Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Apr 9, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #5,476 of 5,717
What a great write up. I really enjoyed reading that and agree on your thoughts about the EXT and Phonix. I also got to hear these as part of a tour, and I liked the Phonix so much that I eventually got one.
Thanks for the feedback & yes if had a bit more in the hobby $-kitty I would probably have bought them myself too,
Cheers !

Apr 19, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #5,478 of 5,717
I’ve had the pleasure and privilege to have an extended demo of Vision Ears Phonix and EXT along the Australian Tour for a few weeks recently, herewith my impressions.

First of all, many thanks to Vision Ears and Minidisc Australia for providing the gear for the tour, and of course Aussie Head-Fi Legend @Damz87 for running the tour!

I had the chance to demo both of these IEMs at Minidisc’s shop shortly after they launched in Australia, and my quick take at the time was that I was wowed by Phonix technical ability and tuning, and impressed with EXT midrange texture. So it was great to spend a few weeks with both of them to get to really know them better, and try them out with different sources and music.

Packaging, build, cables etc.
As I received these as part of a tour, I didn’t get the full unboxing experience, but you can check out photos etc. of that elsewhere. The IEMs themselves are each incredibly striking in their own distinct way, I think Vision Ears’ execution of their design is outstanding. The Phonix faceplate is a gorgeous combination of red & gold that has a glassy depth to it that catches the light in all kinds of beautiful ways, and I find blingy in a most elegant way. The EXT faceplates are made of machined aluminium finished in a royal purple, with a fine mesh underneath the faceplate that is meant to provide venting. These are both definitely the kind of physical objects that immediately grab your attention and demand you to investigate further.

IMG_2446.jpeg

I really like the case that Vision Ears includes for each of these IEMs, they are the best of any I’ve seen or used so far. The Phonix one is a clamshell style zip case made of very high-quality leather that meets the premium expectation you would have for an IEM at this price, while the EXT one is a hard metal screw case in the same striking purple finish as the IEMs themselves. Each case stores the IEMs and coiled stock cable no problem, and if you choose to use a chonky upgrade cable, that should fit easily as well. The stock cables are fine, although I find it odd that they are terminated with a 2.5mm balanced plug instead of the by-now-ubiquitous 4.4mm, or generic 3.5mm single-ended. You do get a 2.5mm-4.4mm adapter with each cable which I suspect 99% of buyers will use all of the time anyway, so why not just ship a 4.4mm cable with in the first place? That adapter just adds unnecessary bulk, and is something I know I’d be likely to lose.

Fit and ergonomics
I had no issues with fitment of EXT, although I’m aware some folks have a problem with the ‘bump’ on the back of the shell; but I actually really liked the deep, semi-custom fit. EXT nozzles are extremely wide, so I started off using Azla Sedna EarFit tips, which sounded great, but my ears got sore after an hour or so. I switched to a softer silicone wide bore tip, I think the ones that came with a Unique Melody IEM, and these were just about perfect.

Phonix fit is outstanding, I found them even more comfortable than EXT, and they are one of the most comfortable universals I’ve tried except maybe those from 64 Audio. However unlike most 64 Audio IEMs, Phonix is not vented at all, and I did notice pressure building gradually inside my ear canals which made me have to take a break. Not a significant issue really, but other manufacturers have better solutions for this to enable longer, fatigue-free listening sessions.

Both IEMs isolate fairly well, and despite EXT’s venting, I still thought it blocked outside noise about on par as most other IEMs I’ve used.

Sound Impressions
Once again, I think both of these IEMs are outstanding and mostly succeed at their respective goals as stated by Vision Ears.

I found Phonix tuning to be pretty spot-on with my preferences, it’s elevated mid bass and lower mids produce a lovely warm sort of tone that I find really intoxicating. Some may prefer IEMs that produce a little more sub-bass, but to me Phonix pretty much nails the low end perfectly. Upper midrange drops slightly, but I really like the elevation around 2-4k that I think helps to produce quite a lot of the detail Phonix is so good at. My only occasional gripe is the peak at around 8k which I found just a little over done at times depending on the source recording and/or amp. Switching from the Jotunheim2 to the Vali2+ on my desktop, or from 4.4mm balanced to 3.5mm single-ended on the HiByRS6 fixed this with a small sacrifice to dynamics.

