Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
May 8, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #2,851 of 5,991
Awesome thanks for the assurance. I just got my v281 and partnered it with the Marantz DAC. It truly is a great match.

Now onto the next question.
I have observed that the balance knob (?) on my unit is acting weird. If i twist the knob to the right, the right channel (either via HD800S or via amplified hifi speakers) does get louder as expected, and I hear the left channel a lot less. Now when I twist the knob to the left, its another story: the left channel does not get louder as much as the right channel did, and I do not hear the right channel losing much gain as well. Is this a defect on my unit?

I did reset the knob to its default position and checked for channel balance. It seems alright when everything is at default. Its just weird that twisting the knob to the left does not give me the expected resulting sound. Can somebody here try it on their v281 and let me know if it does anything different? Obviously I'd like to know how yours perform before I breathe onto somebody's neck down there at my local distributor's.

Addendum: I used different songs, as well as dual mono pink noise to establish a hypothesis.

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #2,852 of 5,991
Awesome thanks for the assurance. I just got my v281 and partnered it with the Marantz DAC. It truly is a great match.

Now onto the next question.
I have observed that the balance knob (?) on my unit is acting weird. If i twist the knob to the right, the right channel (either via HD800S or via amplified hifi speakers) does get louder as expected, and I hear the left channel a lot less. Now when I twist the knob to the left, its another story: the left channel does not get louder as much as the right channel did, and I do not hear the right channel losing much gain as well. Is this a defect on my unit?

I did reset the knob to its default position and checked for channel balance. It seems alright when everything is at default. Its just weird that twisting the knob to the left does not give me the expected resulting sound. Can somebody here try it on their v281 and let me know if it does anything different? Obviously I'd like to know how yours perform before I breathe onto somebody's neck down there at my local distributor's.

Addendum: I used different songs, as well as dual mono pink noise to establish a hypothesis.

This is by design. The balance control changes the level for right channel only to not affect crosstalk.

May 8, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #2,853 of 5,991
This is by design. The balance control changes the level for right channel only to not affect crosstalk.

If what you said is true, then it seems like it's a weird implementation don't you think? I got so used to Integrated amplifiers doing it correctly, I cant help but think that Violectric's decision to do that is quite pointless. Why put it there if only the right channel is going to follow suit? :triportsad:

May 8, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #2,854 of 5,991
If what you said is true...
V281 manual, page 17:

"BALANCE CONTROL is provided to compensate moderate level differences between left and right channel. These may root in the recorded material itself, noticeable differences between left and right headphone system, or differences in the user’s individual hearing. All of the above can be carefully compensated. The balance control offers a precise center detent in case no adjustment is necessary. In order not to impair the V281’s perfect crosstalk specs, it takes effect on the right channel only"

May 8, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #2,857 of 5,991
There is no need to go in and start changing things up if it works. I agree with ArthurPower.
My Mytek Brooklyn has an XLR and and a Single Ended out. I run the XLR to my WA5-LE and the single ended to my V281. I'm really amazed at the resolution and dynamics. I've used both in the V281 and I can't hear a world of difference if any.

May 15, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #2,858 of 5,991
Thoroughly impressed by this unit. I also use it as a preamp to a NAD 375 (power amp mode) connected to a Wharfedale Jade 5, and everything sounds more 'correct'. I am an audiophile that has no care for audio poetry but the V281 outperformed the NAD class A built-in preamp in transparency and ease of flow. It made me feel like as if I am using a Hegel H160. I am seriously thinking of getting a separate power amp in the near future and utilize the V281 as a preamp.

This brings me to the question: is it possible to DIY a remote control for the V281? I will just say that it is impossible to send the amp to Germany for them to install the a new pot.

May 15, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #2,859 of 5,991
Thoroughly impressed by this unit. I also use it as a preamp to a NAD 375 (power amp mode) connected to a Wharfedale Jade 5, and everything sounds more 'correct'. I am an audiophile that has no care for audio poetry but the V281 outperformed the NAD class A built-in preamp in transparency and ease of flow. It made me feel like as if I am using a Hegel H160. I am seriously thinking of getting a separate power amp in the near future and utilize the V281 as a preamp.

This brings me to the question: is it possible to DIY a remote control for the V281? I will just say that it is impossible to send the amp to Germany for them to install the a new pot.

Maybe it is possible to buy upgrade kit with instructions? Have you asked this @ violectric?

