 as well. Pricing wise will have to wait and see. I was considering the Han Sound Audio Muse. How would that influence the VE6? Oh and also, how will the noise be when it comes to pairing the VE6 with the DX200?

I haven’t heard the Muse, so I can’t say. Across all the amp modules I’ve tried, the DX200’s noise floor is quite low. You shouldn’t have any hiss issues whatsoever.

Apr 9, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #915 of 5,715
I haven’t heard the Muse, so I can’t say. Across all the amp modules I’ve tried, the DX200’s noise floor is quite low. You shouldn’t have any hiss issues whatsoever.
OK so that is good news so far. I never really understood how the IEM's sensitivity and the DAP's SNR and noise floor go hand in hand though. I shall try out the Muse someday and compare it with the Aegis as you have suggested!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back