Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Apr 17, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #2,836 of 5,977
  totally agree with that statement.

I don't really agree. Then again, I only know part of the Cavalli vs Violectric story.

I"m running a brand new, fully burned-in Liquid Carbon vs a used/mint condition V281. I can hear each balanced via ZMF Ori, or SE through other HPs.

I had no expectations for the LC. It's small, runs hot, doesn't look like a big-league amp, especially viewed side-by-side with the V281 (like comparing a skinny 12-hr old to Superman).

But...reality is surprising. The LC sounds HUGE; what I hear from it in no way matches its appearance. It has way more power than the Ori needs (not all amps do). But this is about more than just gain. What the LC does with its power is very pleasing sonically. I'm still getting to know this little amp. Just heard it for a few minutes on a real endgame amp (ZMF Eikon), and it sounds crazy/good. Big, somewhat warm, w/a ton of soundstaging. And the bass is the biggest surprise--it's right up there w/the V281 in depth, impact, and overall bass presentation (I never saw that coming).

By contrast, the V281 really is Superman--endless confidence, power, black background, effortless authority top-to-bottom, really state-of-the-art bass (quanity/quality/impact). I'm crazy about the V281; it sounds like it looks...big, authoritative, friendly, not at all oppressive.

I suppose the more rational comparison would be betw the V281 (which retails for ~$2,900) with one of the higher/more expensive Cavalli models. I'm just not able to do that comp, sadly.

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #2,837 of 5,977
I don't really agree. Then again, I only know part of the Cavalli vs Violectric story.

I"m running a brand new, fully burned-in Liquid Carbon vs a used/mint condition V281. I can hear each balanced via ZMF Ori, or SE through other HPs.

I had no expectations for the LC. It's small, runs hot, doesn't look like a big-league amp, especially viewed side-by-side with the V281 (like comparing a skinny 12-hr old to Superman).

But...reality is surprising. The LC sounds HUGE; what I hear from it in no way matches its appearance. It has way more power than the Ori needs (not all amps do). But this is about more than just gain. What the LC does with its power is very pleasing sonically. I'm still getting to know this little amp. Just heard it for a few minutes on a real endgame amp (ZMF Eikon), and it sounds crazy/good. Big, somewhat warm, w/a ton of soundstaging. And the bass is the biggest surprise--it's right up there w/the V281 in depth, impact, and overall bass presentation (I never saw that coming).

By contrast, the V281 really is Superman--endless confidence, power, black background, effortless authority top-to-bottom, really state-of-the-art bass (quanity/quality/impact). I'm crazy about the V281; it sounds like it looks...big, authoritative, friendly, not at all oppressive.

I suppose the more rational comparison would be betw the V281 (which retails for ~$2,900) with one of the higher/more expensive Cavalli models. I'm just not able to do that comp, sadly.
Liquid Carbon is exception like Chord mojo is.

Apr 17, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #2,838 of 5,977
it's why you gotta make sure your chain is up to the task
I recommend avoiding USB into DACs and going in either via a converter/reclocker into coax, from a CD transport into coax or building your own transport through Raspberry Pi. You might not want to put belief in this, but you might try it and then see for yourself. High end DACs profit as well and even more. Avoiding USB is now my fetish.

In my experience, it really depends on the devices in question. After having many dozens of DACs and streamers and transports etc roll through my system over the last couple years... I really have no solid conclusions to draw on this topic. There are some generalities though, but unfortunately they don't line up with any single approach.

The one constant I have found is that dedicated devices seem to outperform the PC/MacBook approach every time. My expensive custom built silent PC (not customized for audio, just general use) is easily bettered by the little $450 SOtM sMS-200, and that's before any linear PSU tweaks are added. Even the affordable Sonicorbiter SE is better than my PC, and my MacBook Pro as well. 

My only advise is to try things for yourself and don't be afraid of any one implementation just because it is theoretically inferior. USB can sound amazing. So can coax SPDIF and even humble Toslink in some cases. It all comes down the implementation and, to some degree, the elusive "synergy". I hate that word, but there it is. 