As far as technicalities go, Phonix is among the absolute best in the game, especially for those after top-tier resolution. Staging and instrument placement is great, with good width and depth, if lacking a bit in height; all of the instruments have plenty of room to breathe. I really marvelled at all of the detail I could hear when listening to Phonix, as I find this really enhances the engagement factor; being able to hear all of that detail with such incredible clarity, allows me to get right to the heart of how a piece of music was written, performed & recorded, and ultimately makes me feel that much closer to the artist who made it.

EXT goes for a very different kind of sound, employing 2x dynamic drivers for bass and midrange, and 4x Estats for treble, versus of the 13x balanced armatures used in Phonix. The tuning here is much more about low-end weight and power, which EXT has in spades, coupled with a forward upper midrange that is probably the best I’ve ever heard. Treble, however I found somewhat recessed, and is where I have most issues with EXT, as it really diminished my perception of details. This is probably the only real deal-breaker for me with EXT; when I’m listening to tracks I know well, and have heard specific details 1000s of times with other gear, it just evaporates with this IEM. I suppose if you are after a more ‘relaxed’ sort of listen, and are not fussed about listening right into the music, EXT works quite well; I did really enjoy it in those moments with bouncier music like rap, EDM, and some indie/alternative.

Source pairings
I spent a fair bit of time going back and forth between my various desktop sources and DAPs, which included my Schiit Bifrost2 DAC paired with either the Jotunheim2 or Vali2+ amps, my HiBy RS6, Astell & Kern SR25 mk1, and the Luxury Precision P6 Pro that I also had for a time as part of another tour. I had a fairly strong preference for the BF2/Jot2 most of the time with both IEMs, especially EXT. But there were a few other interesting synergies that I found as well, and I can appreciate that other folks may prefer a different type of DAC to the Bifrost2 or RS6 depending especially for a ‘cleaner’ or ‘drier’ sort of sound.

I found Phonix to be very easy to drive well with pretty much any source, even the Apple Dongle off my phone. And because of that 2.5mm stock cable, I figured I might as well take advantage it with the SR25 mk1 that has no 4.4mm anyways. Thinking I wouldn’t tax the SR25 with anything too demanding, I queued up Florist’s 2022 self titled album…

IMG_2447.jpeg

…and I was completely blown away, and spent the next hour of a lazy Sunday afternoon on my verandah totally lost in this gorgeous music. That album was recorded live on the front porch of a house in upstate New York, and I really did feel like I was transported 1000s of KMs away to be right there with the band as they were playing it. This is what Head-Fi is all about for me, these magical listening moments, and Phonix “goes to 11” when it comes to musical engagement.

With the other DAPs, I thought both the RS6 and P6 Pro R2R DACs worked great with the all-BA Phonix, although I did have a preference for the warmer and more immersive RS6. For the absolute ultimate in clarity and detail you may prefer the P6 Pro, but that DAP made me feel like I was looking at an image of the music, whereas the RS6 puts me IN the music.

Moving on the the EXT, I did try it with the SR25 with low expectations, and, well they were met at that low level. It just OK, but without enough juice to drive EXT’s DDs, the stage collapsed in height and depth for a rather underwhelming listen. Both the RS6 and P6 Pro corrected this and were quite a lot of fun. It was pretty hard for me to split these two DAPs, but I’d probably choose the P6 Pro for it’s it’s ability to tighten up the bass, and it’s slight improvement to detail retrieval vs the RS6. But it was the Bifrost2/Jotunheim2 desktop rig that really got the best out of EXT for me. The 6W into 32ohms available from the Jot2 really gets EXT’s DDs moving air nicely, with a huge improvement in stage depth and dynamics.

