Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jul 27, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #3,766 of 6,030
If I may ask, what makes the stepped volume remote so superior to the cheaper one? I am asking because there are some posters who make it sound as if the stepped volume control, somehow gives the V281 a sound quality boost that is superior to what it provides with the cheaper remote volume control option, and that is what I am having a hard time wrapping my head around. I mean this equation : stepped remote volume control = higher sound quality?? In my own personal case, I went for the cheaper version of the two remotes, because my impression was that the advantage of the more expensive one simply lay or lies in providing access to a wider range/variety of volume levels; an access, if you will, to a more finely calibrated process of volume control, as opposed to providing an improvement in sq per se (which I still do not understand).

That said, it was never a problem for me to find the appropriate volume level on the V281 in any situation by simply controlling the volume manually. The remote control was simply to enable me to do that same manual controlling from my listening position without having to make any unnecessary trips to the unit itself. The funny thing is that once the ideal volume is set for a particular headphone (which is never a difficult task to start with), I rarely find myself needing to alter that volume level, so the remote actually sees very little use time, (as compared to say my tv remote) , especially, since I can't even use it to power on the V281 or power it off after use. The only time I need to switch volume levels or settings on the v281 is when I change headphones (which I do not do very often), or when I have to set it in pre fader fixed gain mode. For such a relatively limited frequency of use, I thought the cheaper remote version was more than enough for my needs, which is why I did not go for the more expensive one.

With all that said, I still do not understand why some people seem to associate the superior volume control ability of the more expensive remote with superior sq. I am genuinely interested in knowing the reason, because if it is indeed true (and I confess to being profoundly skeptical about that), then I would want to upgrade the quality of my sonic enjoyment by getting the more expensive one.

Any further light you or other forum members can shed on this question would be highly appreciated.:)
The stepped remote control is only useful if you listen to a HP not nearby the v281.It will give
you barely audible difference in sound quality. In a blind test you you will not hear a difference. I had the opportunity to listen to a V281 with and without the stepped remote control for a week .I decided to keep the one without because in a blind test I could hear a difference and I didn’t need a remote control .If you don’t need a remote control You better spend the extra money in better cabling the v281 .It will give a much greater audible difference.

Jul 27, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #3,768 of 6,030
Indeed, @Fegefeuer has linked to technical explanations by Fried Reim in the first post of this thread, one on volume control. Plus, many questions are answered in the FAQ on the Violectric website. Currently, I can‘t reach their German site (under renewal), but their U.S. seems to work. What an amazing amount of literature!

Jul 27, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #3,769 of 6,030
Jul 27, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #3,772 of 6,030
My v281 and a "dual mono" balanced DAC and proven to sound remarkably better then any single ended rig I have ever tried.
There are details being retrieved from files I am very familiar with that I never dreamed was there to BE decoded.

Has been a real eye (ear) opener.

:)
Can you tell us what DAC you're using? Also, what cans you're driving with this chain?

Thanks.

Jul 27, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #3,773 of 6,030
I found this in Singapore. I'm not sure if they are authorized resellers. I would send Violectric an email and ask.

https://www.sgshop.com/taobao
I found this in Singapore. I'm not sure if they are authorized resellers. I would send Violectric an email and ask.

[URL]https://www.sgshop.com/taobao/tao-bao/searchlist?searchKey=violectric

/tao-bao/searchlist?searchKey=violectric[/URL]
There is munkonggadget in Bangkok, Thailand.
I have opted for the silver one with basic feature ( as it was the last unit).
My shipment is stuck in customs. I hope it clears in few days.
I have selected audioquest water rca-rca interconnect cable between hugo2 & v281.
Let's hope for the best.

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #3,775 of 6,030
There is munkonggadget in Bangkok, Thailand.
I have opted for the silver one with basic feature ( as it was the last unit).
My shipment is stuck in customs. I hope it clears in few days.
I have selected audioquest water rca-rca interconnect cable between hugo2 & v281.
Let's hope for the best.
I'm glad you found one! You are in for a treat!

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #3,776 of 6,030
@sahmen when adding the relay volume control to the V281 you are actually changing the electronics behind the manual volume knob. Also, you are adding the electronics to allow it to be remote controlled. I'm pretty sure that Violectric uses the same remote for both remote controlled volume controls. So its just not the ir remote that you are adding.

