Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Dec 2, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #4,456 of 5,976
I used my V281 both as preamp (for amp + passive studio monitors) and for headphones. I have the dip-switches on the back dialed in for -12 dB gain on headphones. That may seem low, but my DAC outputs nearly 3volts, which raises gain at the headphones quite a bit. Even with -12 dB gain on headphones, most of my listening is in the 9:30-10:30 range.

I opened the case and dialed in the same -12 dB gain on the line-out. That works pretty well...when I really crank the speakers, I can get that big pot almost up to 12:00.

The I/O gain flexibility of the V281 has saved my ass since day-1.

I'm lusting after a new/different HP amp/preamp that (if I get one) will be used as both preamp & HP amp. But it has no gain adjustments, and the amp is described as "hot" (30 dB overall gain)...so the volume pot would probably be 7:00-8:00AM. Maybe that amp/preamp probably isn't a wise idea.

I agree. I don't really know if any manufacturers take into account the needs of users as much as Violectric/Lake People does. I mean they are extremely well designed and thought out products.

A few months ago when I was corresponding with Fried he was telling me about a new chip from Asahi Kasei that he was very very excited about. This was the reason the Niimbus DAC was being delayed. He was already showing the Niimbus DAC at shows but hadn't gone into production yet. Apparently AK had sent him a truly stunning and groundbreaking prototype DAC chip that they were working on. Fried told me via email, this prototype chip was so impressive to him that he totally halted the release of the Niimbus DAC that was scheduled to go into production. He mentioned that the new chip he had from AK was going to be used for a new product that he was just developing. It was to be a DAC and Preamp. Of course I was excited and I thought I'd better save my money and hold tight before I upgraded. I can't think of any other manufacturers that offer the flexibility that Fried does with his products. I'm pretty excited and just waiting to see that Lake People have up their sleeves.

Dec 2, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #4,458 of 5,976
Interesting story about the AKM chip. Remarkable that Fried would pause a launch to consider incorporating the new chip (sometimes it pays to be a company of manageable size).

I can't say enough positive things about the way I've been treated re service/technical issues by Arthur & by Fried himself. This is a class company (and their products please me to no end).

PS: do human beings even have 180 dB of hearing perception? That stat is insane!

Dec 15, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #4,462 of 5,976
Hi everyone, Planning to build a new system and need a balanced headphone amp. I already would have a dac so would not need all the extra i/o just xlr in and 4pin xlr headphone amp. So i guess this amp would be overkill for my situation. But which one in their lineup would then work best? So many choices...
Thanks in advance for any info since I am new to this brand.
Greetings, Anouk,

Dec 15, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #4,465 of 5,976
Hi, What do you guys think of the below frequency reports/roll off reported in the below thread?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...surements-of-violectric-hpa-v281-hp-amp.9331/
Nothing! I completely ignore everything I see or hear from the site, and never visit it. But I am just speaking for myself, and my attempt to protect my own sanity. Your mileage and those of other enthusiasts may vary.

Full disclosure: I never clicked the link you posted, and that I guess, should be expected.:)

Btw if I want measurements, I shall always contact Fried. I have more confidence in whatever he will have to say, in this particular case.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #4,468 of 5,976
Hi, What do you guys think of the below frequency reports/roll off reported in the below thread?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...surements-of-violectric-hpa-v281-hp-amp.9331/

This roll off corresponds to the relay-based version only (headphone output only).
Other versions have flat response.

I have a version with flat response and tried to simulate such roll off with parametric equalizer.
Cannot notice any difference in headphones.

This is frequency response of V281 with ALPS RK27 (standard version):

violectric-hpa-v281_-_soundpal.png

Dec 18, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #4,469 of 5,976

Nothing! I completely ignore everything I see or hear from the site, and never visit it. But I am just speaking for myself, and my attempt to protect my own sanity. Your mileage and those of other enthusiasts may vary.

Full disclosure: I never clicked the link you posted, and that I guess, should be expected.:)

Btw if I want measurements, I shall always contact Fried. I have more confidence in whatever he will have to say, in this particular case.

V280/V281 is one of the few TOTL ss amps that does everything right.

I have had this setup since 2015. No lies detected.

This roll off corresponds to the relay-based version only (headphone output only).
Other versions have flat response.

I have a version with flat response and tried to simulate such roll off with parametric equalizer.
Cannot notice any difference in headphones.

This is frequency response of V281 with ALPS RK27 (standard version):

violectric-hpa-v281_-_soundpal.png
I just would like to point out that Fried Reim has been dealing with those measurements, starting at post #85 on that thread:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...f-violectric-hpa-v281-hp-amp.9331/post-246798

I own the V281 with relay stepped attenuator, and I admit to have clicked on that link ...

Dec 18, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #4,470 of 5,976

Users who are viewing this thread

Back