Violectric V222 and V202
Apr 4, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #1,666 of 1,750
"True Confession"... I just received my V222 and all I can say is WOOOOOOW!!!
This amp is simple PERFECTION!!
The sound, The power is spot on!
What this does for the music is AMAZING!
I was torn between this and possibly the ZMF Homage... well, I thought I'd give this a shot 1st and 3-4 hours in... this amp makes ALL the sense for my ZMFs... dynamics AND planar. Does it replace my tubes? Nope. It's not supposed to and I didn't approach it as a replacement, simply as a solid state option... one that's truly “SOLID” and GREAT sounding. This was found today!
Congrats, glad it is working well for you. It is a superb SS amp and works well with everything I've paired to it. When I first paired it the Bifrost 2/64 and Caldera I was in awe.

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #1,667 of 1,750
I had these two the same time, and I agree about 80%
The 20% i don't agree is from the treble: I don't find the RME treble to be more detailed, just that it sounds thinner and therefore the treble is pronounced.
In my opinion this does lead to perceived additional "detail" that I think is not meant to be there.
You could test this by using RME as a dac, and increase the treble from the EQ.
RME is by the way an excellent AOI solution, and dac inside it is very capable.
After listening to the amplifier for a few days, I agree with you, the details are there, maybe it needed a little burn-in, I've been listening to it for a couple of days now and it just sounds better and better, and it really brought my DT-1770 Pro to life, they have never sounded better, a perfect match.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #1,668 of 1,750
For those looking for a DAC, I just picked up a Chord Qutest, and it is sublime with the V222. I think the V222 actually handles it better than my tube amps, which was not my expectation going in… I am planning to write a little comparison of the Qutest vs Geshelli Dayzee vs Ares 12th + Iris 12th when I get a little time, and the V222 will be one of the amps used for the comparison, so it might be useful for you guys. Now I just need some uninterrupted listening time to take some notes… I was only home with the Qutest and V222 one day this week, but it was one of those “just one more track” and ending up going to bed over an hour later than intended situations - my first thought is that pairing is pure magic, but more detail / comparison to come…

Apr 7, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #1,670 of 1,750
Hi all. I'm new into this HiFi thing and got myself the Arya organic (XLR balanced) and V222 (RCA in). I'm currently feeding this setup from a modi 3+ (usb). Will I see any positive noticeable difference if I upgrade from modi 3+ to bifrost 2/64? Is it really worth spending $800 or just stick to modi 3+ and call it the endgame? Cuz I won't upgrade anything else in the system, I'm pretty much satisfied with the colour in Arya + v222 combo. I feel like just a little more detail in my music and I think my setup will be perfect.

Apr 7, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #1,671 of 1,750
Hi all. I'm new into this HiFi thing and got myself the Arya organic (XLR balanced) and V222 (RCA in). I'm currently feeding this setup from a modi 3+ (usb). Will I see any positive noticeable difference if I upgrade from modi 3+ to bifrost 2/64? Is it really worth spending $800 or just stick to modi 3+ and call it the endgame? Cuz I won't upgrade anything else in the system, I'm pretty much satisfied with the colour in Arya + v222 combo. I feel like just a little more detail in my music and I think my setup will
That is a great combo that you have right there and for most people that is a great endgame combo.

Everyone has a different take on What you're going to get by certain upgrades. Personally though, I don't believe that you're going to get more 'detail' from a DAC. A DAC is more to give a bit of color to your music, sometime a warmth and for some people it's a clarity of neutrality.

For me when one talks about upgrades 'detail' Is the one term that I think describes the difference between 2 amps or two headphones or the perfect combo. That is only way I believe to achieve more 'detail' in the music.

So if it is correct that you want more 'details''. essentially you're saying that you need a 'better amp' or better 'headphones' .

I'm sure there are other people here that probably have a good amount more time in the hobby than me. That may have a difference of opinion and I don't believe that My knowledge of the Violectric V222 Is as extensive as theirs and I will let them chime in. If others believe my assessment is incorrect then I apologize and it is just a subjective opinion.