Cavali brand is super overpriced in my opinion. They offer nothing more than V281 or head amp gsx 2 solid state from what i read.

I probably should keep quiet on this, but I totally agree as well, based on personal experience. 

Apr 17, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #2,839 of 5,977

The one constant I have found is that dedicated devices seem to outperform the PC/MacBook approach every time. My expensive custom built silent PC (not customized for audio, just general use) is easily bettered by the little $450 SOtM sMS-200, and that's before any linear PSU tweaks are added. Even the affordable Sonicorbiter SE is better than my PC, and my MacBook Pro as well. 

In what instance though? Lower noise floor? Different Tonality?

Apr 18, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #2,840 of 5,977

In my experience, it really depends on the devices in question. After having many dozens of DACs and streamers and transports etc roll through my system over the last couple years... I really have no solid conclusions to draw on this topic. There are some generalities though, but unfortunately they don't line up with any single approach.

My only advise is to try things for yourself and don't be afraid of any one implementation just because it is theoretically inferior. USB can sound amazing. So can coax SPDIF and even humble Toslink in some cases. It all comes down the implementation and, to some degree, the elusive "synergy". I hate that word, but there it is. 

I probably should keep quiet on this, but I totally agree as well, based on personal experience. 

well, I guess with PCs the C-states and tons of circuits, fluctuating load variances create more noise than in a tiny device like the SOtM. 

For me as a PC user direct USB never reached coax levels even when the device was the only USB device hanging on the controller with stable 5V. No dropouts, no noise, no artefacts, nothing. Simply inferior in sound. Edgy, less refined in the highs, slightly fuzzy imaging and bass looser. Not only with this DAC but my former D2 as well. 

The irony is that I'm still on the USB port but using a dedicated USB/SPDIF-Converter with its own PSU and it turned out to be noticably better. Blacker background, finally the coarsy highs are gone, the slight midbass accentuation of the DAC now hits hard like a giant's mace. Everything's much more in control and cleaner, the ceiling/limits of the DAC is now clear. 

So far the only upgrade I'm longing for is a DAC that plays in the league of the V281.

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #2,841 of 5,977

well, I guess with PCs the C-states and tons of circuits, fluctuating load variances create more noise than in a tiny device like the SOtM. 

For me as a PC user direct USB never reached coax levels even when the device was the only USB device hanging on the controller with stable 5V. No dropouts, no noise, no artefacts, nothing. Simply inferior in sound. Edgy, less refined in the highs, slightly fuzzy imaging and bass looser. Not only with this DAC but my former D2 as well. 

The irony is that I'm still on the USB port but using a dedicated USB/SPDIF-Converter with its own PSU and it turned out to be noticably better. Blacker background, finally the coarsy highs are gone, the slight midbass accentuation of the DAC now hits hard like a giant's mace. Everything's much more in control and cleaner, the ceiling/limits of the DAC is now clear. 

So far the only upgrade I'm longing for is a DAC that plays in the league of the V281.

Have you heard Schiit Yggdrasil ? Alot of TOTL HP owners use this DAC and praises it for its damn accuracy for live instruments and drums!

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #2,842 of 5,977
yes, I've heard it. It's a damn good DAC but it's a bit too expensive for me and I'm not a friend of always on devices - which is a must for the Yggy. Other than that I'd have owned one by now. 

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #2,843 of 5,977

I have an Audio GD NOS 19 (true non-oversampling version of DAC-19)--and IMO it plays extremely well with the V281. Listening to the combo now.

I'm told NOS DACs are not for everyone. Apparently I'm the someone they are for...love this sound, completely un-DAC like. It's as non-digital as digital gets.

I'm on the hunt for a new or used DAC-19, motivated by long-time curiosity about its sound (much praised on Head-Fi) as well as awareness this model's run is just about over @Audio GD (replaced by the new "Singlarity" R2 R DAC).

