Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Oct 27, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #5,716 of 5,991
i demoed the lcd4 with the v280 that i previously owned and for me the match was fantastic.
I have yet to find a single planar headphone that doesn't sound great on the V281. I currently own 3 (ZMF Caldera; ZMF Ori; Final D8000), and all 3 sound like money on the V281. Then there were the ones I used to own (pf LCD-3; pd LCD-2.1; Empyrean; Kennerton Odin "Thridi"; AFO; HEX v2. They all sounded their best on the V281.

The real surprise is the V281 is equally successful with high impedance dynamics (any impedance dynamics). It has done extremely well with my silkwood VO; blackwood Aelous; Atrium open (since sold); Eikon (since sold); VC (loaner); and Auteur Classic (brief listen/loaner).

I have a few other amps that sound amazing on this or that headphone, but not others. The V281 is totally not that kind of amp.

I really don't understand why more people haven't stepped up for the reissue. One doesn't get many chances to buy a legendary but (until recently) discontinued example of great German electronics...

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #5,717 of 5,991
I have yet to find a single planar headphone that doesn't sound great on the V281. I currently own 3 (ZMF Caldera; ZMF Ori; Final D8000), and all 3 sound like money on the V281. Then there were the ones I used to own (pf LCD-3; pd LCD-2.1; Empyrean; Kennerton Odin "Thridi"; AFO; HEX v2. They all sounded their best on the V281.

The real surprise is the V281 is equally successful with high impedance dynamics (any impedance dynamics). It has done extremely well with my silkwood VO; blackwood Aelous; Atrium open (since sold); Eikon (since sold); VC (loaner); and Auteur Classic (brief listen/loaner).

I have a few other amps that sound amazing on this or that headphone, but not others. The V281 is totally not that kind of amp.

I really don't understand why more people haven't stepped up for the reissue. One doesn't get many chances to buy a legendary but (until recently) discontinued example of great German electronics..
add hekse to that list

i’m assuming people are not stepping up as it’s an old release and there are new flavours out there, as good, solid and versatile as the v281 is.
At this price point, which is not entry level, there needs to be some buzz/hype about it, dare i say with that group of usual reviewers of headfi gear reviewing and approving of it.

i have the. Niimbus us4 and i feel that that amp is under recognised especially here in Australia where it can’t sell second hand (someone else’s 4+) for even less than half price - less than 2.5k USD.
Problem is there is nowhere to demo it here.

and when i sold my less than one year old v280 two or so years ago (when upgrading to niimbus) i had to sell it for considerably less than half price. Definitely not a sellers market down here

Oct 27, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #5,718 of 5,991
I really don't understand why more people haven't stepped up for the reissue. One doesn't get many chances to buy a legendary but (until recently) discontinued example of great German electronics...
I don’t understand it initially too. However, I reckon there are pros and cons in pulling the trigger for those sitting on the fence wrt V281.
Pros:
- Legendary amp that was almost unobtainum (unless one buy it in resale market or during this limited release)
- Tube-like sound (no need to get into tubes which are more tedious to manage for some) with solid punchy low end sound
Cons:
- Perceived old tech vs relatively newer Vio models (tuned more neutral except V202/V222) and other competing brands
- Opportunity cost. For the same amount of money, one could get another headphone esp. during this ZMF Nov period or another new dac like Holo Spring 3 KTE which cost around the same ballpark; for example.

I must say that even I already own the V280, I have been tempted many times to jump in and join this conga line; to have it as a collectible. But in the end I decided against it as I have no use case for having another (despite being a long time Violectric fanboy). Moreover, I have since walked the “dark side” of tube amps LOL 😊

All said, for others who have yet to experience the V281/V280, this is a rare opportunity to get onto the bandwagon; and hear (understand) why there is such a strong liking for them.

Oct 27, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #5,720 of 5,991
…. “More coal fuel for the fire” (eco-sensitive). With its circuit design and high voltage swing capability, Violectric V281 exhibits mastery over the 600-ohm Beyerdynamic T1 (Gen 2). The headphone has become a baton in the hands of the conductor.
A4F5F561-D5DC-4020-A9CF-6CF95A16E292.jpeg

Nov 2, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #5,722 of 5,991
I just posted my detailed review of the Tungsten, in which I highlighted the V281 amp, which I think is one of the best amps in the market for these wonderful headphones (assuming one doesn't venture into the stratosphere of amps in the $15-20k range).

Cross-posting here as it may be of interest to V281 owners. To you, guys, I can't recommend the Tungsten enough. The V281 drives them beautifully...

It took a very long time to write, but it is finally done. It really has been a blast getting to know these absolutely wonderful headphones!

MY DETAILED REVIEW OF THE MODHOUSE TUNGSTEN:​

HERE: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/modhouse-tungsten.26823/reviews#review-32108

1698902495818.png

Nov 2, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #5,723 of 5,991
I have the reissue v281 on order, now I am debating to get the single side or double side Tungsten to pair with it once it comes back in stock. Which version pairs better with the v281? @goldwerger

Nov 2, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #5,724 of 5,991
I have the reissue v281 on order, now I am debating to get the single side or double side Tungsten to pair with it once it comes back in stock. Which version pairs better with the v281? @goldwerger

I’ve included a section in my review to compare the DS and SS versions - you can skip right to it for my specific notes on how they compare.

The short answer is that I prefer the Double Sided, including on the V281!

Nov 3, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #5,725 of 5,991
Hey all! New to the thread, I currently have the Vio V222 but I've been looking at the V281. Since they are so hard to come by on the used market I thought I would ask Arthur at Powerholdings Inc if they still had plans to release a V281 without the Reed Relay Pot which would knock down the price a bit he said and I quote "So unfortunately we're not going to release a version without the relay volume this year. If the current V281 sell out and there's a demand for more we will consider making a version without the relay volume next year"
Just wanted to share with the thread in case anyone was curious as well. I'll just have to save up a bit more :) Also curious if anyone has/ has had both the V281 and the V222, is there much of a difference in sound or am I just looking at a larger version of the V222? It will be primarily for HP use. Thx🙂

Nov 17, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #5,727 of 5,991
"So unfortunately we're not going to release a version without the relay volume this year. If the current V281 sell out and there's a demand for more we will consider making a version without the relay volume next year"
Ok, so my Final Edition isn’t final anymore and this new Limited Edition isn’t limited. Got it. 😆

And is it only for the US market? Didn’t see it on Violectric’s domestic website.

Funny to read that the old relays were ”noisy and problematic”. Mine’s dead quiet at the volumes I’m listening to at least. But if that’s truly the case, wonder if I can send mine in to have them swapped if I ever feel that need?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back