Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Apr 12, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #4,156 of 5,976
At 300mw the max SPL@500hz is 126db. Go beyond that and the headphone is going to explode.

As you can see the V220 has enough headroom left. It's just that the V281 is the better amp, especially when you are using the balanced output which I consider mandatory.

Apr 12, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #4,157 of 5,976
At 300mw the max SPL@500hz is 126db. Go beyond that and the headphone is going to explode.

As you can see the V220 has enough headroom left. It's just that the V281 is the better amp, especially when you are using the balanced output which I consider mandatory.

I agree with that but I would say that a balanced AMP without a balanced DAC does not provide such a big improvement. At the moment I use Chord Qutest which is not balanced.

Apr 12, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #4,158 of 5,976
The question now is: Sell the V281 and keep the Niimbus, or not... Soon!

IMG_20190330_201804.jpg

Apr 12, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #4,159 of 5,976
I noticed that when I use the balance knob and play with it, the right side is slightly louder than the left side. It's this way with two of my headphones. Not really a biggie though.

Apr 12, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #4,160 of 5,976
... it maybe your source, it may be your headphones, it maybe your cables, it maybe your ears.
But chances are very low that it is the amp.
Anyway, that is the reason for the balance control.

Apr 12, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #4,161 of 5,976
... it maybe your source, it may be your headphones, it maybe your cables, it maybe your ears.
But chances are very low that it is the amp.
Anyway, that is the reason for the balance control.
Lol...getting old sucks...but thx for your response. It may be my balanced cable I'm using with my SP1k.

Joon

Apr 12, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #4,162 of 5,976
My V281 just arrived.

A very quick first impressions on the V281 paired with V850.

Very clean & musical, euphoric sound signature. A slight hint of warmth but very slight. Very pleasing to the ear.

Im coming from the SPL Phonitor X w/ V850. The Phonitor to me has a more analytical signature. I've been very happy with it. But my quick 10mins with the V281 has be happier with the V281.

More time needed to really get into the V281

After you've had time with the V281, please post a comparison of it vs. the Phonitor X if you wouldn't mind. I sometimes listen to old Bebop Jazz recordings and often the L-R separation is too much and I need crossfeed for the sound - I'm currently using an ADI-2 DAC to achieve this and thought the Phonitor X might be suitable which would allow me to change DACs in the future. (I have a Corda Jazz-ff amp which has crossfeed but it doesn't compare to the V281 of course).

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #4,163 of 5,976
The question now is: Sell the V281 and keep the Niimbus, or not... Soon!

I see the Nimbus and at first glance I just want to pull the card out and order it. Then I realize that at the end of the day what I have right now headphone stack wise is way overkill and I just cannot justify the Nimbus. I really would love to read your take on the amp as it seems wicked.

The issue with this hobby is there are too many avenues of how to get to the music. Headphones, speakers... it all add's up to living in a van down by the river and stealing someones power.

Apr 12, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #4,164 of 5,976
After you've had time with the V281, please post a comparison of it vs. the Phonitor X if you wouldn't mind. I sometimes listen to old Bebop Jazz recordings and often the L-R separation is too much and I need crossfeed for the sound - I'm currently using an ADI-2 DAC to achieve this and thought the Phonitor X might be suitable which would allow me to change DACs in the future. (I have a Corda Jazz-ff amp which has crossfeed but it doesn't compare to the V281 of course).
I’ve previously owned the Phonitor 2 (which is the predecessor to the Phonitor X), and the ADI-2 dac, and I can say that the Phonitor had far superior crossfeed implementation. The Phonitor does crossfeed in the analog realm while the ADI-2 does it digitally. Not sure if that’s why the former does it better but it was great with old stereo recordings with total channel separation like you’re talking about. That said, I found the V281 to be a better amp than the Phonitor 2. More dynamic and less relaxed than the Phonitor, better bass, better imaging, more power... Maybe use the V281 as a pre-amp for the Phonitor X and see if you can get the best of both worlds?

Apr 12, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #4,165 of 5,976
Headphones, speakers... it all add's up to living in a van down by the river and stealing someones power.

Don't talk about Tyll like that

Maybe use the V281 as a pre-amp for the Phonitor X and see if you can get the best of both worlds?

One can dream. I think the Phonitor is a gorgeous piece of kit, with a better form factor for placing on a desk.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #4,167 of 5,976
I’ve previously owned the Phonitor 2 (which is the predecessor to the Phonitor X), and the ADI-2 dac, and I can say that the Phonitor had far superior crossfeed implementation. The Phonitor does crossfeed in the analog realm while the ADI-2 does it digitally. Not sure if that’s why the former does it better but it was great with old stereo recordings with total channel separation like you’re talking about. That said, I found the V281 to be a better amp than the Phonitor 2. More dynamic and less relaxed than the Phonitor, better bass, better imaging, more power... Maybe use the V281 as a pre-amp for the Phonitor X and see if you can get the best of both worlds?

Thank you for the comparison. It seems the Phonitor would be downgrade from the V281 then.

Apr 13, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #4,169 of 5,976
I agree with that but I would say that a balanced AMP without a balanced DAC does not provide such a big improvement. At the moment I use Chord Qutest which is not balanced.
No need to upgrade the DAC if all that bothers you is the single ended connection. In the V281 the preamp section is single ended, only the power stages are balanced. Signal from the balanced input is first converted to SE anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back