Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jul 30, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #3,796 of 5,991
Hm. I definetly find the V281 worth its price. But sometimes good amps are hard to differentiate with certain songs, especially with similarly tuned amps. I try to be honest about that in my track by track comparisons. But over all, the V281 is quite a big improvement, especially in the treble and bass regions.
I have to agree. I've owned quite a few amps. IMO the V281 is at the top of all the amps I've listened to and owned. Especially with the relay attenuator upgrade. Worth every penny I've spent on it. I've owned the V200, and the V281 far exceeds the V200 in every way. I've also own / owned a Woo WA5, MZ2, ModWright LS 100, Many Bursons, Feliks Elise, iFi, Headamp GSX MKII (this was more of a voicing preference), ect... The only amps that I have listened to that exceeds the V281 is the Apex Pinnacle2 and the First Watt J2 with the Pinnacle2 doing preamp duties. The Pinnacle2 is hands down incredible, and IMO is the best headamp that I've listened to, but at $12K it far exceeds my budget.

One other thing that you should take into account is the ability to roll opamps with the V281. I'm a tweaker and love to upgrade my gear. I've upgraded opamps in most of my SS gear that allows it. I'm in the process of purchasing / testing out some Burson discreet v6 opamps. In my previous SS amps it has made a huge difference in the personality of the amp. More so than tube rolling in my previous tube amps....

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #3,797 of 5,991
I am currently using the -12 setting in balanced mode with the susvara to give you an idea of just how much power the 281 has....

Thanks for that info. The Susvara is 83dB and 60ohms, so is less efficient than the 95dB 200 ohms LCD4, which you used to own as well I think? I wonder if the pre-fade is simply switchable resistors? It seems bonkers having a headphone amp to amplify a signal that is already fairly loud / high level. But as we know the output impedance is a big deal, mine is 55ohms so even though it is low for a tube gain stage is way too high for driving a HP. The 1-10 rule applies more or less. Then you need she loads of current and headroom to drive the headphone with maximum control. Then if we drive it with balanced it has even more control over the drivers. This also applies to speakers amps I have found, especially SS amps.

My amp should land end this week, I will report back how if fairs. Need to run it in, and also my Norne Draug all silver won't be here till the end of the following week.

Am hoping this all blow my socks off!!!!:beyersmile:

Jul 31, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #3,798 of 5,991
Do you have the standard volume pot or the most expensive relay steped one?

What did you think V281 does better?

V281 with HD800 S is not fatiguing in the highs?

Did you listen to the internal dac of the HDV 820? i would be using hugo 2 as dac.

Maybe you have a better dac when you listen at home with V281 then HDV820s internal dac?

Mostly would be the dynamics, resolution and width. The HDV820 is a little bit hazy relative to the V281, I suspect it has to do with the 20(40 for balanced) ohm output impedance if any.

As for the DAC, I have a Lake People RS06 in balanced mode. I also have some ear time with the Hugo 2(2-3 hours) with V281 and find that the Hugo sounds a bit more aggressive and intimate relative to the RS06.

As for the internal DAC of the HDV820, I have yet to hear a "proper" sabre implementation that will match the 800/800S. I'd probably stay away from them for the time being.(at least according to my ears)

V281 is generally not fatiguing, but it also helps if the characteristics of your DAC is also not too aggressive or bright.

I also have the standard volume pot as I don't think $500++ justify small sound improvements(if there is any), remote control(my setup is beside my PC) and an added annoyance(audible clicking when adjusting volume).

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #3,799 of 5,991
I read your great and fun to read comparisions as well the other day. And this makes me question the value of the V281 if you sometimes barely here a diffrence from V200 with HD800.

If you added Sennheiser HDV820 in the HD800 comparision one day, i would love to read that.

On your question about brightness. I have found with my setup the choice of USB cable is a definite tuner option. I have the Curious silver USB cable and the Phasure Lush USB cable, and they are opposite ends of the spectrum. I favour the Lush at the moment, it's character is warmish, smooth and great body. So that would IMO be a better way to 'tune' you system after you get a new amplifier, not look for an amplifier that is overtly coloured or will tame the energetic treble of the HD800s. Then if you changed HPs later or own a different HP at the same time, it could work with both. These USB cables are much cheaper than selling an amp and buying another at this level.

Jul 31, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #3,800 of 5,991
... As for the DAC, I have a Lake People RS06 in balanced mode. I also have some ear time with the Hugo 2(2-3 hours) with V281 and find that the Hugo sounds a bit more aggressive and intimate relative to the RS06.

As for the internal DAC of the HDV820, I have yet to hear a "proper" sabre implementation that will match the 800/800S. I'd probably stay away from them for the time being.(at least according to my ears)

V281 is generally not fatiguing, but it also helps if the characteristics of your DAC is also not too aggressive or bright.

