Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Oct 18, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #5,056 of 5,979
This just opened up another very interesting possibility for me. I had briefly experimented with using regular stereo (integrated) amps to power my 1266 TC as many do. However, the gain was always too much. Never thought about using the 281 as a pre in front of a regular power amp to try since I didn't even know about the internal DIP switches. Dang! Might be something to look into.

Oct 18, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #5,057 of 5,979
If I just shift around a few words here and there this whole post could just as well be mine. A preamp unlike anything I've heard. Separate adjustments for headphone gain and preamp output gain is a godsend. So sick of preamps that have my volume knob between 7:00 and 9:00 o'clock. With gain adjustments I now have mine between 10:00 and 2:00 give or take to get my desired volume. Mine is hooked up to an ATC P1 Pro amplifier. Also I have come up with some amazing interconnects that aren't cheap but they're not outrageous either. Big difference from my generic XLR cables that I started with. I will admit this is my first fully balanced preamp with XLR outputs so that might be part of it but that's not all of it. I agree when removing the cover it's really something to see. I would ask how long you've had it plugged in? When I first hooked mine up the initial listen had a slightly sibilant, hot treble. Words starting with s slightly even irritated me. Within a day or two that went away completely. So if by chance you just started using it yesterday or so it should get even better if you can imagine that. It stays warm even when you're not using it so that tells me keeping it plugged in and powered on is the way to go. I'm the same as you, bought it mostly for headphone and have used it about 95% for stereo speaker listening. When the time comes however I'm ready to go with headphones too
Seperate gain settings are indeed a godsend. Initially, I mistook the "input gain" to be the only gain setting possible and was quite disappointed as changing it did not affect the performance much. The preamp gain change literally turned this into something else. The best part is that having this flexibilty means you can match the Vio to a variety of power amps; and knowing how this sounds; why wouldn't you??😅😁😁

I think even I noticed the highs to be a bit hot initially but I chalked it to me not having used the preamp section at all previously and that it was part of the "break in". Anyway, this has been running since quite a few days and the highs are not at all hot anymore. Just the right amount of shimmer and glitter with the same smooth sound that I get from the balanced headphone out. Infact I find the pre-out to be slightly more detailed too (or maybe its just the speakers). My 800S has been snoozing in the case for weeks now.

I can only imagine the balanced pre out will be even better since my observations are based on the SE output (the manual says that the balanced out is 8db hotter compared to the SE output, so maybe I'll have to dial down the gain if I used balanced). Unfortunately the Stratos balanced input is not "truly balanced" so no point going bal from the Vio here. I'll surely give it a try when I do get my hands on some good bal interconnects. Nevertheless, the quality of sound that I'm getting currently is just phenomenal.

I should've gotten the remote!! Damn!!!😓😅

Oct 18, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #5,058 of 5,979
I see there's a final addition unit up for sale here on the forum. 1200 GBP=1650 US. I can't believe nobody has snatched it up after about a full day for sale. Shipping to great Britain and Ireland only however. Seller doesn't show or mention a remote but I think it should come with one. I know mine came with the real nice metal remote

Oct 18, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #5,059 of 5,979
I see there's a final addition unit up for sale here on the forum. 1200 GBP=1650 US. I can't believe nobody has snatched it up after about a full day for sale. Shipping to great Britain and Ireland only however. Seller doesn't show or mention a remote but I think it should come with one. I know mine came with the real nice metal remote
There has been a 281 for sale for weeks and weeks here, price keeps dropping, now at $1320 or something crazy like that. I'm shaking my head wondering why nobody has bought it long before now.

Oct 19, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #5,060 of 5,979
Question for those using it as a preamp -- is there a sound quality difference using RCA vs XLR out?

Nov 26, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #5,062 of 5,979
Never tried XLR out, so can't answer this one...
Curious if anyone has ever listened to both the V281 and the Benchmark HPA4. Currently using the V281 with Ether 2 headphones but actually 95% of my use is a preamp in my stereo room. I'm not sure but I don't think they Benchmark has adjustable gains which (if true) right there alone gives the nod to the Vio. I do like the two sets of balanced inputs with the Benchmark which would let me keep two different dacs hooked up and powered up all the time. Only relevant if I find that different dacs sound better with different sources. Jury still out on that. Opinions anyone?

