Violectric V222 and V202
Aug 28, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #736 of 1,736
No, I'm using the Sony TA-ZH1ES, or Tazzy as it's sometimes affectionately called.

I have the Modius hooked up to the Cavalli LCX.
Ah OK, thanks. I was curious as I have my Modius with the Lokius tone controls going to speakers. Been thinking about running that combo through the V222 and see how it sounds with HPs.
The Sony Tazzy does seem like an interesting hybrid DAC Amp.

Aug 28, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #737 of 1,736
Ah OK, thanks. I was curious as I have my Modius with the Lokius tone controls going to speakers. Been thinking about running that combo through the V222 and see how it sounds with HPs.
The Sony Tazzy does seem like an interesting hybrid DAC Amp.
I got very interested in the Sony at one point--until I realized every input, including the RCA inputs, is digitized by this device. I wanted to try it as an amp-only, but its design makes that impossible...

Sep 5, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #739 of 1,736
Hi all.

I've been reading this thread with interest. I currently have the Focal Stellia with Utopia 22 on the way. Previously had a SMSL dac/amp and currently have the Fiio R7. I'm looking for something different for my amp. I would still connect the R7 (ESS Sabre) with whatever amp I decide on.

I guess I'm looking for a more "euphonic" sound rather than the clean, analytical THX amps on the R7. Hence I'm looking at the Violectric. I have no experience with tube amps. I'm also keen for any amp not to detract from the Utopia's strengths.

Will I be better off with the 202 as both headphones are easy to drive?
Do amps really make a difference compared to the recording/mastering?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 6, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #740 of 1,736
Things that affect sound from most to last IMHO:
Headphones, source (playback device + recoding quality), Amp, Dac, cables.

Amps do make a difference, but the difference is small in good gear, especially in fast A/B comparisons.
So if you switch from fiio to vio, the difference will be small.
Now that being said, I do recommend violectric amp as as it does indeed have a bit more warmer sound than your typical solid amps.

Sep 6, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #741 of 1,736
Is there a difference in sonics between SE and XLR inputs for the 222?

Since the unit appears to convert all inputs to SE while the signal goes through the volume pot, I wonder if that extra stage brings a change in sound...
No if you consider the input exclusively. I wanted to test some very short RCAs (less than 20 cm, that I made to connect a Qutest) against Vovox Sonorus S100, and used the single-ended and balanced outputs of a Yggdrasil and couldn't hear any difference when adjusted for volume. May be better to do the conversion to single-ended inside the V222 if the DAC has better balanced outputs than single-ended or when running longer cable lengths.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #742 of 1,736
Things that affect sound from most to last IMHO:
Headphones, source (playback device + recoding quality), Amp, Dac, cables.

Amps do make a difference, but the difference is small in good gear, especially in fast A/B comparisons.
So if you switch from fiio to vio, the difference will be small.
Now that being said, I do recommend violectric amp as as it does indeed have a bit more warmer sound than your typical solid amps.
I thought as much! £1045 for a bit warmer sound. Rabbit hole stuff!

Sep 6, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #743 of 1,736
I thought as much! £1045 for a bit warmer sound. Rabbit hole stuff!
Indeed - but sitting in my little rabbit hole with my Stellia's and the V222 is really nice..... :ksc75smile:

Sep 22, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #745 of 1,736
Sep 22, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #747 of 1,736
I'm shocked to see a new model like the V222 end up on Drop. That can only mean sales during the launch period weren't what they expected.

BTW, the Drop listing has the usual Drop issue: "Estimated ship date is Nov 9, 2023 PT."

Sep 22, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #748 of 1,736
I'm shocked to see a new model like the V222 end up on Drop. That can only mean sales during the launch period weren't what they expected.

BTW, the Drop listing has the usual Drop issue: "Estimated ship date is Nov 9, 2023 PT."
I can only find it in stock at Amazon and they're charging $1559.

It's only available as a pre-order on other sites like Power Holdings and B&H. Considering the pre-orders will likely take a few weeks also, the drop date isn't too bad for the extra few hundred bucks you'll be saving.

Sep 22, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #749 of 1,736
Hoping the V202 ends up on Drop - I'd definitely pull the trigger on that. I'm curious how others feel, but I'm not sure I really "need" the balanced V222 for my Atticus and 6XX. Plus I got a nice FAW Noir Hybrid cable for my Atticus that terminates in 6.3mm so if I got the V222 I'd probably end up wanting to buy a balanced Noir Hybrid cable as well rather than just getting an adapter since I'm sure I'd be neurotic about the possibility of an adapter having any negative impact on the sound lol

Sep 22, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #750 of 1,736
Hoping the V202 ends up on Drop - I'd definitely pull the trigger on that. I'm curious how others feel, but I'm not sure I really "need" the balanced V222 for my Atticus and 6XX. Plus I got a nice FAW Noir Hybrid cable for my Atticus that terminates in 6.3mm so if I got the V222 I'd probably end up wanting to buy a balanced Noir Hybrid cable as well rather than just getting an adapter since I'm sure I'd be neurotic about the possibility of an adapter having any negative impact on the sound lol
The V222 also has a 6.3mm jack so you wouldn't have to use an adapter :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back