Violectric V222 and V202
Apr 10, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #1,681 of 1,750
I had the US5 on loan and now made the order. Already loving the volume pot on the reg, so don’t feel a need for the Pro. I was running it next to the V590² Pro and V222 and there was a clear upwards path. I’ll say that I think the V222 is hands down the best value for money, and if pressed, I would probably even choose it over the V550 (assuming it sounds the same as the 590 if run from the same source/DAC). Still I chose the US5 as I clearly did hear that jump from the sound of the 590 I was accustomed to. Can agree to all the praises listed over in the Nimbus thread… FWIW, I also had the V281 here recently, but found no advantage from it vs the 590, which is why I then auditioned the Niimbus…
That's good insight. I am this close to purchasing a V550. I love the V222 since I've purchased it. I hope the V550 is an audible leap in sound presentation/quality and plays nice with IEMs that I own.

Apr 11, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #1,682 of 1,750
At the end I did not have an opportunity to listen to V222 but anyhow decided to go for a blind purchase...and I did not regret at all :k701smile:.
I will just briefly describe my delight with this fantastic gear. I am listening V222 with AKG K712 and K371.

Bass: It is fast and precise. Fantastic definition! That bass attack is so addictive. Because of that speed it is not covering anything else, just hit and go. I would never say it is too much of it...I would rather say all others are failing in this category compared to V222!

Mids: This was the biggest question for me before I purchased V222 since some comments here were in direction that V222 is upper mids forward, however I can say now I disagree to that. Everything sounds smooth and even to me. But this depends a lot on DAC used. For instance, Zen DAC [ASIO] was even a bit laid back with upper mids, while Zen DAC [DirectSound] was just a bit more forward compared to [ASIO] but still overall smooth (minor difference). Good old Lynx L22 PCI sound card is fantastic - just a slightly pushed back vocals but with some spark in the highs (more about this in the next paragraph).

Highs: At first I thought that it really lacks some details in highs...until I hook good old Lynx L22 to it...what a DAC. Lynx added some spark in highs and improved dynamics a lot. I will just say that V222+Lynx L22 is fantastic synergy. Black background is scary. Notes are appearing from nowhere (I had similar feeling with Zen DAC in terms of black background but not to that extent). Vocals are more natural.

I can briefly compare V222 with Phonitor XE, but take it with a grain of salt since I was listening to Phonitor more than a month ago (so this is from my memory). Phonitor is sounding more liquid, like everything is more cohesive. Upper mids and highs are very smooth, with no grain. There was a more reverb, and kind of slightly extended echo behind the vocals feeling all voids. I can imagine some will like such sound signature of Phonitor more since it gave an 'organic' feeling to the sound...but not me. I feel V222 is somehow faster, tighter - vocals are not extended in the echo, they just appear/disappear faster - I was looking for it. Phonitor bass might be deeper but without that big punch, attack, fast cut which I found in V222. I was searching for a 'black background' and I have found it with V222.

Apr 11, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #1,683 of 1,750
At the end I did not have an opportunity to listen to V222 but anyhow decided to go for a blind purchase...and I did not regret at all :k701smile:.
I will just briefly describe my delight with this fantastic gear. I am listening V222 with AKG K712 and K371.

Bass: It is fast and precise. Fantastic definition! That bass attack is so addictive. Because of that speed it is not covering anything else, just hit and go. I would never say it is too much of it...I would rather say all others are failing in this category compared to V222!

Mids: This was the biggest question for me before I purchased V222 since some comments here were in direction that V222 is upper mids forward, however I can say now I disagree to that. Everything sounds smooth and even to me. But this depends a lot on DAC used. For instance, Zen DAC [ASIO] was even a bit laid back with upper mids, while Zen DAC [DirectSound] was just a bit more forward compared to [ASIO] but still overall smooth (minor difference). Good old Lynx L22 PCI sound card is fantastic - just a slightly pushed back vocals but with some spark in the highs (more about this in the next paragraph).

Highs: At first I thought that it really lacks some details in highs...until I hook good old Lynx L22 to it...what a DAC. Lynx added some spark in highs and improved dynamics a lot. I will just say that V222+Lynx L22 is fantastic synergy. Black background is scary. Notes are appearing from nowhere (I had similar feeling with Zen DAC in terms of black background but not to that extent). Vocals are more natural.