And yes, USB straight from the PC sounds deficient in subtle ways to me. For past 10 yrs I've had S/PDIF devices outputting coax to the DAC. And no matter which DAC I did it with, coax routinely sounded fuller, more open, slightly warmer, and altogether less strained than USB straight in. Upgrading the coax cable from BJ to Oyaide DR-510 was totally worth the cost--good coax sound got better. Since I have no high-rez files and like the sound of coax so much, I have no incentive to play w/USB from the S/PDF. BTW, I have a USB Regen on the input side of the S/PDIF converter. I can't hear any difference from its presence (not every tweak or upgrade is audible).

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #2,844 of 5,977
Well, my two cents about digital inputs. I have two DACs: Violectric V800 and TEAC UD-501.

TEAC sounds better via USB. The quality of the sound via coax/toslink depends on the source. Even with upsampling which should remove jitter!

On the other hand, V800 does not depend on the source or cable via coax/toslink in "Best"/upsampling mode.
I can not compare this with USB. I removed this PCB because TENOR implementation was buggy/unstable.

So, according to this, I can only support @project86, saying you need to check how it actually works in your case, with your equipment.
But I don't support the idea, what PC or Mac as a source sound worse. I think it depends on implementation.

Apr 18, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #2,845 of 5,977

I have an Audio GD NOS 19 (true non-oversampling version of DAC-19)--and IMO it plays extremely well with the V281. Listening to the combo now.

I'm told NOS DACs are not for everyone. Apparently I'm the someone they are for...love this sound, completely un-DAC like. It's as non-digital as digital gets.

I'm on the hunt for a new or used DAC-19, motivated by long-time curiosity about its sound (much praised on Head-Fi) as well as awareness this model's run is just about over @Audio GD (replaced by the new "Singlarity" R2 R DAC).

And yes, USB straight from the PC sounds deficient in subtle ways to me. For past 10 yrs I've had S/PDIF devices outputting coax to the DAC. And no matter which DAC I did it with, coax routinely sounded fuller, more open, slightly warmer, and altogether less strained than USB straight in. Upgrading the coax cable from BJ to Oyaide DR-510 was totally worth the cost--good coax sound got better. Since I have no high-rez files and like the sound of coax so much, I have no incentive to play w/USB from the S/PDF. BTW, I have a USB Regen on the input side of the S/PDIF converter. I can't hear any difference from its presence (not every tweak or upgrade is audible).

I am a fellow NOS DAC fan.  I purchased a Metrum Musette earlier in the year and I absolutely love it.  I have an ESI Juli@ pci-x sound card that has an RCA S/PDIF connection via breakout cable and it is pairs nicely with the Musette (and also worked well with the Mimby I owned before it).

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #2,846 of 5,977

I think this is much more evident on heavily overclocked systems.

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #2,847 of 5,977

In what instance though? Lower noise floor? Different Tonality?

Yes to both, along with superior treble reproduction and imaging/soundstage. It's not absolutely night and day... but I've heard bigger differences going fro basic laptop to dedicated server than I have going from good DAC to great DAC. Obviously depending on the devices in question. 

I think this is much more evident on heavily overclocked systems.

That's probably true, but I find improvements even from standard systems as well.

May 7, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #2,848 of 5,977
I only have a RCA output on my DAC (Marantz HD DAC1) and plan to send signal to the v281 via RCA only. I'm just curious if its really a big advantage if i switch to a DAC with XLR outputs.

I must note that my DAC is already tonally excellent so I am hesitant to lose this DAC just because its missing XLR outputs...

May 7, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #2,849 of 5,977
I only have a RCA output on my DAC (Marantz HD DAC1) and plan to send signal to the v281 via RCA only. I'm just curious if its really a big advantage if i switch to a DAC with XLR outputs.

I must note that my DAC is already tonally excellent so I am hesitant to lose this DAC just because its missing XLR outputs...

I don't think there is something wrong with that.
Just note what your signal will be converted to balanced to feed to 4 amplifiers inside V281.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back