I also have the standard volume pot as I don't think $500++ justify small sound improvements(if there is any), remote control(my setup is beside my PC) and an added annoyance(audible clicking when adjusting volume).
Very interesting. Could you please explain what "a bit more aggressive and intimate" means in your evaluation of the Hugo 2?

I agree with your being disappointed by all Sabre DAC implementations. Each one I heard had some faults, some more, some less.

Jul 31, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #3,801 of 5,991
Very interesting. Could you please explain what "a bit more aggressive and intimate" means in your evaluation of the Hugo 2?

I agree with your being disappointed by all Sabre DAC implementations. Each one I heard had some faults, some more, some less.

Aggressive and Intimate = usually the vocals sounds(3~5khz range) more upfront and sound-stage is a bit more narrower. This is with Ultimate filter setting on the Hugo 2 BTW, haven't tried the Hugo HFR, Mojo and Mojo HFR filters on the Hugo 2.

Jul 31, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #3,802 of 5,991
I agree. Very few sabre implementations really work. What I dislike about them is the fuzzy rendering of instruments and their "bodies" and the etched, edgy treble. Bass rendering is one notish as well and lacks punch/slam (not volume)

I favor a DAC like the RS06 before all Sabres.

Aug 1, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #3,803 of 5,991
@Fegefeuer

AK's implementation of the Sabre on its SE100 futura is probably the closest "analogue" sounding sabre I've ever heard. Then again, it does suffer when it comes to note decay and still sounfd a bit "artificial". (Notes play really solid with body, but still comes off unnatural, if that makes any sense. And no, it's not timbre issues.)

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #3,804 of 5,991
If anyone has ever compared the sound of the V281 with the Gustard H20, please share your impressions. I am contemplating getting another HP amp for a different rig, and considering 3 options : either the Gustard H20, the Monoprice Cavalli Monolith Liquid Platinum (Liquid Crimson), or another V281. The big relative advantage of the H20 and the Liquid Platinum is their prices, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice too much sound quality for that (... If the Liquid Platinum rises to the level of rhe older Liquid Crimson, as it promises to do, for example, I shall go for it, but it is not coming out until October)...

For now, I am interested in how the H20 stacks up against the V281, which I absolutely love.

Aug 1, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #3,805 of 5,991
I'd rather opt for a Black Widow 2 even though it's probably very very hard to get. I was recently told the following, and I trust this man a lot.

"The BW2 has the V281's speed, black background, and liveliness, but is more organic or romantic, moreso in the bass. Where the BW2 fails is driving planars."

Aug 1, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #3,806 of 5,991
Aug 1, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #3,807 of 5,991
I feel a need to ask another technical question wrt the V281 here. It has been indicated a couple of times in this thread, but maybe @fdg could answer with his authority. What is the operating principle, class A or class A/B? Please, Mr. Fried Reim, could you comment on what was chosen for the V281 and why?

PS: My other question regarding the “balanced“ topic was answered VERY satisfactorily. Thanks again.
Please, may I bump this question from two pages back? Thanks for your comments and insight.

Aug 1, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #3,808 of 5,991
I don't know, and I don't think the manual says (could be some kind of custom design), but by process of elimination:

Class A? No, because the v281 doesn't get hot but marginally warm.

Class B? Possibly, it has two amps per channel. Depends on if these do push-pull action. Also possible because v281 gets warm but not hot. However, the v281 has a very low THD, lower than some other class A amps like the Schiit Lyr 2 (class A / AB), so it may not be class B either.

Class AB? Again, the amp doesn't get hot so it's never operating in class A mode I'm sure.

Class D? Most likely not. Lower audio quality and seem to be used for subwoofers in speaker setups.

Aug 1, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #3,809 of 5,991
Aug 1, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #3,810 of 5,991
If anyone has ever compared the sound of the V281 with the Gustard H20, please share your impressions. I am contemplating getting another HP amp for a different rig, and considering 3 options : either the Gustard H20, the Monoprice Cavalli Monolith Liquid Platinum (Liquid Crimson), or another V281. The big relative advantage of the H20 and the Liquid Platinum is their prices, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice too much sound quality for that (... If the Liquid Platinum rises to the level of rhe older Liquid Crimson, as it promises to do, for example, I shall go for it, but it is not coming out until October)...

For now, I am interested in how the H20 stacks up against the V281, which I absolutely love.

I've not heard the H20 but I did own an H10. With Burson opamps it was a beast in sound, drive, and power. Gustard makes very nice kit. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the H10 to someone looking for an excellent low cost headamp. Now the H20 is most likely just as good. I don't see a lot of reviews out there though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back