Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Nov 5, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #871 of 5,715
Ok but they do refit so... it's technically possible but they won't do it.
Got it, VE8 are for life!
Well I think a refit takes less work since it's usually not a complete rebuild and it's included in the price you pay to Vision ears (for maintenance etc) whereas an ownership transfer would be time consuming and not worthwhile for them, completely rebuilding a solid fill acrylic iem is pretty tough, that's why few companies are willing to even touch Fitear CIEMs. I wish it weren't the case because i have my eye on a VE8 and previously a VE6XC, oh well.

Nov 5, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #872 of 5,715
I think for refitting they are just working on slight changes to the edges, while a transfer would necessitate a complete new shell. And reusing the components is complicated by the filled shells, getting the drivers out would mean destroying cabling etc. more work than fitting new drivers into a shell obviously... I don't think it's business tactics on their side, just economically not viable: it might cost the same as a new unit, maybe even more.

Filling the shells is actually a good thing, making them more robust for stage use...

Nov 5, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #873 of 5,715
My understanding was it's not fully filled shell but half filled. That probably doesn't change the issue but it means with the existing policies of manufacturers, you get a custom there is no resell possible it's basically for life. Better not loose or gain 20 pounds...

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #874 of 5,715
My understanding was it's not fully filled shell but half filled. That probably doesn't change the issue but it means with the existing policies of manufacturers, you get a custom there is no resell possible it's basically for life. Better not loose or gain 20 pounds...

As @Panohm stated, refits are small tweaks that are included in the price you pay for the IEMs. I’m sure that if your ear shape changes due to weight loss/gain, they’d be able to work something out since it’s for the original owner.

As far as reshell goes, the go-to for VE IEMs would be Naga Audio. They’ve done tons of VE reshells in the past including preserving the original drivers, wiring and horn bore (switches too for the VE6XC).

C601AC24-D1D7-40E7-89F2-F626D749AFA4.jpeg 62EC8D74-D6EF-4EEB-B0B7-4C67BDBF3F6E.jpeg 2632931B-F38D-41DE-8B87-4AED365AE09C.jpeg

I have a pair of universal Layla’s being converted to customs by them at the moment, so I’ll be able to speak personally of their build quality and sound preservation then. They did confirm to me that they’re capable of reshelling a VE8. :wink:

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #875 of 5,715
Nov 5, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #876 of 5,715
As far as reshell goes, the go-to for VE IEMs would be Naga Audio. They’ve done tons of VE reshells in the past including preserving the original drivers, wiring and horn bore (switches too for the VE6XC).

That sure looks interesting... my first thought was they might grind down the old shell until it fits within the new shell, but that would depend very much on the color of the original shells. My next idea was that they found a way to chemically (or optically) dissolve the shells... the only way I can think of that preserves the cabling and connectors. But that might be a question they would not answer... for obvious reasons.

Nevertheless its nice to know that someone is able to do that. While I intend to keep my customs (64audio N8, which poses other problems due to their design using the shells as an acoustic chamber), I'll still keep that in mind... I was considering the VE8 as well, and thinking about the possibility to resell them.

Jan 29, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #878 of 5,715
So I just got my PW 1960 4 wire (lucky secondhand pick thanks to @popof94), I had auditioned them on the VE8 but since I have some quality time now it’s even better than my memory what a pairing! I have always found myself wanting more bass kick with the VE8, the LionHeart and Ares II never fulfilled that want... the 1960 is really a special cable... something cable non believers should audition :p

Now I intend to get it recabled (it’s currently in 3.5 single ended and 2 pin) because I have the itch of pairing it with the Solaris and FW10000, which are MMCX. I’ll probably recable the ALO Gold 16 in 2 pin on the flipside, I suspect it would pair very well with the VE8 and Phantom as well. In the meantime, I’ll enjoy the 1960 on the VE8 this is a mesmerizing pairing... wait a minute I wonder if the synergy is not even better with the Phantom... oh my

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #879 of 5,715
So I just got my PW 1960 4 wire (lucky secondhand pick thanks to @popof94), I had auditioned them on the VE8 but since I have some quality time now it’s even better than my memory what a pairing! I have always found myself wanting more bass kick with the VE8, the LionHeart and Ares II never fulfilled that want... the 1960 is really a special cable... something cable non believers should audition :p

Now I intend to get it recabled (it’s currently in 3.5 single ended and 2 pin) because I have the itch of pairing it with the Solaris and FW10000, which are MMCX. I’ll probably recable the ALO Gold 16 in 2 pin on the flipside, I suspect it would pair very well with the VE8 and Phantom as well. In the meantime, I’ll enjoy the 1960 on the VE8 this is a mesmerizing pairing...
How much to be you in like a week? I got 80 bucks here we can discuss it over PM.

Jan 29, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #880 of 5,715
Waoww David, you don’t waste your time:beyersmile:

Jan 29, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #881 of 5,715
How much to be you in like a week? I got 80 bucks here we can discuss it over PM.

Sure... you want my debts as well :wink: ?
I was totally crazy on this one but I couldn’t pass up on this, I have dreamt of this cable ever since I have auditioned it... I am sharing in meetups but that in Paris :p

If only all my IEMs had the same connector :-\
I tried 2 pin > MMCX adapters once, they suck unless you have IEM that can be worn down...

Waoww David, you don’t waste your time:beyersmile:

If I was only half as fast as you are :wink:
I am just an amateur compared to you

The Viva / Yggdrasil / Susvara combo is out of reach for me but if I ever win the lottery I’ll get them :D

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #882 of 5,715
Sure... you want my debts as well :wink: ?
I was totally crazy on this one but I couldn’t pass up on this, I have dreamt of this cable ever since I have auditioned it... I am sharing in meetups but that in Paris :p

If only all my IEMs had the same connector :-\
I tried 2 pin > MMCX adapters once, they suck unless you have IEM that can be worn down...
With the sticks that long, I wouldn't even risk wearing them, cables down or not. People might think I'm wearing them Airpods with cable strap and that's the like I will not cross. But seriously though, the VE8 is on top of my "must hear" list. Hope that one day I'll be fortunate enough to demo them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back