A few Comparisons
-Phonix vs Campfire Andromeda 2020. Maybe not a fair fight on the surface, as Phonix detail retrieval is definitely better, but Andro2020 is surprisingly not so far behind. Phonix timbre is where it really sets itself apart, I heard it to be much more natural than Andromeda, which sounds a bit glassy or ‘etched’ by comparison. Stage, and instrument placement/separation of them both are great, and I found both deliver a really immersive 3D experience, especially with the RS6 & Bifrost2/Jotenheim2. Tuning-wise Phonix sub-bass digs a bit deeper, but both IEMs have that forward midbass/ lower midrange that really works well for me. There’s no question Phonix is the better IEM, but this comparison shows just how well Andro2020 can punch above it’s weight.

-Phonix vs 64 Audio A12t. The first thing I notice between these two is the significant improvement in sub-bass extension A12t has and it’s much more polite treble. On the flip side, Phonix elevated treble pushes it ahead of A12t on detail retrieval, but the A12t is not all that far behind. A12t has Phonix covered for staging, it feels like it spreads out a bit larger, especially in height, and feels like a perfect sphere around my head with instruments and vocals positioned perfectly in space. It’s really hard to say which of these 2 is ‘better’, as they are more differences than similarities between them, and it’s more what specific tuning you like. I like both fwiw, and I find both of them highly engaging in different ways. On the ergonomic side of things, Phonix has no venting to relieve ear-canal pressure, and while it is fine for 90 minutes or so, I can listen to A12t or any other 64 Audio IEM that uses APEX modules for many long hours at a time.

-Phonix vs EXT. About the only reason I think you’d choose EXT is if you just really really need to have dynamic drivers handling the bass and midrange. EXT is more thumpy in the low end to be sure, but beyond than that I think Phonix is better in every other way, especially its treble, detail retrieval, and its deeper soundstage. “In spite of” being all-BA, I believe Phonix still has outstanding timbre by comparison to EXT, and it’s this type of comparison that shows just how good timbre can from an all-BA IEM. I kind of knew this already having owned A12t for about 12 months, but Phonix is likewise outstanding here.

-EXT vs Fir Xe6. EXT is totally outmatched in this comparison, especially in detail retrieval. When I A/B’ed from Xe6 to EXT it felt like all the life got sucked out of my music, and felt a bit like a TV going form 4k to 480p. Tuning-wise, you do get a sense of more sub-bass extension with EXT, but it’s the incredible midbass and lower midrange warmth of Xe6, it’s kinetic bass system, and the aforementioned detail retrieval that makes it a far more engaging listen to my ears. Yes, Xe6 is nearly $1k more expensive, but you get your money’s worth for the engagement factor imho.

-EXT vs Sony IER-Z1R. I’m going by memory of my now departed Z1R, but this is a matter of whether you want EXT’s forward midrange presence, vs the treble extension and better detail resolution of Z1R. Z1R midrange is fine, but EXT is ahead, especially for vocals I believe. They are both a lot of fun to listen to, and while both extend deep into sub-bass, Z1R pulls comfortably ahead, and has a much grander sense of sound stage as a result giving it that huge hall-like listening experience.

In conclusion, Phonix absolutely deserves a place at or near the very top of any shortlist of the absolute best IEMs on the market (it’s definitely on mine!!), especially if technical performance and detail retrieval are important. EXT is a bit harder to recommend I feel, as I think there are better choices at our around its price point, and even for less. It’s a little while since I’ve heard the FiR Kr5 or Ne4, but I have fond memories of them both, especially for that fun/engagement factor. And of course there is the venerable IER-Z1R.

Apr 20, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #5,482 of 5,717
I’ve had the pleasure and privilege to have an extended demo of Vision Ears Phonix and EXT along the Australian Tour for a few weeks recently, herewith my impressions.

First of all, many thanks to Vision Ears and Minidisc Australia for providing the gear for the tour, and of course Aussie Head-Fi Legend @Damz87 for running the tour!

