Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Oct 21, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #5,701 of 6,030
Anyone else notice that the power output section for the v550/590 is 5500mW instead of the 6400mW being mentioned earlier in the article:
In principle, this doesn’t matter. No headphones can drive an amplifier to this level of output power (only short-term peaks are possible).
6,4W is the correct value
Am I understanding correctly that these maximum power values do not depend much on the gain setting?
That is, if the maximum power for a given resistance can be obtained at +6 DB gain, then with the gain set to +12 (or +18) DB, the output power will not exceed the maximum values from the manual?

As I can see from the measurements, ASR was able to get maximum power already at +6 (33 ohm)/ +12 (300 ohm) gain.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-v550-pro-review-pre-amp-headphone-amp.24974/

As I understand it, this logic for delivering maximum power applies to the entire Violectric line.

Oct 21, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #5,702 of 6,030
In principle, this doesn’t matter. No headphones can drive an amplifier to this level of output power (only short-term peaks are possible).

Am I understanding correctly that these maximum power values do not depend much on the gain setting?
That is, if the maximum power for a given resistance can be obtained at +6 DB gain, then with the gain set to +12 (or +18) DB, the output power will not exceed the maximum values from the manual?

As I can see from the measurements, ASR was able to get maximum power already at +6 (33 ohm)/ +12 (300 ohm) gain.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-v550-pro-review-pre-amp-headphone-amp.24974/

As I understand it, this logic for delivering maximum power applies to the entire Violectric line.
Th power of amplification will take whatever voltage the gain stage provides (which) those switches control, and then amplify it by the same factor

Oct 23, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #5,703 of 6,030
I'm very strongly considering ordering the V281 reissue, but I'm not sure if the V550 Pro will be a better option. My library is pretty expansive, but I'd say the majority of my listening is to rock and metal. I definitely enjoy having some elevated bass which seems like the V281 would do well with due to its warm nature. I'd mainly be using my LCD-4 with this amp.

Would anyone who's had experience with either of the amps be able to comment?

Oct 23, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #5,704 of 6,030
I'm very strongly considering ordering the V281 reissue, but I'm not sure if the V550 Pro will be a better option. My library is pretty expansive, but I'd say the majority of my listening is to rock and metal. I definitely enjoy having some elevated bass which seems like the V281 would do well with due to its warm nature. I'd mainly be using my LCD-4 with this amp.

It’s not even a contest. The V281. I listen to mostly Classic Rock. In addition to the fact that this amplifier is better with that kind of music in terms of bass, tonality, etc. It is also more forgiving towards poor recordings, which you find a lot of in 70s, 80s, 90s rock music.

I have had the V550 in my house for a couple weeks for a demo and thr V281 was much better for my tastes.

Oct 23, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #5,705 of 6,030
It’s not even a contest. The V281. I listen to mostly Classic Rock. In addition to the fact that this amplifier is better with that kind of music in terms of bass, tonality, etc. It is also more forgiving towards poor recordings, which you find a lot of in 70s, 80s, 90s rock music.

I have had the V550 in my house for a couple weeks for a demo and thr V281 was much better for my tastes.
Really appreciate the feedback, I think you just gave me the nudge I needed :wink:

Oct 23, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #5,706 of 6,030

I love my V281 to pieces. It works very well with every headphone I've tried with it (= a lot).

So I was going to say the same thing, but from a position of partial-ignorance* (I've only heard a V550 Pro for 10 or 20 minutes, total).

*way better than total ignorance

Oct 23, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #5,707 of 6,030
I love my V281 to pieces. It works very well with every headphone I've tried with it (= a lot).

So I was going to say the same thing, but from a position of partial-ignorance* (I've only heard a V550 Pro for 10 or 20 minutes, total).

*way better than total ignorance
…. What if one is totally ignorant of being totally ignorant ? 🤔🤪🤔😫

Oct 24, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #5,708 of 6,030

Just came out!

Oct 24, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #5,709 of 6,030
I gave in to temptation and did a blind buy on the reissue limited edition v281. I never got a chance to listen to anything from Violectric but from all the good things people are saying about how the v281 is the best ss with tube like sound, I took the plunge on the 7/100 unit! I am really looking forward to hear how it compares to my Feliks Euforia AE. :)

Oct 24, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #5,710 of 6,030
I gave in to temptation and did a blind buy on the reissue limited edition v281. I never got a chance to listen to anything from Violectric but from all the good things people are saying about how the v281 is the best ss with tube like sound, I took the plunge on the 7/100 unit! I am really looking forward to hear how it compares to my Feliks Euforia AE. :)
You will not regret your V281 purchase! If you love AE, you will be head-over-heels (short & long haul) with V281. ✅

Oct 26, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #5,712 of 6,030
Oct 27, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #5,713 of 6,030

Not heard the v550

Own a niimbus us4

i demoed the lcd4 with the v280 that i previously owned and for me the match was fantastic. I found some of the upper end of the lcd 4 was peaky with other amps i had demoed it with, like some reviewers also mention, but the v280 dealt with those very well and allowed the fullness of the lcd4 sound to shine.

so the v281 should be great……imho

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #5,715 of 6,030

Users who are viewing this thread

Back