Technically, in audio, a relay network for volume control is superior in many ways. A few areas that a relay volume control is superior are very important in audio reproduction. These include, but are not limited to, transparency and channel balance. When I first received my V281, with standard volume control, it was muddy with my LCD-3s. After I upgraded to the relay volume control the audio performance changed considerably and there was no more muddiness. These qualities that I mention, I think, would account for the change I heard. Of course YMMV.

Here is a good read from Benchmark on why they choose a relay attenuator for their TOTL products. It explains the different types of volume controls also. https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/benchmarks-256-step-relay-controlled-attenuator

Thanks for your input and the link. I just learnt a few things I did not know... I'd probably had done things differently if I had read that information before going for my first remote volume upgrade two years ago... Now I am not so sure, but thanks again.

The stepped remote control is only useful if you listen to a HP not nearby the v281.It will give
you barely audible difference in sound quality. In a blind test you you will not hear a difference. I had the opportunity to listen to a V281 with and without the stepped remote control for a week .I decided to keep the one without because in a blind test I could hear a difference and I didn’t need a remote control .If you don’t need a remote control You better spend the extra money in better cabling the v281 .It will give a much greater audible difference.

Thanks for your incisive assessment of the SQ performance of the two forms of remote volume upgrades, and especially for reporting the result of your first-hand weeklong comparison of the sonic performances of the two remotes. I am now realizing that I did not understand completely the differences between the two remote models, when I purchased my first remote upgrade. If I had, I would probably have sprung for the relay remote, just for the theoretically claimed slightly superior SQ enhancements it is supposed to provide. Now that I have used the standard remote for two years, and thoroughly enjoyed the v281 for those two years, I do not find the idea of sending my unit back to Violectric for another--rather expensive-- upgrade to be too appealing, especially since the pay-off in real SQ improvement doesn't promise to be exactly and earth-shakingly self-evident, and I wouldn't know what to do with my already existing remote, which I do not want to make simply redundant...

Incidentally, I also sent an inquiry to Arthur at Violectric, and as he usually does, he sent me a very prompt and helpful response, which I am pasting below:
"The standard remote control option uses the same alps potentiometer as the basic V281 with no options, but adds a motor to control the volume level when using the remote.

The relay version is very different. Instead of using a simple potentiometer to add or remove resistance to change the volume level, the relay option use 14 relays each of which have a fixed resistor attached to them. When you turn the volume knob it uses an algorithm to combine combinations of these resistors by engaging or disabling the associated relay to achieve 128 precise volume steps. You will hear clicking sounds from the unit when you adjust the level since the electro mechanical relays are turning on and off until you reach the desired volume level.

So the big question, does this offer any advantage? Honestly it is not a huge difference over the standard volume. It does however improve detail and imaging. It's not a night and day difference but an improvement non the less that many are willing to pay for.

The volume board needs to be changed to a totally different unit for the relay option. So the cost would be the same if you had the remote or not. You may be able to sell the remote board to someone on head-fi looking to upgrade to a remote.

We install this upgrade to the relay volume for free when you purchase the relay option. You just have to pay for shipping to send the unit to us. You can install it yourself if you're handy but it requires a lot of disassembly and drilling out one hole large.

I can not say the improvement with the relay volume is superior in performance. Much more precise volume adjustments yes, less crosstalk and better left to right level matching yes, some audible improvement in sound stage and detail yes, a night and day improvement no. :)"

Again, as I mentioned very helpful and informative, and I especially like the idea that he does not overpromise on the payoff.

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #3,778 of 6,030
Thanks for your input and the link. I just learnt a few things I did not know... I'd probably had done things differently if I had read that information before going for my first remote volume upgrade two years ago... Now I am not so sure, but thanks again.

Thanks for your incisive assessment of the SQ performance of the two forms of remote volume upgrades, and especially for reporting the result of your first-hand weeklong comparison of the sonic performances of the two remotes. I am now realizing that I did not understand completely the differences between the two remote models, when I purchased my first remote upgrade. If I had, I would probably have sprung for the relay remote, just for the theoretically claimed slightly superior SQ enhancements it is supposed to provide. Now that I have used the standard remote for two years, and thoroughly enjoyed the v281 for those two years, I do not find the idea of sending my unit back to Violectric for another--rather expensive-- upgrade to be too appealing, especially since the pay-off in real SQ improvement doesn't promise to be exactly and earth-shakingly self-evident, and I wouldn't know what to do with my already existing remote, which I do not want to make simply redundant...