I had the chance to demo both of these IEMs at Minidisc’s shop shortly after they launched in Australia, and my quick take at the time was that I was wowed by Phonix technical ability and tuning, and impressed with EXT midrange texture. So it was great to spend a few weeks with both of them to get to really know them better, and try them out with different sources and music.

Packaging, build, cables etc.
As I received these as part of a tour, I didn’t get the full unboxing experience, but you can check out photos etc. of that elsewhere. The IEMs themselves are each incredibly striking in their own distinct way, I think Vision Ears’ execution of their design is outstanding. The Phonix faceplate is a gorgeous combination of red & gold that has a glassy depth to it that catches the light in all kinds of beautiful ways, and I find blingy in a most elegant way. The EXT faceplates are made of machined aluminium finished in a royal purple, with a fine mesh underneath the faceplate that is meant to provide venting. These are both definitely the kind of physical objects that immediately grab your attention and demand you to investigate further.

IMG_2446.jpeg

I really like the case that Vision Ears includes for each of these IEMs, they are the best of any I’ve seen or used so far. The Phonix one is a clamshell style zip case made of very high-quality leather that meets the premium expectation you would have for an IEM at this price, while the EXT one is a hard metal screw case in the same striking purple finish as the IEMs themselves. Each case stores the IEMs and coiled stock cable no problem, and if you choose to use a chonky upgrade cable, that should fit easily as well. The stock cables are fine, although I find it odd that they are terminated with a 2.5mm balanced plug instead of the by-now-ubiquitous 4.4mm, or generic 3.5mm single-ended. You do get a 2.5mm-4.4mm adapter with each cable which I suspect 99% of buyers will use all of the time anyway, so why not just ship a 4.4mm cable with in the first place? That adapter just adds unnecessary bulk, and is something I know I’d be likely to lose.

Fit and ergonomics
I had no issues with fitment of EXT, although I’m aware some folks have a problem with the ‘bump’ on the back of the shell; but I actually really liked the deep, semi-custom fit. EXT nozzles are extremely wide, so I started off using Azla Sedna EarFit tips, which sounded great, but my ears got sore after an hour or so. I switched to a softer silicone wide bore tip, I think the ones that came with a Unique Melody IEM, and these were just about perfect.

Phonix fit is outstanding, I found them even more comfortable than EXT, and they are one of the most comfortable universals I’ve tried except maybe those from 64 Audio. However unlike most 64 Audio IEMs, Phonix is not vented at all, and I did notice pressure building gradually inside my ear canals which made me have to take a break. Not a significant issue really, but other manufacturers have better solutions for this to enable longer, fatigue-free listening sessions.

Both IEMs isolate fairly well, and despite EXT’s venting, I still thought it blocked outside noise about on par as most other IEMs I’ve used.

Sound Impressions
Once again, I think both of these IEMs are outstanding and mostly succeed at their respective goals as stated by Vision Ears.

I found Phonix tuning to be pretty spot-on with my preferences, it’s elevated mid bass and lower mids produce a lovely warm sort of tone that I find really intoxicating. Some may prefer IEMs that produce a little more sub-bass, but to me Phonix pretty much nails the low end perfectly. Upper midrange drops slightly, but I really like the elevation around 2-4k that I think helps to produce quite a lot of the detail Phonix is so good at. My only occasional gripe is the peak at around 8k which I found just a little over done at times depending on the source recording and/or amp. Switching from the Jotunheim2 to the Vali2+ on my desktop, or from 4.4mm balanced to 3.5mm single-ended on the HiByRS6 fixed this with a small sacrifice to dynamics.

As far as technicalities go, Phonix is among the absolute best in the game, especially for those after top-tier resolution. Staging and instrument placement is great, with good width and depth, if lacking a bit in height; all of the instruments have plenty of room to breathe. I really marvelled at all of the detail I could hear when listening to Phonix, as I find this really enhances the engagement factor; being able to hear all of that detail with such incredible clarity, allows me to get right to the heart of how a piece of music was written, performed & recorded, and ultimately makes me feel that much closer to the artist who made it.

