Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Dec 13, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #5,086 of 5,932
I also tried THX out a while ago. It was the SMSL THX SP200. Super clean sounding, but I just found it kind of boring.

After that I went to a Liquid Platinum which I found to be a lot more fun. Then I took the advice of someone I trusted and bought a used Violectric V220. It is essentially a stripped down V281 (less power and no balanced out). It formed a perfect yin and yang with the LP. High gain via balanced out vs lower impedance headphones via SE out. Both amps had their strengths.

Then I ended up buying a used iFi Pro iCAN. Even used, it was most expensive purchase of any headfi gear ever, for me. Tons of power and I love the features (especially bass boost!), but it didn't blow me away at first. But now months later, I am thinking about slimming the collection down. I just shipped out a Little Dot MKIII that I wasn't even using.

I think the iFi can do practically anything the LP can, unless you want to spend a ton on different tubes.

But the V220 adds warmth to my Grado's and others that nothing else can. I hate the huge, long box, but that sound is something else. It really does add something special.

I think I could live just fine with my iFi as long as I had my V220 in the system too.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #5,087 of 5,932
Has anybody tried MIT Vero 50EX?

I used to think V281 was among the best headphone amplifiers, until I had a chance to home demo the MIT Vero 50EX, Battery Powered amplifier. This amp has very simple circuitry and only accepts RCA input, also, it has quite audible noise floor (more like high-bias). Tried the low gain setting but the background noise was still audible faintly even with my 300Ohm VC.

That background noise aside (not audible when music was played), with only the RCA input, all my headphones (Utopia+Dana Ref / VC+SR cable / Empyrean+Lavri Grand) sounded better with the Vero, comparing with the V281 with balance connection (with very good XLR cable). This shocked me a bit as I went a great length with wall plug / isolation transformer / power cable and high end audio grade fuses... but all these mean nothing when comparison was made against the Vero with its mere battery.

With the Vero, vocal/mid is better (fuller with more dynamic). I can hear more minute details and head-stage seemed a bit wider. Mid bass also seems a tad better too.

DSC09838.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #5,088 of 5,932
Sorry for double post... but the Vero 50Ex made me itch to upgrade...

How about Luxman P-750u Vs V281? I know the Luxman is more expensive (and should be better), but I'd like to hear from those of you who tried them both. How is the Luxman comparing with the 281? Is it warmer or more analytical? Given my 3 main headphones in sig, would it be a better match comparing with the V281?

Dec 15, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #5,089 of 5,932
That MIT amp is weird. I've heard it twice in the past few years - once sounded surprisingly great, the other time sounded terrible. Neither was in my own system though so hard to draw any conclusions. I did note the background noise and found it distracting - a deal breaker for me, especially when battery operation should lead to an inky black background in theory.

A friend of a friend told me the internal design was extremely simplistic for the price, basically a beefed up version of the old DIY CMOY amp. Not sure what to make of that and I never verified it myself so who knows. It does seem quite powerful and capable of driving most any headphones though. Still, not really my cup of tea.

The Luxman is another that I've heard in unfamiliar systems but never spent enough time with to really nail it down. In my limited experience it seemed dark and pretty rich, which is the typical Luxman sound for the most part. I liked what I heard but also thought it was overpriced, which again is not uncommon for Luxman (at new pricing). I do like their stuff, have owned a few CD players and amps and find them very enjoyable. I do think they can be a good value on the used market (particularly the older stuff which is beautifully warm and smooth).

Dec 15, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #5,091 of 5,932
Haha yes their signature is very enjoyable, and pretty easy to pair with other brands/signatures as it doesn't go extreme with the coloration.

It certainly is big/bulky/heavy stuff though. Well made, but somewhat polarizing looks (I love it but can see why some wouldn't).

Dec 15, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #5,092 of 5,932
Haha yes their signature is very enjoyable, and pretty easy to pair with other brands/signatures as it doesn't go extreme with the coloration.