Apr 7, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #1,672 of 1,750
Hi all. I'm new into this HiFi thing and got myself the Arya organic (XLR balanced) and V222 (RCA in). I'm currently feeding this setup from a modi 3+ (usb). Will I see any positive noticeable difference if I upgrade from modi 3+ to bifrost 2/64? Is it really worth spending $800 or just stick to modi 3+ and call it the endgame? Cuz I won't upgrade anything else in the system, I'm pretty much satisfied with the colour in Arya + v222 combo. I feel like just a little more detail in my music and I think my setup will be perfect.
I don't know if you'll get more "detail" but you will enjoy an increase in overall sound quality. Things can sound more natural, more refined, and yes, tonality can also change with another DAC.

I'm no expert, but I consider your system very strong, but the DAC does seem like the weak link.

I just bought a Bifrost 2/64 used from the Classifieds here. And I saw another one going for $600. You might wish to investigate that path.

PS. The Bifrost was a nice upgrade over the Topping DX7Pro I was using.

Apr 7, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #1,673 of 1,750
If anyone is interested in a Violectric V222, please message me. I bought it in February 2024, and prefer my Tube amps to it and want to reduce my options. I tried to figure out how to post on the Classifieds, but not sure why I cannot (I have the 2 factor verification enabled). Anyhow - It sounds great, definitely more magic than the other Solid State amps I tried (Burson Soloist, 789, L50, A90 Discrete), but tubes just have more magic/entertainment for me (Woo Wa 6SE, Feliks Euphoria, and Woo Wa8).

Apr 7, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #1,674 of 1,750
You probably didn’t have enough posts. Should work by tomorrow…

Apr 7, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #1,676 of 1,750
For those looking for a DAC, I just picked up a Chord Qutest, and it is sublime with the V222. I think the V222 actually handles it better than my tube amps, which was not my expectation going in… I am planning to write a little comparison of the Qutest vs Geshelli Dayzee vs Ares 12th + Iris 12th when I get a little time, and the V222 will be one of the amps used for the comparison, so it might be useful for you guys. Now I just need some uninterrupted listening time to take some notes… I was only home with the Qutest and V222 one day this week, but it was one of those “just one more track” and ending up going to bed over an hour later than intended situations - my first thought is that pairing is pure magic, but more detail / comparison to come…

Yeah, I often use a Qutest with my 226. We used to use that combo at CanJams as well. Great sounding set.

Apr 7, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #1,677 of 1,750
I dont think dacs change the sound in Hifimans too much. I got multiple dacs better one being Ifi neo dac. But iv noticed that superior to my Vioelectric v222 is Bryston bha-1 and ofc some tube amps. There might be other Ss amps which pushes mids forward and lowers that hellish treble spike in Hifimans. I had to eq my He-1000 cos that piercing high notes sometimes caused earbleeds

Apr 9, 2024 at 3:25 AM Post #1,678 of 1,750
I will also be selling my sold my V222 (as well as the DHA V590² PRO) as I’ve settled on the Niimbus now.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 3:53 AM Post #1,679 of 1,750
I will also be selling my V222 (as well as the DHA V590² PRO) as I’ve settled on the Niimbus now.
Any EU people looking for one, let me know.
Do you have the Niimbus US 5 pro?
If yes, would you say the amp part of the V590² Pro is the same quality?
As I have been advised to get V550 instead, unless I will be using the pre-amp part of the Niimbus for a two channel setup.
I’m currently a V222 user and planning for future upgrade. Thank you

Apr 10, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #1,680 of 1,750
I had the US5 on loan and now made the order. Already loving the volume pot on the reg, so don’t feel a need for the Pro. I was running it next to the V590² Pro and V222 and there was a clear upwards path. I’ll say that I think the V222 is hands down the best value for money, and if pressed, I would probably even choose it over the V550 (assuming it sounds the same as the 590 if run from the same source/DAC). Still I chose the US5 as I clearly did hear that jump from the sound of the 590 I was accustomed to. Can agree to all the praises listed over in the Nimbus thread… FWIW, I also had the V281 here recently, but found no advantage from it vs the 590, which is why I then auditioned the Niimbus…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back