EXT goes for a very different kind of sound, employing 2x dynamic drivers for bass and midrange, and 4x Estats for treble, versus of the 13x balanced armatures used in Phonix. The tuning here is much more about low-end weight and power, which EXT has in spades, coupled with a forward upper midrange that is probably the best I’ve ever heard. Treble, however I found somewhat recessed, and is where I have most issues with EXT, as it really diminished my perception of details. This is probably the only real deal-breaker for me with EXT; when I’m listening to tracks I know well, and have heard specific details 1000s of times with other gear, it just evaporates with this IEM. I suppose if you are after a more ‘relaxed’ sort of listen, and are not fussed about listening right into the music, EXT works quite well; I did really enjoy it in those moments with bouncier music like rap, EDM, and some indie/alternative.

Source pairings
I spent a fair bit of time going back and forth between my various desktop sources and DAPs, which included my Schiit Bifrost2 DAC paired with either the Jotunheim2 or Vali2+ amps, my HiBy RS6, Astell & Kern SR25 mk1, and the Luxury Precision P6 Pro that I also had for a time as part of another tour. I had a fairly strong preference for the BF2/Jot2 most of the time with both IEMs, especially EXT. But there were a few other interesting synergies that I found as well, and I can appreciate that other folks may prefer a different type of DAC to the Bifrost2 or RS6 depending especially for a ‘cleaner’ or ‘drier’ sort of sound.

I found Phonix to be very easy to drive well with pretty much any source, even the Apple Dongle off my phone. And because of that 2.5mm stock cable, I figured I might as well take advantage it with the SR25 mk1 that has no 4.4mm anyways. Thinking I wouldn’t tax the SR25 with anything too demanding, I queued up Florist’s 2022 self titled album…

IMG_2447.jpeg

…and I was completely blown away, and spent the next hour of a lazy Sunday afternoon on my verandah totally lost in this gorgeous music. That album was recorded live on the front porch of a house in upstate New York, and I really did feel like I was transported 1000s of KMs away to be right there with the band as they were playing it. This is what Head-Fi is all about for me, these magical listening moments, and Phonix “goes to 11” when it comes to musical engagement.

With the other DAPs, I thought both the RS6 and P6 Pro R2R DACs worked great with the all-BA Phonix, although I did have a preference for the warmer and more immersive RS6. For the absolute ultimate in clarity and detail you may prefer the P6 Pro, but that DAP made me feel like I was looking at an image of the music, whereas the RS6 puts me IN the music.

Moving on the the EXT, I did try it with the SR25 with low expectations, and, well they were met at that low level. It just OK, but without enough juice to drive EXT’s DDs, the stage collapsed in height and depth for a rather underwhelming listen. Both the RS6 and P6 Pro corrected this and were quite a lot of fun. It was pretty hard for me to split these two DAPs, but I’d probably choose the P6 Pro for it’s it’s ability to tighten up the bass, and it’s slight improvement to detail retrieval vs the RS6. But it was the Bifrost2/Jotunheim2 desktop rig that really got the best out of EXT for me. The 6W into 32ohms available from the Jot2 really gets EXT’s DDs moving air nicely, with a huge improvement in stage depth and dynamics.

A few Comparisons
-Phonix vs Campfire Andromeda 2020. Maybe not a fair fight on the surface, as Phonix detail retrieval is definitely better, but Andro2020 is surprisingly not so far behind. Phonix timbre is where it really sets itself apart, I heard it to be much more natural than Andromeda, which sounds a bit glassy or ‘etched’ by comparison. Stage, and instrument placement/separation of them both are great, and I found both deliver a really immersive 3D experience, especially with the RS6 & Bifrost2/Jotenheim2. Tuning-wise Phonix sub-bass digs a bit deeper, but both IEMs have that forward midbass/ lower midrange that really works well for me. There’s no question Phonix is the better IEM, but this comparison shows just how well Andro2020 can punch above it’s weight.