It certainly is big/bulky/heavy stuff though. Well made, but somewhat polarizing looks (I love it but can see why some wouldn't).
Actually, I find Japanese high-end audio (different brands) to be strikingly handsome. Years ago I had a big Denon DD turntable with high-gloss mahogany base that was a knockout; then there are those terrific-looking Onkyo power amplifiers with the big meters on front. So many examples.

Dec 15, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #5,093 of 5,932
"dark and rich" is where I live. I'd be scuffling around in search of a gently used Luxman if not for its dimensions, way too big for my desktop system.

So I'm "making do" with the V281 (not exactly a hardship!)...
Yeah, making do... you're breaking my heart, lol

Many a fond memory of my V281. That Industrial look is rather sexy. It looks like it belongs in a naval vessel war room - especially when mated up with a Soekris DAC. Also, that sound signature... :ok_hand:

Dec 16, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #5,094 of 5,932
That MIT amp is weird. I've heard it twice in the past few years - once sounded surprisingly great, the other time sounded terrible. Neither was in my own system though so hard to draw any conclusions. I did note the background noise and found it distracting - a deal breaker for me, especially when battery operation should lead to an inky black background in theory.

A friend of a friend told me the internal design was extremely simplistic for the price, basically a beefed up version of the old DIY CMOY amp. Not sure what to make of that and I never verified it myself so who knows. It does seem quite powerful and capable of driving most any headphones though. Still, not really my cup of tea.

The Luxman is another that I've heard in unfamiliar systems but never spent enough time with to really nail it down. In my limited experience it seemed dark and pretty rich, which is the typical Luxman sound for the most part. I liked what I heard but also thought it was overpriced, which again is not uncommon for Luxman (at new pricing). I do like their stuff, have owned a few CD players and amps and find them very enjoyable. I do think they can be a good value on the used market (particularly the older stuff which is beautifully warm and smooth).
Yes... it looks so empty inside. Maybe the argument that it's a beef up CMOY may have some ground.
263515807_461697535371871_5313697138921587843_n.png

Despite the look, the sound is very good in my setup, with my gears.

I did further search and found that Luxman stopped selling the P-750u a while ago, and currently only P-750u MKII is available only in Japan.

I really want to have the Luxman, but with the current state, even if I can find once (used/from Japan), it's 110V (where I live it's 220), so I also have to get a good quality step down transformer. A good quality one for audiophile use costs around 900$.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #5,095 of 5,932
Anyone hear the V281 with the LCD5?

Is this pairing on the warmer or brighter side?

Dec 25, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #5,097 of 5,932
Anyone hear the V281 with the LCD5?

Is this pairing on the warmer or brighter side?
Can't help you with the LCD 5.

I did own a vintage pre-fazor LCD-2.1, also a pre-fazor early LCD-3. Both really lit up on the V281, as do my 2 current planars, the Final D8000 and ZMF Ori.

The V281 is one of those solid state amps that suits nearly every headphone I throw at it. I've never heard any headphone, planar or dynamic, sound less than its best on this amp.

Dec 25, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #5,099 of 5,932
Thanks, TheMiddleSky, Pharmaboy, fiiom11pro.

Yesterday I did have a chance to listen to the LCD-5 with Woo WA33 in store. The demo V281 was dead and the store has not yet replaced it, so I couldn't listen to this pair.

The source is only Earmen Toretto, into WA33's RCA input. This is less than ideal, but even with this inferior source, I liked what I heard. LCD-5 seems to have great dynamic and micro detail (similar feeling I had with my Utopia with V281). I feel that the LCD-5 is "less bright" than my Utopia (with Lazuli Ref). Songs that are prone to sibilant seemed to be tamer... but then again... I couldn't tell for sure since this is with a very expensive amp. Will bring in the V281 to pair with the LCD5 and will also bring along my Utopia to do a proper comparison.

If the LCD-5 performs at the same level with my V281, I think I can get rid of my Utopia + ZMF VC and just own the LCD-5 along with the Empy (non Elite).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back