I can briefly compare V222 with Phonitor XE, but take it with a grain of salt since I was listening to Phonitor more than a month ago (so this is from my memory). Phonitor is sounding more liquid, like everything is more cohesive. Upper mids and highs are very smooth, with no grain. There was a more reverb, and kind of slightly extended echo behind the vocals feeling all voids. I can imagine some will like such sound signature of Phonitor more since it gave an 'organic' feeling to the sound...but not me. I feel V222 is somehow faster, tighter - vocals are not extended in the echo, they just appear/disappear faster - I was looking for it. Phonitor bass might be deeper but without that big punch, attack, fast cut which I found in V222. I was searching for a 'black background' and I have found it with V222.
Jackpot!!! Spot on description… kudos on the new acquisition… now go enjoy the music!!

Apr 12, 2024 at 4:10 AM Post #1,685 of 1,750
I dont think dacs change the sound in Hifimans too much. I got multiple dacs better one being Ifi neo dac. But iv noticed that superior to my Vioelectric v222 is Bryston bha-1 and ofc some tube amps. There might be other Ss amps which pushes mids forward and lowers that hellish treble spike in Hifimans. I had to eq my He-1000 cos that piercing high notes sometimes caused earbleeds
i’m no expert on DACs, but I’ve got and hifiman HE1000 stealth and ZMF atrium closed. The Hifiman can definitely benefit from a very good DAC.
My comparison units are at the extreme of both end - iFi zen dac (entry level) vs Lampizator Big7 (previous flagship for hifi setup) loan unit
All going thru Violectric v222

I know that 99% of ppl will not spend 9k euro to get a DAC for desktop setup, and I would not advise it too. Better spend it on headphones and amps. But it was an eye-opener experience for me as 6 months ago, I was a non-believer on DACs making huge difference

Apr 13, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #1,686 of 1,750
Had my v222 in the living room for a week now. Not a single issue with distortion so far as suspected.

Use it with my kennerton magni currently love that headphone also with the v222 just cant fault it.

In a way good this made me
rediscover my audio gd C2 I now use in the bedroom. Its soundstaging is just better then the v222 plays notably wider I feel and its dirt cheap to boot while also being on the warm and smooth side.

Will see if I dare to make a serious comparison one day but they are tuned slightely differently.

Apr 18, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #1,687 of 1,750
Hello, I am thinking of purchasing the v222, but its older brother v340 also catches my attention. Beyond the technical aspects, basically the v340 also offers a pre-amplifier. How do they compare in terms of sound? Is the v340 worth it vs the v222? There isn't much info about the v340 on the internet...thanks!

Apr 18, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #1,688 of 1,750
Hello, I am thinking of purchasing the v222, but its older brother v340 also catches my attention. Beyond the technical aspects, basically the v340 also offers a pre-amplifier. How do they compare in terms of sound? Is the v340 worth it vs the v222? There isn't much info about the v340 on the internet...thanks!
The 340 is not its older brother. It has an advanced circuit design when compared to the V222. It is the next step in transparency and clarity, the mid point before the V550.
Please read my Violectric V380² review as the 380 has the exact same amplifier as the 340. Skip the DAC section and read only for the headphone amplifier.

Apr 18, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #1,689 of 1,750
The 340 is not its older brother. It has an advanced circuit design when compared to the V222. It is the next step in transparency and clarity, the mid point before the V550.
Please read my Violectric V380² review as the 380 has the exact same amplifier as the 340. Skip the DAC section and read only for the headphone amplifier.
Thank you @Ichos !, I meant Big Brother :sweat_smile:, so the v340 is even better than the v222, not just the v222 with a pre-amp, OMG how tempting...

Apr 18, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #1,693 of 1,750
Patience is not one of my virtues - I just ordered a V222 from Thomann to drive my HD800S (amongst others). I'm hoping that the V222 will add some body to the sound compared with my currently used SMSL SH9 THX 888 amp.

Apr 18, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #1,694 of 1,750
Patience is not one of my virtues - I just ordered a V222 from Thomann to drive my HD800S (amongst others). I'm hoping that the V222 will add some body to the sound compared with my currently used SMSL SH9 THX 888 amp.
I am listening to my 800S via my v222 as we speak. Coming from a THX amp, I suspect you will be very happy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back