-Phonix vs 64 Audio A12t. The first thing I notice between these two is the significant improvement in sub-bass extension A12t has and it’s much more polite treble. On the flip side, Phonix elevated treble pushes it ahead of A12t on detail retrieval, but the A12t is not all that far behind. A12t has Phonix covered for staging, it feels like it spreads out a bit larger, especially in height, and feels like a perfect sphere around my head with instruments and vocals positioned perfectly in space. It’s really hard to say which of these 2 is ‘better’, as they are more differences than similarities between them, and it’s more what specific tuning you like. I like both fwiw, and I find both of them highly engaging in different ways. On the ergonomic side of things, Phonix has no venting to relieve ear-canal pressure, and while it is fine for 90 minutes or so, I can listen to A12t or any other 64 Audio IEM that uses APEX modules for many long hours at a time.

-Phonix vs EXT. About the only reason I think you’d choose EXT is if you just really really need to have dynamic drivers handling the bass and midrange. EXT is more thumpy in the low end to be sure, but beyond than that I think Phonix is better in every other way, especially its treble, detail retrieval, and its deeper soundstage. “In spite of” being all-BA, I believe Phonix still has outstanding timbre by comparison to EXT, and it’s this type of comparison that shows just how good timbre can from an all-BA IEM. I kind of knew this already having owned A12t for about 12 months, but Phonix is likewise outstanding here.

-EXT vs Fir Xe6. EXT is totally outmatched in this comparison, especially in detail retrieval. When I A/B’ed from Xe6 to EXT it felt like all the life got sucked out of my music, and felt a bit like a TV going form 4k to 480p. Tuning-wise, you do get a sense of more sub-bass extension with EXT, but it’s the incredible midbass and lower midrange warmth of Xe6, it’s kinetic bass system, and the aforementioned detail retrieval that makes it a far more engaging listen to my ears. Yes, Xe6 is nearly $1k more expensive, but you get your money’s worth for the engagement factor imho.

-EXT vs Sony IER-Z1R. I’m going by memory of my now departed Z1R, but this is a matter of whether you want EXT’s forward midrange presence, vs the treble extension and better detail resolution of Z1R. Z1R midrange is fine, but EXT is ahead, especially for vocals I believe. They are both a lot of fun to listen to, and while both extend deep into sub-bass, Z1R pulls comfortably ahead, and has a much grander sense of sound stage as a result giving it that huge hall-like listening experience.

In conclusion, Phonix absolutely deserves a place at or near the very top of any shortlist of the absolute best IEMs on the market (it’s definitely on mine!!), especially if technical performance and detail retrieval are important. EXT is a bit harder to recommend I feel, as I think there are better choices at our around its price point, and even for less. It’s a little while since I’ve heard the FiR Kr5 or Ne4, but I have fond memories of them both, especially for that fun/engagement factor. And of course there is the venerable IER-Z1R.
An enjoyable read. It was interesting to see what you thought about each IEM.

Apr 23, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #5,483 of 5,717
Cross posting:

Evening Skrillex "RATATA"ing with VE EXT and trying out RS8's Darwin Controller customized IEM presets. Haven't been able to discern differences with/out but RS8 bringing back that luvin' feeling, mmm dah bass and sub bass textures :yum:

IMG_1279.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #5,484 of 5,717
Hi all, please see below my impressions of the Vision Ears EXT and Phonix. I was loaned these as part of the Australian tour, organised by the awesome @Damz87, the amazing Australian Audiophile Store ‘Minidisc’, and the generous Vision Ears in return for my honest impressions. Massive thank you for the opportunity and hope my impressions help someone out!