May 15, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #2,860 of 5,991

I have the remote and stepped attenuator on mine. I don't think that it's a field serviceable modification. The best you could is possibly do is to have a US service centre do the conversion.

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #2,861 of 5,991
I have the 128-stepped pot (a big upgrade from the standard, stepped pot) + remote control.

What you suggest about DIY remote is kind of logic trap:
  • If you really know what you're doing in electronics, you might be able to open the case of the V281 and identify certain on/off functions that might be controllable by DIY remote (a lot of work)
  • But the one function that matters most to everybody--control of volume--is pretty complicated to control via remote. Violectric does it by installing a small electrical motor that turns the big pot, and that motor is remote-controlled.
This really isn't the kind of thing most people wouldn't attempt on a DIY basis.

Jun 10, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #2,863 of 5,991
Well, I've never heard the stock V281, so not sure if there are any sonic differences. I wouldn't expect so...they use really excellent stepped ALPS pots (the non-motorized kind) throughout the Violectric & Lake People lines. The one in my Lake People G109-A is just about as good as a stepped pot gets IMO sonically (ie, apart from the "number of steps" issue).

The improvements w/the 128-step, motorized/remote-controlled stepped pot come down to functionality:
  • There are finally "enough steps" so that even this behemoth of a power-amp can be controlled when feeding low-impedance, efficient headphones. I always manage to "find the right step," which is would be more difficult if the stock 41-step pot was there (or 43-step? I forget the spec).
  • And of course, remote control is very user-friendly in the sense that you can be 2-3 feet away and still get it done.
  • The upgrade pot also makes the preamp function of the V281 (insanely good IMO, in terms of bass, dynamics, and "jump factor") even more useable/useful. It's just easier to find the right step for volume, making the V281 easier to control even on low-impedance/efficient headhones.
But it's not a perfect world. IMO, the best volume control I've ever encountered is that on the Audio GD SA-31SE, another power amp that basically sounds nothing quite like the V281 and is not quite in its league. The SA-31SE, also remote-controllable, uses 100, relay-controlled steps to moderate volume. Instead of a trad volume knob, this unit uses an UP and DOWN button (on the display & on the remote) that dials in volume, up or down, 1 step at a time, There is also some level of PLC-control of these relays, in the sense that more "steps" are allocated between zero and medium-low volume, vs fewer to medium-to-loud (up to "deafness") volumes. That turns out to be very well chosen, since I rarely get above "55" even for a planar HP on lowest gain.

When I first got the SA-31SE, I hated this volume system, thought it insane you can't just press continuously on UP or DOWN button to make the volume rapidly ramp up or down. You have to go 1 step at a time (meaning you must press the button repeatedly to turn it way up or down). But I soon came to really appreciate this system. I can ultra-precisely "dial in" any volume, and because the # of steps is displayed on the alphanumeric, front-panel display, I know from experience what volume "works" for any given situation.

The V281 isn't quite as controllable, and there's no apparent logic/loading of steps happening in this pot. Even w/discrete taps on the up/down volume rocker-switch, it's rather easy to "jump steps." And w/headphones in particular, I sometimes hear little anomalies, such as a lower step sounding louder than a higher one (briefly). For all I know, this pot is dirty & needs attention (I bought it used)--so don't put a lot of faith in the comments in this paragraph.

Net/net: I highly recommend the upgrade pot for the V281 & wouldn't want to do without it. The V281 s an extremely powerful and dynamic amp; it's way too easy to hurt yourself (on headphones or speakers) by thoughtless over-pressing of that rocker. But if you keep you wits about you, that power is very controllable w/128 steps at your fingertips.

PS: I use the V281 at the lowest gain setting & it's still so powerful. I never opened it up to check "pre-gain" (internal jumpers that set gain differently from the external gain settings). Maybe mine is at a higher gain that I realize. Either way, this thing is incredibly powerful and should be treated with respect.

Jun 10, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #2,864 of 5,991
PS-2: another quirk of the very large volume pot dial on the V281 (which I believe is the same for stock volume pot vs 128-step upgrade pot) is that you literally can't see what the current volume setting is. There's an indented hashmark in dial, but it's black on black & really only useful if you're physically turning the dial (which I never do--preferring to use the remote). I got around this by pasting a thin piece of gummed paper (cut from an address level) across the side-to-front of the dial, over where that indented hashmark is. This helps incredibly well to "see the volume" setting.

Jun 11, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #2,865 of 5,991

Users who are viewing this thread

Back