Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Oct 9, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #3,076 of 5,715
I'm listen now, OMG, these are incredible, they've played straight through a couple days, and if there ever was an example of reaching perfection by different routes, it's the EXT and EVO. Both are so very good, but quite different, I'll be shedding big tears when I have to send the EXT out to the US AudioTiers members for tour! The stages supper wide, deep, with images laid out in space quite precisely. Tone and timbres are phenomenal, PRaT, smooth and clear from deep bass through high treble.

In my FanBoi emails to Marcel from Vison Ears begged for him to add a powerful DD bass driver to be with the best midrange in the business, and he exceeded my expectations, by a long shot. These are incredibly great IEMs, between the EXT and EVO, I easily could sell all of my other IEMs, and headphones, and call it a year! They both are giant leaps ahead of the Thummim, Odin, Sultan, and yes the Elysium, and while I haven't heard the Bird, I doubt they are 50% better (if at all)!
is it smaller than the EVO ?

Oct 9, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #3,077 of 5,715
is it smaller than the EVO ?

Actual fit will likely depend a lot on ear anatomy and insertion depth.

Physically though I believe it is quite a lot smaller. Here are some photos from earlier in the thread I believe. EE Wraith far right, EXT middle and a 64 Audio on the left. And I believe EVO is about Wraith sizing?

B1F318E6-255F-4A0F-B9C5-14818EBBEA19.jpeg46169E66-AAEB-4A9A-A12A-3DAF66FCE209.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #3,081 of 5,715
Any update for Phonix? T-T

Oct 9, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #3,082 of 5,715
Everyone is have supply issues, it's on random components so several new product launches have faced delays.
Have purchased several wires lately that were not cheap. (Effect Leo 2, PWA 50s, Loki 8 wire, Eltec Illiad, Satin Athena and two Satin Zeus. So I am wired up for the rest of the year. Have purchased VE V8, RSV Soft Ears, 7HZ Timeless and Kato. I should be good to end of this year, Am waiting on new M9 release. VE EXT is first months of 2022 purchase after digging out of IEM debt. My New Years resolution I hope.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #3,083 of 5,715
Well, I have finally found the best cable for my V8. After trying everything from ElTec Illiad and Socrates to PWA 50s, I tried one of my Satin Audio Zeus. This morning I have been listening to everything from Daft Punk to Delbert McClinton. Even when you turn the volume down, its still so much better balanced and resolving than anything I have ever heard in an IEM. I would like to say that with the Shanling M8, its an end game combo. If there were no EXT, I would be perfectly happy.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #3,084 of 5,715
I'm working on my EXT review now, but feel free to ask questions if you want to see it included in the review - happy to preview answers to make it interesting. Working on scaling up and down from the iPhone 11 up to the Hugo2 and my Burson C3R desktop and it sounds wonderful across all sources. Comparing of course to my custom ELY as well as my Thummin and M5. I chose these comparables as they are similar in signature, but have others I can add if desired. Yes, the EXT stands well with the Thummin and M5 and the exercise reignited my love for my custom ELY and its out of the world mids and texturing. I have not ventured into new cables yet, but plan on playing with my PWA 1950, Socrates, Illiad, and some others. Any requests? - Bill

Oct 9, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #3,085 of 5,715
I'm working on my EXT review now, but feel free to ask questions if you want to see it included in the review - happy to preview answers to make it interesting. Working on scaling up and down from the iPhone 11 up to the Hugo2 and my Burson C3R desktop and it sounds wonderful across all sources. Comparing of course to my custom ELY as well as my Thummin and M5. I chose these comparables as they are similar in signature, but have others I can add if desired. Yes, the EXT stands well with the Thummin and M5 and the exercise reignited my love for my custom ELY and its out of the world mids and texturing. I have not ventured into new cables yet, but plan on playing with my PWA 1950, Socrates, Illiad, and some others. Any requests? - Bill
Thank you, does the EXT preserve the tonality(mids especially) and magical timbre of Elysium?

Oct 9, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #3,086 of 5,715
How does the EXT perform with the Hugo 2 and are you noticing significant benefits of scaling up? Have you tried it with any DAP's yet?

Oct 9, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #3,087 of 5,715
I'm listen now, OMG, these are incredible, they've played straight through a couple days, and if there ever was an example of reaching perfection by different routes, it's the EXT and EVO. Both are so very good, but quite different, I'll be shedding big tears when I have to send the EXT out to the US AudioTiers members for tour! The stages supper wide, deep, with images laid out in space quite precisely. Tone and timbres are phenomenal, PRaT, smooth and clear from deep bass through high treble.

In my FanBoi emails to Marcel from Vison Ears begged for him to add a powerful DD bass driver to be with the best midrange in the business, and he exceeded my expectations, by a long shot. These are incredibly great IEMs, between the EXT and EVO, I easily could sell all of my other IEMs, and headphones, and call it a year! They both are giant leaps ahead of the Thummim, Odin, Sultan, and yes the Elysium, and while I haven't heard the Bird, I doubt they are 50% better (if at all)!
Wow high praise indeed . You have my full attention :L3000:

Oct 9, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #3,088 of 5,715
I was able to hit the purchase button but I have some reservations now. I sold the Thummim because I found it a little too bright at times (just my personal preference, it is a good IEM). I’ve not heard the M5 and Ely. So I’m hoping EXT’s mids and treble are comparatively speaking, not too elevated. Would you be able to pair it with PlusSound’s PPH8 or copper+? Thank you in advance! :wink:

Oct 9, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #3,089 of 5,715

I’m getting quite excited for the EXT. I’ve had the Thummim on tour and I owned the Odin, and so to hear you say it’s leaps ahead of them both is quite something. Hopefully I’m on the UK tour and if so I’ll be looking forward to comparing the EXT against the IEMs I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back