IMG_6697.jpg

Introduction:

It’s always an exciting time for me getting to review some equipment, I still only get enough equipment through that it’s still firmly in the hobby space and I love the fact that I might be able to help someone on their audio journey. I knew the Vision Ears name from head-fi but wasn’t sure what they were all about. I read up on the two products to try and understand what they were going for:

EXT: Based on the idea of the ELYSIUM to create an electrifying detailed but also warm and embracing sound, we wanted to explore what is possible. We wanted more. More lows that make you feel the rumble. More mids that vividly embrace you. And more highs to bring an airy and elated experience. The feeling of an electrostatic headphone is unparalleled and hard to achieve with a small earphone. The EXT will prove it wrong. An easy lightness surrounds this creation, airy, silk-like notes gather around your head, musical areas you never recognized will unfold before your closed eyes, a truly electrifying experience.

Phonix: The legendary ERLKöNIG left the stage a while ago. Many praised the outstanding sound and imaging of this exceptional product. We gained massively positive feedback, nevertheless the weight of the shell and the price was always a negative factor for some. Based on this we developed a new shell design and at the same time we improved the driver configuration of the ERLKöNIG engine. The PHöNIX is not just an elegantly new garment for the ERLKöNIG - it’s a transformation. We improved the sound especially in the high frequencies for a more openness and airy experience. Changes were done cautiously, well aware of the heritage it has become.

Did they achieve their goals? I don’t have experience with the two base IEM’s they reference however from their explanations of the sound I think they generally did. Recommendations are a little more tricky, and I’ll get to that, but a good start.

Packaging:

Both were sent in non-retail packaging so I can’t comment on that unboxing experience, however what was included in the tour kit was top notch. The EXT has a screw top round metal box which matched the look of the IEM’s, the Phonix has a lovely leather case. Both included a split leather pouch to store the IEM’s (what a wonderful idea!), and both had a 2 pin to 2.5mm balanced cable with 4.4mm adapter. Strange choice in terminating in 2.5mm but the included adapter solved any compatibility concerns (apart from my Mojo 2 which does not have balanced). Included tips were Spinfit which I used for my audition.

Testing:

Primary driver was the Fiio Q7 from my iPhone using Tidal. L power setting was used for Phonix (on around 40... they do not need a lot of power), L and M were used for the EXT. L was sufficient from a volume point of view but M helped the bass. Music was a wide variety from classical, to classic rock, to Industrial Metal, to EDM.

EXT:

I started with the EXT and spent a good week with this as my daily driver. While the look of the IEM was fantastic, my fitting experience was not so great. I use M to L tips with most IEMS so I went with M on these to start with. These have an oval nozzle, extend quite deep into your ear canal, and almost feel like a CIEM. Using the M tips I had crazy pressure in my ear, I then tried some of my own M tips, with the same outcome. I finally tried the included S tips which worked for me, but they never felt 100% in my ears. By the end of the week I was used to them but returning to them a week later for the final review, after spending the second week with the Phonix, these could never be for me on fit alone. Now all ears are different, so I’m sure many people won’t have this issue, but I think it’s worth calling out.

With fit out of the way, what about sound?

The first thing I noticed, and was continually referenced in my notes, was the bass. It has a lovely rumble down low (I’m sure in part due to the fit), though the main star is the mid-bass. Beautifully textured and very natural sounding to my ears. They need a little bit of power to sound their best and I settled on the M power setting on my Fiio Q7 to get them where I was happy.

Lower mids I found to be wonderful, with male vocals sounding great although not quite as full as some other equipment does (not a negative, just different). Upper mids are fine, although sit back a little in the mix and female vocalists with a higher pitch did end up a little further back than I would generally like. Instruments generally sounded near spot on, and besides the bass, was my second standout from my time with these. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to classical and instrumental tracks on these.

Treble was where I struggled with these the most, while I generally found the presentation great, with a lot of air and a wonderful black background to present to music on, I found them to be sibilant on some tracks. It’s probably more a case that those tracks should be sibilant, but when comparing to other IEM’s that aren’t so sibilant, I need to call it out. Aside from the fit I think the treble would be the make it ort break it for most people.

Soundstage and imaging were OK, but for the price point I was expecting a little more. Sound is very much contained within your head, and it uses that space well, but you don’t get the extension outside which I expected.