Nov 26, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #5,063 of 5,979
Curious if anyone has ever listened to both the V281 and the Benchmark HPA4. Currently using the V281 with Ether 2 headphones but actually 95% of my use is a preamp in my stereo room. I'm not sure but I don't think they Benchmark has adjustable gains which (if true) right there alone gives the nod to the Vio. I do like the two sets of balanced inputs with the Benchmark which would let me keep two different dacs hooked up and powered up all the time. Only relevant if I find that different dacs sound better with different sources. Jury still out on that. Opinions anyone?
I own (and love) the V281, as well as 6 other amps. I've heard the Benchmark HPA4 at shows, but under conditions that made it difficult to hone in on the amp vs the headphones (all were unfamiliar). So all I really have to go on are reviews and user comments for the Benchmark, which is greatly liked by many users.

The separately adjustable gain for headphones and line output make the V281 incredibly valuable to me in my desktop system with excessive gain due to higher than usual voltage output from the DAC (3 volts vs the more typical 2 volts for single-ended DACs). I also appreciate the compact dimensions of the V281, very welcome on my cramped desktop.

But I/O & design differences aside, I think the real choice here is between the V281's meaty, musical, dynamic, bassy* sound (which I love & find perfect for all genres of music) vs the Benchmark's sound, often described as cooler, more focused on detail retrieval and accuracy. Of course, the very same choice exists with headphones, DACs, all audio gear. So if you've owned and heard much audio gear, I'm guessing you're well acquainted with this sonic dichotomy and have some idea of where your preferences lay.

IMO the V281 stands at the peak of the smooth, organic, musical sound heap. I would be hard pressed to live without it.

It's a standard recommendation: if you can possibly get to a show with your own headphones and audition the Benchmark (the V281 has been discontinued), you'll at least get to hear what it sounds like & whether it suits your sonic preferences.

*That word is unfair, as it implies elevated bass. not the case with the V281. What it does is powerful, controlled, tight and punchy bass with excellent detail and accurate timbre. I have a number of amps that do bass well; the V281 is top of the list.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #5,064 of 5,979

I have had a V281 for years and had the HPA-4 on home demo. The Vio sounds more liquid and wet, whereas the HPA-4 sounds dry both in the analytical sense and in the sound itself I noticed some grain. I think the HPA-4 sounds better with certain headphones that don’t match well with the V281, but it didn’t sound great to me with anything - and I think there are better options in that price range - unless the absolute lowest distortion figures are your preference. This is all, IMO.

Nov 26, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #5,065 of 5,979
I have had a V281 for years and had the HPA-4 on home demo. The Vio sounds more liquid and wet, whereas the HPA-4 sounds dry both in the analytical sense and in the sound itself I noticed some grain. I think the HPA-4 sounds better with certain headphones that don’t match well with the V281, but it didn’t sound great to me with anything - and I think there are better options in that price range - unless the absolute lowest distortion figures are your preference. This is all, IMO.
The audio dichotomy: figures or sound? I’ll just say that I don’t listen to sine waves with notches in them…

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #5,066 of 5,979
Oh dear dont get me started again😅

All I can say is: Stay away from the HPA-4. Find a used V281 or get a new V590. Thank me later😎

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #5,067 of 5,979
I also tried the Benchmark HPA4 once with the Empyrean / HD800s and Hifiman HE1KSe and I couldn't finish a song with it as it sounded so bright and piercing (I'm extra sensitive to sibilant).

Of course, when I check... it measures superbly! ASR even gave "Strongest recommendation... It doesn't get better than this".
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nts-of-benchmark-hpa4-headphone-amp-pre.8141/

Don't know why, but gears that measure well or perfect usually don't sound the best.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #5,068 of 5,979
I also tried the Benchmark HPA4 once with the Empyrean / HD800s and Hifiman HE1KSe and I couldn't finish a song with it as it sounded so bright and piercing (I'm extra sensitive to sibilant).

Of course, when I check... it measures superbly! ASR even gave "Strongest recommendation... It doesn't get better than this".
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nts-of-benchmark-hpa4-headphone-amp-pre.8141/

Don't know why, but gears that measure well or perfect usually don't sound the best.
Jason Stoddard of Schiit Audio has stated that he could design a headphone amplifier with zero distortion but that “it would sound terrible” (words of JS).

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #5,069 of 5,979
Jason Stoddard of Schiit Audio has stated that he could design a headphone amplifier with zero distortion but that “it would sound terrible” (words of JS).
Irony, isn't it? In general sense, things that measure well should also perform well technically, but when it comes to audio(phile), many things don't seem to work as expected. This is also true with DACs and many headphones I've tried. Maybe it's the way we perceive sound?

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #5,070 of 5,979
Irony, isn't it? In general sense, things that measure well should also perform well technically, but when it comes to audio(phile), many things don't seem to work as expected. This is also true with DACs and many headphones I've tried. Maybe it's the way we perceive sound?
The old adage in audio: “if a component sounds good but measures poorly, the wrong thing is being measured.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back