Incidentally, I also sent an inquiry to Arthur at Violectric, and as he usually does, he sent me a very prompt and helpful response, which I am pasting below:
"The standard remote control option uses the same alps potentiometer as the basic V281 with no options, but adds a motor to control the volume level when using the remote.

The relay version is very different. Instead of using a simple potentiometer to add or remove resistance to change the volume level, the relay option use 14 relays each of which have a fixed resistor attached to them. When you turn the volume knob it uses an algorithm to combine combinations of these resistors by engaging or disabling the associated relay to achieve 128 precise volume steps. You will hear clicking sounds from the unit when you adjust the level since the electro mechanical relays are turning on and off until you reach the desired volume level.

So the big question, does this offer any advantage? Honestly it is not a huge difference over the standard volume. It does however improve detail and imaging. It's not a night and day difference but an improvement non the less that many are willing to pay for.

The volume board needs to be changed to a totally different unit for the relay option. So the cost would be the same if you had the remote or not. You may be able to sell the remote board to someone on head-fi looking to upgrade to a remote.

We install this upgrade to the relay volume for free when you purchase the relay option. You just have to pay for shipping to send the unit to us. You can install it yourself if you're handy but it requires a lot of disassembly and drilling out one hole large.

I can not say the improvement with the relay volume is superior in performance. Much more precise volume adjustments yes, less crosstalk and better left to right level matching yes, some audible improvement in sound stage and detail yes, a night and day improvement no. :)"

Again, as I mentioned very helpful and informative, and I especially like the idea that he does not overpromise on the payoff.
Arthur told me the exact same thing about the potential of the relay volume control upgrade when I inquired about it. I wasn't expecting much. But when I installed the upgrade I was pleasantly surprised. It was a huge upgrade. A few caveats that I thought about with the results... 1) Maybe I had a bad standard volume control?!?! 2) Maybe I'm over sensitive to detail and instrument separation? 3) Maybe I screwed something up when I did the upgrade? Then I spoke with Arthur about my results and he said that some people have had this exact experience when they did the upgrade. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. :D

I've owned a lot of gear and I have noticed that gear with relay volume controls tend to exhibit the characteristics that I experienced with the upgrade of my V281. Of course the gear with this type of volume control is TOTL usually. I didn't listen to that gear with a standard pot, but who knows..... This is a very subjective hobby and everyone has very different instruments between their ears.... So to each their own.

I do know that I LOVE the V281 with the relay volume control. I'm the type of person that buys and sells gear quickly because I want to try the next best thing. But the V281 has stayed on my desk pretty close to the longest any solid state amp has. I'm a tube guy at heart but the V281 is so convenient and sounds fantastic.

Now on to rolling some Burson and NewClassD opamps to see if I can squeeze that last little bit of performance out of the venerable V281.

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #3,779 of 6,030
Very nice! How does the XiangSheng compare to other DACs?

The balanced dual mono DAC gets details I never heard before in music I am very familiar with...

The sound of the chair the musician is sitting in, creaking a bit as they shift positions. A singers mouth opens, hear the saliva part.
There is texture/space/air/details in, around, above and below each instrument. Lesser DAC's sound like a flat field, this one sounds like the sound is in context of
a "space" (a room) where the music is being played.

Pretty dramatic improvement actually. I bought the XS not expecting much and was pleasantly surprised at how much I like it.

And of course the V281 just bring that goodness forth in fine form.

Jul 28, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #3,780 of 6,030
I have to say this pairing is excellent with Zu Audio Omen IIs. So detailed, nuanced, and impactful. I love the 10" full range drivers. it's a huge upgrade from 6" drivers in my old Sierra IIs. The Pass ACA power amp is an amazing little performer with only 8 watts and pairs superbly with the V281. The ACA was a super fun build too, I highly recommend doing a build if you like putting together electronics.

P1000348.png P1000243800.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back