Overall, I found the EXT’s to be a great IEM. Very musical, with a good balanced sound that can become a little aggressive on certain tracks, but I struggle to recommend it for the price when comparing against my preferences. It’ll absolutely suit some individuals as their primary IEM, and to be honest if I had to only have one IEM this could be it (although that should be true of allTOTL IEM’s), I just think you’d want to audition a few IEM’s around this price point to be sure it ticks all your boxes. If it were 25-30% cheaper it’d be an easy recommendation (with maybe a note to compare it against the IER-Z1R), but at its current price you have some really fierce competition where it’ll sometimes win and sometimes lose for an individual.

Phonix:

The pairing of the EXT with the Phonix in a tour is an interesting one, they are two very different IEM’s!

Fitting was much easier than the EXT, the shell is much more conventional and with M tips I had a perfect fit within seconds.
So, straight into sound, what a smooth IEM!

Bass, often an issue for an all BA IEM, sounded great. Being extremely nitpicky, you don’t quite have the physical feel of a DD, but unless you’re really looking for it it’s easily forgotten. What you do get in return is excellent bass texture, speed and detail. It’s not the key selling point of the Phonix, and is more of a traditional bass presentation, but it works so well with what the Phonix does that I think the way it’s presented here couldn’t be done any better for this package.

Mids are near perfection as a presentation of music. It doesn’t give me the natural feel that I get from say my FIR Audio Kr5, but it does give me a near perfect screening of it. I found with the Phonix I get lost just listening to music, but I know that I’m listening to recorded music. With the Kr5 I get lost in the music, which makes me forget I’m listening to recorded music. Neither one is better than the other, it’s just two sides of a coin. Other than distinction, I have nothing more to say other than I think it’s easily one of the best mid range presentations I’ve ever heard.

Treble is a similar story, near perfection. It has an overall smoothness that makes listening a pure joy. It’s not super detailed (in your face), but the details are there if you pay attention.

Soundstage is not ultra-wide but again I’d say it’s right for the sound they are going for. I never wanted anything more than what it was delivering.

Overall I absolutely loved the Phonix and want to add it to my collection when I’ve saved up some $$’s! It has a liquid smoothness that made listening to anything and everything an absolute pleasure and was different enough from my Kr5 that I can see a reason to own both. It’s an IEM I’d be proud to own, for its looks and musicality, it offers a laidback listening experience which is perfect for anytime.

Between the two I had a clear favourite in the Phonix, for others the EXT may come out on top if they're after a more energetic experience. Either way, I think Vision Ears reached their stated goals on both and anyone would be lucky to have either of them in their collection. I hope to add the Phonix to mine sometime this year.

May 12, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #5,486 of 5,717
IMG_0261.jpeg

Anyone has a lead on this?
It’s from vision ears ig, reposting:

The master collaboration is here - AURA made in Germany. We’re so happy we could work with all the great people within this project. Here is the result, a piece of art in all its beauty.

May 12, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #5,487 of 5,717
IMG_0261.jpeg

Anyone has a lead on this?
It’s from vision ears ig, reposting:

The master collaboration is here - AURA made in Germany. We’re so happy we could work with all the great people within this project. Here is the result, a piece of art in all its beauty.
No but if it sounds as good as it looks I’m in 👍😊

May 12, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #5,488 of 5,717
May 13, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #5,489 of 5,717
AURA - interesting, a collaboration with A&K and VE. Priced at $4200. I like the fact it has 2 DD drivers amongst the 11 drivers it has.

I’m hoping that this will be at Canjam London in August so that I can have a listen.

May 13, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #5,490 of 5,717
AURA - interesting, a collaboration with A&K and VE. Priced at $4200. I like the fact it has 2 DD drivers amongst the 11 drivers it has.

I’m hoping that this will be at Canjam London in August so that I can have a listen.

Would love to hear your impressions of AURA, if its shown at CanJam London. I've sights on EE Raven but AURA is in contention given VE's collaboration and tuning expertise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back