Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Nov 8, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #3,541 of 5,715
Do you encounter any such issues with EVO? And @Deezel177 how's EXT's timbral accuracy and timbre in general?
No, I don't. That's why EVO is my new number 1 IEM and Odin is only number 3. Traillii is number 2.

Nov 8, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #3,542 of 5,715
I can't deal with anything sounding 'off' in an IEM. It can have the best bass in the world, but if the mids are glassy, out. If the treble is sibilant, out. If the vocals are shouty (and it's not in the recording), out.

I can justify a TOTL IEM having a certain flavour or colour, and even enjoy things about it that many others don't, but if I find it more than rarely takes me out of the music for any reason, be a technical flaw or tonality issue, it won't last long in my collection, which is probably why I don't have a collection.

Problem is I'm constantly listening out for flaws, especially when I'm reviewing (which nowadays is more often than I'm not), so ALL my IEMs are on notice. It's another reason I want to get an ear on the EXT as soon as possible.
I hear what you are saying, but in the case of Ely it's not like it has a glaring issue. I can enjoy just about anything on it. And if hadn't other IEMs to compare, I probably wouldn’t feel that I'm missing anything.

Nov 8, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #3,543 of 5,715
I know exactly what you mean by plasticky midbass, I get that with Elysium here and there. But the rest is fantastic. EXT sounds very intriguing indeed.
I detest plasticky sound. I tend to get that with bluetooth and bad sources. If it is present in an IEM, that is a showstopper for me.

Nov 8, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #3,544 of 5,715
No, I don't. That's why EVO is my new number 1 IEM and Odin is only number 3. Traillii is number 2.
Today our stars have aligned 😁
I hear what you are saying, but in the case of Ely it's not like it has a glaring issue. I can enjoy just about anything on it. And if hadn't other IEMs to compare, I probably wouldn’t feel that I'm missing anything.
Most of my days are currently spent comparing. I'm at my happiest (and most settled) when I'm not.

Nov 8, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #3,545 of 5,715

Most of my days are currently spent comparing. I'm at my happiest (and most settled) when I'm not.
I know what you mean. It's like the forest and the trees. When I listen to music for enjoyment and not analyzing it, I am focused on the big picture. The forest if you will. Do I like the sound in general. When I start A/B testing, I am looking at micro detail and missing the big picture by focusing on the trees.

Nov 8, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #3,546 of 5,715
I know what you mean. It's like the forest and the trees. When I listen to music for enjoyment and not analyzing it, I am focused on the big picture. The forest if you will. Do I like the sound in general. When I start A/B testing, I am looking at micro detail and missing the big picture by focusing on the trees.
And one bad leaf on a tree can ruin the whole aura of an IEM.

Nov 8, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #3,547 of 5,715

That's one of the drawbacks of owning multiple IEMs. I listen to a song with an IEM,
It sounds amazing then I wonder what it sounds with this or that. Just can't stick to one and get lost in the music.

Nov 8, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #3,548 of 5,715
Do you encounter any such issues with EVO? And @Deezel177 how's EXT's timbral accuracy and timbre in general?
The EXT's timbral accuracy from a textural POV is superb; it nails the physicality and delivery of instruments to a T, as I said a few days ago. They simply slam and breathe in a way that feels realistic. Tonally, it's definitely got colour to it. It leans towards dynamism and punch, as well as low-end elevation. It doesn't have the level-headedness the PHoNIX has. But, overall, I wouldn't say it's coloured egregiously at all. It's less coloured to me than, say, the Fourté or the ODIN. I hear slight shades of the U12t and LX in it, actually. But, as always, YMMV.

Sadly, this is where the Odin fails for me. I haven't found a way to completely get rid of it. The tragedy is that it is so perfect for so many tracks that when I encounter this brightness, it's very disappointing. This is a far bigger problem I have with the Odin than its upper mid boost.
I had an EQ preset for the ODIN on my LPGT, which basically cuts 3kHz and 5kHz a tad, along with an optional 100Hz boost. Obviously, I didn't use it for the review, but it definitely pushed it far closer towards my definition of balanced.

Nov 8, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #3,549 of 5,715
That's one of the drawbacks of owning multiple IEMs. I listen to a song with an IEM,
It sounds amazing then I wonder what it sounds with this or that. Just can't stick to one and get lost in the music.
Which is why I generally have only one IEM per 'use case' - casual listening, dedicated listening, wireless/travel. I try not to keep any IEMs that rival each other for ear time in any given scenario, though I'm not the type of person who craves variety or gets bored easily. If it sounds good, it's good, I don't need it to be different.

If I hear an IEM that betters one of mine for what I use it for, out with the old, in with the new. It's not even a debate. Bring on the EXT and let's see what it's got.

Nov 8, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #3,550 of 5,715
The EXT's timbral accuracy from a textural POV is superb; it nails the physicality and delivery of instruments to a T, as I said a few days ago. They simply slam and breathe in a way that feels realistic. Tonally, it's definitely got colour to it. It leans towards dynamism and punch, as well as low-end elevation. It doesn't have the level-headedness the PHoNIX has. But, overall, I wouldn't say it's coloured egregiously at all. It's less coloured to me than, say, the Fourté or the ODIN. I hear slight shades of the U12t and LX in it, actually. But, as always, YMMV.

I had an EQ preset for the ODIN on my LPGT, which basically cuts 3kHz and 5kHz a tad, along with an optional 100Hz boost. Obviously, I didn't use it for the review, but it definitely pushed it far closer towards my definition of balanced.
The potential for timbral accuracy with well extended and textured DD bass is the reason I am excited about EXT.

Can you share with me your EQ presets for Odin? I really haven't tried to EQ Odin.

Nov 8, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #3,551 of 5,715
Which is why I generally have only one IEM per 'use case' - casual listening, dedicated listening, wireless/travel. I try not to keep any IEMs that rival each other for ear time in any given scenario, though I'm not the type of person who craves variety or gets bored easily. If it sounds good, it's good, I don't need it to be different.

If I hear an IEM that betters one of mine for what I use it for, out with the old, in with the new. It's not even a debate. Bring on the EXT and let's see what it's got.
That's the smart way to do it IMO, in more ways than one.

Nov 8, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #3,552 of 5,715
The potential for timbral accuracy with well extended and textured DD bass is the reason I am excited about EXT.

Can you share with me your EQ presets for Odin? I really haven't tried to EQ Odin.
This is what it looks like. Apologies for the photo:

FD949FC1-1BB3-4CE7-B531-37A5D88043E9.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back